What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (14 Viewers)

The Dest saga appears to be reaching a crescendo

========================

Manuel Veth

@ManuelVeth

Dutch sources, #Bayern have reached terms with #Ajax to sign #USMNT right back Sergiño Dest.

So it appears that we have 3 players who all have strong arguments to be a captain.

*Pulisic is the best player on the field and clearly "cares"

*Adams is the most calm, is very well spoken and looks to be a natural locker room leader

*Weston is the fiery leave everything on the field type of guy you want to go to battle with leader.

So it appears that we have 3 players who all have strong arguments to be a captain.

*Adams is the most calm, is very well spoken and looks to be a natural locker room leader

*Weston is the fiery leave everything on the field type of guy you want to go to battle with leader.
Well we all know that only one of them will be healthy at any given time, so I think it's pretty easy. 

The first time I saw Swag play was in a friendly for the U.S. and I was immediately struck by his fearlessness and aggressiveness.

I love Adams' motor/work rate and he seems to have a certain 'spark' to him.

CP actually doesn't do a lot for me, despite his talent.

If we hadn't gone through the calamity of failing to qualify for the last WC, maybe I'd vote CP (as the program would be a little more defined), and in a few years, maybe I'd choose Adams if he gets over the injury bug, but considering where US soccer is right now, we need a ballsy guy like Weston. Plus, to my inexperience eye, he plays more like an alpha male than the other two.

So, looking at UEFA Champions League for 2020-21, here's what I see:

-- Pulisic (Chelsea)

-- McKennie (Juventus)

-- Reyna (Dortmund)

-- Adams (RB Leipzig)

-- Dest (Ajax or Bayern?)

-- Steffen (Man City)

-- Horvath (Club Brugge)

Honorable Mentions -- Konrad (Barcelona B) and Richards (Bayern 2)

So 5 players that will be starting or getting quality minutes for top-tier teams plus two backup GKs.  And if not for Besiktas just getting knocked out, we could have added Boyd to that list as well.

Anyone else I'm missing?

So, looking at UEFA Champions League for 2020-21, here's what I see:

-- Pulisic (Chelsea)

-- McKennie (Juventus)

-- Reyna (Dortmund)

-- Adams (RB Leipzig)

-- Dest (Ajax or Bayern?)

-- Steffen (Man City)

-- Horvath (Club Brugge)

Honorable Mentions -- Konrad (Barcelona B) and Richards (Bayern 2)

So 5 players that will be starting or getting quality minutes for top-tier teams plus two backup GKs.  And if not for Besiktas just getting knocked out, we could have added Boyd to that list as well.

Anyone else I'm missing?
Red Bull Salzburg is still alive so that adds in Marsch (as a coach) and possibly Aaronson who has been linked with a move from Philly to RBS.

That is all I can think of.  Your list looks complete for the players.

The Dest saga appears to be reaching a crescendo

========================

Manuel Veth

@ManuelVeth

Dutch sources, #Bayern have reached terms with #Ajax to sign #USMNT right back Sergiño Dest.
Ezequiel Daray

@EzequielDaray

Sergiño Dest about to become a FC Bayern player, for a sum close to 25 million. The agreement between clubs practically sealed, according to Kicker

===========================

I think this would make him the second most expensive American player after Pulisic.

Ezequiel Daray

@EzequielDaray

Sergiño Dest about to become a FC Bayern player, for a sum close to 25 million. The agreement between clubs practically sealed, according to Kicker

===========================

I think this would make him the second most expensive American player after Pulisic.
Yep.  Brooks is still second at $21M.

Hmmmmmm......crafting here assuming everyone healthy and using a little projection for Richards........

I stuck Pomykal in that spot because he is tailored made for it.  If he never returns to health, I am unsure who is the next best choice.  If we were to go uber offensive, maybe Richie or Aaronson could work there but neither have Pomykal's defensive work rate.

We could also drop Reyna into that spot and start Morris on the right wing.  This is fairly similar to how Reyna is being used now.....

==================

................................Steffen

................Richards.......Adams..........Brooks

Cannon...........Weston.........Pomykal............Dest

............Reyna...............Sargent...............Pulisic
Looking back at this, you also have Konrad, Weah, or Boyd to use up front and drop Reyna. 

Here's the crazy thing about that lineup and further depth (which I'll have below):  We don't need to rely on any of the vets anymore.  We have quality youth to start at every single position on the field.  And with the experience on these top teams, we don't even need the vets for the "experience" they bring.  I pray whenever they get back on the field that we commit to this youth and let them build together.  Look at the ages of the guys in that lineup and others.  Our oldest "vets" are Brooks and Yedlin at 27 years old.  Starters from your lineup in bold.  Pulisic, Cannon, and McKennie are the 3rd oldest guys on the starting team!

Gio (17)
Dest (19)
Richards (20)
Sargent (20)
Pomykal (20)
Adams (21)
Cannon (22)
McKennie (22)
Pulisic (22)
Steffen (25)
Brooks (27)

Horvath (25)
Boyd (25)
Konrad (19)
Weah (20)
Morris (25)
Aaronson (19)
Yedlin (27)
Llanez (19)
Miazga (25)
Zardes (29)

ETA -- I should have Zardes in there.  He's 29.  Potentially Ream at age 32, but I sure hope not other than on the bench.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking back at this, you also have Konrad, Weah, or Boyd to use up front and drop Reyna. 

Here's the crazy thing about that lineup and further depth (which I'll have below):  We don't need to rely on any of the vets anymore.  We have quality youth to start at every single position on the field.  And with the experience on these top teams, we don't even need the vets for the "experience" they bring.  I pray whenever they get back on the field that we commit to this youth and let them build together.  Look at the ages of the guys in that lineup and others.  Our oldest "vets" are Brooks and Yedlin at 27 years old.  Starters from your lineup in bold.  Pulisic, Cannon, and McKennie are the 3rd oldest guys on the starting team!

Gio (17)
Dest (19)
Richards (20)
Sargent (20)
Pomykal (20)
Adams (21)
Cannon (22)
McKennie (22)
Pulisic (22)
Steffen (25)
Brooks (27)

Horvath (25)
Boyd (25)
Konrad (19)
Weah (20)
Morris (25)
Aaronson (19)
Yedlin (27)
Llanez (19)
Zardes (29)

ETA -- I should have Zardes in there.  He's 29.  Potentially Ream at age 32, but I sure hope not other than on the bench.
we do know that GGG really seems to value experience.   I do hope that it is limited to Ream and Zardes.

Normally I would have had Altidore in this list but his form has dropped so badly that even when he is healthy, I would be hesitant to roster him.  And we all know how rare it is for him to stay healthy to begin with.

I also hope Robinson can force his way into the Fulham lineup some how.  We need some left backs to emerge so that Dest can stay on the right.

I would love to have a group of 3 between Dest, Cannon and a pure left back where we can start 2 of the 3 at any given time.

Gio (17)
Dest (19)
Richards (20)
Sargent (20)
Pomykal (20)
Adams (21)
Cannon (22)
McKennie (22)
Pulisic (22)
Steffen (25)
Brooks (27)

Horvath (25)
Boyd (25)
Konrad (19)
Weah (20)
Morris (25)
Aaronson (19)
Yedlin (27)
Llanez (19)
Zardes (29)

Seems a little light on CBs?  Sorry, I'm a Miazga fan and don't like to think of him being phased out already.

A few more names I left off.  Do they fit in at this point on the roster?

Timothy Tillman (21)
Luca de la Torre (22)
Julian Green (25)

A few more names I left off.  Do they fit in at this point on the roster?

Timothy Tillman (21)
Luca de la Torre (22)
Julian Green (25)
Julian has a spot for me in the top 30.

Luca has not shown enough yet for the senior side.   He may have had a shot at the Olympic team if we did not have Covid delay it.

I know very little about Tillman out side of just being a dual nat.  He has never played with a US team.  He has represented Germany at almost every youth level but could not crack the high bar at Bayern and now has moved to the same team that Julian Green plays on in Bundesliga B.

I just want another loan if he can't be sold.   He has had loans since he moved to Chelsea but for some reason, I have not seen a loan emerge for him this off season.

@CletiusMaximusdo you have any information on what is happening with Miazga as part of the loan army?
No word on Miazga.  Apparently, they love him at Reading. If its going to be a sale to an English club, they have until Oct. 5.

If its going to be a sale to an English club, they have until Oct. 5.
"However, there will be an additional, domestic window that continues through to 5 p.m. on Oct. 16 when clubs will only be able to trade (either loans or permanent registrations) with EFL teams (so not internationally or with other Premier League clubs)."

Extended deadline for domestic transfers/loans.

No word on Miazga.  Apparently, they love him at Reading. If its going to be a sale to an English club, they have until Oct. 5.
Here's the twitter guy I follow regarding Chelsea youth/reserves:

Chelsea Youth

@chelseayouth

Sep 18

Plenty of loan traction picking up: - Bakayoko to Milan w/ option/obligation to buy, EL-qual dependent. - Baker in Turkey finalising Trabzonspor loan/option. - Clarke-Salter with Championship interest. - Zappacosta off to Genoa, medical today. - McCormick has League 1 interest.

More besides; Baxter still linked with League One clubs too, Drinkwater has foreign options available, and there are still moves to be found for Castillo, Van Ginkel, McEachran, Miazga, Moses, Musonda, Baha Rahman, Sarr, Sterling and maybe one or two others.
Its a ####show, but its the same every year and they seem to know what they're doing. 

:(

==================

U.S. Soccer MNT

@USMNT

With the unique challenges due to COVID-19 in the United States, U.S. Soccer has decided to forgo matches for the #USMNT during the October FIFA window. The USMNT continues to explore playing friendlies in Europe during the November FIFA window.

Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano

sure they’re (Barca) interested in Aarons too. But Dest deal is not over yet between Barça and Bayern... and #FCB have no agreement yet with Norwich for Aarons. We’ll see on next few days

:(

==================

U.S. Soccer MNT

@USMNT

With the unique challenges due to COVID-19 in the United States, U.S. Soccer has decided to forgo matches for the #USMNT during the October FIFA window. The USMNT continues to explore playing friendlies in Europe during the November FIFA window.
I think this beneficial to the US players based in Europe.

It gives them a little break, but also keeps them in training with their clubs/managers.  For the US, I think player progression at the club level is more important than a few friendlies.  If players can earn/keep minutes at their club, it will be better in the long-run.

=====

Norwich City summer signing Sebastian Soto has completed a loan move to Dutch side SC Telstar ahead of the 2020-21 season.

The USA youth international joined the Canaries in July on a permanent transfer after his contract at 2.Bundesliga side Hannover expired. 

Soto stood out last summer in the Under-20 FIFA World Cup, scoring four times in the USA’s campaign as they reached the quarter-finals of the tournament. 

Everyone at Norwich City wishes Sebastian all the best for the upcoming season
Scratch his name off the lists:

USMNT Only@usmntonly

According to this report, Sebastion Soto has accepted Chile coach Reinaldo Rueda's proposal and will join the Chile for the Qatar 2022 Qualifiers.

https://chile.as.com/chile/2020/09/22/futbol/1600798227_045833.html

Sad.  He looks to have a bright future.  I thought he'd be pushing for the squad by the 2022 WC.  I can understand the work permit thing.  It's stupid that we are so terrible at communicating in our national soccer organization that this wasn't already a known problem and taken care of.

Sad.  He looks to have a bright future.  I thought he'd be pushing for the squad by the 2022 WC.  I can understand the work permit thing.  It's stupid that we are so terrible at communicating in our national soccer organization that this wasn't already a known problem and taken care of.
I am pretty meh about this for some reason.

He is 20 years old.  He was clearly hated by his German coach.  Most German coaches go out of their way to compliment their American players and this guy ran Soto over with the bus in public god knows how many times.

So this is an important season for him but he is down in the second division of Holland right now so the level is not great.  He dressed but did not play in the first game which is not a good sign considering he has been at the club for 3 weeks already.

The strange part of this whole thing is that he sees a faster time line to the Chile first team than he does to the US first team when we all know how shallow our striker pool is. 

:wall:

=======================

Ives Galarcep

@SoccerByIves

Concacaf announces that the Nations League knockout rounds will now be played in June 2021, instead of March 2021 (Concacaf has to squeeze in 1st round of World Cup qualifying). The #USMNT World Cup qualifying campaign now looking at a Fall of 2021 start, at the earliest.

Sounds like Barca is back in on Dest

(🌕) Barcelona and Ajax have an agreement of €20M + €5M in variables for the transfer of Sergiño Dest to Barcelona. @orioldomenech #Transfers 🚨🔥🇳🇱

https://twitter.com/hagridfcb/status/1308514898763296772?s=10
So both Bayern and Barca have agreements with Ajax correct?

Now it's just a matter of which team can sign him to personal terms?

I think I'd prefer Barcelona actually.  They're sending out their second choice RB to Wolves it sounds like.  He averaged over 2000 minutes the last 3 years.  Dest getting over 2000 minutes a season for the next few years at a club like Barcelona would be a dream scenario.

jesus chist, remember when Barca could find $25m in the seat cushions?

=======================

Omar Hawwash

@OmarHawwashBG

BREAKING: Sources close to Sergiño Dest have told me that Ajax have asked for a BANK GUARANTEE from Barcelona as a prerequisite for the transfer; they want a guarantee that Barça can pay the amount preliminarily agreed on. Barça still in the race.

• Thinking
Reactions: Ned
jesus chist, remember when Barca could find $25m in the seat cushions?

=======================

Omar Hawwash

@OmarHawwashBG

BREAKING: Sources close to Sergiño Dest have told me that Ajax have asked for a BANK GUARANTEE from Barcelona as a prerequisite for the transfer; they want a guarantee that Barça can pay the amount preliminarily agreed on. Barça still in the race.
Sounds like he really wants Barca and that the Bayern transfer was agreed to but not signed 10 days ago.  It’s a sign he’s either viewed that favorably by them that they’re willing to stick around or there’s a real dearth of outside backs out there.  The second choice would mean Cannon isn’t long for Boavista.

I didn't watch but from everything I have read, Robinson had another very good cup game for Fulham today.  Lets hope he can crack the game day roster for an EPL game soon.

Basset's break out year continues. If this kid played any where but Colorado, every one would be buzzing about him

==========================

USMNT brazilian fan

@USMNTfan4

Cole Bassett this season so far: 9 games, 7 starts. 4 goals and 4 assists in 567 minutes. Underrated as ####.

Users who are viewing this thread