What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, NE (6 Viewers)

I'm wrong that he averaged 2.7 yards per carry? Or that OSU OL got manhandled (and DL for that matter)? OSU ran 45 plays total, to almost 70 for MSU. There just weren't that many chances to give him the ball, because they couldn't sustain drives or get MSU off the field. And when he got it, he had no chance to do anything with it. It was dominating lines that decided the game, not some coaching blunder. 

Back to Zeke, no worries about his attitude. Excited to see him with the eagles next year!

Zero.  The one flag (and it's only a flag because that's all there is to criticize on him) is that he criticized his coach after a loss to Michigan St where he only got 10 carries or so and they barely trailed.  He is squeaky clean and loves football.
And you saw what happened the week after that.............They fed him until he almost puked and they won the game :)  Calling out Urban & Co. after that Michigan St. game isn't a red flag to me, it shows how competitive he is. I live in the central Ohio area, and Urban basically admitted the entire week after the Sparty game that Zeke was absolutely correct and they got away from what the game plan should have been. He's always been a high character guy who in the heat of the moment may have said something in an interview that he shouldn't have.

Also keep in mind the backstory on Zeke after that Sparty game. Zeke spent two days hospitalized for some type of infection earlier in the week before the Spartan game. While I don't think his comments towards the coaching staff was something that he SHOULD of said, they definitely weren't untrue either. There was a lot of emotion involved after that game, especially for Elliott once you factor in the obstacles he had to overcome to even be able to play in that game. It was championship or bust in Columbus this year, and in the heat of the moment I'm sure he felt like the entire season just went out the window and in happened in a game that the coaching staff decided to completely ignore the engine that made that offense move (Elliott).

Someone mentioned that the thought Elliot was a better prospect than AP was. That's actually something I never thought about and never drew the AP comparison when I looked at Elliot. If I had to pick a successful former NFL RB to compare Elliot to, I'd say Edgerrin James. I have said for a while though that over the past 5-6 years, only Gurley was a better RB prospect than Elliot is. What's going to help Elliot a lot is the fact that he's going to walk into the NFL and instantly become one of the best and most willing pass blocking RBs in the game. That's an aspect of his game that sometimes flies under the radar, but it's huge for his prospects of staying on the field (especially early in his career).

Yeah, excuse me:

NOT squeaky clean.
Another source

Teams Have Hard-Party Drug Concerns with Joey Bosa, Ezekiel Elliott

Updated March 15, 2016 By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell Eastern Kentucky edge rusher Noah Spence was a standout pass-rusher at Ohio State before positive tests for the party drug ecstasy led to him being kicked out of the program. At the Senior Bowl, teams interviewed Spence about his issues at Ohio State, and while he wouldn't name names, he said that he wasn't the only Buckeye player who was using ecstasy while partying. In speaking with sources at multiple teams, two of the players that teams suspect for that type of partying are defensive end Joey Bosa and running back Ezekiel Elliott. To be clear, neither player had a positive drug test for ecstasy or molly (MDMA). However, Bosa was suspended for the opening game of the 2015 season. Ohio State didn't clarify the exact offense for the suspension, but Bosa told teams during the NFL Combine interviews that he was suspended because he refused to take a drug test. That counted as a positive and thus he was automatically slapped with the suspension. Bosa told teams that he wouldn't take the test because he was going to test positive for adderall. He is said to have ADHD or ADD, so teams wouldn't have held that positive test for adderall against him and they feel he should have just gotten a prescription for the medication. Teams believe that Bosa knew he was going to test positive for worse drugs and that is why he refused to take the test. Bosa wouldn't admit to using ecstasy or molly, but he did admit that he likes to attend raves. He claimed that he likes going to raves for the "music," which teams found to be very questionable. Molly and ecstasy are common drugs used at raves. At Ohio State, Bosa was a roommate with Ezekiel Elliott. Apparently, their shared place was a party destination, and Bosa told teams that he had to move out and get his own place to get away from all the parties that Elliott had going on. Sources say they suspect that Elliott was also using molly and ecstasy while parting. A number of Elliott's teammates in the Combine interviews told teams that Elliott was a partier, and a unique individual. They said they hung out with him some, but he rubbed some the wrong way. Sources from multiple teams said that Elliott didn't interview well at the Combine, while Bosa had mixed feedback. The skepticism of why he goes to raves and the refusal of the drug test bothered some evaluators. Lastly, teams said they don't expect these concerns to have an impact on the draft stock of either player. They firmly expect Bosa to go in the top 10 and Elliott to be selected in the top 20. Sources don't believe either is a candidate to slide. Teams in the 20s expect Elliott to be long gone, while sources with the Titans have said that Bosa is still in the running for the No. 1 overall pick to Tennessee, but Florida State defensive back Jalen Ramsey is the current leader with the Titans (see below). While teams suspect Bosa and Elliott of using those drugs, they don't have view them as risks like Randy Gregory last year. Teams don't think that Bosa and Elliott are serious candidates to be landing suspensions and testing positive in the NFL. Thus, both should be high draft picks in the 2016 NFL Draft. 

I know some saw the outburst as a positive, and that he wants to win.

I don't agree with that.  Lots of players have a burning desire to win.  Almost all of them don't need to bad mouth the coaches to do it.  

Things were so rough for Zeke at Ohio State that he had to finally speak up, I guess.  He must have been sick of all the losing, and constantly being surrounded by inferior talent.  

I don't agree with that.  Lots of players have a burning desire to win.  Almost all of them don't need to bad mouth the coaches to do it.  

Things were so rough for Zeke at Ohio State that he had to finally speak up, I guess.  He must have been sick of all the losing, and constantly being surrounded by inferior talent.  
He was on ESPN this morning and was very contrite about it. Said he learned to keep that stuff in house and would never let it happen again.

He was on ESPN this morning and was very contrite about it. Said he learned to keep that stuff in house and would never let it happen again.
Well, that's good news, and listen, I don't think it's a big deal.  I don't like it, but it's not a reason to skip the guy.  Kind of like how him being a good blocker isn't the reason he should go top 10.  It all should be factored in. 

I'm just playing contrarian here now, because the circle jerk is getting out of hand.  

His talent running the ball is not on the level of Gurley, or ADP, or even what I have seen from Fournette or Chubb.  JMO.  I am not sure I have seen this insane combo of vision and instincts.  I see a good RB, playing on a damn all-star team, running well.  

I see a lot about him not having a weakness, and being an all-around player, and being a true 3 down back.  I think if a RB goes in the top 10, he needs to be a special runner--take over the game, game-breaking special runner.  

Haha -- it's certainly possible but I may be biased. Although I am talking about college...not what he has done in the league. 

Remember, AP never had two back-to-back 1800 yard rushing seasons. 
peterson was hurt a lot in college but he had some absolutely insane moments.  elliot looks pretty great, but I have never seen a rb like adrian peterson.  the sheer violent acceleration is just unreal.  

elliot is smooth and has some nice pickup, but its no where near peterson.  

I would not be surprised either way on elliot.  I like the gore comparison the best I think.  if he has that kind of vision then he will be highly successful.  but I am not sure if his explosiveness and athleticism is enough to elude nfl tacklers.

elliot is smooth and has some nice pickup, but its no where near peterson.  
I agree.  I still remember Peterson's first carry in his first preseason game.  Sweep off the right tackle, and it was like a man playing against boys, after an 18 yard run he finished it with a shoulder to a safety where he put him in the ground.  

Elliot could be a solid RB, but comparing him to Peterson might be a little early.  I'd say tier below, which is still in good company. 

massraider said:
Yeah, excuse me:

NOT squeaky clean.
Another source

I know some saw the outburst as a positive, and that he wants to win.

I'm sorry, I just don't put much weight in some unsubstantiated third hand report about college aged young adults SUPPOSEDLY doing what is commonplace in college. I don't fault anyone if they're turned off by this "report", but to me it's a bunch of fluff with no evidence backing it up.

I'm sorry, I just don't put much weight in some unsubstantiated third hand report about college aged young adults SUPPOSEDLY doing what is commonplace in college. I don't fault anyone if they're turned off by this "report", but to me it's a bunch of fluff with no evidence backing it up.
ReportS, plural.  Two different reports.  As far as fluff with no evidence, that's how all the stories come out.  Rumors, anecdotes, whispers.  What do you think this is, CSI NFL Draft?  That's how it started with Johnny Manziel, we didn't go right to police reports and bathroom cocaine photos.  

But they don't really scare me, either.  Players party.  I was just pointing out that 'squeaky clean' isn't 100% correct, that's all.

Zeke is a stud there's no question about that. The Gore comparison might be closer than the other comparisons.

Tex

Zeke is a stud there's no question about that. The Gore comparison might be closer than the other comparisons.

Tex
I can buy this comparison. So let's ask this question, where would have people expected Frank Gore to be drafted if he entered the league with two healthy knees?

Scout Inc's Steve Muench compared Ohio State RB Ezekiel Elliott to David Johnson.
"At 6-foot, 224 pounds and 6-foot, 225 pounds, respectively, Johnson and Elliott are both bigger backs with the strength to pick up yards after contact and the speed to rip off chunks of yards," Muench wrote. "They are also effective third-down players who can produce after the catch and hold up in pass protection." He believes Elliott will acclimate to the NFL quicker than Johnson did, though, due in part to his superlative blocking ability and the fact that he faced top-level competition on a consistent basis in college. Johnson could not say the same thing coming out of Northern Iowa. Elliott has indicated that the Eagles have shown the most interest in him to this point. They hold the No. 8 pick.

Source: ESPN Insider 
Apr 19 - 4:39 PM

Giants at 10?  Bears at 11?

No way he makes it past the Dolphins at 13.
Oakland could trade up (they are at 14 I think).  I think Dallas at 4 would be a pipe dream, but someone could trade up with Dallas to move up and get someone.  Baltimore is still a possibility. 

Oakland could trade up (they are at 14 I think).  I think Dallas at 4 would be a pipe dream, but someone could trade up with Dallas to move up and get someone.  Baltimore is still a possibility. 
Reggie comes from the Packer model, which means it is very, VERY unlikely the Raiders trade up in rd1.

I thought that Dallas and Oakland would be the best two possible landing spots, with Philly #3 (assuming they traded Ryan Matthews after getting Zeek).  At this point, I don't see Dallas getting him that early, and unless Oakland trades up they won't get him.

How would this guy do in Miami realistically?

Reggie comes from the Packer model, which means it is very, VERY unlikely the Raiders trade up in rd1.
Except the Raiders are in position this year with their free agent moves to where all of their picks may not make the team....so a small trade up could be on the table....14 to 11 or 12.

I thought that Dallas and Oakland would be the best two possible landing spots, with Philly #3 (assuming they traded Ryan Matthews after getting Zeek). 
I never understood why Philly was on the radar here.  Why would they trade away a pretty good RB just so they could draft a RB and then trade away yet another pretty good RB?  Just never made sense.

I never understood why Philly was on the radar here.  Why would they trade away a pretty good RB just so they could draft a RB and then trade away yet another pretty good RB?  Just never made sense.
Not much makes sense in Philly these days. 

I doubt Baltimore would pass on Bosa/Buckner/Stanley/Hargreaves for a RB.

Toomuchnv said:
Except the Raiders are in position this year with their free agent moves to where all of their picks may not make the team....so a small trade up could be on the table....14 to 11 or 12.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see E2 land in Oaktown. I think his presence would really improve the team's odds of making the playoffs. But the Raiders still have too many holes to fill to be giving picks away. The back end of the defense, in particular, lacks quality and depth. That point aside, you could say the same thing about the Packers for years. I don't recall they ever trading up in the first round. Finally, I don't think they have to trade up to find a quality RB in this draft. 

osubuckeyeman said:
Would Elliot still be the consensus 1.1 in Dynasty Rookie drafts if the Browns took him??
Maybe the ONLY thing that would give me pause would be if Henry also ended up in Dallas at the top of the 2nd.

petekrum said:
Cmon man.
Jk, although it would definitely help them more in the short-term.

Honestly I think the farthest Elliott falls is 13, but I wouldn't be shocked if he was taken by the Cowboys, Ravens, Giants, Bears or Dolphins.

Jk, although it would definitely help them more in the short-term.

Honestly I think the farthest Elliott falls is 13, but I wouldn't be shocked if he was taken by the Cowboys, Ravens, Giants, Bears or Dolphins.
I would be shocked if he was picked by the Cowboys or Ravens.

The 13th pick IS the Dolphins' pick.

I thought that Dallas and Oakland would be the best two possible landing spots, with Philly #3 (assuming they traded Ryan Matthews after getting Zeek).  At this point, I don't see Dallas getting him that early, and unless Oakland trades up they won't get him.

How would this guy do in Miami realistically?
Probably spend half the time on the bench, because you know he might get injured. They kept Miller healthy.

It makes more sense when you see their new wishbone-QB offense. To run that bad boy you need a RB that is capable of doing EVERYTHING.

Or Jamal Lewis.  Taken 5th overall, wins a Super Bowl as a rookie.
2015 Ronnie Hillman 863
2014 Jonas Gray 412
2013 Marshawn Lynch 1247
2012 Ray Rice 1143
2011 Ahmad Bradshaw 659
2010 Brandon Jackson 703
2009 Pierre Thomas  793
2008 Willie Parker 791
2007 Brandon Jacobs 1,009
2006 Joseph Addai 1,081
2005 Willie Parker 1,202
2004 Corey Dillon 1,635
2003 Antowain Smith 642
2002 Michael Pittman 718
2001 Antowain Smith 1,157
2000 Jamal Lewis 1,364
Avg Super Bowl Rushing Leader 963.6875

There are great backs that have won Super Bowls, but they are almost always attached to an unbelievable defense.  The real reason to stay away though is the salary cap.  With a first round pick you get an extra year.  When teams are paying $7 million to back up Chase Daniels (which would make him the 7th highest RB this year), you aren't getting value at RB and that extra year can be huge.  If your offensive line is good, there are enough backs to get you along.  

Or you could use just one draft pick (say on Adrian Peterson) to offset the short comings of an offensive line (or 5 players/picks) then the other way around.  I'm of the mindset you draft the best player.  You could swing and miss on any position, don't limit or exclude anything when you're on the clock.

CBS Sports writer Jeff Reynolds noted that Ohio State RB Ezekiel Elliott "would go a long way toward giving the Browns the identity [Hue] Jackson envisions."
In a juicy irony, prior to Wednesday's trade by the Eagles for the No. 2 overall pick, Elliott had actually indicated that they had shown more interest in him than any other team. The same can't be said for the new owners of pick No. 8, the Cleveland Browns, but Reynolds sees the 6-foot, 225-pound Buckeye product as a potentially nice fit. Wrote the analyst, "With third-down back Duke Johnson in the fold, Elliott could serve as the primary back and no doubt would be a cheered addition in making the short move from Columbus to Cleveland." Logistical happiness aside, the Browns have enough depth at running back -- and enough holes elsewhere -- that Zeke could be a little rich for their blood. They could easily swoop back around to draft the likes of Derrick Henry or Kenneth Dixon after Day 1 if they want a runner.

Source: CBS Sports 
Apr 21 - 2:43 PM

I have 1.01 in all three of my leagues, so as much as I would abhor this as a Dallas h8r, I would have to be tickled pink for my fantasy teams.

Users who are viewing this thread