What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adrian Peterson Status Updates (3 Viewers)

cstu said:
I said last year when this was happening that there was no way he would play again for the Vikings after the way they treated him.
This is a joke right? The way THEY treated HIM? They did what they had to do. They tried to stand by him but the court of public opinion led to sponsors leaving in droves so they did what they had to do or let the team be crushed financially. He is the one who made the mistake and as of yet has refused to take any responsibility for it.
They tried to stand by him? Really. For that day and a half until they realized it was not a popular side to support? That to me is a joke.

I think even Peterson realized they they needed him to go away until his court case was resolved-that his situation was to toxic at the time. I think he could have gotten over being duped into being put on the commissioners exempt list. But by the time his case was resolved the public furor had died down considerably. Still the Vikings still sat idly by, never offering him any public support on a level higher up than the coaching ranks. When he got suspended for the season and later lost his appeal they never tried to stand by him as you say, instead simply issuing statements saying they supported the NFL's decision.

I'm not even convinced the Vikings really want him back. But by publicly supporting him after the fact they get to shift the blame on Peterson when this relationship breaks up. They want their fans to think in the end the relationship ended because Peterson wanted out, not them. And oh, if it helps generate a trade market for him instead of other teams just sitting back thinking they can pluck him up in FA that's not so bad either.
:goodposting:
Duped into the commissioners exemption list? lol You don't think he knew what it meant to be on that list? He and his agent knew what was going on at the time and they both knew it was going to happen and why.

So then tell me what would you have done if you were the owner of a billion dollar business? No if you were the owner of the Vikings. You have Peterson and everything he has done for the team. You want to support him but the court of public opinion is crushing your franchise and your sponsors are backing out on you. Also the NFL is on you not only because of this situation but because the Ray Rice and Greg Hardy situations are also going on and things are not looking good for the NFL or your team reputation wise? You stand to lose a TON by keeping him on the field not only financially but your reputation is on the line as well. The Vikings like many other teams have had a lot of bad publicity in the past and it's not easy to get that back.

If it's me I have my coaches continue to let people know we think he needs to be with the team. I keep my upper management and myself quiet other than supporting the NFLs disciplinary decisions to keep my sponsors. Why? Because if I don't do this my team gets destroyed by the media and the public and I spend the next decade or more trying to get past this instead of a year or two.

Now I have been on Petersons side this whole time. I think it was a mistake and in no way do I think he will continue to discipline his children that way. I've always wanted him back and I pretty much still do. For a while I thought he should restructure but even that is not necessary to me. What I do want to see is him take some responsibility though. From what I have seen he has not done that. He has done what is required by the NFL for reinstatement but nothing beyond that. I would love to see him come back and retire as a Viking but even Adrian Peterson needs to understand that what he did was very bad and he needs to take responsibility for that instead of trying to play the victim.

Edited to add: I don't think the NFL or the Vikings are perfect in any way and a lot of this was trying to save face for both. But I do think in this case given all the circumstances the team did what they had to do. As far as the NFL, the sooner the Goodell era ends the better.

Last edited by a moderator:
cstu said:
I said last year when this was happening that there was no way he would play again for the Vikings after the way they treated him.
This is a joke right? The way THEY treated HIM? They did what they had to do. They tried to stand by him but the court of public opinion led to sponsors leaving in droves so they did what they had to do or let the team be crushed financially. He is the one who made the mistake and as of yet has refused to take any responsibility for it.
They tried to stand by him? Really. For that day and a half until they realized it was not a popular side to support? That to me is a joke.

I think even Peterson realized they they needed him to go away until his court case was resolved-that his situation was to toxic at the time. I think he could have gotten over being duped into being put on the commissioners exempt list. But by the time his case was resolved the public furor had died down considerably. Still the Vikings still sat idly by, never offering him any public support on a level higher up than the coaching ranks. When he got suspended for the season and later lost his appeal they never tried to stand by him as you say, instead simply issuing statements saying they supported the NFL's decision.

I'm not even convinced the Vikings really want him back. But by publicly supporting him after the fact they get to shift the blame on Peterson when this relationship breaks up. They want their fans to think in the end the relationship ended because Peterson wanted out, not them. And oh, if it helps generate a trade market for him instead of other teams just sitting back thinking they can pluck him up in FA that's not so bad either.
This post is a joke. Vikings tried to activate Peterson for the Saints game and Spielman conducted a press conference in front of the Radisson backdrop. Radisson promptly suspended their contract with the Vikings organization. The Minnesota governor called Adrian Peterson’s actions a ‘public embarrassment,’ and said that the running back should still be suspended. Nike suspended endorsement with Adrian Peterson and Target pulled Peterson merchandise. The NFL stepped in and allowed Peterson to be put on the exempt list. Every "holly than thou" sports personality was ranting endlessly on how Peterson should be thrown out of the league permanently.

The Vikings had no choice to stand idly by and never offer him any public support. If they did then the sports personalities would accuse them of supporting a child abuser simply because of his football ability.

cstu said:

This post is a joke. Vikings tried to activate Peterson for the Saints game and Spielman conducted a press conference in front of the Radisson backdrop. Radisson promptly suspended their contract with the Vikings organization. The Minnesota governor called Adrian Peterson’s actions a ‘public embarrassment,’ and said that the running back should still be suspended. Nike suspended endorsement with Adrian Peterson and Target pulled Peterson merchandise. The NFL stepped in and allowed Peterson to be put on the exempt list. Every "holly than thou" sports personality was ranting endlessly on how Peterson should be thrown out of the league permanently.

The Vikings had no choice to stand idly by and never offer him any public support. If they did then the sports personalities would accuse them of supporting a child abuser simply because of his football ability.
Thanks for the recap of what everyone already knew. You and Heatman seem to be mixing up the issue at play. This is not about whether or not the Vikings should have shown him more support, that's a different issue. Fact of the matter is they did not, as you mentioned in the bolded part which pretty much agreed with my post you labeled a joke. Their PR stance changes to suit their needs, which is fine, but it does not mean Peterson is comfortable with them or trusts them any longer which he obviously does not.

You just have one question to ask yourself, and please just ask yourself because I don't really care for your answer. Is what changed from now until after his court case was resolved that they went from unable to publicly support a child abuser because of his football ability, as you said, to all of sudden throwing out comments left and right in support of him? Don't think to hard because nothing changed, he's as much or as little of a child abuser today as he was when his court case was settled.

I will leave your comments alone. I think it difficult for the organization to walk the tight rope of public perception and is virtually a no win situation for them. If the charges never happened and the Vikings decided not to pay him 15 M in the final years of his contract I think the organization would get less kickback. Now they are perceived as abandoning him when the going gets tough. It's a passing league and Peterson has never really improved significantly as a pass catcher. He might be more valuable to another team not running a Norv Turner type offense.

You just have one question to ask yourself, and please just ask yourself because I don't really care for your answer. Is what changed from now until after his court case was resolved that they went from unable to publicly support a child abuser because of his football ability, as you said, to all of sudden throwing out comments left and right in support of him?
Time has passed, that is what has changed. Peterson has been virtually unsupportable, playing his victim card since day 1 as a NFLPA pawn. The NFLPA might have to carry that banner; I don't think anyone else in the galaxy has that gall. No one can argue with a straight face that the Vikes should have publically crusaded against Goodell to lessen the penalty for abuse of a 4 year old. But the horde has moved on with the end of the NFL season, and the team has a much better leg to stand on turning the page itself. Foolhardy thinking, as Peterson is getting pretty fluent playing the victim card. Or he is so delusional he actually thinks he is a victim of all this fuss. I really don't care at this point.

I still laugh at the irony of how Adrian thinks he was abused by the league. Here's a newsflash "the punishment doesn't always fit the crime." Like for instance when you beat a kid so badly for not taking turns that he gets lacerations...for instance.

He just doesn't get it does he?

I'm still boggled (and can't remember specifics), but didn't he get suspended WITH PAY for the majority of the season? Yeah, that's just a horrible slap in the face. What a little piss-ant, whiney, d-bag this guy is turning out to be. And I was a huge fan before all this. His (and imo, its clearly HIS as no PR person worth $0.02 would have had him making public statements like he did) behavior has been very questionable through all this.

Whatever. Considering I traded for him 2 days before this came to light, the only thing this dynasty owner wants to see is him behind the Cowboys OL. Oh my.

I guess given his situation, he'd take less than Murray right now to be a Cowboy? Lets assume that the two were graded out to be identical in the eyes of the Cowboys, and any and all "off the field" stuff didn't matter. Both are (at least going to be) UFAs, correct? Which one would take less to play in Dallas?

Peterson is still under contract to Minny for the next 3 years correct? If so the Vikings hold all the cards. Play for the Vikings and get paid, sit and not get paid. Or if a trade comes along that helps the Vikings they can deal him.

I guess given his situation, he'd take less than Murray right now to be a Cowboy? Lets assume that the two were graded out to be identical in the eyes of the Cowboys, and any and all "off the field" stuff didn't matter. Both are (at least going to be) UFAs, correct? Which one would take less to play in Dallas?
if you're assuming the off the field stuff didn't matter, Murray would cost less.

But it does matter. Which will bring his asking price down some (how much, who knows?)

If you can get Murray and AD for the same price over the next 3 years, I'd take AD.

if you're assuming the off the field stuff didn't matter, Murray would cost less.

But it does matter. Which will bring his asking price down some (how much, who knows?)

If you can get Murray and AD for the same price over the next 3 years, I'd take AD.
3 years may be stretching it.

I still laugh at the irony of how Adrian thinks he was abused by the league. Here's a newsflash "the punishment doesn't always fit the crime." Like for instance when you beat a kid so badly for not taking turns that he gets lacerations...for instance.

Let's talk about what is happening in terms of football for ADP, not our opinions about what his crime is and the proper punishment. There's another thread for that.

Let's talk about what is happening in terms of football for ADP, not our opinions about what his crime is and the proper punishment. There's another thread for that.
Well, for football purposes, the guys a PR nightmare. And the fact he's being so bull headed could well mean he re-offends.

He may be making a big mistake. It seems the organization holds all the cards and could make life very miserable for Adrian.

If Fred Jackson can play well until 32 then I have little doubt Peterson can.

Sigmund Bloom @SigmundBloom · 21h 21 hours ago

I believe there is no precedent for an RB of Adrian Peterson's caliber taking a year off at peak. What could this do for his longevity?

I don't consider a year off to have any positive benefit for the length of Peterson's career. If anything I think it is a detriment. I feel the same way about Dorial Green-Beckham not playing his last season in college.

Adrian is a special player who trains extremely hard and he is already an established player in the NFL. So it isn't as big of a deal for him to miss time as it is for DGB. Still that is a lot of coaching and practice time missed. Which hurts timing and chemistry that only gets developed by practicing and playing.

Sigmund Bloom @SigmundBloom · 21h 21 hours ago I believe there is no precedent for an RB of Adrian Peterson's caliber taking a year off at peak. What could this do for his longevity?
He didn't take off a year, he took off 15 games. He prepared the entire offseason and the first game. I find it hard to believe that not playing those games hurts his longevity.

Payton missed half of his age 28 season to a strike and played five more seasons.

Marcus Allen missed most of his age 31 season to a knee injury and played for six more seasons.

He may be making a big mistake. It seems the organization holds all the cards and could make life very miserable for Adrian.
How so, out of curiosity? Isn't the worst thing they can do not play him but continue to pay him that huge salary? Trading him would require the new team to take on that contract, correct? The worst they can do is cut him, at which point it's just a bidding war, right?

I don't see it that way. ADP is owed a ton of money. All he has to do is report to camp and do what he's told. The team has to deal with the PR nightmare and sign the checks. They are probably shopping him right now in the hopes of getting a 3rd rounder. Otherwise, they probably cut him.

Thank you. Sick and tired of the moral police riding around in this thread.

kind of weird everybody getting upset about the Vikings doing what they think they need to do and ADP doing what he thinks he needs to do........

when the shoe has been on the other foot and we see owenership/management doing things wrong/making bad decisions/statements, etc.....you don't see many players "standing by their boss"......most of them actually bail or say they don't want to be part of the organization.....yet when a player screws up, the organization is supposed to stand by them.....hmmmmm....

I couldn't really care either way.....and quite honestly "standing idly by and doing nothing" is usually the best play until everything gets figured out or until major factors (ie: sponsors) force your hand.....businesses gotta do what they gotta do.....ADP is replaceable, your reputation and sponsorships are a little more difficult to replace/rebuild...

TheFanatic said:
Shutout said:
I don't see it that way. ADP is owed a ton of money. All he has to do is report to camp and do what he's told. The team has to deal with the PR nightmare and sign the checks. They are probably shopping him right now in the hopes of getting a 3rd rounder. Otherwise, they probably cut him.
I think to a degree you are both right.

The team does hold all the cards right now. I don't think he has anything in his contract that guarantees him any money until the season starts. So if the Vikings really wanted to they could hold his rights right up till the season starts and cut him. If really won't be a major distraction until camp starts so if they could also hold his rights all the way until camp and cut him. Either way this would severely limit his options. I don't think they will pull a move like this but they can if they want to so right now I feel like the Vikes hold the cards.

AP can report and do what's he told but he's obviously trying to force his way out due to what he perceives, and to which I agree, has been a lack of support from the team. Obviously a lot you feel like he should get on his knees and beg forgiveness. It should also be obvious at this point that's not the way he sees it. I've got to think understands no one is going to pay him the amount of money next season the Vikings are slated to pay him. I don't think that matters to him right now, I think he's willing to take a nice sized pay cut to get out of Minnesota, but he won't take a dime less to stay. In that respect he holds some leverage especially since his willingness to restructure his contract might be necessary for Minny to get trade compensation back versus cutting him.

What we don't know right now is if the Vikings truly want him back or want him back at this contractual price. For all we know they've already approached him about a paycut and that helped contribute to his change in attitude about returning.

Way I see it the teams hold the leverage now but both parties would actually benefit by working with one another if they really want to move away from one another. The Vikings by honoring any request for a trade and AP by agreeing to a contract restructure with a team trading for him-assuming he can do this before his suspension is over. This would also be a backdoor avenue AP could use to have more options to pick his new teams in case he has to wait until after April 15th when teams will have already committed resources in FA.

kind of weird everybody getting upset about the Vikings doing what they think they need to do and ADP doing what he thinks he needs to do........

when the shoe has been on the other foot and we see owenership/management doing things wrong/making bad decisions/statements, etc.....you don't see many players "standing by their boss"......most of them actually bail or say they don't want to be part of the organization.....yet when a player screws up, the organization is supposed to stand by them.....hmmmmm....

I couldn't really care either way.....and quite honestly "standing idly by and doing nothing" is usually the best play until everything gets figured out or until major factors (ie: sponsors) force your hand.....businesses gotta do what they gotta do.....ADP is replaceable, your reputation and sponsorships are a little more difficult to replace/rebuild...
I think its' kind of weird you make a post wondering why everyone is getting upset and saying you don't care either way while proceeding to make your entire post in support of the Vikings decision making

So if the Vikings really wanted to they could hold his rights right up till the season starts and cut him. If really won't be a major distraction until camp starts so if they could also hold his rights all the way until camp and cut him. Either way this would severely limit his options. I don't think they will pull a move like this but they can if they want to so right now I feel like the Vikes hold the cards.
They could do that but it would be a distraction during OTA's. The team isn't that far from being a contender and doesn't need to deal with all that just to be vindictive.

If the WR Dez Bryant video tape exists of him doing something that could land him a suspension then he won't be getting franchised or any long-term contract extension which would free up more than enough money for Dallas to resign RB DeMarco Murray.

Also the talk about the Cowboys possibly signing RB Adrian Peterson doesn't make a lot of sense to me especially if the reason the Boys are balking about doing an extension with Murray is hung up on the high price they would have to pay to the running back position because Adrian Peterson's 2015 salary is $15.4 million and from all accounts Murray left an offer of $6 million per year on the table so my speculation is he is seeking somewhere in the ball park of only $8 million per year which is still high for a RB but a heck of a lot less than Adrian Peterson is scheduled to be paid.

Oh and if Minnesota flat out cut Peterson the Cowboys would probably be facing an even higher cap hit because the speculation is that many teams would be vying for AdP pushing up his asking price higher than the $15.4 million he's scheduled to get in 2015.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/02/20/peterson-to-cowboys-dream-suddenly-viable/

...I’ve got the numbers:

Peterson’s current 2015 cap hit stands at $15.4 million. $12.75 million is base, $.25 million is workout bonus and $2.4 million is prorated bonus. The base and workout bonus would disappear if released, leaving just the $2.4 million in dead money. That would give the Vikings the net result of $13 million in savings if Peterson insists upon not re-doing a deal and expresses continued dislike of his surrounding and they released him.

That’s not the Vikings’ only option, of course. And Dallas won’t be the only suitor if they exercise that option.

Per usual suspects (Mort, Schefter, etc), Judge Doty vacates Harold Henderson's suspension of Peterson. Reinstated effective immediately.

Will be interesting to see the reasoning -- something narrow or broader rejection of the NFL's disciplinary process?

Well, we'll see what happens now. Hopefully Adrian and the Vikings patch things up and he stays. A lot of stories out there but who knows what is true. I think if he stays this year he will retire a Viking but who knows. All I know is the team is much better with him than without him!

Per usual suspects (Mort, Schefter, etc), Judge Doty vacates Harold Henderson's suspension of Peterson. Reinstated effective immediately.

Will be interesting to see the reasoning -- something narrow or broader rejection of the NFL's disciplinary process?
I think it was pretty straight forward. At the time of ADP's infraction there was no league policy on domestic violence. I believe the judge ruled that you can't retroactively suspend him.

question, since he was kept on that special list and paid will it be counted as a suspension or will the NFL now try to suspend him?

We called this, or many did, what an absolute bunch of crp that Goodell pulled, it was totally inappropriate and maybe even illegal what Goodell did.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/adrian-peterson-reinstated/story?id=29247428

Good for Peterson and the Union.

Goodell is out of control, has been for a long time now, and he is unfit to be Commissioner.
I love it. A complete slap in the face to Goodell and the NFL. One day closer to Goodell getting fired...

We called this, or many did, what an absolute bunch of crp that Goodell pulled, it was totally inappropriate and maybe even illegal what Goodell did.

Goodell is out of control, has been for a long time now, and he is unfit to be Commissioner.
I love it. A complete slap in the face to Goodell and the NFL. One day closer to Goodell getting fired...
he wont get fired, this is what the owners wanted him to do with peterson

Goodell still won. He kept AP out of football the entire year which appeared to be his main goal. This news of overturning and reinstating during the offseason is just a small blip on the news radar and will go unnoticed by most casual fans.

Anyway, that said, better late than never.

At least now Peterson and the Vikings and everyone involved can start thinking about their next move.

I think its' kind of weird you make a post wondering why everyone is getting upset and saying you don't care either way while proceeding to make your entire post in support of the Vikings decision making
incorrect....first sentence includes saying ADP needs to do what he needs to do......I have no problem with either side doing what they think they need to do and taking whatever stance they feel neccessary......my round about comments about the Vikings were just addressing those who commented that the Vikings should "stand by him".....and more just in general with regards to these things being a two way street.....very rarely do you see a player support an organization when something is going down......they usually error on the side of a) saying nothing or b) jumping ship....yet when an organization does either of those, they take grief for it......ADP is playing this the way he needs to and so are the Vikings......I don't have a problem with either......I do support the Vikings stance, but also ADP's stance....and yeah....mostly cause I don't care who ends up "winning" this "battle"...

I guess business is about to pick up on this issue.

Not that it matters at all at this point, but I really had no problem with Goodell's suspension because (and I may be remembering wrong), Peterson wasn't actually suspended at first with all that time he missed. Wasn't he on an exemption list but still getting paid? If that is correct, then really the only thing that happened in terms of ability to feed the family/right to work, is Peterson got a gift (no wear and tear, full pay). So to suspend him once it was all talked through, etc, would be the next step, I think. You couldn't say "well, we paid you for ten weeks until we sorted it out and let due process work itself out and now that its been decided you are, in fact, guilty, we are not going to hand down a sentence cause, well..it took so long and we feel bad about that. I know that's really pouring it on but the point being if they didn't suspend him after he lost not one dollar, I'm sure there would have been players crying foul that lost games and money. Just seems like they had to hand down something.

But that's not the part people are interested in now so let's see what happens next.

Actually it's a complete win for the NFL. They get to be tough on child abusers while getting one of their best talents back on the field.

So he's not reinstated?

If I'm understanding this correctly (unlikely) the previous ruling was deemed invalid because it was issued under new policy rules which were not yet in effect when AP's violation took place. So it needs to go back through the same process under the old policy rules. The ruling and suspension were not valid but he is still suspended.

One thing I'm curious about if anyone can answer. If the NFL loses the appeal on today's ruling, which basically states the NFL overstepped it's bounds in suspending him, will that entitle Peterson to collect his pay for the games he was suspended last season?

Actually it's a complete win for the NFL. They get to be tough on child abusers while getting one of their best talents back on the field.
I don't think there are any games on the schedule between now and April 15th.

ILUVBEER99 said:
question, why does the NFL care whether he's reinstated now or in April?
I truly believe the April designation was designed by both the NFL and the Vikings who I believe worked together on this entire process. Which is part of why I've been so bothered by this suspension. I'll never have proof of this but I think the Vikings worked with the NFL this entire time to keep Peterson off the field this season and give everyone time for the smoke to clear. As part of this working relationship between the NFL and Vikings they slapped the April designation on Peterson to limit his options this off-season. This was not done to be vindictive towards Peterson so much as it was to give the Vikings the upper hand when they would inevitably approach Peterson about taking a pay cut. By freezing Peterson out of the first month of free agency teams would have already made plans and severely limited Peterson's options, giving the Vikings the upper hand when they would later ask him to take a pay cut.

Is this a bit of a conspiracy theory on my part? Sure it is. But I believe it and what's more important is I think the Peterson camp believes it which is part of what has him so upset, because he knows they are going to come to him and ask for pay cut.

Other than that this "win" by Peterson causes some other complications for the NFL and the Vikings. I asked a question earlier if this entitled Peterson to collect his pay, a little over $4million, for the games he was suspended last year. I found out the answer and the answer is yes, he absolutely can. The NFL might be able to maintain at a minimum the old 2 game policy should be in effect so he may not get it all back but he stands a good chance of only losing out on 2 game checks.

Secondly it opens up the door for players like Greg Hardy to have his suspension thrown out or at least reduced to the old policy of 2 games. It also would mean any violation a player did before the new conduct policy would be maxed at 2 games for domestic violence. So as an example if a video of Dez actually existed and came out that showed him knocking that girl out in the Wal-Mart parking lot the max he could get is 2 games.

Lastly losing this case just makes the NFL look bad, especially Roger. I don't think it puts his job in jeopardy in anyway because he is simply carrying out the owners wishes but it's a bad look for the league when they keep making up the rules as the go along. This may not matter a whole lot right now but I think could work against the NFL when it's time for the new CBA.

Users who are viewing this thread