What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is Allen Hurns? (3 Viewers)

Re-drafting the 2014 wide receiver class

Excerpt:

Allen Hurns, Jacksonville JaguarsUndrafted out of Miami, Hurns was an early-season surprise as Jacksonville's most productive receiver. As it turns out, there was an obvious reason for Hurns' facile adjustment to the NFL game. He already knew Jedd Fisch's offense from their days together at the University of Miami, giving him an edge on Allen Robinson and Marqise Lee.

Hurns was a boom or bust player as a rookie. Although he showed a good double move, much of his September separation was provided by the quarterbacks' play action and pump fakes. As the season went along, drops became a problem and he struggled to make plays. I question whether he has an NFL starter's hands, physicality, athleticism and catch radius.

The Question: Are the big plays repeatable?

Hurns' early-season big plays had a fluky nature to them, vanishing in the second half of the season. More than most receivers, he relied upon missed tackles and blown coverage to make plays. He can be an effective fourth or fifth option, but will be bypassed by Robinson, Lee and Julius Thomas in 2015.

Comparison: Kevin Ogletree

Rotoworld:

Allen Hurns is running as a first-team wideout at training camp, ahead of Marqise Lee.

Lee's inconsistent play and consistent trips to the training room have him lagging behind. Meanwhile, Hurns has been "steady as usual" while running opposite breakout candidate Allen Robinson. Regardless of who wins out between Hurns and Lee, we're not expecting much statistical production as the No. 3 target on a team that figures to play slow and scuffle offensively.

Aug 4 - 1:11 PM

Source: Florida Times Union

Lee out another 2 weeks. Hurns picking up steam.
I just heard that, too. Coaches generally don't like players that can't stay on the field. I'd wager Hurns and Robinson are definitely the two to own here.
Not just that but Lee is a guy who really needs the reps IMO. He struggled adapting to the playbook last year and with this being a (supposedly) vital year in Bortles learning curve it's just not good he's not there.

Rotoworld:

Allen Hurns - WR - Jaguars

The Jaguars are expected to use two-tight end "12" personnel "so much it might be their base grouping."

In a major departure from last year's Jedd Fisch-coordinated three-receiver offense, Marcedes Lewis and Julius Thomas would be near-full-time players, with only two wide receivers on the field and RB T.J. Yeldon. With Allen Hurns consistently staying ahead of injury-riddled Marqise Lee, Hurns is positioned to be an every-down regular on offense. Per the Florida Times-Union, Hurns and Allen Robinson have been "in a dead heat" for the best receiver in camp.

Source: Florida Times Union

Aug 8 - 11:06 PM

Well anyone starting him? Have Matthews and thinking of rolling with him or Hankerson.
I'm thinking about going with him over Cooks with Brees out and Josh Norman likely on him. He's been mediocre so far and McCown has thrown 1 pass since 2011 and hasn't thrown a TD since 2007, yes, 2007.

Starting him over Roddy White. Hurns is a PPR machine and he is also pretty adept at getting into endzone. Plus, I figure NE gets a lead and so Jax will have to pass a lot. Garbage points count the same as other points...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well anyone starting him? Have Matthews and thinking of rolling with him or Hankerson.
I'm thinking about going with him over Cooks with Brees out and Josh Norman likely on him. He's been mediocre so far and McCown has thrown 1 pass since 2011 and hasn't thrown a TD since 2007, yes, 2007.
He's in over Cooks. Combo of Panthers/Norman against McCown and tons of garbage time against the Pats. I see NE and Carolina getting up and NE's D is a bit porous against garbage time and the Panthers will knock McCown around with a big lead.

When does Hurns start to get recognition? Three weeks in and he has produced almost as much as Allen Robinson on half the targets.

Hurns and Robinson both have 11 receptions but Hurns did it on 15 targets compared to 28 for Robinson.

Robinson has more yards on his 11 than Hurns, 250 to 198.

But it seems like Hurns is not recognized as a legitimate WR3, which is what he is. In my 1 pt PPR league, he is WR32.

When does Hurns start to get recognition? Three weeks in and he has produced almost as much as Allen Robinson on half the targets.

Hurns and Robinson both have 11 receptions but Hurns did it on 15 targets compared to 28 for Robinson.

Robinson has more yards on his 11 than Hurns, 250 to 198.

But it seems like Hurns is not recognized as a legitimate WR3, which is what he is. In my 1 pt PPR league, he is WR32.
I've noticed.

Biggest issue seems to be that offense in general.

Then again, it's Hurns and Robinson... and that's pretty much it in the pass game. Lots of snaps.

4 targets when your getting blown out seems odd. Should of had a least twice that many

Still Ill take his production as my wr3
Bortles operates under the Allen Robinson is my #1 wide receiver so I have to force the ball to him regardless if Hurns is open or not.
I don't see Jacksonville enough to know if this is true, but if it is, then should they ever get a better QB it could really help Hurns.

Of course I didn't start Hurns this week.

Has he become a must start now? I haven't actually watched any Jags games, so are his yards a result of garbage time catches? Not that those count less than the other ones!

Of course I didn't start Hurns this week.

Has he become a must start now? I haven't actually watched any Jags games, so are his yards a result of garbage time catches? Not that those count less than the other ones!
he's a legit good player. Bortles is looking for him and the defense still wants to stop Allen Robinson first. He also had a decent match-up this week against Mike Jenkins... at least I think it was Jenkins covering him most of the time.

FGITLOTR said:
In non-ppr, am I crazy to think he is a low end #2 WR moving forward? He's a pretty good player.
I'm picking him up with this thought as well. I love his usage and love his catch rate. If I get home, he'll be starting over Evans and Cooks until they prove they're as consistent as this dude.

Anyone concerned that as Julius Thomas comes back into the fold Hurns's targets will go down? Or will Green Julius open things up for him?

How is Bortles shoulder? FBG's recommends I start this guy over Landry...
Seems ok, at least as far as Bortles is saying:

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/400642/hays-carlyon/2015-10-14/jaguars-qb-blake-bortles-will-practice-wednesday-despite

“It’s fine,” Bortles said. “I don’t expect any limitations at all. I planned on practicing the whole time. … It’s important to me for the offensive line to see me in the huddle every play.”
I just traded away Gore for Hurns in a 1pt PPR redraft league where you can start four WRs but only two RBs. I feel good about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread