What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, NE (6 Viewers)

ESPN Cowboys reporter Todd Archer reports Ezekiel Elliott will meet with commissioner Roger Goodell Tuesday in New York to discuss an incident that took place in Las Vegas earlier this offseason.

Elliott was handcuffed following an altercation with a security guard at a music festival in May, but was ultimately released without charges. While most considered the incident a minor one, Elliott's history of off-field misbehavior leaves him with some explaining to do. Elliott won't face any legal ramifications for what happened in Vegas, though the same was true of his alleged domestic violence in 2016, which ultimately resulted in a six-game suspension. None of this bodes well for the two-time rushing champ, who needs all the leverage he can get in contract negotiations with Dallas.

SOURCE: Todd Archer on Twitter

Jul 1, 2019, 9:25 AM ET

Ezekiel Elliott apologized for a May incident after meeting with commissioner Roger Goodell Tuesday in New York.

Elliott said he made a "poor decision" that led to him being handcuffed at a music festival in Las Vegas. The incident didn't result in criminal charges, but it did force Elliott and Cowboys counsel to meet with Goodell this morning. Goodell can still hand Elliott a suspension, but NFL Media's Mike Garafolo predicts Zeke will dodge one this time around. If Elliott wants to earn that big contract, he needs to avoid these distractions.

SOURCE: Ezekiel Elliott on Twitter

Jul 2, 2019, 4:34 PM ET

NFL.com's Mike Garofolo reports there is "optimism" Ezekiel Elliott avoids a suspension following his May altercation with a security guard.

Elliott met with commissioner Roger Goodell on Tuesday, and immediately issued a public apology afterward. Per Garofolo, the meeting was "more of a warning" than anything else. Previously-suspended players are playing with fire with any off-the-field issues, but Elliott seems to be in the clear here.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Jul 2, 2019, 7:54 PM ET

if they don't offer him a longterm deal with solid guaranteed money he should hold out before the 2020 season.

It worked for Bell, he got a lot more guaranteed money with the Jets than the Steelers offered him.

Anything outside of the guaranteed money is basically fluff.

This screams holdout.  Buyer beware.

Doubt it.  Contract is a bigger issue.  Looking at getting tagged next year.

I couldn't disagree more. He knows he isn't in line for a extension because he keeps getting into trouble. They might give him one because it will be in their best interest extend him 2-3 years and then let him walk after hes mostly used up,) but they certainly aren't under any pressure to do so. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't disagree more. He knows he isn't in line for a extension because he keeps getting into trouble. They might give him one because it will be in their best interest extend him 2-3 years and then let him walk after hes mostly used up,) but they certainly aren't under any pressure to do so. 
Agree

Meets with Commissioner, then promptly issues apology for an incident which happened a month ago. Remember when our parents made us apologize to our siblings?

Last edited by a moderator:
This may have already been touched on but most of the last few pages are about his possible/now we know not happening suspension.

We're his 77 receptions last year an outlier? Or a trend going forward? Trying to rank him in a PPR League.

This may have already been touched on but most of the last few pages are about his possible/now we know not happening suspension.

We're his 77 receptions last year an outlier? Or a trend going forward? Trying to rank him in a PPR League.
Due to that number going from 32, 26, to 77 seems like a massive jump.  I would say in the 50-60 range would be closer to what to expect.  

Yeah, it could be a change in offensive system, but maybe a Cowboys fan can chime in on if a new offensive scheme was put in place last year and may continue to this year.
They talked last offseason about getting him more targets being a priority.

Alot of mouths to feed this yr in an offense that wants to run the ball.

I'd be shocked if he caught that many passes this yr

While 77 receptions is an outlier for his career so far, Elliot has always been a good receiver and capable of this.

I was wondering if perhaps they threw to him more last year due to a lack of other options before trading for Cooper?

But when I looked it up he had about 2/3rds of his targets after the Cooper trade. This could be a new normal.

I would be comfortable with projecting him for 50 to 60 receptions this year.

I’m not seeing how the above conversation is a lack of respect. Cobb is in but Beasley is out. So we really getting amped about a 37 year old te returning and a 4th round rookie rb? 

From a team perspective I’d be more optimistic about Amari having an off-season to get implemented, the OL returning to health and adding depth, and the young defensive stars taking more leaps forward.

Back to Zeke, 50-60 recs sounds right to me as well.

I’m not seeing how the above conversation is a lack of respect. Cobb is in but Beasley is out. So we really getting amped about a 37 year old te returning and a 4th round rookie rb? 
Are you new here? Don’t forget the Clapper is good and Dak is historic :lmao:

I am all about Zeke this year. The only thing giving me pause is the contract situation.

Cooper is there from the beginning, Cobb is an upgrade and yes even the old TE will help. 

1300 yds, 10+TD's and 50+ receptions? Yes please.

I am all about Zeke this year. The only thing giving me pause is the contract situation.

Cooper is there from the beginning, Cobb is an upgrade and yes even the old TE will help. 

1300 yds, 10+TD's and 50+ receptions? Yes please.
Dream bigger! His career rushing and td numbers suggest more like 1500-1700 yards over 16 games on the ground alone and more like 14 tds. 

Ezekiel Elliott's attorneys released a statement claiming the former has been the "target of extortion."

"Over the course of the past several weeks, Mr. Elliott has been the target of extortion," the statement reads. "Kyle Johnson's filing of a criminal complaint against Mr. Elliott in connection with the Las Vegas incident is the latest attempt to do so." The full release can be viewed in the link below. Elliott has already been cleared of any violations stemming from the incident, so any further action from his legal team is simply considered legal conjecture. Not in any danger of being suspended, Elliott remains a top-four pick across all formats this upcoming year.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jul 13, 2019, 7:16 PM ET

Profootballtalk reports that Ezekiel Elliott has "privately said that he will hold out of training camp unless he gets a new contract."

Unlike Melvin Gordon, Elliott has been publicly silent on his contract situation. Gordon, of course, is headed into an actual contract year. Elliott still has two seasons remaining on his rookie deal. He has also been dealing with the fallout from another off-the-field issue, his May altercation with a security guard in Las Vegas. If Elliott is serious, it would be an intelligent gambit in an increasingly-unforgiving running back market.

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Jul 15, 2019, 1:51 PM ET

ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio reports Ezekiel Elliott is planning for a trip out of the country.

A lot could change in the next week, but it's beginning to sound as if Zeke will assuredly hold out into camp unless he receives a new deal. August 6 remains the looming date to monitor as Elliott would give up an accrued season toward free agency if he fails to report by that time, inching closer to becoming a restricted free agent rather than an unrestricted one on the open market following the 2020 season. The Cowboys open camp on July 27.

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on Twitter

Jul 20, 2019, 5:22 PM ET

The RB's behind Zeke are Tony Pollard (rookie 4th rd pick), Mike Weber (rookie 7th rd pick), Darius Jackson (6th rd pick in 2016, best known for being listed as inactive on game days), Jordan Chunn (undrafted last yr, signed by DAL), and Jamize Olawale (undrafted in 2012, 30 yr old FB)

There is no chance, zip, nada, that DAL enters the season with this crew if Zeke holds out.  Have I missed any news about the Cowboys panicking and shopping around for RB's, just in case?

NFL Network's Jane Slater reports Ezekiel Elliott was not on the team flight to Los Angeles.

Players have flown to camp on their own before, so he'll still have until Friday to show up. Elliott has been expected to be a camp holdout with August 6 being an important date because it would give up an accrued season for the 2020 offseason. Elliott is still a top-three pick in just about all formats.

SOURCE: Jane Slater on Twitter

Jul 25, 2019, 2:07 PM ET

By betting odds they are the #6 team in NFC.  Without Zeke there is no way they make the playoffs.  

I don’t think he’ll hold out but if he does it will be funny for Jerry to explain their 4-12 season.

By betting odds they are the #6 team in NFC.  Without Zeke there is no way they make the playoffs.  

I don’t think he’ll hold out but if he does it will be funny for Jerry to explain their 4-12 season.
I think Jerry would cave before it comes to that. He’s not a young man and I don’t think he wants to waste a season.

Rotoworld take:

105.3 The Fan's Kevin Turner reports Ezekiel Elliott is holding out in Mexico.

Profootballtalk reported earlier this month that Elliott planned to hold out beyond America's borders. If it sounds like Zeke is going to party, he is actually going to get ripped like he did during his 2017 suspension. There have not been any updates on movement in contract talks since Zeke no-showed for the start of Cowboys camp.

SOURCE: 1053thefan.com

Jul 29, 2019, 2:48 PM ET

[Slater] I can confirm today’s reports that Zeke is headed to Cabo to train while the #Cowboys and his team continue to work on his contract. Per a source close to the situation, I’m told his agent, Rocky Arceneaux, owns a place there and he did the same during his suspension.

A team source tells me they have they have seen the Cabo reports and it’s “not a good look”. They believe their last offer was a fair one and continue to talk to Zeke with the hope of getting him to camp sooner rather than later

https://twitter.com/SlaterNFL/status/1155975407457280000

1.12 - Julio Jones

2-1 - Travis Kelce

3.12 - Patrick Mahomes

4.1 - Todd Gurley

5.12 - Ezekiel Elliott

6.1 - Melvin Gordon

Users who are viewing this thread