What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In a fantasy league with a good friend I don't want to be in after this year but he also didn't mention all the rules to me till last minute before I (1 Viewer)

DJackson10

Footballguy
So short version buddy of my I use to be a co worker (Still in same company different position different store) asked me one night I was with him about joining a league that was mostly people in our company plus 3 of this buddies from HS. I said yes since I knew 3 of the other guys in the league. Dumb me and probably because we had a few adult bevies forgot to ask him how much plus rules. 

We have draft at his house which I thought we'd have offline pick guys off a white board have a few drinks as well and then commissioner fills in the rosters. Wrong. It was so discombobulated. We did the draft online and his Wifi is out so I'm now using cell data and just came over after a long day with another event and exhausted. He and one other guy decide 30 mins before draft to get a few drinks at the bar next to his apartment. His one buddy and me end up staying behind and our other buddy shows up 10 mins till draft. We get 1st two picks. I find out the buy in is $100 (not that I can't afford but I'd have thought about this sooner before saying yes), and find out the scoring isn't really what I like. Still PPR but a lot of the rules are a little whacky on PTS including only 4 PTS for TD Passes. Find out after the draft from my buddy the league is a 2 keeper league and  depending which guy you keep lose that pick 

To say I was a little annoyed with my buddy is an understatement and mention to the one guy after I probably wouldn't have joined if that was the case. Either way I'm not sure I want to be in this league next year. Guys are cool and it's competitive but I'd be willing to stay maybe if some of these rules were changed especially scoring wise however his buddy is kind of thick headed on his rules. I also don't bet a lot and never comfortable playing for money. I've played in money leagues before but at most $25 and anything more I usually don't join or kindly tell them I got too many leagues to handle already. Thinking my best bet is to kindly tell him thanks for offering me a position but I'm taking over a league next year with more responsibility and won't have time for this league is my best bet. I didn't quit the league either right away because I wasn't gonna let him hanging and I'm not that sort of manager either. So I stuck it out for the year. Should I mention the scoring I wasn't a fan of and him kind of steamrolling me at the end there with telling me the rules later or just kindly tell him I won't be back next year? 

Agree with the Judge.  Your friend should have given more details, but there's nothing that can be done now.  Gracefully decline and be sure to ask all pertinent questions before joining other leagues in the future.

Agree with the Judge.  Your friend should have given more details, but there's nothing that can be done now.  Gracefully decline and be sure to ask all pertinent questions before joining other leagues in the future.

Yeah my fault and should know better with this guy. Good friend overall essentially my wingman when going out. He's been off again on again seeing a girl who wrecked his Lexus (I told him I'd have dumped her prompt from the story of how it happened. Apparently he had a rough Thanksgiving Eve (breaking up with her) so I didn't want to rub salt in the wound. 

I stuck it out for the year and will pay like a good owner. Just don't think I'll be staying in the league. We're literally like brothers though. We'll have a huge fight over some stupid but we're like BFF's again like 2 days later like nothing happened. 

i mean i know he put it on you late but you could still have said now that you tell me the price and rules i am out i mean its hard but sometimes just hold your ground so maybe look invward and try to evaluate why you didnt do that and if it is something you need to change about yourself being totally honest take that to the bank brohan 

i mean i know he put it on you late but you could still have said now that you tell me the price and rules i am out i mean its hard but sometimes just hold your ground so maybe look invward and try to evaluate why you didnt do that and if it is something you need to change about yourself being totally honest take that to the bank brohan 

WOuld've done this but I found out right as the draft was about to start so I was in a rock and a hard place at his house already I didn't want to act like a jackass in that moment. I did mention that I said something to his buddy I wasn't fond on the buy in and after the draft I did mention something slightly in a cool way "next time you ask me to do something like this tell me if there's a buy in or not." 

are you in your friend or in a league your friend is running?  OP is confusing.  also, can you post your rooster?

He's co-running things with the guy. It's a friend he's ran a league similar with before. I remember when he worked with me he talked about a similar league. Back then I think it was $50 or something. 

I have King Henrey, traded Miles Sanders for Claypool,Justin Jefferson, Had James white till he was hurt, Drafted Damian Harris/Stevenson, Waller/Pitts at TE, picked up Renfrow, Tevin Coleman, AJ Dillion, Deonte Forman, Stafford and Wentz, Bass as kicker and been streaming defenses most of the year (which led to another problem of roster move limits). Commissioner fortunately changed this after 4 managers were almost at their limit half way through the season. All higher ranking teams including his own at the time which basically had me second guessing again about the league. I had Minn defense which was looking great at HT last night and soured out by the end. I only had positive pts by the end thanks to the 5 sacks and INT and do to where I am in the league I couldn't pick up NOs defense for this week vs NYJ. 

League has been competitive and everyone active which was nice. 

I kind of got stuck the same way last year. I was told it was pretty standard PPR by a buddy I've been in leagues with before and there was no buy in so I said sure. Then it turns out the rules are kind of weird and most of the players are related either directly or by marriage which becomes important in a minute. So I'm having a good year. And I'm running away with it. So that's when the BS trades start amongst husbands, wives, brothers, etc. A team would be a doormat until the week I played them and suddenly they got a nice roster. And now they are actually managing their team. My buddy who got me in was pretty pissed off about it all and we both decided there would be no next year in that league for us.

I kind of got stuck the same way last year. I was told it was pretty standard PPR by a buddy I've been in leagues with before and there was no buy in so I said sure. Then it turns out the rules are kind of weird and most of the players are related either directly or by marriage which becomes important in a minute. So I'm having a good year. And I'm running away with it. So that's when the BS trades start amongst husbands, wives, brothers, etc. A team would be a doormat until the week I played them and suddenly they got a nice roster. And now they are actually managing their team. My buddy who got me in was pretty pissed off about it all and we both decided there would be no next year in that league for us.

Unfortunately this isn't an option for my buddy. I don't think he's involved in any conclusion but he knows most of the people more than me. 

Venmo'd my buddy the money but I didn't tell him I'm leaving the league because I don't want him telling his friend running the league. Not that I think my friend is cheating but I believe there's collusion as well between the commissioner and others. I noticed today I'm a few % pts up on a possible win for this week. I need to beat one of the guys in the league to get the last playoff spot. He had Emmanuel Sanders question. Sanders played early and I can't say for sure but I think someone changed Sanders in the guys line up and then placed him on the bench for Christian Kirk. He has Kyler Murray. Guy I'm going against is an amateur to fantasy football and one of my buddies friends and I had a discussion when my friend and this guy went to the bar next to the apartment questioning if this was a pay in league not sure why we have such an amateur in the league? Dude drafted a good team but really doesn't know the players. Shocked how good he was. Don't think he changed the Line up but I think the commissioner did so he can have all his buddies in the playoffs. 

So with all of that said I'm holding off till I'm officially eliminated to tell my buddy I'm out of the league because I think if his friend finds out he might try to screw me. Either way this is definitely a lessoned learned for the future. Don't agree to be in a fantasy league with your buddy after you both have been drinking and don't remember to ask the questions needed 

I see no harm in telling him you dont like to spend $100 and are more comfortable with different rules. Why would someone get mad about that? 

Noting worse than being in a rock and a hard place.  Good thing it's a lessoned learned.  Nice of you to not let him hanging.

Just respectfully opt out. If pressed, lie that you are trimming FF leagues, nothing more. It's a better look than giving a laundry list that includes using your cell data.

Yeah I was just gonna say I ended up with more responsibilities in another league I'm in and I need to trim leagues. Just tell them the league I'm taking over has been around longer than that one. 

Honestly I was only mad about the Cell data thing because I had already had a long day as is. It was also scheduled the same time as a PPV I wanted to watch and I bought (Had he had Internet up we'd have watched it at his place) and I would've done the draft on my laptop instead. Just pissed more so I rushed over to his house and ended up doing something I could do at home. However I wouldn't have found out about the 2 keepers or buy in probably had I not been there.Either way it was a small part. 

The not telling me the buy in, the 2 keepers (which really effected my strategy), the weird stat rules and the shady business from his friend who's the commissioner was more concerning to me. 

Cjw_55106 said:
I see no harm in telling him you dont like to spend $100 and are more comfortable with different rules. Why would someone get mad about that? 

Might just tell him I wasn't comfortable spending $100 on the league and may have just told him no if I had known the rules prior. If he asks. 

Noting worse than being in a rock and a hard place.  Good thing it's a lessoned learned.  Nice of you to not let him hanging.

Yeah I've been in leagues this has happened. I use to belong to the Phillies message boar part of MLB.com and their forums. Ironically it was a friend I got to know from there in our Eagles thread to who linked me to this board when a member here had a buddy linked to the Eagles FO and giving some info out to us. Either way we started a football keeper league. We had a few issues first 2 seasons our main commissioner quiet as Commissioner so we got a new one (We voted who should take over as I was still new to Fantasy football despite it my idea). We gave Commissioner duties to the guy who took over our Baseball keeper league when our original guy couldn't do it do to having a newborn. Anyway last year of it was 2018 a trade was vetoed do to how lopsided it was. Main culprit was a dude who was making trades left and right and trying to shark guys who were newer to fantasy football (This is a free league BTW). So Commish kicked him out and we couldn't find an owner. Other guy was PO'd throughout the draft making negative comments throughout the draft. Anyway day of the first week he drops his whole team and quits. This isn't after having some choice words for the league and commissioner with language I can't repeat without risk of being sent to timeout here. Commissioner ended up doing line ups for 2 teams the whole year plus managing him own. League filed do to the board being deactivated and lost interest plus no one wanted to go to 8 teams bigger rosters and more keeper. 

Yeah I've been in leagues this has happened. I use to belong to the Phillies message boar part of MLB.com and their forums. Ironically it was a friend I got to know from there in our Eagles thread to who linked me to this board when a member here had a buddy linked to the Eagles FO and giving some info out to us. Either way we started a football keeper league. We had a few issues first 2 seasons our main commissioner quiet as Commissioner so we got a new one (We voted who should take over as I was still new to Fantasy football despite it my idea). We gave Commissioner duties to the guy who took over our Baseball keeper league when our original guy couldn't do it do to having a newborn. Anyway last year of it was 2018 a trade was vetoed do to how lopsided it was. Main culprit was a dude who was making trades left and right and trying to shark guys who were newer to fantasy football (This is a free league BTW). So Commish kicked him out and we couldn't find an owner. Other guy was PO'd throughout the draft making negative comments throughout the draft. Anyway day of the first week he drops his whole team and quits. This isn't after having some choice words for the league and commissioner with language I can't repeat without risk of being sent to timeout here. Commissioner ended up doing line ups for 2 teams the whole year plus managing him own. League filed do to the board being deactivated and lost interest plus no one wanted to go to 8 teams bigger rosters and more keeper. 
:doh:

He had Emmanuel Sanders question. Sanders played early and I can't say for sure but I think someone changed Sanders in the guys line up and then placed him on the bench for Christian Kirk. He has Kyler Murray. Guy I'm going against is an amateur to fantasy football and one of my buddies friends and I had a discussion when my friend and this guy went to the bar next to the apartment questioning if this was a pay in league not sure why we have such an amateur in the league? Dude drafted a good team but really doesn't know the players. Shocked how good he was. Don't think he changed the Line up but I think the commissioner did so he can have all his buddies in the playoffs. 
Two things......first anybody can get into any league and it doesn't matter if you are "amateur" in a "pay" league.  You gotta start somewhere.  

Now, for the lineup change issue.  You should be able to go into the host site and see if the commish made any lineup changes to a team.  That should be tracked for all to see in the transactions.  If this is happening then you need to call it out because that is flat out wrong.  I would be requesting my money back if this was happening and I would use that as the reason to bow out of the league.  If you cannot trust a commish to be fair and not complete shenanigans such as covertly changing someone's lineup illegally after the games started then there is no need to be in that league.  

Two things......first anybody can get into any league and it doesn't matter if you are "amateur" in a "pay" league.  You gotta start somewhere.  

We were more so saying in a league with the amount we were putting in then we'd like some guys who have been around. it's not that he wasn't competitive but he hadn't played fantasy in awhile and was asking a ton of amateurish questions about how to draft players and other things. Also he didn't seem to know any of the players really. It worked out better then we thought but me and my buddies one friend were kind of hesitant about it. 

Now, for the lineup change issue.  You should be able to go into the host site and see if the commish made any lineup changes to a team.  That should be tracked for all to see in the transactions.  If this is happening then you need to call it out because that is flat out wrong.  I would be requesting my money back if this was happening and I would use that as the reason to bow out of the league.  If you cannot trust a commish to be fair and not complete shenanigans such as covertly changing someone's lineup illegally after the games started then there is no need to be in that league.  

I was able to look and it looks like the change was made prior to Sanders game so it's good. Is it bad I was actually hoping there was some shady business so I could get my money back though? Just don't trust the league at this point and it uses Yahoo which I'm not a fan of besides when playing fantasy baseball. 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread