What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bargain Bin Dynasty Adds: 2015 Offseason (1 Viewer)

JFS171

Footballguy
Back and Better Than Ever!

Thought about bumping last year's thread, which you can find here if you so desire, but ultimately decided to start a new thread for the 2015 offseason. This is to call out guys that may be floating on wires due to lack of opportunity, injury, a drop-off in opportunity, blocked situation, etc. You can also call out guys that are staring a bigger opportunity in the face for 2015, but please keep in mind the idea is to ID guys found on most waiver wires at the moment, not buy lows necessarily.

As with all darts/fliers, there were a whole bunch of misses in last year's thread (including almost all of my offseason stashes - Hello, Dion Lewis!), but there were a fair share of hits too:

• CJ Anderson - for anyone that held on through the coaching machinations... rewarded quite handsomely for an offseason stash
  • Charles Johnson - again, growing pains and may have been dropped, but flashing again now
  • Stedman Bailey - would've picked up more steam had the suspension not been levied in the offseason, but again flashing
  • Denard Robinson - looks like a potential feature back
  • Latavius Murray - insert "what's wrong with the Oakland Raiders talent evaluators" comments here
  • Ahmad Bradshaw - floated on a lot of wires due to ending the season on IR and some believing he was done
  • Travis Kelce - also mentioned quite a few times; injured entire rookie season which allowed some to pluck him off the wire..
As the season comes to a close for many, or as the playoffs end for you in the next few weeks, who are you planning to stash at the back end of your roster?

Please do not devolve this thread into commentary about how folks need to play in a deeper league if Player X is on their wire -- that's not the point.

Man, there is almost no one on the WW now that I like a lot. Currently rostered WW-type guys I'm holding for now:

QB - Garoppolo (drafted)

RB - Polk

WR - Janis (drafted), Corey Washington, Quinton Patton

Slim pickens.

But looking back at last year, not bad!

Dropped Anderson and Johnson in a few leagues, but was back on them when the music stopped and have both in almost all of my leagues. And I got to Bailey in about half as well.

Michael Campanaro - had a couple of decent games before injury

Josh Huff - could get a bigger role in PHI next year

Ryan Grant might prove interesting if he can manage some opportunity in a crowded WR group in DC. Not sure about the contract status of the three ahead of him though.

Duron Carter
I like his skills but I steer clear of prior head cases. If you are looking for a WR perhaps Jaron Brown WR ARI. Looking at the contract situation and decline for Larry Fitzgerald I don't think he is back next year, even if he is the clock is ticking. I originally thought that John Brown may be Larry's replacement but with Fitz hurt Jaron Brown is clearly his back up and taken Fitzgeralds role. His plays per game has been climbing the last few weeks and I think he might be the replacement next year.

Anyways this is the bargain bin so worth a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh Harris could still be out there, and could be an important handcuff if Le'Veon goes down with an injury. He also could be replaced in the 2015 draft so it's a crapshoot.

Janis as already been mentioned but if GB lets Cobb walk and they don't draft another WR he could be looking at an increased role.

Corey Washington - the fans know this kid has the talent but beat reporters have tried to quell the chatter about him. they point out his small school background as a hurdle to development. he needs at least the offseason. according to them, the FO likes him and feel he adds something to the offense.

Aaron Dobson - fell out of favor really before this season began and never recovered. i'm guessing he's done in NE but has the skills to shine elsewhere.

Housler - receiving TE in an offense that doesn't really use one. he's in the last year of his rookie contract. he could land somewhere and likely start given his experience.

Seastrunk - he's on the practice squad in TN but look at who he has ahead of him. he might be a jerk/cancer/headcase but the talent is undeniable. with an offseason there, he *could* humble and outperform Sankey easily. lottery tickets don't come much cheaper than this.

Due to his season-ending injury Steven Ridley is probably on a lot of waiver wires...he's a free agent and could potentially end up in a better fantasy situation than he has been in...

Corey Washington - the fans know this kid has the talent but beat reporters have tried to quell the chatter about him. they point out his small school background as a hurdle to development. he needs at least the offseason. according to them, the FO likes him and feel he adds something to the offense.

Aaron Dobson - fell out of favor really before this season began and never recovered. i'm guessing he's done in NE but has the skills to shine elsewhere.

Housler - receiving TE in an offense that doesn't really use one. he's in the last year of his rookie contract. he could land somewhere and likely start given his experience.

Seastrunk - he's on the practice squad in TN but look at who he has ahead of him. he might be a jerk/cancer/headcase but the talent is undeniable. with an offseason there, he *could* humble and outperform Sankey easily. lottery tickets don't come much cheaper than this.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Giants go after Housler. Donnell isn't special.

Also agree about Washington. Really surprised he hasn't been given a shot yet with Cruz down and Randle underperforming. Preston Parker has filled in fine as a 3rd WR and has done everything they've asked of him and that's probably why. That being said, Preston Parker isn't the long term solution.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Giants go after Housler. Donnell isn't special.
problem with speculation about the Giants beyond ODB? coughlin and his staff are likely gone.

problem with speculation about the Giants beyond ODB? coughlin and his staff are likely gone.
I don't think Coughlin will be gone next year. I'd like him to be since they need to rebuild anyways and keeping Coughlin around for another couple years will just delay that process. The Giants are bad this year and in general the past few years, but it's not all coaching. They seem to get devastated with injuries every single year.

Allen Robinson

Many may have forgotten about him and/or dropped him, but he was very productive and had very good chemistry with Bortles before he got hurt. And it doesn't appear to be a lingering, debilitating foot injury.

I doubt Shorts will be back and Hurns seems like a hit or miss big play guy. The wildcard is Lee and how much he develops, but right bow the opportunity is there for Robinson to resume his role with a full offseason.

Been holding Garappolo all year. Other potential cheap adds mentioned before are Ryan Grant, Antonio Andrews, and George Atkinson 3.

Allen Robinson

Many may have forgotten about him and/or dropped him, but he was very productive and had very good chemistry with Bortles before he got hurt. And it doesn't appear to be a lingering, debilitating foot injury.

I doubt Shorts will be back and Hurns seems like a hit or miss big play guy. The wildcard is Lee and how much he develops, but right bow the opportunity is there for Robinson to resume his role with a full offseason.
i think hurns was only really valuable until Robinson got healthy and up to speed. his production nosedived after AR took to the scene,

Hurns and Bailey on my wire. I'm torn. Really want them both. Probably only get one. Bailey is my priority add, but I'm waffling.

QB: L.Thomas Ari. Good stash guy.

RB: B.Cunningham Rams. Showed he can be a RB in this league, may need injury or another team to get the chance.

RB; Turbin Sea. Lynch talks for retiring and all the love for Michaels, Turbin being overlooked?

WR: D.Carter FA Wouldn't pay much for him, but a bottom of roster, free pickup with his skills is worth an off season stash.

WR: C.Johnson Min May be too late to get him for super cheap, but still could be had and starting to flash a little of his talent.

TE: Rivera Oak. May not be cheap, but could get even better next season.

Not much out there IMO. I've grabbed Troy Niklas off waivers in a few leagues. I didn't like him as a draft prospect, but he was a 2nd round pick and could have some value in future seasons. Other than that, it might be worthwhile to see if Justin Blackmon is on waivers or available for a LATE pick.

I grabbed Denarius Moore when he was cut in my league. He has fallen out of favor in Oakland but is a free agent in 2015.

He seems like the kind of guy who could work himself into a career.

Anyone mention Marion Grice? Might get a start this week. He could shock the world and just grab that job outright. Ellington isn't suited for it.

Benny Cunningham, to me ... Reminds me a lot of CJ Anderson. Skill-set, overlooked, was once considered the top RB on the team to only be dropped down to a backup.

Tre Mason looks really good though. Still Injuries happen, and Zac Stacy has proven to be anything but dynamic.

IMO Cunningham is a nice player to target cheap, and stash as a backup with big upside. Yes Tre looks great, but he also runs very violent - which could lead to injury.

I'll also add :

Cody latimer - welder is done, and i think JT walks. During my rookie draft I was torn between latimer and Moncrief. Ultimately I chose who I think was the better WR regardless of situation (latimer). His time is coming.

Zach Ertz - stud pass catching TE .. Needs to become a better blocker for chip to play him

Cordarrelle Patterson - kids gonna bust out eventually. No injury concerns, big playmaker. Needs to hit the film room

Kadeem Carey - college stud. Drafted by an organization that has done well selecting RB's. Guy has all the tools, great pass catcher, steady runner. Needs time. Needs more NFL training. But I still think he is going to be a very nice system RB if he gets the opportunity.

Rod Streater - nothing sexy about this pick. But he's a hard worker, and could be a PPR Dynamo if there is any improvement in the Raiders offense

I have more, but I got drunk and can't remember... I'll be back for more tomorrow lol.

All my stashes across leagues:

QB - Tom Savage, Logan Thomas, EJ Manuel

WR - Shaq Evans, Jeff Janis, Justin Blackmon (does he count?), Philly Brown, Charles Johnson, Marquess Wilson

RB - Robert Turbin, Christine Michael, Lorenzo Taliaferro, Storm Johnson, Theo Riddick, Bryce Brown, Charles Sims

TE - Gavin Escobar, Ladarius Green

That's just the ones I own, but there's plenty more out there that could be good stashes.

I grabbed Blackmon just for the chance he gets reinstated and traded somewhere like Indy. Might be worth a stash if you have the room. I think he's a long shot to ever be relevant again though so I would def be looking to trade him on that news.

heres a few:

Jared Abbrederis, Jeff Janis, Richard Rodgers, CJ Fiedorowicz, Ryan Grant, Da'Rick Rogers (although i'm wondering if he even gets another chance), Michael Campanaro,

injured players/suspension: Rod Streater, Kendall Hunter, Vick Ballard, Fred Davis (probably reaching with that one), Colt Lyerla (I think he got arrested again in September so this is a reach too)

Meant to get this posted yesterday after starting the topic, but got busy with other stuff... Here's the list of guys I'm keeping a close eye on, if not already stashing.

QBs:

Ryan Mallett – Could’ve been added and subsequently dropped after getting his shot in Houston, then getting hurt. I’ve always thought he just might have the talent to be a pretty useful fantasy QB, and his first start showed that. He was hurt in warm-ups for his second game, in which he looked pretty bad. I’m willing to give him a pass for that and see what happens this offseason.

Brock Osweiler – Believe it was EBF that said he was very inconsistent when he played at ASU, yet he was still drafted in the 2nd round by a team that’s done a fairly good job in the draft. The following year, there was talk he’d have been in play first the first QB taken, had he stayed in school another season. Not much better place for development than learning behind the GOAT for 2 years, and while Manning likely plays 2015 (I think he will) at his age, you just never know. Maybe they win it all, and The Sherriff decides to ride off into the sunset. Osweiler may not be Aaron Rodgers, but the weapons will be elite, and he may be pretty good himself.

RBs:

Theo Riddick – Mentioned by others, but I’ll add my 2 cents here as I’ve had Riddick stashed most of this season. I think he’s shown quite well as the passing game back when Bush has missed time. I’ll also add that Bush gets expensive after this year, with his cap hit rising to $5.3MM with $2MM in dead money, meaning (if I’m not mistaken) the Lions can save $3.3MM by letting him go and giving that role to Riddick. They could even designate him a June 1 cut and spread that $2MM over 2015 and 2016 if they want, thereby saving over $4MM against the 2015 cap. It’s a realistic outcome IMO, and Riddick would be the clear beneficiary as the lighting to Bell’s thunder.

Joseph Randle – Likely owned by the Murray owner, but if not, pounce. Murray has stayed healthy, but he’s also been run into the ground this year and is a FA next year. I would expect the Cowboys to do everything they can to keep him, but they don’t exactly have the cleanest cap situation. Randle’s looked strong this year with his opportunities (a lot of that due to the OL no doubt), and conceivably could be in position to take over in the event of a Murray injury or Murray not coming back due to contract issues.

Lorenzo Taliaferro – May have been dropped with his lack of carries the past few weeks, but remember Taliaferro came from a small school and may take longer to transition to the league. He’s big with a good short-yardage skill set, but he also has some receiving ability which makes for a pretty nice package in fantasy. Forsett isn’t the long term answer, and Pierce doesn’t appear to be that good. Taliaferro may start getting more chances as the Ravens’ red zone back after their struggles scoring TDs the past few weeks. Regardless, holding here may pay off big time in 2015 – he’s a good fit for that offense.

Glenn Winston – May need to move quickly here with Crowell banged up and West in the doghouse. Winston has been rumored to get carries this week potentially, and has been rumored for a while to have quite a bit of talent. His off-field red flags were serious, so it’s no surprise there’s no draft pedigree here. From my understanding, including google and twitter searches to find anything, he’s built like a brick ####house and the Browns are high on him (claiming him off waivers immediately after the 49ers released him at final cuts). There’s even some posts on twitter suggesting Browns FO personnel have hinted things like, “If you like what you’re seeing from Crowell and West, just wait till Winston gets the ball.” Who knows if that’s true, but in that running game… I’d like to find out.

Antonio Andrews – Utterly bombed the combine (4.8 40, sub 30” Vert, sub 9’ Broad), but prior to that some in the draft community thought he had some talent. Ended up with Tennessee as a UDFA and made the practice squad, and was then added to the active roster to prevent Buffalo from stealing him (which tells me at least 2 teams see talent there). I have no idea why Tennessee continues to play Shonn Greene outside of possibly trying to save face for an atrocious contract to a dude that’s just not good, but you have to think they give Andrews a shot at the big back role pretty soon… and it’s not like Sankey is really blocking the way to feature back duties.

Zurlon Tipton – Deep league special here, but at Central Michigan he played quite well as a junior, rushing for over 1500 yards and 20 TDs before breaking his ankle in his first game in 2013. Made the Colts as an UDFA (subsequently sent to practice squad after a roster crunch)and is a big kid at nearly 6’ and 225 lbs. While he lacks long speed (4.7 flat 40 at his pro day), he’s a pretty good athlete with a 32” Vert, 9’11” Broad, and a 3-cone of 6.89. The Colts are souring on Trent (he’s just not getting it done), and right now Tipton stands one spot away from a big piece of a big-time running game. If Trent or Herron went down, we could see some action. As for 2015 and beyond, who knows?

Lache SeastrunkI wish I knew how to quit you. Head on over to the Lache thread if you wanna partake in the fun, but suffice to say he has talent, he has athletic ability, and he’s apparently got attitude problems/inability to learn the playbook/locker room cancer issues/who knows what? Big Tex (I think) posted that Lache tends to be very vocal when he feels he’s better than the guys ahead of him, yet he’s not getting to play. If true, that’s probably not very good for his chances to stick around an NFL locker room at the bottom of the totem pole given the focus in the NFL on maintaining camaraderie in a locker room. Still, after Carolina released him, he’s been with Tennessee for most of the season now, and it’s all quiet on that front. If he can get through a full offseason with a chance to really show his stuff (and climb the depth chart, and learn pass blocking, and keep his mouth shut), the payoff could be huge here. There’s not a whole lot ahead of him in Tennessee. One of the most compelling stashes at RB IMO – I believe he’s special with the ball in his hands.

Vick Ballard – IR special here… for those of us in leagues with an IR spot or two, you could do worse than Ballard if it’s currently open. Ballard is rehabbing back-to-back season-ending injuries, but we’ve seen guys return from ACL tears many times, and the Achilles tear he suffered this summer is no longer the death knell it used to be (Kendall Hunter’s returned from one as a RB, Crabtree, Demaryius at WR). I’m not suggesting Ballard is any great talent – he’s not. But the Colts don’t need Jim Brown running the ball either. Ballard managed 3.9 YPC in 2012 before 4.8 in his one game in 2013 prior to the ACL tear. Some guy named Luck has made this offense pretty dangerous through the air… the Colts need someone to get the 4+ yards that are there on most plays. Ballard could probably do that. He’s a long-shot, but with Trent’s star falling, remember Ballard was ahead of Bradshaw and Herron before his injury this summer, and he’ll have had 14 months to recover before the 2015 season starts.

Tyler Gaffney – Another IR special. Carolina drafted this guy in the 6th round… a wasted pick according to most fans, given the RB roster situation for the Panthers. Gaffney had a strong combine with a 4.49 40, 36.5” Vert, 116” Broad, 6.78 3-cone (second among RBs), and an 11.36 long shuttle (best among RBs). Gaffney proceeded to tear his left lateral miniscus in his first offseason practice with Carolina, and was sent through waivers with the intention of putting him on IR, only the Pats stepped in and claimed him. He’s a forgotten man in New England, but he may be healthy at this point, and at the very least should be healthy heading into offseason activities. He’s had a full season to be around the team and learn the intricacies of the NE offense. Ridley and Vereen are FAs. He’s a bit straight-lineish, but despite the underwhelming tape was a workhorse in Stanford’s pro-style offense and put up strong numbers. He’s also very solid in pass protection.

WRs:

Charles Johnson / Stedman Bailey – both are likely owned, but both guys have flashed strong talent in the last few weeks. I like Bailey a bit more, but Johnson has the workout metrics and both are showing well with a clear path to future opportunity. Not much more to say here.

Corey Washington – Mentioned by others, but a small school kid who flashed big time in training camp and just hasn’t had much of a shot yet. Cruz is coming back from a really tough injury, and quite honestly may never be the same. OBJ is a stud, but Reuben Randle has underwhelmed. Washington may get the Jerrell Jernigan treatment down the stretch to see what he can bring to the table, and he could surprise. Solid roster stash.

Aaron Dobson – IR Special here… Dobson had a strong rookie year for the Pats, at times looking like Brady’s clear #1 WR before a foot injury sidelined him late in the year. In March he had surgery to repair the foot and missed all of OTAs, struggling to get back in the fold. By all accounts, he was working really hard to regain his position atop the depth chart, but the Pats didn’t have a real need for him… so they waited and continued developing him, letting him rehab and get his foot 100%. He came back this past week against the Packers and proceeded to pull a hamstring, and has just now been placed on IR. It’s been a lost season for sure, but consider that he posted 35 receptions for 492 yards and 4 TDs in 9 games as a rookie before his foot injury…

Jaron Brown – Another poster mentioned him, and I think he’s positioned himself to possibly get a shot if Fitzgerald is released. I think that’s a tough move for Arizona to contemplate with the face of the franchise, but his cap number is huge and his talent has faded. Brown could be the guy to step into that spot, though John Brown would likely be more valuable. Jaron feels more like a move-the-chains type while John is the HR hitter.

Nick Toon – Seems like we’ve been saying this one for a while now, but Toon could be the heir to Colston’s role in that offense, which Colston may or may not be the same guy again next year. Cooks and Graham and Stills may dominate targets now, but it would seem there’s room for a possession-type WR on the outside post Colston. Toon’s probably the best fit on the roster to fill that role.

Jeff Janis – Workout freak from a small school… perfect spot for him in GB. If Cobb isn’t brought back, we could see Janis’ role grow big time in 2015.

Rod Streeter – Lots of mouths to feed in the Oakland WR corps right now, but Streeter was on the rise until this year. I still think there could be something there. Last year he had 60 catches for 888 yards and was on the radar as a third year breakout guy before breaking his foot. Could get back on the field here in the next few weeks and flash with a competent QB for the first time in his career.

Brice Butler – Love the talent with Butler, but he seems to be buried on the depth chart. Wouldn’t be the first time Oakland buried talent for inexplicable reasons, but… he’s a long shot.

Marquess Wilson – Set to inherit Marshall’s role as his career starts to reach its twilight. Big, fast, solid hands… Trestman getting canned this offseason would work against him, though.

Josh Huff – If Maclin moves on as a FA, Huff could be in a great spot. Has a solid draft pedigree from the 3rd round out of Kelly’s former school.

Cordarelle Patterson – I’d buy for pennies on the dollar… still a dynamo with the ball in his hands, and the route running / transition to the NFL was always going to be a project.

Probably forgetting others, but this covers most of the guys on my mind…

Meant to get this posted yesterday after starting the topic, but got busy with other stuff... Here's the list of guys I'm keeping a close eye on, if not already stashing.

QBs:

Ryan Mallett Couldve been added and subsequently dropped after getting his shot in Houston, then getting hurt. Ive always thought he just might have the talent to be a pretty useful fantasy QB, and his first start showed that. He was hurt in warm-ups for his second game, in which he looked pretty bad. Im willing to give him a pass for that and see what happens this offseason.

Brock Osweiler Believe it was EBF that said he was very inconsistent when he played at ASU, yet he was still drafted in the 2nd round by a team thats done a fairly good job in the draft. The following year, there was talk hed have been in play first the first QB taken, had he stayed in school another season. Not much better place for development than learning behind the GOAT for 2 years, and while Manning likely plays 2015 (I think he will) at his age, you just never know. Maybe they win it all, and The Sherriff decides to ride off into the sunset. Osweiler may not be Aaron Rodgers, but the weapons will be elite, and he may be pretty good himself.

RBs:

Theo Riddick Mentioned by others, but Ill add my 2 cents here as Ive had Riddick stashed most of this season. I think hes shown quite well as the passing game back when Bush has missed time. Ill also add that Bush gets expensive after this year, with his cap hit rising to $5.3MM with $2MM in dead money, meaning (if Im not mistaken) the Lions can save $3.3MM by letting him go and giving that role to Riddick. They could even designate him a June 1 cut and spread that $2MM over 2015 and 2016 if they want, thereby saving over $4MM against the 2015 cap. Its a realistic outcome IMO, and Riddick would be the clear beneficiary as the lighting to Bells thunder.

Joseph Randle Likely owned by the Murray owner, but if not, pounce. Murray has stayed healthy, but hes also been run into the ground this year and is a FA next year. I would expect the Cowboys to do everything they can to keep him, but they dont exactly have the cleanest cap situation. Randles looked strong this year with his opportunities (a lot of that due to the OL no doubt), and conceivably could be in position to take over in the event of a Murray injury or Murray not coming back due to contract issues.

Lorenzo Taliaferro May have been dropped with his lack of carries the past few weeks, but remember Taliaferro came from a small school and may take longer to transition to the league. Hes big with a good short-yardage skill set, but he also has some receiving ability which makes for a pretty nice package in fantasy. Forsett isnt the long term answer, and Pierce doesnt appear to be that good. Taliaferro may start getting more chances as the Ravens red zone back after their struggles scoring TDs the past few weeks. Regardless, holding here may pay off big time in 2015 hes a good fit for that offense.

Glenn Winston May need to move quickly here with Crowell banged up and West in the doghouse. Winston has been rumored to get carries this week potentially, and has been rumored for a while to have quite a bit of talent. His off-field red flags were serious, so its no surprise theres no draft pedigree here. From my understanding, including google and twitter searches to find anything, hes built like a brick ####house and the Browns are high on him (claiming him off waivers immediately after the 49ers released him at final cuts). Theres even some posts on twitter suggesting Browns FO personnel have hinted things like, If you like what youre seeing from Crowell and West, just wait till Winston gets the ball. Who knows if thats true, but in that running game Id like to find out.

Antonio Andrews Utterly bombed the combine (4.8 40, sub 30 Vert, sub 9 Broad), but prior to that some in the draft community thought he had some talent. Ended up with Tennessee as a UDFA and made the practice squad, and was then added to the active roster to prevent Buffalo from stealing him (which tells me at least 2 teams see talent there). I have no idea why Tennessee continues to play Shonn Greene outside of possibly trying to save face for an atrocious contract to a dude thats just not good, but you have to think they give Andrews a shot at the big back role pretty soon and its not like Sankey is really blocking the way to feature back duties.

Zurlon Tipton Deep league special here, but at Central Michigan he played quite well as a junior, rushing for over 1500 yards and 20 TDs before breaking his ankle in his first game in 2013. Made the Colts as an UDFA (subsequently sent to practice squad after a roster crunch)and is a big kid at nearly 6 and 225 lbs. While he lacks long speed (4.7 flat 40 at his pro day), hes a pretty good athlete with a 32 Vert, 911 Broad, and a 3-cone of 6.89. The Colts are souring on Trent (hes just not getting it done), and right now Tipton stands one spot away from a big piece of a big-time running game. If Trent or Herron went down, we could see some action. As for 2015 and beyond, who knows?

Lache Seastrunk

Nice post. Who do you like the most out of all the WR posted?

i firmly expect Dobson to get cut in the offseason. they have edelman and lafell has been a surprise. that offense isn't missing him at all. the fans aren't clamoring for him - nickname of Drop-son tossed around - to return.

Users who are viewing this thread