What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Nick Chubb, CLE (3 Viewers)

yea it's a blow to us chubb owners.  It's a weird move by the browns but it's the browns....

Last edited by a moderator:
yea it's a blow to us chubb owners.  It's a weird move by the browns but it's the browns....
Nothing weird about the Browns adding talent at value. It does suck for Chubb owners.

I posted about this in another thread, but I don't know that Hunt really affected Chubb's TD rate as much as people are saying. He had 6 TDs before Hunt was active, and 2 after, but he had 12 more RZ opportunities after Hunt was activated vs before (20 in weeks 1-9, 32 weeks 10-17). Hunt did take the few targets Chubb was getting, which is the real bummer. 

VIkings rush 476 times last season, to CLE's 393. 83 rush difference. 

Yes, there are reasons for that (better team, played from behind less), but our HC is known to give the RBs the rock. 

I'm confident Chubb gets used and used a lot.

Nothing weird about the Browns adding talent at value. It does suck for Chubb owners.

I posted about this in another thread, but I don't know that Hunt really affected Chubb's TD rate as much as people are saying. He had 6 TDs before Hunt was active, and 2 after, but he had 12 more RZ opportunities after Hunt was activated vs before (20 in weeks 1-9, 32 weeks 10-17). Hunt did take the few targets Chubb was getting, which is the real bummer. 
in these times the smart teams don't pay two rbs...they draft a third rounder and have a stud.  

in these times the smart teams don't pay two rbs...they draft a third rounder and have a stud.  
I agree. But 1 year at $3.2m isn't really paying a RB. signing a good young RB for that is a no brainier. $3.2m in cap space is less valuable than a 3rd. 

Soulfly3 said:
wanna take a stab at what the browns are paying their two stud rbs?
i know it's not much but they are going to have to pay chubb this year because he is going to want his...

Most teams don't focus on having two stud rbs, it doesn't exactly have a long history of success in the nfl

i know it's not much but they are going to have to pay chubb this year because he is going to want his...

Most teams don't focus on having two stud rbs, it doesn't exactly have a long history of success in the nfl
Chubb just finished his 2nd year. He can't get an extension until next offseason (unless that changed with the new CBA). 

I have been hearing a lot about Stefanski using a zone blocking system this season, similar to what they were doing in MN.

This raises a couple of questions for me.

1. Is Nick Chubb better suited for a ZBS or Man blocking scheme? What types of blocking did Chubb have the most success with the Browns so far?

2. Who is a better fit for the ZBS between Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt?

Here is a nice article about the wide zone of the Vikings and also examples of the Browns running the scheme with Chubb last season.

According to Pro Football Focus, the Vikings ran the most outside zone type concepts in the NFL (279 rushes) and were successful on 38.7 percent of the time – 13th in the NFL. The Browns ran similar concepts 181 times (5th most) and were successful 43.6 percent of the time – 6th best in the NFL. The good news: the Browns already have a feel for the scheme and they have the right running back to carry his offensive line within the scheme. They ran a good amount of the scheme from the gun, with some sprinkled in under-center, but they found success with the play. You can see the two different paths here.

High projection for Chubb in 2020.

------------------------------------------------------

J Moyer@JMoyerFB

Cleveland Browns 2020 #FantasyFootball Projections. Expect a much more run-heavy attack with some increased passing efficiency. #MoyerProjections 

👉👉👉  LINK Cleveland Browns 2020 #FantasyFootball Projections

-----------------------------------------------------

J Moyer@JMoyerFB

NFL skill video breakdowns. Analysis at http://MattWaldmanRSP.com. RSP Fantasy Film & Data Pod. YouTube: Skill Films. Former coach x7 years. Dynasty player x25 years.

With zone-blocking run-heavy scheme HC Stefanski implementing, Chubbs gonna be monster this year.  He just needs to stay healthy and fortunately for him, Kareem Hunt is CoP to give Chubb a breather.  

With zone-blocking run-heavy scheme HC Stefanski implementing, Chubbs gonna be monster this year.  He just needs to stay healthy and fortunately for him, Kareem Hunt is CoP to give Chubb a breather.  
Maybe, but Hunt is really good.  And he got a lot of passing work in the 2nd half of the season.  Chubb may challenge for the rushing title once again, but Hunt may limit his receiving totals.  If Hunt wasn't there, I think Chubb is top 5 or 6--ahead of Henry/Mixon.  

NICK CHUBB RB, CLEVELAND BROWNS

The Browns' best chance at offensive success will be giving Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt 15 carries apiece every week, according to Ellis Williams of Cleveland.com. 

Williams believes Chubb and Hunt could finish as the first running back duo to exceed 1,000 rushing yards apiece since DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart did so in 2009. He warned fans not to expect any offensive "trickery" from Cleveland in 2020. Everything new HC Kevin Stefanski has said this offseason indicates the Browns are psyched about establishing the run in 2020. But 240 carries for Hunt (whose ADP is in the fifth round) without a Chubb injury would require a significant rankings adjustment. Stefanski's 2019 Vikings offense ran the ball 55.46 percent of the time while tied or leading, so a Browns team with game script on its side could translate to a hefty running back workload. 

RELATED: 

Kareem Hunt

SOURCE: Cleveland.com 

Aug 10, 2020, 10:14 AM ET

Heard he's being evaluated for a concussion.
Rotoworld:

Browns announced Nick Chubb is being evaluated for a possible concussion.

Chubb got in a few reps during the team's first padded practice but was helped off the field early. Time will tell how much (if any) time the 24-year-old will miss, but this news may sideline the third-year runner through the alotted contact period of camp. Kareem Hunt, already being drafted just behind Le'Veon Bell at the fifth-round turn in high-stakes leagues, would obviously surge to RB1 territory if Chubb sits in Week 1 and beyond.

SOURCE: Andrew Gribble on Twitter

Aug 17, 2020, 4:12 PM ET

All I'm seeing out there is Hunt this and Hunt that.

I get that Hunt is going to get his, but how far can someone who is a legit contender for the rushing title drop?  Even in PPR.

I have the 11th pick in a PPR redraft and am contemplating taking him there.  If I don't, then I'm sure as #### going to grab him at 2.02.

All I'm seeing out there is Hunt this and Hunt that.

I get that Hunt is going to get his, but how far can someone who is a legit contender for the rushing title drop?  Even in PPR.

I have the 11th pick in a PPR redraft and am contemplating taking him there.  If I don't, then I'm sure as #### going to grab him at 2.02.
100% agree. I think the Hunt hype is very out of control. Yes, he's got a ton of upside if Chubb goes down, but he's likely only a COP/3rd down RB without that. This isn't going to be anywhere near 50-50, or even 60-40. Chubb is the starter and Hunt is the backup. In addition people keep bringing up the, "Well if Chubb gets hurt, Hunt is a top-5 RB" line, but if Hunt gets hurt, I think Chubb has a shot at RB1.

100% agree. I think the Hunt hype is very out of control. Yes, he's got a ton of upside if Chubb goes down, but he's likely only a COP/3rd down RB without that. This isn't going to be anywhere near 50-50, or even 60-40. Chubb is the starter and Hunt is the backup. In addition people keep bringing up the, "Well if Chubb gets hurt, Hunt is a top-5 RB" line, but if Hunt gets hurt, I think Chubb has a shot at RB1.
From week 10 on, the snaps were 50-50.  Do you think it will be different this year?

From week 10 on, the snaps were 50-50.  Do you think it will be different this year?
Yes, I really don't think last year is all that relevant. Hunt had fresh legs, and this is an entirely different coaching staff. I think Cook/Mattison is a pretty fair barometer to base the workload split off of. True, Hunt is much better than Mattison, but Chubb is also better(and more durable) than Cook. Hunt also kind of served as the #3 pass catcher last year, which I think is highly unlikely with Hooper on board and Njoku healthy. 

I'm expecting pretty close to a 2-1 split in favor of Chubb. I'm also expecting Chubb's TD's to spike a bit, he was very unlucky to only have 8, he could easily jump to say 12+.

At their current ADPs, I think Chubb is a slight steal, and Hunt is a reach, unless you already have Chubb.

Browns coach Kevin Stefanski confirmed Nick Chubb is in the league's concussion protocol.

At the end of the day, this shouldn't affect Chubb's availability for any meaningful games next month. Expect Chubb to be sidelined for the next couple days. To our knowledge, Chubb has no known NFL concussions.

SOURCE: Jake Trotter on Twitter

Aug 18, 2020, 1:31 PM ET
Did Chubb have any known concussions while playing at the University of Georgia?

I never read too much into preseason hype.  This is the time of year that the hype machine gets revved up for the flavor of the week, day and even hour.  That said, Hunt is a formidable part of the offense, and he is not going away any time soon.  The offense still runs through Chubb, however.

Browns RB coach Stump Mitchell said Nick Chubb (concussion) is in meetings and "not complaining of headaches."

Mitchell also said Chubb is "doing well" and "it’s just a matter of time" before the 24-year-old is cleared from the league's protocol. It's a sigh of relief after Chubb's initial evaluation caused concern. He likely won't suit up for the remainder of the contact portion of camp, but Chubb is fully expected to be available in the team's season opener against the Ravens.

SOURCE: Aditi Kinkhabwala on Twitter

Aug 20, 2020, 12:24 PM ET

travdogg said:
Yes, I really don't think last year is all that relevant. Hunt had fresh legs, and this is an entirely different coaching staff. I think Cook/Mattison is a pretty fair barometer to base the workload split off of. True, Hunt is much better than Mattison, but Chubb is also better(and more durable) than Cook. Hunt also kind of served as the #3 pass catcher last year, which I think is highly unlikely with Hooper on board and Njoku healthy. 

I'm expecting pretty close to a 2-1 split in favor of Chubb. I'm also expecting Chubb's TD's to spike a bit, he was very unlucky to only have 8, he could easily jump to say 12+.

At their current ADPs, I think Chubb is a slight steal, and Hunt is a reach, unless you already have Chubb.
The bolded is why I don't think you can put too much into the split from last year.  I totally agree with your take here.  Chubb in late first early second is good value.

Took Mixon at 1.11 in a .5 PPR draft last weekend and wanted to take Chubb at 2.02...he went 2.01  :thumbdown:

Chubb went 20th in my draft Monday night. That felt crazy low to me. People are way too concerned about Hunt, who went 59th in that same draft.

Users who are viewing this thread