What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you believe the NFL should suspend players for Marijauna? (1 Viewer)

Do you believe the NFL should suspend for marijauna use?

• Yes

Votes: 62 27.7%
  • No

Votes: 162 72.3%

• Total voters

Mr Non Sequitur

Footballguy
We are losing some very entertaining players to marijauna use in the NFL. I understand the NFL has it listed on their banned substances list but so does the NBA to my knowledge and they have never suspended 1 player over it. The NFL to my knowledge is the only professional sport of the major 4 which bans the use of marijauna and suspends players over it or is testing for this substance.

The reason why so many folks have no mercy for players like Josh Gordon is because they themselves don't think smoking marijauna or testing positive for it in the first place is really that big of a deal. You don't and I'll prove it. The owner of the Colts, Jim Irsay, was caught doing far worse than anything Josh Gordon has but we treat him as a person who is sick and needs treatment for his illness.

And since the act of smoking pot is not that big of a deal and since it is being passed as legal in some states with many more lining up to put it on the ballot, shouldn't Goodell do the right thing and stop running players out of the league over this? If he really wants to protect the integrity of the shield he needs to stop allowing personal prejudice and biases keep him from doing his job.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you're asking me:

what a player puts into his body doesnt bother me one bit. weed, coke, roids, hgh...

These guys are paid to entertain.... that's what they do

if you're asking me:

what a player puts into his body doesnt bother me one bit. weed, coke, roids, hgh...

I would like to see roids remain banned and hgh added to the list. Players are way too big now. I don't see much competitive advantage using marijauna. It's used as a pain killer by many of the athletes in season anyways.

Most tests are done at training camp and if the athlete passes they usually are not tested in season again from what I have read.

if you're asking me:

I would like to see roids remain banned and hgh added to the list. Players are way too big now. I don't see much competitive advantage using marijauna. It's used as a pain killer by many of the athletes in season anyways.

Most tests are done at training camp and if the athlete passes they usually are not tested in season again from what I have read.
Agree.

I am fine with the current policy. Certainly public opinion is changing but it is still an illegal substance. My work place does random drug testing and terminates employees who test positive for marijuana.

I believe the league is currently required by law to fine and then suspend players who fail drug tests for Marijuana.

As I understand it, a court would insist on it -- per the terms of the CBA.

FBG would lose a lot of its visitors if they suspended everyone who smoked pot. :thumbup:

I would like to see FBG add a smoking emoticon, or leaf or high dude emoticon. Its fitting for a lot of stories lately. :popcorn:

I believe the league is currently required by law to fine and then suspend players who fail drug tests for Marijuana.

If this is true then end of discussion. Besides it doesn't really matter what the NFL chooses to punish people for. They are an independent company not a government that many people make them seem like. It could be a dress code violation that if repeated enough times could justify removal from the league if they wanted. That said, Rice and Irsay should get way worse than Gordon.

Id say if it were up to me Id want to, if nothing else, see a cap to the punishment from marijuana use as long as its not a player being caught with an illegal amount. Maybe a few games each failed test or something. I don't think it' should result in being banned from the sport forever.

I am fine with the current policy. Certainly public opinion is changing but it is still an illegal substance. My work place does random drug testing and terminates employees who test positive for marijuana.
I was going to say something similar. While I think marijuana usage is probably overly looked down upon in general, it seems so odd to say that the NFL is unordinarily harsh on it for suspending players after multiple failed tests when most employers will fire someone completely for failing a single test.

I was going to say something similar. While I think marijuana usage is probably overly looked down upon in general, it seems so odd to say that the NFL is unordinarily harsh on it for suspending players after multiple failed tests when most employers will fire someone completely for failing a single test.
You can't compare the gridiron to the cubeiron.

They're not. They're comparing a business to a business.

They're not. They're comparing a business to a business.
You don't compare Night Clubs to Army Surplus stores, sure they both are businesses but that's where it ends.

Does your workplace have a history of pushing everything from pain killers to speed on its employees in order to maximize performance at work?

The NFL has the right to do whatever they want, obviously, but should they is a different matter entirely.

per the terms of the CBA.
I would have preferred the poll question to read something along the lines of: Do you prefer suspension for marijuana usage to be removed from the CBA?

I would have voted yes to that, as is I'll abstain.

I don't like that players get suspended over this but it's exists in the CBA and the owners won't just give it away. If they failed to excercise the right to suspend players over this they would be losing a negotiating tool. A tool many believe will be used to shift the testing and suspensions away from recreational drugs to more stringent testing for performance enhancing drugs.

Plus, it's not even true unless you are a scrub. The only one you have to study for is the pre-employment and I've heard stories of people still getting hired after botching one of those. I've failed a random before and they just made me take another one a week later.

Plus, it's not even true unless you are a scrub. The only one you have to study for is the pre-employment and I've heard stories of people still getting hired after botching one of those. I've failed a random before and they just made me take another one a week later.
Sounds like a pretty lax approach to it by that company. Any company that I've ever worked at has fired anyone that's failed one of the random tests at any time, including some important people that I'm sure lost the business a fair share of money.

At least not in Denver or Seattle. I get that businesses can make their own rules, but, the world is a changing. Businesses should adapt.

Does your workplace have a history of pushing everything from pain killers to speed on its employees in order to maximize performance at work?

The NFL has the right to do whatever they want, obviously, but should they is a different matter entirely.
When those ####ers put a high end Keurig machine with two dozen flavors of special brew coffee/cappuccino/tea right next to my desk they may as well be injecting it straight into my veins.

I think it's a mistake to try to distinguish which drugs are "ok". I think the NFL should either suspend for illegal drugs or don't.

If they decided any and all drug use was a legal issue and unrelated to their job, I could live with that.

I think it's a mistake to try to distinguish which drugs are "ok". I think the NFL should either suspend for illegal drugs or don't.

If they decided any and all drug use was a legal issue and unrelated to their job, I could live with that.
I think the NFL feels the must test and work with the NFLPA on a progressive punishment plan. I don't think they really want to or care but they are covering their donkeys to avoid a lawsuit where they are blamed for players using steroids, pain killers, etc.

I am fine with the current plan. I don't feel the game really suffers when they boots repeat offenders like Justin Blackmon from the game. The quality of the NFL games is still at a very high level. The old statement that no player is bigger than the game.

Sounds like a pretty lax approach to it by that company. Any company that I've ever worked at has fired anyone that's failed one of the random tests at any time, including some important people that I'm sure lost the business a fair share of money.
That's the approach of several companies (combination of first and second hand accounts). Never heard of anyone getting fired for the first offense unless the company was just looking for an excuse to can them.

What industry are you in if you don't mind me asking?

if you're asking me:

Not to go too far O/T, but most of what I have read about HGH suggests it is far better for keeping players healthy and keeping the older guys at a high level as opposed to adding a lot of weight/strength. Some will approve of that and some won't, I personally like the idea of getting guys back as soon as possible at peak performance if I am paying to watch games.

As far as tests, I have read the same thing - a player with a clean history is tested for rec drugs once a year before the season and has a general idea of when it is coming. Do whatever you want the rest of the year (outside of PEDs) as long as you are clean for that test every year. Not sure if that is accurate, just what I read.

Am I the only one that feels like the Ray Rice suspension was a PR ploy by Goodell and co. Sure the NFL brand takes it on the chin but it also puts loads of pressure on the NFLPA and provides a bargaining chip. If it looks like the NFL has a limit on personal misconduct (and since the last CBA Goodell has only given a max of two games twice, IIRC) but not on questionable things such as MJ use, ADHD meds, pregnancy drugs and no suspension for HGH use, it puts into question the whole bogus standard of the league.

I don't think "most" employers do random or mandatory drug test.

The 25% are just hanging their hat on my joeschmo job makes me test (probably once and only upon entry where you go to a facility and piss in a cup in private) so NFL players should too. This isn't welfare. The league right now is allowing players to do drugs that change the way a player physically can play football but a drug that is legal in two states and medicinally legal in many, many more can cost you a quarter, half, a years worth of salary. The NFLPA is the worst union of all professional sports. I think there is a direct correlation between the length of time these players play and the reason why their deal isn't even on par with the NHL. The QB's who are the only players with longevity sold the rookies up the river for big contracts. Instead of vets benefiting owners just wash their hands clean of vets and just call them old and washed up at 28, maybe 5 years in. The rookie contracts were the only real shot at money in the NFL and they sold it away for nothing. Anyway, sorry for the rant. I just think the NFLPA union is garbage and the owners have had a chokehold for quite a long time.

Went YES.

Not so much because the act itself is so horrible, but because the act itself is ILLEGAL in almost every state. Not speeding ticket little fine illegal, but possible jail time for second offense+ illegal. Anything that can land a player in jail is something the NFL should logically stand against.

Once the laws change (and it's pretty obvious they will), then the NFL can (and should/will) change.

Until we reach the point in which it is legal in every state that the NFL has a team, I say you have to control it. Hopefully it will not be too long until all states are like the two smarter states, but yeah, I know the change is coming, but I also know that it isn't a hard thing to do (stop smoking weed while you are making a lot of money). Just my onion.

The players union AGREED to this in the CBA. These are the rules-agree to the rules

and you play. It doesn't matter how stupid the rule is or how stupid you or the players

think it is they are bound by the CBA.

It does not matter how legal or illegal ANY substance is that the players put in their

body-follow the CBA and they are good to play.

ALL drug related and drug testing related infractions have set punishments-Goodell

does not do anything or make a ruling on it. The CBA dictates the players punishment.

I do NOT understand the comparison to the NFL and anybody's day job work rules.

We might as well be on another planet compared to what the players go through in their "job".

The players union AGREED to this in the CBA. These are the rules-agree to the rules

and you play. It doesn't matter how stupid the rule is or how stupid you or the players

think it is they are bound by the CBA.

It does not matter how legal or illegal ANY substance is that the players put in their

body-follow the CBA and they are good to play.

ALL drug related and drug testing related infractions have set punishments-Goodell

does not do anything or make a ruling on it. The CBA dictates the players punishment.

I do NOT understand the comparison to the NFL and anybody's day job work rules.

We might as well be on another planet compared to what the players go through in their "job".
Not to mention most companies have a policy on drug use also.

I voted yes, but only because it's still illegal. Whether they ask for it or not, NFL players are looked up to by many young men and I think more (Yes, I know many are very young men themselves) need to understand that responsibility and should be held accountable for their actions.

RoosterScott said:
This is the most ridiculous thread ever started. Geez, should teachers, doctors, and policemen be allowed to smoke dope? If you were a QB would you want your right tackle to smoke down before a game and protect you? That's just ridiculous. Do you know how many legal issues you could throw at someone. Would you let a doctor operate on you after he smoked down? Let's see, would you want a pitcher throwing a 94 mph fastball at your head after he smoked down? Can someone delete this thread? Dumb. Justin Blackmon just got nailed again. Why aren't ppl throwing up support threads for Mr. Blackmon?
The people obviously disagree with you. I think many polls show that people do think weed should be legal and teachers or right tackles or whoever should be allowed to smoke weed. Would you want a doctor or RT to drink before going to work? Should we ban that ?

RoosterScott said:
This is the most ridiculous thread ever started. Geez, should teachers, doctors, and policemen be allowed to smoke dope? If you were a QB would you want your right tackle to smoke down before a game and protect you? That's just ridiculous. Do you know how many legal issues you could throw at someone. Would you let a doctor operate on you after he smoked down? Let's see, would you want a pitcher throwing a 94 mph fastball at your head after he smoked down? Can someone delete this thread? Dumb. Justin Blackmon just got nailed again. Why aren't ppl throwing up support threads for Mr. Blackmon?
Is this the MOST ridiculous thread ever? Really? Naaaw

And yes, Teachers, Police, Doctors, Politicians, Programmers, Etc should all be allowed to smoke dope ... on their own time.

No-one here, or at least I hope no-one here, is suggesting that these professionals, or the ones in the NFL, should burn a fat one an hour before stepping on the field, into a classroom, into a squad car or into an operating room. But adults should be able to fire up just like they are allowed to drink up when they are away from their profession.

RoosterScott said:
Out of touch with reality much? Your assumptions of how you think weed effects everyone is troubling. You seem highly uninformed on the Marijuana topic. Just because something is legal does not mean people will use it, as someone said above, alcohol is legal and effects people worse at times, should we ban that? I am certain some doctors drink before they go into surgery based of the odds alone.

True story, I smoke weed on a regular basis as I have ADD, I do my job better when I have just "smoked down" as you put it and I work in an industry that you can get fined big bucks, BIG BUCKS, for messing up. Only time I came close to a mess up that big is when I wasn't high.

So the fact that just one person works better high means you cant assume the worst of those who do smoke. Education is a powerful thing.

RoosterScott said:
Outstanding! Never be afraid to state your opinion. The poll does not side with you but very entertaining nonetheless.

Easy fix - stop testing for it.

If it were up to me...

I would test and punish for performance enhancing drugs. Other players should not be put in a situation they have to break the law to compete on a level field in their occupation. Whether it's football players and PEDs, or salesman working at a place where other salesman use bribes to get ahead.

I would not test for recreational drugs.

I would still punish players for being arrested for illegal drug use. By accepting a job in the NFL, they are agreeing to become public figures and spokespersons for their employer. The NFL should hold them accountable for that. Just as it is presently, it has nothing to do with trying to mimic law enforcement, but only has to do with behaving as a public spokesperson should for their company.

If it were up to me...

I would test and punish for performance enhancing drugs. Other players should not be put in a situation they have to break the law to compete on a level field in their occupation. Whether it's football players and PEDs, or salesman working at a place where other salesman use bribes to get ahead.

I would still punish players for being arrested for illegal drug use. By accepting a job in the NFL, they are agreeing to become public figures and spokespersons for their employer. The NFL should hold them accountable for that. Just as it is presently, it has nothing to do with trying to mimic law enforcement, but only has to do with behaving as a public spokesperson should for their company.
:goodposting:

That's exactly where I stand. Tarnish the shield by getting arrested? Suspension. In the privacy of your own home? Not so much. And much stricter on steroid / HGH / true performance enhancers.

Oh yeah, and actually go really hard on the players who are truly the ones that give the league a real black eye, like Ray Rice.

If it were up to me...

That's exactly where I stand. Tarnish the shield by getting arrested? Suspension. In the privacy of your own home? Not so much. And much stricter on steroid / HGH / true performance enhancers.

Oh yeah, and actually go really hard on the players who are truly the ones that give the league a real black eye, like Ray Rice.
This.

I bet this will be worked into the next CBA, just like Goodell having complete authority on punishments. Those will be the two big points next to trying to get more money.

If it were up to me...

This.

I bet this will be worked into the next CBA, just like Goodell having complete authority on punishments. Those will be the two big points next to trying to get more money.
Oh yeah. I was in total shock the players allowed Goodell to keep his "one judge, one jury" environment. I just knew that was going to be a sticking point last time, but just can't see them letting slip through their fingers the next go 'round.

That's the approach of several companies (combination of first and second hand accounts). Never heard of anyone getting fired for the first offense unless the company was just looking for an excuse to can them.

What industry are you in if you don't mind me asking?
IT

ETA: But in both cases (I've worked for two employers), the policy was company wide.

Users who are viewing this thread