What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looting in Missouri after cops shoot 18 year old (2 Viewers)

CNN captures officer taunting: "Bring it. All you ####### animals. Bring it."

link
While obviously not ideal or professional, I agree with the quote from the mayor in that article that his officers are "only human". The video in that link also shows numerous protestors kicking the officers cars, and I'll go out on a limb and suggest that the police had taunts and threats tossed at them that were as bad if not worse. A violent mob could easily lead to officers getting killed, and that stress gets to them.

Seems to me it was brought up to suggest the family might have something of a racist background or set of ideals (or they might just be huge Dukes of Hazzard fans).
Who's family? The shooter (who we still know next to nothing about, correct?), or the family of the Police Chief?

As for the Dukes of Hazzard comment - I completely accidentally have dogs named Luke and Beau (Bo). Am I racist, too?
Pretty much. Don't be ridiculous, guy. Family of the cop. And no way it's "completely accidentally."
The flag thing isn't from the family of the cop in the shooting, it's from the family of the police chief - which is why I don't think it's particularly relevant.

And yes, it's completely accidentally. My wife has had a border collie named Luke (named after "cool hand Luke") since he was a few weeks old, and he's now 10. 2 weeks ago we adopted a 12 year old "senior rescue" border collie (yes, we have a thing for the breed) named Beau (pronounced Bo). We now have dogs with the names of the Dukes of Hazzard, by complete accident.
I stand corrected. Do they slide over the hood of your vehicles when you take them for a ride?
Everyone asks me that. Luke loves car rides, but we're not sure about Beau yet.

I brought it up to show an example of where people might jump to conclusions. If you hear that I have dogs named Luke and Bo, you might immediately think of the Duzes of Hazzard, and by association the Confederate flag, and by further association racism. Nothing could be further from the truth, at least in my case. Perhaps that flag isn't owned by the son of the police chief. Perhaps that isn't even the son of the police chief. Perhaps it is his son and it is his flag and he has it up to show his family heritage or of his thoughts on State's rights - nothing to do with racism.
Dude, I am sorry but if your dogs are named after the Dukes of Hazard, you are a racist. There is really no need to explain it because the people who accuse others of being racist usually are not known as big thinkers. Sorry buddy, but I would for sure think that most rational liberals think you are against blacks. Its not like you cant rename the dogs...they are just dogs...you should rename them 'Puke' and 'Ho', the dogs will not know the difference and you would gain street cred, by going against the system.

Christopher Hayes ‏@chrislhayes 45m

I interviewed the key witness to the Michael Brown shooting last night. The police haven't. Think about that.
Not only that, but according to his lawyer, they have contacted the police department, offered an interview, and were declined.
How is that even possible?
Are you nuts? How many cops do you think they have? My guess is the reason they are not doing interviews is because the town has been under siege for the last 48 hours and they need every last person out on the front line.
Brown's body was laying in the street for hours on Saturday afternoon; shooting was around 2:15 pm. When did the riots and looting start? Sunday evening. Certainly some officer/detective could have interviewed a witness to the shooting in those hours between the death and looting.

Nice try though.

link
While obviously not ideal or professional, I agree with the quote from the mayor in that article that his officers are "only human". The video in that link also shows numerous protestors kicking the officers cars, and I'll go out on a limb and suggest that the police had taunts and threats tossed at them that were as bad if not worse. A violent mob could easily lead to officers getting killed, and that stress gets to them.
Shut up man!!!! Those protesters have been nothing but peaceful!!!! I highly doubt that any of them would ever threaten the life of an officer or even speak ill toward another person in general!!! Get your mind out of the gutter, they need to hang the whole lot of them!!!!

I just don't believe in today's world of hyper-sensitivity towards racism that institutionalized racism exists anywhere except very small pockets. Any policy which even hints of racism is weeded out.
OK. :lmao:
show me the policies.
NYC stop and frisk comes to mindThat was fairly recent wasn't it?
It is a policy which effectively has reduced crime in high crime areas. There is no racism behind the policies. So far the voters of New York (mostly black voters) have voted for people in favor of these policies and the polices have survived legal challenges to date. It is an area of debate whether the loss of freedom is worth the results, but I don't see it as proof of institutionalized racism. The policy is well known and is supported by many minorities.
I could shoot speeders in the head when I pull them over and it would effectively reduce speeding. Doesn't make it right. How in the world can you say there is no racism behind policies when they pick particular races to profile. That statement is absurd. Plus reductions in crime in NYC mirror other areas where crime has dropped without stop and frisk.

It's amazing how people can be so obtusely blind to the black experience. I'm not excusing looting or any other crime for that matter. But if you think the deck isn't stacked against black people with the amount of evidence in the justice system; with the policies banks and other financial institutions have in minority neighborhoods; with the education system etc etc there's nothing at this point that can possibly change your mind. It's so evident to me it doesn't even merit debate. But here we are.

Think to yourself why there are even black neighborhoods in the first place. You think a lot of those people wouldn't move to better neighborhoods if they could? You think there's no housing discrimination? If you can't see that stuff that's plain as day your just a putz who has no idea what he's talking about.

My background is such that I've lived with minorities of all stripes. I've heard there stories. I've been out with them and experienced it first hand. I was ten times the thug that someof my black friends ever thought about being and somehow the trouble would find them. Like some kind of magic. I keep thinking for why that is and I just can't understand it. People like Jon "whitesplain" to me that racism doesn't exist so it can't be that.
Excellent post, Jackstraw.
Bad post. All of things you describe happen for a reason, meaning there is causation. Let's start with you being 10x a thug. Give us all a break. What did you get away with due to your white skin? I personally know a lot of cops who have to patrol bad neighborhoods, many of those neighborhoods are black hoods. First off, yes they are looking for a profile, but guess what? Since everybody who lives in the neighborhood is black, that is not what they are looking for. They are looking for suspicious behavior. That is the person's fault if they fit the bill in that regard. People of all colors deal with every day. As far as the suburbs go, if I am traveling through a super ritzy hood in my beat up car, then I am taking a risk for being pulled over if I have a violation. It is not the cops fault that you have a violation!!!! If you have one they can pull you over. I am a white guy.... I got pulled over driving around at bar time for a ticky-tack b.s reason. Was the cop profiling me....of course, I was driving around at 3AM....does it change the fact that I had a violation,? NO!!!!!!! He has every right to pull me over, and if I have done something wrong, I will be in trouble.

As far as housing goes, why on earth would a bank loan money to somebody who they think cannot or even might not pay it back? That is absurd. Actually, I just read a post in this forum by a respected member who says he makes a lot of money and cannot get a loan for a house he wants to buy. I doubt he is black....if banks are racist, why did they not just loan him the money? After all, he is white and even makes alot of money! I guarantee you that if a black guy walks into a bank with 20% down, proof of a steady paycheck, and good credit history, he will get a loan, because those are the things needed for a loan!!!! It is not the bank's fault that there are many blacks who do not fit that description. You know whose fault it is? YOURS!!!!!! People like you constantly make excuses for blacks, you send them messages that of course they cannot be expected to act like everyone else...they are black...whatever that means.

Last point, the education system. I know you say you walk hand in hand with the blacks, but I have actually spent time in all kinds of urban schools including a few years in schools that are primarily black. Blacks are given the same opportunities that white and Hispanics have, but because we like to sit around and make excuses for all of the nutcases and anti-authoritarians around in our world, their schools suffer the most. If you go to a black private school where no excuses are tolerated and excellence is expected, I will show you a good school and those schools do exist. If you go to a typical inner city public school where we have to accept the fact that little Tyrone wants to kill everybody who looks at him sideways and just work with him, that is the reason the schools fail. But you have to begin to understand that little Tyrone is allowed to stay on because of people like you who always make excuses for his crazy and threatening demeanor. You have a classroom of 24 kids who are smart and ready to learn, combined with 4 or 5 kids who are basically psychotic and ruin it for everybody. And it is accepted by people like you because all you like to do is sit in your little suburban enclave and make excuses because the movie "Mississippi Burning" left a hole in your bleeding heart . Hell, you even prefaced your asinine screed with "I'm not excusing looting, but",,,,

BUT WHAT!?!?!?!?! You just did excuse it....you wrote a post giving us your perspective (as a white guy who has lots of black friends) on the black experience. If only we knew!!!!! All of the profiling!!! All of the loan denials!!! All of the teachers who didn't care!!!! Not only is your post nonsensical, it is an insult to the spirit of humanity!!!!
I have no further questions counselor. The prosecution rests.

I interviewed the key witness to the Michael Brown shooting last night. The police haven't. Think about that.
Not only that, but according to his lawyer, they have contacted the police department, offered an interview, and were declined.
Are you nuts? How many cops do you think they have? My guess is the reason they are not doing interviews is because the town has been under siege for the last 48 hours and they need every last person out on the front line.
Brown's body was laying in the street for hours on Saturday afternoon; shooting was around 2:15 pm. When did the riots and looting start? Sunday evening. Certainly some officer/detective could have interviewed a witness to the shooting in those hours between the death and looting.

Nice try though.
O.K Sherlock...thank goodness we now have the official timeline of events.

Seems to me it was brought up to suggest the family might have something of a racist background or set of ideals (or they might just be huge Dukes of Hazzard fans).
Who's family? The shooter (who we still know next to nothing about, correct?), or the family of the Police Chief?

As for the Dukes of Hazzard comment - I completely accidentally have dogs named Luke and Beau (Bo). Am I racist, too?
Pretty much. Don't be ridiculous, guy. Family of the cop. And no way it's "completely accidentally."
The flag thing isn't from the family of the cop in the shooting, it's from the family of the police chief - which is why I don't think it's particularly relevant.

And yes, it's completely accidentally. My wife has had a border collie named Luke (named after "cool hand Luke") since he was a few weeks old, and he's now 10. 2 weeks ago we adopted a 12 year old "senior rescue" border collie (yes, we have a thing for the breed) named Beau (pronounced Bo). We now have dogs with the names of the Dukes of Hazzard, by complete accident.
I stand corrected. Do they slide over the hood of your vehicles when you take them for a ride?

I brought it up to show an example of where people might jump to conclusions. If you hear that I have dogs named Luke and Bo, you might immediately think of the Duzes of Hazzard, and by association the Confederate flag, and by further association racism. Nothing could be further from the truth, at least in my case. Perhaps that flag isn't owned by the son of the police chief. Perhaps that isn't even the son of the police chief. Perhaps it is his son and it is his flag and he has it up to show his family heritage or of his thoughts on State's rights - nothing to do with racism.
Dude, I am sorry but if your dogs are named after the Dukes of Hazard, you are a racist. There is really no need to explain it because the people who accuse others of being racist usually are not known as big thinkers. Sorry buddy, but I would for sure think that most rational liberals think you are against blacks. Its not like you cant rename the dogs...they are just dogs...you should rename them 'Puke' and 'Ho', the dogs will not know the difference and you would gain street cred, by going against the system.
Are you frick'n serious? I have to rename my dogs now or I'm a racist?!

I just don't believe in today's world of hyper-sensitivity towards racism that institutionalized racism exists anywhere except very small pockets. Any policy which even hints of racism is weeded out.
show me the policies.
It is a policy which effectively has reduced crime in high crime areas. There is no racism behind the policies. So far the voters of New York (mostly black voters) have voted for people in favor of these policies and the polices have survived legal challenges to date. It is an area of debate whether the loss of freedom is worth the results, but I don't see it as proof of institutionalized racism. The policy is well known and is supported by many minorities.
I could shoot speeders in the head when I pull them over and it would effectively reduce speeding. Doesn't make it right. How in the world can you say there is no racism behind policies when they pick particular races to profile. That statement is absurd. Plus reductions in crime in NYC mirror other areas where crime has dropped without stop and frisk.

It's amazing how people can be so obtusely blind to the black experience. I'm not excusing looting or any other crime for that matter. But if you think the deck isn't stacked against black people with the amount of evidence in the justice system; with the policies banks and other financial institutions have in minority neighborhoods; with the education system etc etc there's nothing at this point that can possibly change your mind. It's so evident to me it doesn't even merit debate. But here we are.

Think to yourself why there are even black neighborhoods in the first place. You think a lot of those people wouldn't move to better neighborhoods if they could? You think there's no housing discrimination? If you can't see that stuff that's plain as day your just a putz who has no idea what he's talking about.

My background is such that I've lived with minorities of all stripes. I've heard there stories. I've been out with them and experienced it first hand. I was ten times the thug that someof my black friends ever thought about being and somehow the trouble would find them. Like some kind of magic. I keep thinking for why that is and I just can't understand it. People like Jon "whitesplain" to me that racism doesn't exist so it can't be that.
Bad post. All of things you describe happen for a reason, meaning there is causation. Let's start with you being 10x a thug. Give us all a break. What did you get away with due to your white skin? I personally know a lot of cops who have to patrol bad neighborhoods, many of those neighborhoods are black hoods. First off, yes they are looking for a profile, but guess what? Since everybody who lives in the neighborhood is black, that is not what they are looking for. They are looking for suspicious behavior. That is the person's fault if they fit the bill in that regard. People of all colors deal with every day. As far as the suburbs go, if I am traveling through a super ritzy hood in my beat up car, then I am taking a risk for being pulled over if I have a violation. It is not the cops fault that you have a violation!!!! If you have one they can pull you over. I am a white guy.... I got pulled over driving around at bar time for a ticky-tack b.s reason. Was the cop profiling me....of course, I was driving around at 3AM....does it change the fact that I had a violation,? NO!!!!!!! He has every right to pull me over, and if I have done something wrong, I will be in trouble.

As far as housing goes, why on earth would a bank loan money to somebody who they think cannot or even might not pay it back? That is absurd. Actually, I just read a post in this forum by a respected member who says he makes a lot of money and cannot get a loan for a house he wants to buy. I doubt he is black....if banks are racist, why did they not just loan him the money? After all, he is white and even makes alot of money! I guarantee you that if a black guy walks into a bank with 20% down, proof of a steady paycheck, and good credit history, he will get a loan, because those are the things needed for a loan!!!! It is not the bank's fault that there are many blacks who do not fit that description. You know whose fault it is? YOURS!!!!!! People like you constantly make excuses for blacks, you send them messages that of course they cannot be expected to act like everyone else...they are black...whatever that means.

Last point, the education system. I know you say you walk hand in hand with the blacks, but I have actually spent time in all kinds of urban schools including a few years in schools that are primarily black. Blacks are given the same opportunities that white and Hispanics have, but because we like to sit around and make excuses for all of the nutcases and anti-authoritarians around in our world, their schools suffer the most. If you go to a black private school where no excuses are tolerated and excellence is expected, I will show you a good school and those schools do exist. If you go to a typical inner city public school where we have to accept the fact that little Tyrone wants to kill everybody who looks at him sideways and just work with him, that is the reason the schools fail. But you have to begin to understand that little Tyrone is allowed to stay on because of people like you who always make excuses for his crazy and threatening demeanor. You have a classroom of 24 kids who are smart and ready to learn, combined with 4 or 5 kids who are basically psychotic and ruin it for everybody. And it is accepted by people like you because all you like to do is sit in your little suburban enclave and make excuses because the movie "Mississippi Burning" left a hole in your bleeding heart . Hell, you even prefaced your asinine screed with "I'm not excusing looting, but",,,,

BUT WHAT!?!?!?!?! You just did excuse it....you wrote a post giving us your perspective (as a white guy who has lots of black friends) on the black experience. If only we knew!!!!! All of the profiling!!! All of the loan denials!!! All of the teachers who didn't care!!!! Not only is your post nonsensical, it is an insult to the spirit of humanity!!!!
I have no further questions counselor. The prosecution rests.
That's racist.

Are you frick'n serious? I have to rename my dogs now or I'm a racist?!
Dead serious...there is no way your dogs should be named after the Dukes of Hazard for any reason. That is insensitive and also a borderline thought crime if I have ever seen one!!!

Plus, how do we know that you did not just make that story up about how they are named?!? I watched True Detective, and if there was one thing I learned it is that people will make all kinds of stories up to hide their evil ways.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nice try though.
O.K Sherlock...thank goodness we now have the official timeline of events.
No problem, Watson. Glad you were able to follow along.

:bowtie:

The Ferguson PD is no longer doing the investigation and it is being handled by the St Louis county/city (can't remember which one). This might be why it was declined.

Well, let's see. We've got one group of posters here who seem to taking time off from AryanNationGuys to weigh in on the state of racial relations. And we've got another group of posters who are checking out the home decorating habits of relatives of people who work in the same building as the shooter and comparing the looters to the Boston tea party. Not quite as bad as the Trayvon Martin thread, but it's getting there.

Well, let's see. We've got one group of posters here who seem to taking time off from AryanNationGuys to weigh in on the state of racial relations. And we've got another group of posters who are checking out the home decorating habits of relatives of people who work in the same building as the shooter and comparing the looters to the Boston tea party. Not quite as bad as the Trayvon Martin thread, but it's getting there.
Don't forget your group: the group who accuse those who strive for some semblance of common societal norms to be members of the KKK or some other white supremacy group. I mean really, what kind of country are we if we can't all agree that it is dead wrong to riot and loot the crap out of a community every time something happens to your 'group'?

Don't forget your group: the group who accuse those who strive for some semblance of common societal norms to be members of the KKK or some other white supremacy group. I mean really, what kind of country are we if we can't all agree that it is dead wrong to riot and loot the crap out of a community every time something happens to your 'group'?
I agree that looting is wrong, whether it affects my racial group or not. I was more thinking about your comments about little psychotic Tyrone on the previous page.

Regardless, the eyewitness story about how this shooting went down is incredibly damning and detailed enough that investigators ought to be able to reconstruct if he was telling the truth or not. (As a layman, it seems like you should be able to find blood a fair ways away from where the officer was shooting, if the guy's story is true). I always thought that George Zimmerman should never have been charged with anything, so I'm not the kind inclined to knee-jerk reactions in these kinds of cases. That said, if this went down the way the witness describes, the shooter should get life in prison.

Threads like this are always great, because once every six months when one like this pops up, you can quickly sift through and find who is making the biggest idiot of themselves, then ignore them. It's like a magnet for the current aliases of peens, MasterofOrion, johnjohn and all the other hillbillies that make the FFA horrible.

I agree that looting is wrong, whether it affects my racial group or not. I was more thinking about your comments about little psychotic Tyrone on the previous page.

Regardless, the eyewitness story about how this shooting went down is incredibly damning and detailed enough that investigators ought to be able to reconstruct if he was telling the truth or not. (As a layman, it seems like you should be able to find blood a fair ways away from where the officer was shooting, if the guy's story is true). I always thought that George Zimmerman should never have been charged with anything, so I'm not the kind inclined to knee-jerk reactions in these kinds of cases. That said, if this went down the way the witness describes, the shooter should get life in prison.
Um...ok...what stock name should I use? If you teach at a school that has all African American students, then you are going to have to go with afro-centric names. If I were speaking about white kids I would have said, little Jimmy, and maybe little Hector for Hispanic kids. Anyways, how gracious of you to take what I said out of context and accuse me of being a racist. Again, as somebody who has actually spent time in both high and low performing urban schools, I think I know the difference between what some of the reasons may and may not be; and to that end it is my perspective that a main reason for failure and despair in the African American community is because of people who are constantly making excuses for anti-social behavior, which by the way, has nothing to with the #######g cop!!!

If the cop did what you said he did, he is probably screwed and even if is isn't screwed people get away with crap every day, even blacks!!!! How many looters do you think they have under arrest? Guess what, they got away with it....should I get mad and run over somebody's pet with my car? A few months ago in Milwaukee, some thug decided to have a gun battle in the middle of a park and killed an 10 year old girl named Sierra Guyton. Guess what, that piece of crap had been busted many times on plenty of charges INCLUDING MURDER!!!!! Yes that is right...the guy actually killed someone with a gun, plead it down to second degree, spent less than 10 years in jail and then started another shootout in broad daylight that killed a 10 year old girl.

How is this even possible you ask? My position is that it is because of people who look the other way and make excuses for any anti-social behavior committed by African Americans. Because they were subjected to the horrors of slavery and the humiliation of the long aftermath, that must be taken into account anytime a person of their color commits a crime. We also celebrate people, mostly but not exclusively African Americans, who tell their stories of murder and depravity through music. Sorry, but that is just dumb logic because I think people who think like this devalue the entire African American community. It is almost like you feel sorry for them because they cannot help themselves from committing crimes. If anything, a person who thinks along those lines is actually the real racist here. We would be way better off if there were real consequences and not celebrations/rationalizations for acting like this, because that is the only way things would change.

Its funny, but I would argue that there has not been an effective black leader since MLK. What do you think he would say about all of this? About the thug culture? If everything is a means to an end, what is the end game here? Does all this looting and rioting help race relations, or does it actually harm blacks even more by further cementing stereotypes into peoples heads when they see this garbage on TV with an army of liberals tripping over themselves to make excuses for it?

Um...ok...what stock name should I use? If you teach at a school that has all African American students, then you are going to have to go with afro-centric names. If I were speaking about white kids I would have said, little Jimmy, and maybe little Hector for Hispanic kids. Anyways, how gracious of you to take what I said out of context and accuse me of being a racist. Again, as somebody who has actually spent time in both high and low performing urban schools, I think I know the difference between what some of the reasons may and may not be; and to that end it is my perspective that a main reason for failure and despair in the African American community is because of people who are constantly making excuses for anti-social behavior, which by the way, has nothing to with the #######g cop!!!

If the cop did what you said he did, he is probably screwed and even if is isn't screwed people get away with crap every day, even blacks!!!! How many looters do you think they have under arrest? Guess what, they got away with it....should I get mad and run over somebody's pet with my car? A few months ago in Milwaukee, some thug decided to have a gun battle in the middle of a park and killed an 10 year old girl named Sierra Guyton. Guess what, that piece of crap had been busted many times on plenty of charges INCLUDING MURDER!!!!! Yes that is right...the guy actually killed someone with a gun, plead it down to second degree, spent less than 10 years in jail and then started another shootout in broad daylight that killed a 10 year old girl.

How is this even possible you ask? My position is that it is because of people who look the other way and make excuses for any anti-social behavior committed by African Americans. Because they were subjected to the horrors of slavery and the humiliation of the long aftermath, that must be taken into account anytime a person of their color commits a crime. We also celebrate people, mostly but not exclusively African Americans, who tell their stories of murder and depravity through music. Sorry, but that is just dumb logic because I think people who think like this devalue the entire African American community. It is almost like you feel sorry for them because they cannot help themselves from committing crimes. If anything, a person who thinks along those lines is actually the real racist here. We would be way better off if there were real consequences and not celebrations/rationalizations for acting like this, because that is the only way things would change.

Its funny, but I would argue that there has not been an effective black leader since MLK. What do you think he would say about all of this? About the thug culture? If everything is a means to an end, what is the end game here? Does all this looting and rioting help race relations, or does it actually harm blacks even more by further cementing stereotypes into peoples heads when they see this garbage on TV with an army of liberals tripping over themselves to make excuses for it?
To add one more thing, upon reflection there are also plenty of liberals who make excuses for dirtbag whites. One example that come to my mind is the jerkoff in Texas who killed a bunch of people with his trucj and git off because of 'affluenza'. Anyways, my point is all of this is way more damaging to the African American community simply because it seems to occur on a more regular basis. Most likely, that is because of socioeconomic factors, but in practice most liberals like to blame the entire white race for the sins of our great, great, great grandfathers, and in the process excuse whatever transpires. Also, very few of them care about the real African Americans in those communities.

Like it or not, this guy put himself in the situation with the cop by not doing what the cop said. Same way with Trayvon. That does not excuse murder in any way, I am just saying it is very stupid to start a fight with a person who either might have a gun or for sure has a gun. Nobody, however, started a thread for Seirra Guyton, the little innocent girl who was killed by a convicted killer that out on parole. I wonder why that is? Maybe because it does not fit the narrative that little Jimmy built up in his head while he was at Princeton getting his BA in political science. Or also, it might be because people do not really give a crap about the real tragedies that happen in the black community every day. Maybe they do not care about all the innocent people who are out minding their business, trying to make it in the world getting murdered.

To add one more thing, upon reflection there are also plenty of liberals who make excuses for dirtbag whites. One example that come to my mind is the jerkoff in Texas who killed a bunch of people with his trucj and git off because of 'affluenza'. Anyways, my point is all of this is way more damaging to the African American community simply because it seems to occur on a more regular basis. Most likely, that is because of socioeconomic factors, but in practice most liberals like to blame the entire white race for the sins of our great, great, great grandfathers, and in the process excuse whatever transpires. Also, very few of them care about the real African Americans in those communities.

Like it or not, this guy put himself in the situation with the cop by not doing what the cop said. Same way with Trayvon. That does not excuse murder in any way, I am just saying it is very stupid to start a fight with a person who either might have a gun or for sure has a gun. Nobody, however, started a thread for Seirra Guyton, the little innocent girl who was killed by a convicted killer that out on parole. I wonder why that is? Maybe because it does not fit the narrative that little Jimmy built up in his head while he was at Princeton getting his BA in political science. Or also, it might be because people do not really give a crap about the real tragedies that happen in the black community every day. Maybe they do not care about all the innocent people who are out minding their business, trying to make it in the world getting murdered.
Including you.

Like it or not, this guy put himself in the situation with the cop by not doing what the cop said.
According to the witness -- and again, this might turn out to be completely wrong -- Brown's only mistake was not getting to the sidewalk. That's not a kill-able offense.

link
How can you blame him? Look at what he's in the middle of....what he's up against. People are going to be offended by bad words here?

Here is another good article on the psychology of looting, again using the UK riots:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/aug/09/uk-riots-psychology-of-looting

At the other end of the authoritarian-liberal spectrum, you have Camila Batmanghelidjh's idea, movingly expressed in the Independent, that this is a natural human response to the brutality of poverty: "Walk on the estate stairwells with your baby in a buggy manoeuvring past the condoms, the needles, into the lift where the best outcome is that you will survive the urine stench and the worst is that you will be raped . . . It's not one occasional attack on dignity, it's a repeated humiliation, being continuously dispossessed in a society rich with possession. Young, intelligent citizens of the ghetto seek an explanation for why they are at the receiving end of bleak Britain, condemned to a darkness where their humanity is not even valued enough to be helped."

Between these poles is a more pragmatic reading: this is what happens when people don't have anything, when they have their noses constantly rubbed in stuff they can't afford, and they have no reason ever to believe that they will be able to afford it. Hiller takes up this idea: "Consumer society relies on your ability to participate in it. So what we recognise as a consumer now was born out of shorter hours, higher wages and the availability of credit. If you're dealing with a lot of people who don't have the last two, that contract doesn't work. They seem to be targeting the stores selling goods they would normally consume. So perhaps they're rebelling against the system that denies its bounty to them because they can't afford it."
A much simpler explanation is that people like getting stuff for free, and a riot provides a good opportunity to steal with impunity.
The article seems to pretty much say the same thing, but in a more nuanced manner.

The bottom line is people want things they can't afford so they take them when the opportunity presents itself.
But tim told me I was wrong. Now I don't know what to believe.
I think you are wrong, and I don't think jonessed is interpreting the article correctly. For one thing, the part I quoted offers two somewhat conflicting POVs. But what I got out of it is that even when the opportunity presents itself, most people won't loot. I doubt anyone in the middle class usually loots, and that includes almost everyone reading this forum. The sort of people who loot have other factors involved that cause them to loot, poverty being one of the biggest. (But even then, it's important to remember that most people in poverty still won't loot- so we're talking about a minority of a minority.)
Language can betray one's meanings. You state that poverty "caused" them to loot, not "permitted", or "contributed", but caused.

Here is another good article on the psychology of looting, again using the UK riots:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/aug/09/uk-riots-psychology-of-looting

At the other end of the authoritarian-liberal spectrum, you have Camila Batmanghelidjh's idea, movingly expressed in the Independent, that this is a natural human response to the brutality of poverty: "Walk on the estate stairwells with your baby in a buggy manoeuvring past the condoms, the needles, into the lift where the best outcome is that you will survive the urine stench and the worst is that you will be raped . . . It's not one occasional attack on dignity, it's a repeated humiliation, being continuously dispossessed in a society rich with possession. Young, intelligent citizens of the ghetto seek an explanation for why they are at the receiving end of bleak Britain, condemned to a darkness where their humanity is not even valued enough to be helped."

Between these poles is a more pragmatic reading: this is what happens when people don't have anything, when they have their noses constantly rubbed in stuff they can't afford, and they have no reason ever to believe that they will be able to afford it. Hiller takes up this idea: "Consumer society relies on your ability to participate in it. So what we recognise as a consumer now was born out of shorter hours, higher wages and the availability of credit. If you're dealing with a lot of people who don't have the last two, that contract doesn't work. They seem to be targeting the stores selling goods they would normally consume. So perhaps they're rebelling against the system that denies its bounty to them because they can't afford it."
A much simpler explanation is that people like getting stuff for free, and a riot provides a good opportunity to steal with impunity.
I kind of agree. Let's face it. Academes make their living prescribing complicated societal pressures to simplistic individual motives.

That being said the cops story stinks to high heaven.

The biggest problem with this story is its just one of too many screamingly un-ending likewise stories....something is very broken and it cant be fixed

link
How can you blame him? Look at what he's in the middle of....what he's up against. People are going to be offended by bad words here?
When a cop refers to humans as animals, he has performed the job of judge and jury. That's not his his assignment.

To serve and protect, not judge.
I wouldn't be so quick to judge what someone says in the extremely dangerous and out of the ordinary situation these guys are in right now.

Its funny, but I would argue that there has not been an effective black leader since MLK. What do you think he would say about all of this? About the thug culture?
You've convinced 0 people that you give a crap about "black leaders" except as rhetorical tools to use when you gripe about black people.

The Ferguson PD is no longer doing the investigation and it is being handled by the St Louis county/city (can't remember which one). This might be why it was declined.
Regarding why the key witness (the friend of the victim) has not been interviewed by the police, the cops released a statement today saying that they have repeatedly tried to reach him, but he hasn't called them back, and eventually it came out that the witness doesn't want to speak with the police because he doesn't trust them. Once the feds come in and take it over altogether, then he'll probably give his official statement, I would think.

Regarding why the key witness (the friend of the victim) has not been interviewed by the police, the cops released a statement today saying that they have repeatedly tried to reach him, but he hasn't called them back, and eventually it came out that the witness doesn't want to speak with the police because he doesn't trust them. Once the feds come in and take it over altogether, then he'll probably give his official statement, I would think.
Ahhh... So Chris Hayes, this guy's lawyer and everyone else who criticized the police for not interviewing this kid were either misleading people or didn't know what they were talking about.

Ahhh... So Chris Hayes, this guy's lawyer and everyone else who criticized the police for not interviewing this kid were either misleading people or didn't know what they were talking about.
dont people realize that it takes weeks after something like this for all the facts and truths to come out? We jump on every little blurb thinking its fact when in fact its anything but fact....ive been guilty of this myself but im learning to be patient

Demonstrators protesting alleged police brutality against a Missouri teen have a new ally: Anonymous.

The notorious hacking collective posted a video Tuesday backing up the mobs that have revolted in Ferguson and St. Louis streets for two straight nights. The riots started after 18-year-old Michael Brown was shot and killed by a police officer over the weekend.

The two-minute video (WARNING: STRONG CONTENT) vowed punishment by hacking if police officers harm any of the demonstrators.

"We are watching you very closely. If you abuse, harass or harm in any way the protesters in Ferguson we will take every web-based asset of your departments and governments offline," the video warned. "That is not a threat, it is a promise."
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/hacker-group-anonymous-threatens-mo-police-article-1.1900772

Anonymous has been vocal in previous cases of police brutality. In 2011, the group hacked into police databases at the University of California after a campus cop pepper-sprayed a passive student protestor. The hackers released personal contact information for the offending officer and encouraged citizens to use it to release "full wrath."

The hacktivists have used their web skills against non-police targets, too.In 2011, they broke into the Westboro Baptist Church's website after it refused to stop protesting at funerals.

Weird that the police haven't interviewed Brown's friend that he was walking with and who observed the whole situation, no?

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/eyewitness-michael-brown-fatal-shooting-missouri
Good grief. If that account is accurate, those cops should spend the rest of their lives in prison.
About 20 minutes before the shooting, Johnson said he saw Brown walking down the street and decided to catch up with him. The two walked and talked. That’s when Johnson says they saw the police car rolling up to them.

The officer demanded that the two “get the f—k on the sidewalk,” Johnson says. “His exact words were get the f—k on the sidewalk.” After telling the officer that they were almost at their destination, Johnson’s house, the two continued walking. But as they did, Johnson says the officer slammed his brakes and threw his truck in reverse, nearly hitting them.

Now, in line with the officer’s driver’s side door, they could see the officer’s face. They heard him say something to the effect of, “what’d you say?” At the same time, Johnson says the officer attempted to thrust his door open but the door slammed into Brown and bounced closed. Johnson says the officer, with his left hand, grabbed Brown by the neck.

“I could see the muscles in his forearm,” Johnson said. “Mike was trying to get away from being choked.”

“They’re not wrestling so much as his arm went from his throat to now clenched on his shirt,” Johnson explained of the scene between Brown and the officer. “It’s like tug of war. He’s trying to pull him in. He’s pulling away, that’s when I heard, ‘I’m gonna shoot you.’”

At that moment, Johnson says he fixed his gaze on the officer to see if he was pulling a stun gun or a real gun. That’s when he saw the muzzle of the officer’s gun.

“I seen the barrel of the gun pointed at my friend,” he said. “He had it pointed at him and said ‘I’ll shoot,’ one more time.” A second later Johnson said he heard the first shot go off. “I seen the fire come out of the barrell,” he said. “I could see so vividly what was going on because I was so close.”

Johnson says he was within arm’s reach of both Brown and the officer. He looked over at Brown and saw blood pooling through his shirt on the right side of the body.

“The whole time [the officer] was holding my friend until the gun went off,” Johnson noted.

Brown and Johnson took off running together. There were three cars lined up along the side of the street. Johnson says he ducked behind the first car, whose two passengers were screaming. Crouching down a bit, he watched Brown run past.

“Keep running, bro!,” he said Brown yelled. Then Brown yelled it a second time. Those would be the last words Johnson’s friend, “Big Mike,” would ever say to him.

Brown made it past the third car. Then, “blam!” the officer took his second shot, striking Brown in the back. At that point, Johnson says Brown stopped, turned with his hands up and said “I don’t have a gun, stop shooting!”

By that point, Johnson says the officer and Brown were face-to-face. The officer then fired several more shots. Johnson described watching Brown go from standing with his hands up to crumbling to the ground and curling into a fetal position.“After seeing my friend get gunned down, my body just ran,” he said. He ran to his apartment nearby. Out of breath, shocked and afraid, Johnson says he went into the bathroom and vomited. Then he checked to make sure that he hadn’t also been shot. Five minutes later, Johnson emerged from his apartment to see his friend Mike dead and in the middle of the street.

Or, you know, just posting a funny joke they saw on twitter. Whatever works for you.

show me the policies.

You are very naive.

show me the policies.

You are very naive.
To be fair, you're the one taking him seriously.

And people wonder why stereotypes exist? lol.......
I don't wonder. Stereotypes exist because of simplistic minds.

Unfortunately, looting seems to result whenever there is protest and rioting. The London riots of 2011 were evidence that there is no racial element that has anything to do with this:

http://www.psychologymatters.asia/article/49/the-psychology-behind-riots-and-looting-the-august-2011-english-riots.html

You might want to read the above article from Psychology Today- using the British riots as an example, it attempts to discuss in depth why protests lead to riots, and why riots lead to looting (always among a minority). Or, skip it and stick to your stereotypes.
Am I allowed to still think most black people are lousy tippers?

Pretty sure that one is still undisputed, but just curious if there is some article that states otherwise that you treat as gospel.

Users who are viewing this thread