What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (13 Viewers)

Does anyone else hate the term "flu like symptoms" ?

In his interview after the game Pulisic basically said he was fighting a minor cold the last two days and was feeling fine during the game.

I sometimes wish anyone who uses the term flu in any way should actually experience it for just a day and they would never again use that term for a cold.

In his interview after the game Pulisic basically said he was fighting a minor cold the last two days and was feeling fine during the game.

I sometimes wish anyone who uses the term flu in any way should actually experience it for just a day and they would never again use that term for a cold.
It was Berhalter covering his ### is all.  Pulisic said he was fine and didn't want to come out.  Pulisic clearly wasn't happy about being taken out and Gregg realized he was gonna get flak for it.  Flu-like symptoms is an easy cop out.

Nodding my head furiously at this.  I know it was a "lower" technical brand of soccer but I miss the US teams that played hard and tight defense and then said "catch Landon if you can" a few times a game

=============

@_jameshill

The ball-playing DMs are a classic "too clever by half" move. Ball-playing ability is great, but you need the DM to provide the D. We've also made tiny increases in our ability to build through possession in exchange for a 75% decrease in our danger on the counterattack.

Imo, "flu-like symptoms" means: fever, stomach/gi issues, weakness/aches. Any one or combo of those is enough to debilitate. If CP said a cold, that's none of that.

It was Berhalter covering his ### is all.  Pulisic said he was fine and didn't want to come out.  Pulisic clearly wasn't happy about being taken out and Gregg realized he was gonna get flak for it.  Flu-like symptoms is an easy cop out.
:goodposting:

I got the sense he was trying to give CP an out, but mainly himself for benching CP.

I feel this way about food poisoning. People throw this around like crazy. "I missed work yesterday because I think I might have had food poisoning."

No, if you actually had food poisoning, you'd know it, not think it, and you would have spent at least the entire day hoping for the sweet release of death.

Is it ever going to end?

=================

@tutulismyname

With the loss against Canada, the USMNT Elo ranking dropped below 1700, ranking us #43 in the world. The last time our ranking was below 1700, was in Jan 1999. This is literally the worst our team has been this century

Is there any serious talk of getting rid of Berhalter?
you mean from US Soccer?  I don't think we will hear anything one way or another until it happens.

The fans and and media are unusually united that something has to change soon to give a new coach any hope of getting things sorted before the hex.

Looks like JK is finally getting back in the game.  Super interesting spot as well

======================================

@JuanG_Arango

Being confirmed to me by multiples sources...

@J_klinsmann is going to be announced as new coach of @FEFecuador

Yes, it was reported before that talks fell through, but they were back on track and he would be “announced in the next couple of days”.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like JK is finally getting back in the game.  Super interesting spot as well

======================================

@JuanG_Arango

Being confirmed to me by multiples sources...

@J_klinsmann is going to be announced as new coach of @FEFecuador

Yes, it was reported before that talks fell through, but they were back on track and he would be “announced in the next couple of days”.
His team beat Ecuador in Copa America 100.

Is there any serious talk of getting rid of Berhalter?
They wouldn’t do it until after the MLS playoffs and even that list is fairly short.  You have a US list of Ramos, Bradley, Vanney, and I guess Vermes.  Then there are internationals like Torrent, Almeyda, and maybe Heath.  Point being is it’s a fairly short list.  

They wouldn’t do it until after the MLS playoffs and even that list is fairly short.  You have a US list of Ramos, Bradley, Vanney, and I guess Vermes.  Then there are internationals like Torrent, Almeyda, and maybe Heath.  Point being is it’s a fairly short list.  
Poch might be available soon.

Btw...I'm at a point where I'm finding myself dreading opening this thread. What new level of decline and mishap am I going to find?...

I thought Berhalter was going to work out well.  Maybe it was just wishful thinking, but he's had what 15-18 games at the helm and they are awful. 

I have a good friend who came up the scouting ranks at KC.  He loves Vermes and his attention to detail (any detail).   My friend has always thought he'd be an ideal US coach b/c of his control issues/attention to detail; but that he'd never be hired b/c US Soccer wouldn't want to do the things that Vermes would demand they do to "do it right".    During this last hiring cycle, I thought I read someplace that Vermes put together quite a detailed proposal for how he'd run US Soccer if given the job.   I have no idea if he'd be good for the job. 

I've wanted Ramos. I love the way his teams play.  I know folks complained/questioned him about some of his selections and at times his tactics/decisions.  But, I don't think anyone knows our upcoming players better and besides what coach isn't questioned on some items.  I think, Tab, for the most part, relates to the players well and they respect him.  I think he'd be the perfect fit.  

I thought Berhalter was going to work out well.  Maybe it was just wishful thinking, but he's had what 15-18 games at the helm and they are awful. 

I have a good friend who came up the scouting ranks at KC.  He loves Vermes and his attention to detail (any detail).   My friend has always thought he'd be an ideal US coach b/c of his control issues/attention to detail; but that he'd never be hired b/c US Soccer wouldn't want to do the things that Vermes would demand they do to "do it right".    During this last hiring cycle, I thought I read someplace that Vermes put together quite a detailed proposal for how he'd run US Soccer if given the job.   I have no idea if he'd be good for the job. 

I've wanted Ramos. I love the way his teams play.  I know folks complained/questioned him about some of his selections and at times his tactics/decisions.  But, I don't think anyone knows our upcoming players better and besides what coach isn't questioned on some items.  I think, Tab, for the most part, relates to the players well and they respect him.  I think he'd be the perfect fit.  
This is a big part why they look so bad right now, no?  GGG is so detail oriented that guys look robotic and overthinking instead of free flowing/creative.  

I think in reference to the 'attention to detail' meant more about the entire program details moreso than the play on the field.   I doubt with a guy like Vermes we'd ever have to wonder if someone is calling the dual-nats.  I think it was probably in his plan about who would be doing that and how often and probably dictate what would be said to them on the 1st contact and what is said to them on the 9th....

I'm not sure how Vermes would differ with his on-field stuff.   

Vermes was very critical of US Soccer after talking to them.  You don't need to read between the lines much to believe he thinks the organization is directionless.

Here is a snippet from an interview he did:

SOCCER AMERICA: You recently discussed with U.S. Soccer its openings for a general manager and head coach, and decided instead to extend your contract with SKC until 2023. During those discussions with USSF what did you learn or glean regarding what it intends to do in the future?
PETER VERMES: I wish I could. I don’t know. I don’t have any idea of what those steps are.

SA: So how can a search be conducted if the federation doesn’t seem to know what it is looking for or what it wants to do?
VERMES: Honestly, it’s hard for me to answer that question. I’m really serious. They want a coach and a GM but I don’t know what their plans are beyond that. I really don’t know.

SA: What do you think should be done?
VERMES: I truly want us to take advantage. We can talk about what happened but to me it’s irrelevant at this point. I want to see what the plan is going forward. If our only objective is to qualify for the World Cup, I don’t even know why we’re in this. We should be doing so much more. We need to create a complete system from the grassroots up, and I think the responsibility for the leadership should be U.S. Soccer.

We have to be much more specific about who we are and what our model of play is, what our culture is when you go to the national team. I look at it as a gift. There are moments in life when you’re given a chance to hit the reset button and this is one of those moments.

SA: How does that process start?
VERMES: I don’t know the answer because I’m not there. What I want to hear and you want to hear and we all want to hear is, what is the plan? What are we doing? I would agree that you don’t have to blow the whole thing up and start all over again. But you do have to realize there have been some major failures and you have to evaluate it and come up with a plan. And to come up with a plan you have to have a goal. I want to know what the goal is.

The goal has to be something more than to qualify for the World Cup. There’s different goals. I’m a big believer in that to build a team you need a model of play. In all sports, all teams want to win. Why do some teams win? They have a way to play and they use certain players and build their team in a certain way. There’s a reason they are consistently competitive.

If you don’t have a way to play, I’m gonna tell you the only way you’ll get results is because you were lucky that day everybody was on form. But when you know how to play, results are a byproduct of knowing what you’re doing, what your model of play is. We need to get to place where we have a plan on the field, a plan off the field, a plan for recruiting players, a plan for identifying players.

I just want to hear what the goals are and what’s the plan to reach those goals.

Good post re: Vermes. From what I understand he is pretty much in charge of every aspect of everything at SKC, and you can tell how unimpressed he was after he met with USSoccer. I doubt he'd take a call from them unless the plan is to let him do whatever he wants. 

It is a super short list for sure.  It would take some imagination to look outside the box though and US Soccer has far too little of that.

Marsch is a big name who is on record saying that he wants the job, but I honestly see him leaving Red Bull as less likely than Bradley leaving LA.

Some other very long shots might be Wagner and Cherundolo.   There are likely to be a cadre of coaches fired this winter, but so many if not all of those would have a long learning curve to get ready for the hex.

It is a super short list for sure.  It would take some imagination to look outside the box though and US Soccer has far too little of that.

Marsch is a big name who is on record saying that he wants the job, but I honestly see him leaving Red Bull as less likely than Bradley leaving LA.

Some other very long shots might be Wagner and Cherundolo.   There are likely to be a cadre of coaches fired this winter, but so many if not all of those would have a long learning curve to get ready for the hex.
It doesn't matter anyway.  Gregg will be our head coach until at least next November, even if he loses every game from now until then.  It would take a 4 or 5 goal loss to Cuba next month for there to be any possibility of it happening then.  There is no way Jay is firing his brother unless there are a million fans with pitchforks outside his office window demanding it.  

The issue isn't really GGG being a terrible coach(although he is).   The issue is much much deeper than that within USSoccer and I can't see it being fixed anytime soon.  

Ives is reporting that Julian Green, Bacon and Rubin are all being removed from the MLS allocation list which means their freedom of movement into MLS increases significantly should any team want them.

Ives is reporting that Julian Green, Bacon and Rubin are all being removed from the MLS allocation list which means their freedom of movement into MLS increases significantly should any team want them.
I think Green and Bacon in particular could both thrive in MLS.  Could be a pathway back to the USMNT for either of them.

I think Green and Bacon in particular could both thrive in MLS.  Could be a pathway back to the USMNT for either of them.
If Bacon was ever healthy, he is an auto upgrade over Zardes at least.

I think Green would be an upgrade over Roldan as well but I could name ten players who would also be upgrades over Roldan so that may not be saying much.

NewlyRetired said:
Miles Robinson recent injury is keeping him out of Atlanta's first playoff game against the Revs.
more crap for the heap.

De Boer and the Atlanta fan base are up in arms now that it came out that Miles got hurt while running conditioning after the game on the request of Berhalter.  Miles is considered one of the most in shape players in the league and De Boer specifically asked Berhalter ahead of time to limit this stuff.

more crap for the heap.

De Boer and the Atlanta fan base are up in arms now that it came out that Miles got hurt while running conditioning after the game on the request of Berhalter.  Miles is considered one of the most in shape players in the league and De Boer specifically asked Berhalter ahead of time to limit this stuff.
If true, that's shambolic

Not really a surprise, but the twitter pitchforks are out in full force in reply to FDB's comments.  To be clear the pitchforks are lighting up USSF and GGG.  
I think they have a point to be honest.

If this was a January camp, making MLS players run conditioning makes sense since they are out of season.  But having an already in shape player do it when he has a playoff game days away and has been playing 90 minutes every game all year is really dumb imo.

I think they have a point to be honest.

If this was a January camp, making MLS players run conditioning makes sense since they are out of season.  But having an already in shape player do it when he has a playoff game days away and has been playing 90 minutes every game all year is really dumb imo.
Really really dumb.

That's why I said "if true" earlier...doesn't make any sense at all for a national team coach in a short camp for competitive games at the end of the league season to be doing this. Gggg may not be a great answer for coach, but he doesn't strike me as this oblivious...feel like there's more to the story than ggg making the kid run after the game.

Is that normal when it's the middle of the club season? 

nvm, saw the post above. I was trying to figure out how much outrage to feign

It was not just Robinson.  All players who did not play in the game did conditioning after from what I read.
Sure... But there's stretching the legs out to keep them fresh, and there's "conditioning". As we've all been saying, no point to the latter in this situation. But makes sense to have the no playing players shake out the legs a bit. I'm sure it's something FdB does with his team too.

Guy has to go, end of story. Results just aren't there and we have to move on, easy decision. I don't even really see the downside. 

Guy has to go, end of story. Results just aren't there and we have to move on, easy decision. I don't even really see the downside. 
Only to hold on to is that they've been "building a system" that now gets tossed out the window and started over.

That said...I don't see any progress in the system, and I dont see it working against better teams regardless, unless our players get better individually somehow. 

Users who are viewing this thread