What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Nick Chubb, CLE (1 Viewer)

matuski said:
He caught 20 balls last year.. was that just Duke or does Chubb not excel here?
What was mentioned earlier - only half a season, but I think the biggest issue with his lack of receptions was game script. The offense was too efficient vs. Atlanta (53 snaps) and got out to a big lead, so the passing game shut it down in the second half. Both Bengals games were blowouts and the passing game again shut it down in the second half. The Texans game was a blowout loss and the offense only mustered 57 snaps. The Carolina game was close, but again - the offense was too efficient, only 52 snaps. 

So I wouldn't read too much into his actual output in the passing game last year. The skills are there for quite a bit more.

Browns running backs coach Stump Mitchell said Nick Chubb will "be used a little more in the passing game" this season.

"I think [Chubb's] going to be special like he was last year,’’ Mitchell said. "He’ll be used a little more in the passing game than he was last year. Nick just continues to improve on the skillset that he has, and I think he has a fantastic skillset.’’ Chubb averaged an increased 2.9 targets on 12.7 routes per game once coach Freddie Kitchens ceded Hue Jackson last season, and Duke Johnson's recent departure likely ensures those marks swell. Although Kareem Hunt could siphon third-down duties upon returning from his eight-game suspension to start the year, Chubb remains a potential positional week-winner and first-round option during the first half of the season.

SOURCE: Cleveland.com

Aug 21, 2019, 11:20 PM ET

Miraculously, every running back in the NFL who has poor receiving skills is going to be used more in the passing game this coming season.
That has been the theme of virtually every preseason update I’ve noticed. 

I honestly don’t know if Chubb has poor receiving skills or not though. 

Heard the same for Aaron Jones & Carson as well. 

I’m all-in on any/all 3 of these guys at the right price. Chubb is the toughest for me. Hunt comes back week 10, which could be a value hit right before the fantasy playoffs. And you’d potentially be passing up guys like Beckham, Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans if you’re drafting near the 1-2 turn. 

Tough call. Love his upside though. 

So your proof that he has poor receiving skills is? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fB8t7ZKlL-k
He came into the league with receiving as a question mark.  He only had 20 receptions last year.  PFF gave him a receiving grade of 54.3.  But I'll admit I'm basing my opinion on little other than other people's opinions.  But a youtube video of one amazing catch isn't enough to change my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think hunt is good but imo Reid's offense really was the reason he blew up.  I don't think he out talents Chubb as a running back.  I just think kc's offense is on another level which is why I am trying to buy into it however I can and no matter the reaching.   
KC has long been tailor made for guys like hunt and hill...

Why on earth would CLE mix in a twig when they have the perfect ground n pound goblin back there? Chubb is custom made for this offense.

Hunt will have a role, no doubt. The former Duke role. Chubb will be the chubb of last season's 2nd half (barring injury, of course)

KC has long been tailor made for guys like hunt and hill...

Why on earth would CLE mix in a twig when they have the perfect ground n pound goblin back there? Chubb is custom made for this offense.

Hunt will have a role, no doubt. The former Duke role. Chubb will be the chubb of last season's 2nd half (barring injury, of course)
So you are saying that Hunt offers nothing in the 3 down category over Duke Johnson?  

That isn't plausible.

Just went 1.05 in a non-PPR redraft tonight.  That seems...aggressive, but I am a huge fan so maybe it’ll work out
Went 1.08 in our decades old full PPR, which did not surprise me based on Mocks the last week or two. Heck it wasn’t even the most surprising first round pick.

1.01 chalk

1.02 chalk

1.03 chalk 

1.04 Bell mildly interesting but he is a Sparty

1.05 Elliott

1.06 Conner oh OK  :unsure:  right Stillers fan

1.07 Hopkins

1.08 Chubb 

I have the tenth pick and I’m getting Adams or DJ?? This was....unexpected. I need more  :coffee:

1.09 Cook what. just. happened.

Haven’t even made a pick and I’m already planning what I’m getting myself for Christmas.     :pickle:

Back on topic...I’m as excited as the next non-Browns fan is to see what this offense can do. Ain’t nobody stacking the box with the weapons they have. But is Chubb the cornerstone of a fantasy championship after week 9? I don’t get the late summer helium, especially with that O-line.

took DJ and got OBJ at 15. #CHAMPIONSHIP

Nick Chubb went 2.02 in my 12 team lock redraft PPR tonight. Was hoping he’d fall back to me at 2.05   :(  

Last edited by a moderator:
Went 1.08 in our decades old full PPR, which did not surprise me based on Mocks the last week or two. Heck it wasn’t even the most surprising first round pick.

1.01 chalk

1.02 chalk

1.03 chalk 

1.04 Bell mildly interesting but he is a Sparty

1.05 Elliott

1.06 Conner oh OK  :unsure:  right Stillers fan

1.07 Hopkins

1.08 Chubb 

I have the tenth pick and I’m getting Adams or DJ?? This was....unexpected. I need more  :coffee:

1.09 Cook what. just. happened.

Haven’t even made a pick and I’m already planning what I’m getting myself for Christmas.     :pickle:

Back on topic...I’m as excited as the next non-Browns fan is to see what this offense can do. Ain’t nobody stacking the box with the weapons they have. But is Chubb the cornerstone of a fantasy championship after week 9? I don’t get the late summer helium, especially with that O-line.

took DJ and got OBJ at 15. #CHAMPIONSHIP
I just landed Adams at 1.08 today myself. 

1-2-3-Conner/Hopkins/Elliott/Julio - me = Adams.  :pickle:

have we reached a point of maximum velocity of the Browns' supposed ascension to the greatest NFL teams in the history of great NFL teams or what? I own Chubb in a dynasty league and I'm beginning to get a little :rollseyes: at the suggestions that the Browns' have 'arrived'. Am I the only one who feels that the Brownies are just a lil' too overhyped here? Thats what has me completely worried as a Chubb fan , Chubb owner. 

As a guy drafting 10th I love the Chubb helium. People picking him 6th are making the turn easier for me.

(full PPR)
If I can't get a proven PPR stud like barkley, kamara and mccaffrey I'm passing on RBs in the first round. In standard he's fine at #6, but in PPR I find quality wideouts are much harder to get in the middle rounds than a solid RB2-by-committee.  Maybe other owners don't mind to play matchups at WR2/3, I just prefer to rotate the more predictable RBs. 

have we reached a point of maximum velocity of the Browns' supposed ascension to the greatest NFL teams in the history of great NFL teams or what? I own Chubb in a dynasty league and I'm beginning to get a little :rollseyes: at the suggestions that the Browns' have 'arrived'. Am I the only one who feels that the Brownies are just a lil' too overhyped here? Thats what has me completely worried as a Chubb fan , Chubb owner. 
The offense certainly looks very impressive on paper. The defense may not be elite, but should be good enough. Judging purely from a personell perspective, the Browns are a Super Bowl contender in my eyes (though they probably lack the experience to win it all this year). Biggest question mark is coaching, we'll just have to wait and see if Kitchens is the right guy. 

they aren't winning the SB< that's just media narrative/hype.

they'll be a very good offense. which is all that matters

Definitely not the only one. I don't feel like there's been many tapping the brakes on the notion that all these changes and assumed "steps forward" are just going to gel perfectly on the field. They may but it's far from a certainty.

What are Nick Chubb owners paying/willing to pay for Kareem Hunt in Dynasty leagues?
I actually traded away Hunt for Ingram/Barber about 6weeks ago (when bar fight news broke).  I needed RB2 upgrade over L Murray.  He has been traded 4x in last 2months and I tried to "re-acquire" him for C Samuels without success.  They wanted LAC Mike Williams for Hunt and I thought too pricey so I am doing without.  

I own Chubb in 3 places.  Haven't even considered going after Hunt.  
I think it's at least worth reaching out and considering the cost associated with picking up Hunt.

If the cost is low enough why wouldn't you want possibly the premier handcuff in the league.

I think it's at least worth reaching out and considering the cost associated with picking up Hunt.

If the cost is low enough why wouldn't you want possibly the premier handcuff in the league.
i think because you would be paying a super premiere price for a backup (who has legal problems) in a situation you don't know how it's going to play out

If chubb is averaging 6 ypc when hunt is eligible to play hunt doesn't see the field much

i think because you would be paying a super premiere price for a backup (who has legal problems) in a situation you don't know how it's going to play out

If chubb is averaging 6 ypc when hunt is eligible to play hunt doesn't see the field much
EXACTLY!  

I sold him for a reasonable return IMO.  I will not overpay to get him back.  

FWIW, I've been mocking on Yahoo all day today (prepping for 2 different drafts this week), and Chubb has gone 1.04 in 4 out of 6 mocks so far, and he was gone by 1.06 in the other two.   I won't own him in any redraft leagues this year, but man I hope this happens in my real drafts because I may have a shot at Nuk/Adams at 1.08 🙏

On one hand, you're totally right with the "it can't hurt to ask" mentality. On the other hand, 99% of Hunt owners want way more than he's worth. So you're probably wasting your time and/or irritating the already irritated Hunt owner by not offering enough.

Personally, my strategy is to not even bring the subject up right now. I don't want to get into formal offers because if we revisit later it could be one of those "my offer stands" type of situations. I'd rather just approach them around week 4 when Hunt is just burning a roster spot... or maybe wait until they've got a need (injury or bye week) and then pounce, possibly making it part of a 2-for-2 trade or something of that nature. 

Hunt is not a target, so I don't want to give the impression he is. But he is a nice insurance piece. It's like a rich man's version of Montgomery/Davis. 

FWIW, I've been mocking on Yahoo all day today (prepping for 2 different drafts this week), and Chubb has gone 1.04 in 4 out of 6 mocks so far, and he was gone by 1.06 in the other two.   I won't own him in any redraft leagues this year, but man I hope this happens in my real drafts because I may have a shot at Nuk/Adams at 1.08 🙏
Hopefully your draft is on Yahoo!

Still going at the back of the 1st on FFCalculator, and ESPN still has him ranked in the 20s  :lol:

Also, I have no idea why Kareem Hunt is being drafted so high. Name value I guess?

The best-case scenario is you just held a guy on your bench for 9 weeks so that he can come in and play backup to Chubb?

Even if they split 50-50, not even close to worth his current draft price. I just don't get it.

Also, I have no idea why Kareem Hunt is being drafted so high. Name value I guess?

The best-case scenario is you just held a guy on your bench for 9 weeks so that he can come in and play backup to Chubb?

Even if they split 50-50, not even close to worth his current draft price. I just don't get it.
I'm not saying Hunt isn't being overdrafted, but you're kidding yourself if you think that's a best-case scenario.  I mean short of him getting into fisticuffs with another woman or tearing his achilles while driving to the stadium, that's pretty much a worst case scenario.

I'm not saying Hunt isn't being overdrafted, but you're kidding yourself if you think that's a best-case scenario.  I mean short of him getting into fisticuffs with another woman or tearing his achilles while driving to the stadium, that's pretty much a worst case scenario.
So you're expecting him to take the #1 RB position from Chubb once he returns?

With the # 10 pick in my 0.5 PPR re-draft league, I had been hoping to grab Chubb with my first pick. But the way people are seemingly lining up to suck on Nick's Chubb here, it would appear that I won't even get the chance. Not sure if that is, or is not, a good thing however. 

if things are going good for the Browns and chubb is dominating thr backfield as expected, there won't be any tinkering done.

Hunt will split out wide or spell Chubb when needed. 

Ive done at least 50 mock drafts and Chubb has gone before pick 1.8 exactly once.

As for Hunt.  He cant play until week 10.  Im not wasting a roster spot for 9 weeks on a guy that isnt even going to be the starter.

FWIW, i had a 12-team, .5PPR redraft league draft last night on CBS where I had the 1.10 spot. 

Due to CBS' rankings I passed on him in the 1st with the hopes he'd get back to me in the 2nd; I was correct in my strategy and landed him at the 2.03 spot. 

Granted this was CBS and their rankings are a bit F'd, but figured it was worth sharing for comparison sake.

Users who are viewing this thread