What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Juwan Thompson (1 Viewer)

JFS171

Footballguy
Just made this post in the CJ Anderson thread, but it probably should be in its own thread to discuss Thompson.

All of us CJ owners need to be ready to make the jump to Thompson. There were some rumors of Thomson impressing earlier this summer, plus the performance in the first preseason game combined with CJ's concussion. There was also talk this summer that CJ was grossly out of shape, but most of us considered it coachspeak and CJ looked pretty solid to start the preseason.

Now we've got this camp report from yesterday:

Excerpt:

When the Broncos starting offense opened team drills in Tuesday’s first practice, it was undrafted rookie Juwan Thompson at running back as the group went though some situational work. It was a product of two running backs currently being sidelined, as Montee Ball recovers from an appendectomy and C.J. Anderson from a concussion, but also a sign of Thompson’s progress since training camp opened. Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning said Tuesday he was familiar with the Duke running back’s work long before Thompson was signed by the Broncos as an undrafted rookie in May. Manning and the Broncos' pass catchers have spent parts of the last two offseasons working at Duke. Duke head coach David Cutcliffe is also a trusted Manning confidante and his former offensive coordinator at Tennessee. Thompson has earned raves from the Broncos for his ability to adjust on the fly and get the play right when Manning or backup Brock Osweiler make changes before the snap. Ronnie Hillman is still working at Ball’s primary backup, but Thompson, who is also the biggest back on the roster, is making a serious case to be among the final 53.
A few comments here -- Thompson is by far the biggest back on the roster at 5'11", 225lbs and situationally already seems to understand a lot of the concepts in the offense, which is HUGE for a rookie. Manning and Cutcliffe are extremely close, so I find it telling the article directly mentions Manning's familiarity with Thompson leading to the Broncos to bring him in. As a Duke product (granted not all athletes at Duke are geniuses) you would expect Thompson to be able to handle the mental side of the game, which it seems he is thus far.

Here's perhaps the bigger thing to me: it was the OPENING of practice with the STARTING unit. Why wasn't Hillman in there? It's more of the smoke like we saw last year with Ronnie and the Broncos where he's pumped up as the backup to Ball/Moreno or even the starter, but there are little hints he's strictly a COP guy. Then he doesn't perform extremely well in the game.

Ball's going to get every opportunity, but I've said for a very long time that he looks pretty average to me. Thompson may or may not be special, but that's why we've been rostering CJ this whole time anyway. Thompson thus far sure sounds a whole lot like CJ did last camp...

As to his measurables (pro day numbers - wasn't invited to the combine best I can tell):

Vert - 35.5 (tied Bishop Sankey and Storm Johnson - would have been good for 13th among RBs at the combine)

Broad - 9'11" (1" short of Terrance West; an inch better than Storm Johnson - would have put him 18th among RBs at the combine)

40 yard - 4.57 (same as James White and Crowell - would have been 17th fastest at the combine among RBs)

Short Shuttle - 4.52 (not good -- most of the bigger guys didn't seem to run this, though his time is .01 from Alfred Blue's)

3-Cone -- 6.97 (would have been 8th at the combine among RBs -- faster than notable backups James White, Devonta Freeman, Charles Sims, etc.)

We need to watch this one closely...

Lammey hype article on Thompson:

Excerpt:

There’s nothing that Thompson can’t do. He can be a standout player as a runner, receiver out of the backfield, lead blocker or pass blocker.

Thompson has the size to grind down defenses between the tackles. His size gives him an advantage when taking on smaller defenders at the second level. Thompson can run through arm tackles with ease, and he has the ability to consistently move the chains in short-yardage situations.

His yards per carry increase as the game goes on. In the first half, Thompson averaged 4.97 yards per carry. In the second half (and overtime), Thompson averaged 5.94 yards per carry. His punishing style wears down an opponent over time.

He has soft hands to secure passes quickly as a receiver out of the backfield. Thompson does a good job of looking passes in, and he properly extends his arms to catch passes away from his body. Not only can he get open against linebackers on screen passes and wheel routes, Thompson also knows how to use his body to keep defenders away from the ball.

Pass protection might be his best asset.

John Fox's history here suggests he never sees the light of day as a rookie
As a Panthers' fan I know all too much about Fox's history... and you make a good point. However, what I believe has helped the Broncos be so successful thus far is pretty much making Fox a CEO-type of HC and letting him focus on the D. Make no mistake, this is Peyton's offense. First with McCoy, now with Gase.

I don't believe Fox's history in Carolina when he had much, MUCH more oversight on the offense is a great indication of how rookies will be used on that side of the ball moving forward.

I agree this is certainly worth monitoring. Juwan Thompson's star is undoubtedly on the rise. There are several bodies in Thompson's way for meaningful carries once the season kicks off for real, but this is an excellent opportunity to prove himself.

I wouldn't read too much into Thompson getting the first reps at practice, however. Like Thompson and Bibbs, Hillman acquitted himself well in the Broncos' first preseason game. Although his stat line looks only meager, running against the Seahawks' first-team defense, Hillman ran with power and burst, he showed good ball security and made a key third-down blitz pickup.

Thompson's football career activity to date would suggest that even moreso.

He could be a really nice piece as a special teamer (he also played S in college) and as RB depth. Valuable to a NFL team primarily because it diversifies the STs on the roster. But evaluated as a RB who might make some kind of impact beyond depth? I'm not seeing it.

The hype above, given the source, is no surprise.

In the Broncos day 20 camp report on their site he is mentioned a lot. But mostly for the defense making good plays on him.

As a Panthers' fan I know all too much about Fox's history... and you make a good point. However, what I believe has helped the Broncos be so successful thus far is pretty much making Fox a CEO-type of HC and letting him focus on the D. Make no mistake, this is Peyton's offense. First with McCoy, now with Gase.

I don't believe Fox's history in Carolina when he had much, MUCH more oversight on the offense is a great indication of how rookies will be used on that side of the ball moving forward.
Considering the offense it certainly is a situation to monitor.

But you could make the argument that every team missing their top 2 backs due to injury is a situation to monitor.

I think for me it's interesting because a guy being labeled as potentially the best pass protector on the team also is getting some goalline reps and praise from Manning himself.

Last year it was Hillman, Hillman, Hillman... then Ball started getting hype. Who was on the field when the games started? The guy that could pass protect the best. That's a really, really nice skill to have in a Peyton-led offense.

I didn't watch the game but Thompson had another good game statically. He is still getting 4th RB carries, however. Is Denver going to keep 4 RBs?

I didn't watch the game but Thompson had another good game statically. He is still getting 4th RB carries, however. Is Denver going to keep 4 RBs?
They might have, but with Prater being suspended they probably won't as they will need to pick up an idiot kicker due to their kicker being an idiot....and a drunk.

He's a pretty mediocre player imo. He's a one cut and go kinda back who likes to lower the boom, and he's not much else. In the Broncos offense that might be enough to have a few decent weeks, but there's no chance of more than that imo.

Thoughts on Juwan?

I've read Bronco fans mention him here and there and oh look who pops into the game yesterday and takes the TD.

Thoughts on Juwan?

I've read Bronco fans mention him here and there and oh look who pops into the game yesterday and takes the TD.
I am wondering the same thing. Ball has been a HUGE disappointment and the ground game seems to be better when he isn't a participant. Ball just looks so slow. I think it will be RBBC and having CJ inactive yesterday (due to his lack in speical teams play) makes it even more interesting. I don't think anyone will know until later in the week. I see Hillman and CJ sharing, but don't count out Juwan.

despite Hillman starting, #Broncos sources say there could be larger role for Juwan Thompson than some think
- Cecil Lammey

https://twitter.com/cecillammey/status/521299510644183040

clear as mud RT @cecillammey despite Hillman starting, #Broncos sources say there could be larger role for Juwan Thompson than some think
- Sig Bloom in response.

https://twitter.com/SigmundBloom
Interesting, Duke used as a CoP and on D...

Starting with confidence
Joke right? Confidence? There is no way anyone can reasonably start him with confidence yet.
If he gets a GL TD, may be worth it, but I'd hope somebody would have better options....

Here's how I view the mess

Hillman is the vet....he's earned his shot. His size is a liability and he's not really proven himself in past chances

CJ looks good running the ball, but hasn't seemed to progress in the pass game (may surprise?)

Juwan is green at the RB position and in Denver's system

So it's a weird time of the season, can fill the backbench with defenses and streaming TEs or QBs, or you can take a shot at a wildcard.

IIRC Thompson got no carries last week, but he is one of only two Bronco RBs now. The reviews were impressed. CJA didn't exactly get big yards last week but it was a tough game for everyone, still at some point maybe the Broncos want to try to be more effective.

So it's a weird time of the season, can fill the backbench with defenses and streaming TEs or QBs, or you can take a shot at a wildcard.

IIRC Thompson got no carries last week, but he is one of only two Bronco RBs now. The reviews were impressed. CJA didn't exactly get big yards last week but it was a tough game for everyone, still at some point maybe the Broncos want to try to be more effective.
Didn't they activate Kapri Bibbs off the practice squad? With both Ball and Hillman out, he becomes the #3RB in Denver.

I think Juwan Thompson is a very good speculative add right now if you have a spot to tinker with.

To begin the season, CJ Anderson's grip on the starting job was being questioned by some. CJ was outshined by Hillman in preseason, and Hillman subsequently earned significant work in week one. CJ didn't look good in week one and is already facing an injury that could force him to be limited, lose more carries, or possibly miss time altogether. Problem is, Hillman may not be cut out for more carries. Enter Juwan Thompson. Here's a recent rotoworld blurb and quote from Gary Kubiak about Thompson:

Second-year RB Juwan Thompson is reportedly challenging for the Broncos' No. 2 running back job. Thompson averaged 5.0 yards on 54 carries as an undrafted rookie out of Duke last season, scoring three touchdowns. He's reportedly putting heat on Montee Ball and Ronnie Hillman behind C.J. Anderson. "Forty (Thompson's number) looked unbelievable today," coach Gary Kubiak said after Saturday's practice. "He's built for what we do."

Source: 9 News Denver Aug 1 - 9:48 PM

Thompson did, in fact, force Montee Ball out of town. Hillman is still there and may technically be listed as the #2 RB, but that doesn't necessarily mean his role would change should CJ struggle and/or miss time. It might make more sense for the bigger, more powerful, better blocking back Thompson to fill CJ's role while Hillman remains the cop weapon. After all, Kubiak said himself that Thompson "looked unbelievable" and "is built for what we do". If Thompson is built for what they do, then one could surmise that Hillman clearly isn't. Suppose Thompson gets more playing time and continues to look unbelievable? For me, it just isn't difficult to envision a scenario where CJ is limited and/or misses time, and Juwan comes in and fills his role looking superior in the process.

Again, it's very speculative, but I won't be shocked if a few weeks from now Juwan Thompson is Kubiak's workhorse and goal line back with Hillman the cop, and CJ filling the Montee Ball role of 2014 on the sideline. We could see our first glimpse of it tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a lot easier when the other dude just said Hillman is the play

Now I have decisions to make

They'll need to update the program and knock an inch off his height after that collision.

(They still have game programs at stadiums, right? I'm old.)

Bipps sent back down to PS, does that mean juwan is healthy? Could he steal a piece out of this backfield that seems up for grabs as they search for running game?

scooped him in 2 leagues

Can't seem to part with him. I just think with Denvers history of running backs coming out of nowhere, Juwan is a guy you keep on the end of your bench and wait. The upside is enormous.

I agree he's a good end of deep osters guy. But the upside is not that much IMO. Not really talented, but a really hard worker. I mean, he was a backup and special teams player at Duke. Not exactly a bastion of talent for the skill positions.

As we all know Anderson is dealing with an ankle injury in which Kubiak said he's "very sore". Hillman just popped up on the injury report with a foot issue and didn't practice today. Wednesday practices are far from important, especially at this point in the season but it's definitely worth monitoring. It's possible that Juwan Thompson is worth the preemptive pick-up, especially if you own one of the aforementioned players.

As we all know Anderson is dealing with an ankle injury in which Kubiak said he's "very sore". Hillman just popped up on the injury report with a foot issue and didn't practice today. Wednesday practices are far from important, especially at this point in the season but it's definitely worth monitoring. It's possible that Juwan Thompson is worth the preemptive pick-up, especially if you own one of the aforementioned players.
i wish i could take a flyer on him but it's a late game and it sure seems like there would be no way possible CJA or hillman are ruled out before sunday.

Apparently Hillman didn't practice today despite it being reported otherwise. CJA didn't practice again.
I actually find it curious that this isn't drawing more interest. Let's say hypothetically they both don't practice again tomorrow, everyone will be shouting to grab Thompson. Obviously, I think he should have been rostered yesterday. Thompson is talented enough to parlay significant touches into RB1 production at this point of the year. I mean, the majority of experts view Shaun ####### Draughn as a mid-range RB1 this week.

Tomrrow's practice will be very telling.

^^sums up my thinking on the matter. If you've got a roster spot available a guy who has a reasonable possibility of getting featured carries and has looked decent in the past seems like a no-brainer add.

Given their relative lack of success rushing the ball this year there's also the slight chance he takes the job and runs with it if he's able to make hay with the other two guys out.

Ingram owners need to take note here. I agree, I think Thompson could have a nice impact. Heck I'm rolling the dice with Tim Hightower.

Users who are viewing this thread