What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Nick Chubb, CLE (2 Viewers)

Coach Freddie Kitchens said he "would love" to give Nick Chubb more touches.

Chubb is averaging 20.5 touches per game through two weeks, but he's been pulled off the field in some crucial spots, including passing downs in favor of Dontrell Hillard and D'Ernest Johnson. Hillard also vultured Chubb for a four-yard touchdown run in Week 1. Chubb has still ran a whopping 47 pass routes and drawn eight targets. His workload is more than fine as a top-15 fantasy back. If he can get more, it would just be the cherry on top. Week 3's opponent, the Rams, were gashed by Christian McCaffrey in Week 1 before suffocating Alvin Kamara last Sunday.

SOURCE: Scott Petrak on Twitter

Sep 18, 2019, 11:08 AM ET

Soulfly3 said:
imagine you sold him

Seems early for a victory lap, I'd like to see him used more on 3rd down before just believing the coach that it will happen. 

As an owner I hope you're right. I have been expecting a true top-5 bellcow RB, in on all downs at least until Hunt returns. 

it wasnt a victory lap. i just cant imagine selling him. 

it's like saying you'd sell every brown, who to date just hasn't figured it out yet.

we're 2 weeks in. barkley is bellcowing and hi s fantasy numbers sure as hell ain't saquon

Nick Chubb rushed 23 times for 96 yards and caught 4-of-7 targets for 35 yards in Week 4 against the Rams.

Chubb had a heavy workload despite gameflow working against him. He was a bright spot for a Browns offense that couldn't pass or protect Baker Mayfield. Chubb has been the focal point of Cleveland's offense to start the year, averaging 20-plus touches over the first three games. He'll be a high-end RB2 for Week 4 against the Ravens.

Sep 22, 2019, 11:46 PM ET

It looked like he got the 3rd down work last night? At the very least it looked better than last week from a prognostication of future game script stand point. 

I'm somewhat glad my attempt to sell was unsuccessful.  He's back to having startup first round potential. 

He looked good. Had a TD called back too.
He did, because ODB was in motion when he shouldn't have been - didn't affect the play at all.  Late in the game, he had 96 rushing yards (what he ended with), and the Browns had first and goal from the 4 with under a minute left and at least 2 time outs from what I recall.  They pass the ball four strait times.  Horrible play calling there.  He could have had 100 rushing, 1 TD, along with 4 receptions for 35.  Would have saved my fantasy game.... :kicksrock:

Last edited by a moderator:
It looked like he got the 3rd down work last night? At the very least it looked better than last week from a prognostication of future game script stand point. 

I'm somewhat glad my attempt to sell was unsuccessful.  He's back to having startup first round potential. 
I'm not sure he missed a single snap last night. That isn't sustainable, but it was a big step in the right direction.

I'm not sure he missed a single snap last night. That isn't sustainable, but it was a big step in the right direction.
I'd rather him not have that heavy of a workload to be honest.

I'd rather they mix someone in and increase their total number of rushing attempts.

They've had success running the ball and it would take more pressure off Baker.

I'd rather him not have that heavy of a workload to be honest.

I'd rather they mix someone in and increase their total number of rushing attempts.

They've had success running the ball and it would take more pressure off Baker.
I think the optimal mix is a balance between last night and the first two games. Him constantly being pulled off the field in robot-like fashion in passing situations was just plain stupid, so it was nice to see that philosophy die a firey death last night. 

He is getting a ton of opportunities, he has looked good, and he's had a few TDs sniped (one from penalty, one from a guy who has 1 carry for the year).  Definitely buy low.

I think the optimal mix is a balance between last night and the first two games. Him constantly being pulled off the field in robot-like fashion in passing situations was just plain stupid, so it was nice to see that philosophy die a firey death last night. 
I agree.

Although I still think overall they've been passing far too much in general.

I agree.

Although I still think overall they've been passing far too much in general.
Quantity of passing isn't the issue. Efficiency was the theme of this offense late last year. There is absolutely nothing efficient about what's happened the first three weeks.

He looked real good on that screen pass that got 30 yards.  He's making plays in the passing game with limited work load, hopefully that work will increase.

Mayfield looks pretty bad to me. They need to figure out a different strategy vs zone defense. It caps Chubb's ceiling when Mayfield plays so poor.

Yes the Rams had something to do with that.

Great usage by Chubb though. Solid game.

Fantasy football stats to know from Week 3

Excerpt:

4. Nick Chubb played on just 67% of Cleveland’s snaps through the first two weeks of the season. In Week 3, he played on 99% of the team’s snaps.

Like the aforementioned Cooper, I was lower than most on Chubb, concerned he might not receive a bell cow workload this year. Although that still might be true when Kareem Hunt returns from suspension, and it was true through the first two weeks of the season, it wasn’t the case on Sunday. In Week 3, Chubb played on 67 of 68 snaps while drawing 23 carries and six targets out of the backfield. It wasn’t a big day fantasy-wise, but the volume is what we should be focusing on, and it’s enough to reconsider him as a mid-range to low-end RB1 moving forward (at least until Hunt returns).

He did, because ODB was in motion when he shouldn't have been - didn't affect the play at all.  Late in the game, he had 96 rushing yards (what he ended with), and the Browns had first and goal from the 4 with under a minute left and at least 2 time outs from what I recall.  They pass the ball four strait times.  Horrible play calling there.  He could have had 100 rushing, 1 TD, along with 4 receptions for 35.  Would have saved my fantasy game.... :kicksrock:
Not that it has anything to do with your point, but that penalty was 100% Baker's fault.  He's the one that signalled OBJ to go in motion and then he's the one that snapped it before he was set.

I don't know why I felt the need to be pedantic about that.  Probably because I lost my matchup due to that TD being called back and I want to make sure the right person gets blamed for it on this internet message board.  Take that, Baker.

Nick Chubb rushed 20 times for 165 yards and three touchdowns in the Browns' 40-25, Week 4 win over the Ravens.

He added three catches for 18 yards on four targets. The Browns could have gotten Chubb a fourth touchdown late, but they gave Dontrell Hilliard some goal-line chances to close out the game, and he punched it in for a score. Prior to then, Chubb had been dominating the snaps and work out of the backfield. He's elevated to top-five RB1 status in this role, and the Browns may have righted the ship a bit in this one. Chubb's big score was an untouched 88-yard run on a perfectly-blocked play where Chubb showed an extra gear to separate from the defense. Chubb gets the 49ers on the road in Week 5.

Sep 29, 2019, 4:43 PM ET

so those of you that sold got what in return
I sold him right after posting that I couldn't get the 3 plus 1sts I wanted.

Then Saquon got hurt, and I traded a package of Chubb plus around the value of a 1st to get Barkley. 

I'm really happy with it, especially since the team is a total rebuild. 

Next Gen Stats‏Verified account @NextGenStats

Nick Chubb reached 21.95 MPH on this 88-yard TD run, the fastest speed reached on a touchdown this season.

@NickChubb21 sustained 21+ MPH for 44.4 yards, from the Browns 33 yard line to the Ravens 21 yard line. #CLEvsBAL | #Browns

12:44 PM - 29 Sep 2019

I can't put Chubb in the Barkley tier until I see him dominate in a negative game script game, getting all kinds of garbage time/hurry up dump offs like Barkley gets. 

I also expect Barkley to be that rare RB who has a long career.  Chubb has a shot at it too, just not as high as Saquon. 

Not sure how you can predict the durability of a RB in their second year.  Is it because Chubb had injuries in college?  Frank Gore did too.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
chubb was saquon before the acl injury 

i get it tho. saquon is still the holy grail. Chubb is the 1b to saquon's 1a, for me. 
Chubb even at his pre-injury peak was never half the receiver that Barkley is.  As a runner, he was right there though.

Not sure how you can predict the durability of a RB in their second year.  Is it because Chubb had injuries in college?  Frank Gore did too.
Chubb hasn't really shown a propensity to get nicked or anything.  Other than the big injury he's been very durable.

It's of concern though that we've started seeing a trend of old knee injuries coming back to haunt guys in their mid-20's (Sony, Gurley, Ajayi), and Chubb's knee injury was worse than any of theirs.  That's not to say it will ever matter again, but the possibility that he suddenly goes from 1st round dynasty startup pick to deteriorating low end RB2 out of the blue is at least worth keeping in the back of our minds.

I could see Hunt's return mattering, not enough to hurt Chubb's value terribly but maybe enough to dent it on some weeks. Chubb not being involved much in the passing game means he needs rushing volume (20 carries this week; 23 last week) and chances at rushing TDs. If Hunt is going to come back and essentially be the 3rd down back then that probably doesn't affect Chubb much, but I don't think it's a stretch that Hunt could be worked in more than that. 

I'm 41 years old and maybe a homer Browns fan, but Chubb is a monster.  The only person I can think of to compare him to that I've seen is prime AP, but Chubb is a better receiver.  Maybe Jamal Lewis, Eddie George or Bo Jackson?  The dude just doesn't go down easily. 

Hunt will be able to do some damage on 10ish touches...maybe more depending on game flow since he's a better receiver than Chubb.  I doubt he comes back and gets a bunch of touches right away though, he did have sports hernia surgery on August 29th.

ive beaten the chubb is a good receiver drum for a long time.

he just is. not great, but good. and as the season goes on i expect more receptions. 

my fave rb, bar none.

That was some run. I’m going to have quite the dilemma next year in my one keep keeper league between him and Kamara. It’s non PPR so that definitely makes it closer. 

Nick Chubb has 270 NFL carries to his name since entering the league last season. In that time he has ripped off rushing TDs of 63, 41, 92 and 88yds

- SF3 Sports Bureau

kittenmittens said:
I can't put Chubb in the Barkley tier until I see him dominate in a negative game script game, getting all kinds of garbage time/hurry up dump offs like Barkley gets. 

I also expect Barkley to be that rare RB who has a long career.  Chubb has a shot at it too, just not as high as Saquon. 
This.  At least thus far, when games go sideways or they go in 2-minute offenses, Chubb yields the backfield to JAGs.  I think he’s a much better receiver than given credit for and should probably get every rep except when needing a rest.  But, reality is Barkley is in a different tier than everyone else, 8n part because he gets volume in all corners of the scoreboard.  

Users who are viewing this thread