Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
wilked

Home-owners...What are your current projects?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

https://i.imgur.com/rhi3vOg.jpg,

Got the pool in at beginning of the week,. Now hiring to have deck put in.  After they get done I'll run electric to a heater,  if wifey lets me buy one.

Edited by bucksoh
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Finally painted the ceiling in my master bedroom today. 2 coats and 1.5 gallons on 14 feet high ceilings. Replaced 4 smoke detectors (old ones were nasty beige color and were all yellowed) and 1 light fixture. This light looks pretty good imo. 
 

ETA: Had irrigation guy come out and replace all 4 valves and fixed my bad zone. He’s giving me a pretty sweet commercial grade controller with like 16 zones and optional WiFi (which I’ll order). It’s some Toro Evolution controller that does lighting and water features like waterfalls. 

Edited by Osaurus
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2020 at 8:56 AM, Fat Nick said:

I want to see what you come up with.  I've got a Pro John Deere Z-Turn and I've been wanting to mount a sprayer on the back for years.  I've just never found an option that I can DIY or that justifies the price.  I wish I could just find a big "cupholder" that would mount a 3-5gallon sprayer.

 

On 5/20/2020 at 11:22 AM, Bossman said:

Yeah, I'm curious as to how I'm gonna do it as well ... Lol.

Also questioning if I am going to need ballast on the front.

16 gal of liquid, plus the weight of the sprayer, I might be riding wheelies across my yard.

I'll update when I get it in a week two

Directions say to "strap it to the cargo rack on the back of your ATV". So, not really designed for a lawn tractor. But I knew that going in.

On my John Deere lawn tractor, there are two arms that hold the rear bag in place;

Bag removed

The Sprayer frame sat perfectly on those two arms.

Sprayer in place

I bent two flat steel brackets at right angles and bolted thru existing holes in the sprayer frame ... and drilled a hole in each bag arm of the lawn tractor to attach the bracket with 1/4" bolts.

Not trusting those arms to carry the full weight of the sprayer and 16 gals of fluid, I fashioned a bracket out of some scrap that I had laying around, 

and attached to the farthest point of the sprayer frame, down at an angle to what looked like a tow hitch hole on the tractor. (red diagonal bracket in photo)

Finished Sprayer on Lawn Tractor

Seems pretty solid and the entire system can be removed with 4 bolts. So a 5 min job.

Also just ordered the mulching kit for the tractor so I won't be using the bag again until the leaves fall.

I gave it a whirl today. Mixed up the chemicals and made 6 gallons of eff u weeds cocktail. 

The sprayer worked as advertised and I felt like I was a crop duster. Went nice and slow to be sure I got a good coating on all those nasty weeds.

I went thru the 6 gal pretty quick just in the back yard.

Mixed up another 12 gal and got back at it. Front yard is a little hilly and the steering got a bit light in a couple of spots ... but no wheelies.

I may need some ballast on the front if I go the full 16 gal but jury is still out.

The wand came in handy too where the wife has flowers and around the deck where I didn't want any over spray.

An easy to reach lever on the pump cuts flow to the crop dusting boom when I need to use the wand.

Overall pleased with my purchase. Now just need to wait a couple weeks and see how much it helped with the weed situation. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel that some how I should be able to convert my non stop running sump (we have the only "full" depth basement on our block and the sump runs through the drought months) with a garden watering device, not sure the actual specifics though.  In my head I just split and add some pipe to the outlet of the  sump and run it over to the garden and into a pipe that is perforated that runs between the  plants.  Somehow I am sure I am missing something though. (this post made because my wife decided to replant the garden and stated that she would take care of it which we all know is a lie).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, UOFI_316 said:

I feel that some how I should be able to convert my non stop running sump (we have the only "full" depth basement on our block and the sump runs through the drought months) with a garden watering device, not sure the actual specifics though.  In my head I just split and add some pipe to the outlet of the  sump and run it over to the garden and into a pipe that is perforated that runs between the  plants.  Somehow I am sure I am missing something though. (this post made because my wife decided to replant the garden and stated that she would take care of it which we all know is a lie).

Seems ok to me so long as the garden is not next to the foundation

 

general thoughts - add ball valves to each branch. You will need to play with valve positions to get the right amount of water to the garden

 

do you get below freezing? 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2020 at 10:20 AM, Punxsutawney Phil said:

Whoa that looks legit!  I have heard that the truegreen companies don't spray for crab grass.

What kind of grass do you have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2020 at 9:52 PM, bucksoh said:
On 5/14/2020 at 3:58 PM, Uruk-Hai said:

I see. You're going to have to rip out the old jambs, header, sill, and exterior trim. When you put the new unit in, make sure it's plumb/level - have long drywall screws on hand with a bunch of shims. You may also have to redo your keeper space in the jamb for the lock. Houses settle over time and throw doors out of whack (they also could have not been installed correctly in the first place). Patch whatever rot you have behind the stuff you take out. 

DO NOT use that damned expanding spray foam to fill the open spaces.  Take your time and press in some insulation. Caulk the outside, you should be good. 

Do you just not like spray foam and what is the reasoning behind not using spray foam.  I ask because I replaced the door in my Reno and used spray foam.  Thanks in advance.

I want to understand this too.  I see it used all the time and seems to be the preferred method.  That said, there's a process to it.  You can't spray it in and begin to enclose it immediately.  You need to let it expand for a period of time (an hour or so) and cut the excess away.  If you don't it can expand and screw things up.  Perhaps that's what he's talking about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wilked said:

Seems ok to me so long as the garden is not next to the foundation

 

general thoughts - add ball valves to each branch. You will need to play with valve positions to get the right amount of water to the garden

 

do you get below freezing? 
 

 

Garden is along the side of the house, and yes we freeze.  Whatever I come up with I will construct in a way that I can remove the garden portion come fall.  My thinking is to somehow split the outlet from the sump so only a portion is directed to the garden so I don't end up over watering it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UOFI_316 said:

Garden is along the side of the house, and yes we freeze.  Whatever I come up with I will construct in a way that I can remove the garden portion come fall.  My thinking is to somehow split the outlet from the sump so only a portion is directed to the garden so I don't end up over watering it.  

I think a simple "Y" with ball valves at each outlet would work fine. Some portion goes up the storm drain system, and some gets diverted to water the garden.  I'm sure someone does this with a rain barrel system already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m just worried that the water is coming in via the foundation, and now you’re putting the water right back against the foundation. 
 

your sump outlet presumably is away from the house where it can drain off / be absorbed into the soil 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just cleaned my deck. I have a Trex so didn't want to power wash even though the new ones say you can.  I used hose, hot soapy water and a deck brush.

It's like I didn't even clean it.  Guess I'll just out the power washer.   The low tip doesn't really do anything.  I used the medium tip on my vinyl fence so hopefully that doesn't cause damage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, belljr said:

I just cleaned my deck. I have a Trex so didn't want to power wash even though the new ones say you can.  I used hose, hot soapy water and a deck brush.

It's like I didn't even clean it.  Guess I'll just out the power washer.   The low tip doesn't really do anything.  I used the medium tip on my vinyl fence so hopefully that doesn't cause damage

My deck is Azek (same as Trex?) ... I've pressure washed with no issues.

I didn't even realize that it could do damage. Seems much harder than wood.

:shrug:

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to replace the insulation around on the AC line running to my compressor outside. We have only been in the house 6 months but damn, the sun/UV did a  number on whatever that cheap #### was that they used on the original install. There were a couple spots where the insulation was eaten through all the way to the copper. The rest of it just flaked off. 

It was a very easy job. Bought some air conditioner insulating foam at Home Depot and had the old stuff off and the new insulation replaced in less than 10 minutes. The new insulation had adhesive tabs that I just pulled off the stick the two edges together. I ran a strip of electrical tape along the seam as well for some extra sticky factor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bossman said:

My deck is Azek (same as Trex?) ... I've pressure washed with no issues.

I didn't even realize that it could do damage. Seems much harder than wood.

:shrug:

What psi and "tip" do you use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, belljr said:

What psi and "tip" do you use?

I use whatever my gas powered craftsman will give me. Mine does not have a dial for psi ... and I don't remember the tip.

I do remember the pollen was very stubborn and if I missed a spot, it was obvious when it dried.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

I think a simple "Y" with ball valves at each outlet would work fine. Some portion goes up the storm drain system, and some gets diverted to water the garden.  I'm sure someone does this with a rain barrel system already.

Do they make ball valves for the 1-1/2" pipe the sump outlets with? I have never looked for ones that large.

9 hours ago, wilked said:

I’m just worried that the water is coming in via the foundation, and now you’re putting the water right back against the foundation. 
 

your sump outlet presumably is away from the house where it can drain off / be absorbed into the soil 

I do not think the water that gets to the sump/drain tile is surface water.   There have been summers where we have been dry for weeks and the sump will still run a few times a day (pre garden with no grass watering or other sources of water around the house),  I think we have the only full depth basement on the block and my guess is there is an underground "stream" or the sump is just dipping into the water table.  The amount of water that I would be diverting to the garden would not be the entire outlet of the sump, and no more than in years past when I just used a timer to run a soaker hose inside the garden.

When we moved into this house I noticed the sump was running like every 20 minutes.  Turns out the ####### previous owners had the float set wrong, and had run over both ends of the cheap black plastic outside hose so it had fallen off and the sump was just recycling the same water constantly.   I buried a 4" perforated pipe with a slight downslope in the yard and currently have the sump dumping into that, put a 90 and a pop-up cap at the end so it drains to "daylight" and during storms the water can all get out.   There is a 2'-3' width of grass above the buried pipe that grows twice as fast as the rest of the yard.   That is what sparked my idea to run some of the water to the garden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Punxsutawney Phil said:

mostly St Augustine 

Be careful....some of those crabgrass killers will destroy St Augustine too....I learned that the hard way.  The one from Bayer seems to work pretty well though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, UOFI_316 said:

Do they make ball valves for the 1-1/2" pipe the sump outlets with? I have never looked for ones that large.

I do not think the water that gets to the sump/drain tile is surface water.   There have been summers where we have been dry for weeks and the sump will still run a few times a day (pre garden with no grass watering or other sources of water around the house),  I think we have the only full depth basement on the block and my guess is there is an underground "stream" or the sump is just dipping into the water table.  The amount of water that I would be diverting to the garden would not be the entire outlet of the sump, and no more than in years past when I just used a timer to run a soaker hose inside the garden.

When we moved into this house I noticed the sump was running like every 20 minutes.  Turns out the ####### previous owners had the float set wrong, and had run over both ends of the cheap black plastic outside hose so it had fallen off and the sump was just recycling the same water constantly.   I buried a 4" perforated pipe with a slight downslope in the yard and currently have the sump dumping into that, put a 90 and a pop-up cap at the end so it drains to "daylight" and during storms the water can all get out.   There is a 2'-3' width of grass above the buried pipe that grows twice as fast as the rest of the yard.   That is what sparked my idea to run some of the water to the garden.

yes, ball valves readily available at that size.  This PVC, black pipe, something else?

 

Your plan sounds good based on what you wrote.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When buying the big ball valves it’s a good idea to test them in the store. I’m not sure why but some are very hard to open/close. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Afaik they don't make ball valves for ABS, I think that would be a specialty order 

*I assume it's abs because that's what code is here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Finally on to paint

Pic of 1/2bathhttps://i.imgur.com/n2NKqpl.jpg,

Dining room https://i.imgur.com/YOV9YlD.jpg

Full bathhttps://i.imgur.com/aCq1cex.jpg

Kitchenhttps://i.imgur.com/YBnf56v.jpg

Utility roomhttps://i.imgur.com/MwE3503.jpg

Walk in closethttps://i.imgur.com/boB5jb2.jpg

Bedroomhttps://i.imgur.com/9DtkGtH.jpg

Walk in closethttps://i.imgur.com/7y6Vo8g.jpg

Bad pic other bedroomhttps://i.imgur.com/jByMQFW.jpg

Family roomhttps://i.imgur.com/mDk4WLN.jpg,. Still a bunch of work to be done but it is coming.

Put in the upper cabinets by myself which was quite fun, lower should be much easier.

Edited by bucksoh
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2020 at 10:38 PM, Bossman said:

 

Directions say to "strap it to the cargo rack on the back of your ATV". So, not really designed for a lawn tractor. But I knew that going in.

On my John Deere lawn tractor, there are two arms that hold the rear bag in place;

Bag removed

The Sprayer frame sat perfectly on those two arms.

Sprayer in place

I bent two flat steel brackets at right angles and bolted thru existing holes in the sprayer frame ... and drilled a hole in each bag arm of the lawn tractor to attach the bracket with 1/4" bolts.

Not trusting those arms to carry the full weight of the sprayer and 16 gals of fluid, I fashioned a bracket out of some scrap that I had laying around, 

and attached to the farthest point of the sprayer frame, down at an angle to what looked like a tow hitch hole on the tractor. (red diagonal bracket in photo)

Finished Sprayer on Lawn Tractor

Seems pretty solid and the entire system can be removed with 4 bolts. So a 5 min job.

Also just ordered the mulching kit for the tractor so I won't be using the bag again until the leaves fall.

I gave it a whirl today. Mixed up the chemicals and made 6 gallons of eff u weeds cocktail. 

The sprayer worked as advertised and I felt like I was a crop duster. Went nice and slow to be sure I got a good coating on all those nasty weeds.

I went thru the 6 gal pretty quick just in the back yard.

Mixed up another 12 gal and got back at it. Front yard is a little hilly and the steering got a bit light in a couple of spots ... but no wheelies.

I may need some ballast on the front if I go the full 16 gal but jury is still out.

The wand came in handy too where the wife has flowers and around the deck where I didn't want any over spray.

An easy to reach lever on the pump cuts flow to the crop dusting boom when I need to use the wand.

Overall pleased with my purchase. Now just need to wait a couple weeks and see how much it helped with the weed situation. 

Is that one of those center-chute bagging Deere with the hard-shell bags?  I had one of those that I got from my parents for a hot minute when we first moved into our current house.  I LOVED that it didn't shoot grass everywhere and had two clean edges to cut with, right or left...but....I HATED how often that dang chute would clog with thick or damp grass.  It was also way too small for my 2.5 acres.  Took me 4 hours to cut the grass.  

Regardless - sweet modification.  Looks really good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Siblings and I inherited a small (900 sq ft) summer cottage after my mom passed nine years ago.  One sibling asked to be bought out right away, and so my wife and I have shared it with my two sisters and their spouses.  The property's been in the family for 97 years, and the current structure was built in 1964.  We've done some improvements over the last nine years, but with three family units trying to make decisions, and the two BILs being even cheaper Dutchmen than me, it's been slow going.  But my wife and I just bought out one of the siblings (an ugly affair discussed in a different thread about appraisals), and we're in the process of buying out the other sibling.  So with free reign, now, we had a productive weekend.  We went up to the cottage (near Rockford, MI) for a long weekend with wife's sister and her husband.  That BIL is very handy and has all the tools, so we sledgehammered out most of a 4' x 4' back stoop and built a new, larger stoop using wolmanized wood.  Since we were buying supplies anyway, we also replaced all the deck boards on the front 10' x 12' front porch as well as the rotting railings.  BIL also brought his pressure washer and gave a much needed washing to all the vinyl siding.  Through all this, my wife and SIL did a lot of cleanup inside and out.  We also initiated a quote to upgrade the electrical system so we can use a portable A/C unit to cool the bedrooms before bedtime.  Our new money pit. :headbang:

  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone ever convert the area under a staircase into a storage area?  We have a two layer staircase, and thinking about making a small doorway to utilize that space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Fat Nick said:

Is that one of those center-chute bagging Deere with the hard-shell bags?  I had one of those that I got from my parents for a hot minute when we first moved into our current house.  I LOVED that it didn't shoot grass everywhere and had two clean edges to cut with, right or left...but....I HATED how often that dang chute would clog with thick or damp grass.  It was also way too small for my 2.5 acres.  Took me 4 hours to cut the grass.  

Regardless - sweet modification.  Looks really good!

Yup.

I also like the fact that, without the side chute, I can cut close to trees or any structure from either side of the mower.

I found that the grass has to be completely dry or the center chute plugs up very easy. I've ordered the mulching kit which plugs the chute now anyway.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rascal said:

Anyone ever convert the area under a staircase into a storage area?  We have a two layer staircase, and thinking about making a small doorway to utilize that space.

I did this in my previous house.  Only it was a combo "storage" and "fort" for the kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

Siblings and I inherited a small (900 sq ft) summer cottage after my mom passed nine years ago.  One sibling asked to be bought out right away, and so my wife and I have shared it with my two sisters and their spouses.  The property's been in the family for 97 years, and the current structure was built in 1964.  We've done some improvements over the last nine years, but with three family units trying to make decisions, and the two BILs being even cheaper Dutchmen than me, it's been slow going.  But my wife and I just bought out one of the siblings (an ugly affair discussed in a different thread about appraisals), and we're in the process of buying out the other sibling.  So with free reign, now, we had a productive weekend.  We went up to the cottage (near Rockford, MI) for a long weekend with wife's sister and her husband.  That BIL is very handy and has all the tools, so we sledgehammered out most of a 4' x 4' back stoop and built a new, larger stoop using wolmanized wood.  Since we were buying supplies anyway, we also replaced all the deck boards on the front 10' x 12' front porch as well as the rotting railings.  BIL also brought his pressure washer and gave a much needed washing to all the vinyl siding.  Through all this, my wife and SIL did a lot of cleanup inside and out.  We also initiated a quote to upgrade the electrical system so we can use a portable A/C unit to cool the bedrooms before bedtime.  Our new money pit. :headbang:

I remember the original thread. So glad you got it worked out as best as it could be. I hate when #### like this ruptures families and friends.

Anyway, post some pics of the improvements when you can!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rascal said:

Anyone ever convert the area under a staircase into a storage area?  We have a two layer staircase, and thinking about making a small doorway to utilize that space.

What do you mean by "two layer staircase"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gonna replace/modify most of the sprinkler heads in 4 zones. One zone is going to become exclusively drip for a flower bed. We might add another zone down the road for a flower bed with drip as well, but not right now. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Uruk-Hai said:

What do you mean by "two layer staircase"?

It has a turn in the middle.  8 steps, turns 90 degrees, 8 more steps

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moved in to a new house and it appears the pressure to the water spigots is too high.  Couple of questions about this:

1. Is there typically only the one water pressure valve that I can adjust or is it possible there’s one specifically for the outside spigots?

2. Can I adjust the pressure with the water on or should I shut it off first?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Moved in to a new house and it appears the pressure to the water spigots is too high.  Couple of questions about this:

1. Is there typically only the one water pressure valve that I can adjust or is it possible there’s one specifically for the outside spigots?

2. Can I adjust the pressure with the water on or should I shut it off first?

Is it city water?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

Moved in to a new house and it appears the pressure to the water spigots is too high.  Couple of questions about this:

1. Is there typically only the one water pressure valve that I can adjust or is it possible there’s one specifically for the outside spigots?

2. Can I adjust the pressure with the water on or should I shut it off first?

Buy one of these.

Screw it on an exterior hose bib, preferable the closest one to the water main.

 Open the valve, make sure it's not leaking or add some teflon tape. (Can stretch out a plastic grocery bag if you dont have the tape)

Leave it overnight. The next day take notice of the red arrow. That will tell you the max pressure. Max pressure should be between 45- 80 psi. Too much higher than that and you could have some leaks. You can possibly adjust your water pressure valve if you have one. Check you pressure first, then come back or hit youtube. 

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Buy one of these.

Screw it on an exterior hose bib, preferable the closest one to the water main.

 Open the valve, make sure it's not leaking or add some teflon tape. (Can stretch out a plastic grocery bag if you dont have the tape)

Leave it overnight. The next day take notice of the red arrow. That will tell you the max pressure. Max pressure should be between 45- 80 psi. Too much higher than that and you could have some leaks. You can possibly adjust your water pressure valve if you have one. Check you pressure first, then come back or hit youtube. 

This

 

speak w data...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking to paint the interior of my house...does anyone recommend the use of a sprayer?  I also have a rental so could get multiple uses out of it if it is expensive.  I have read too many reviews saying they are difficult to clean or don't last.  Was hoping for some first hand recommendations or experiences.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2020 at 11:24 AM, AAABatteries said:

Moved in to a new house and it appears the pressure to the water spigots is too high.  Couple of questions about this:

1. Is there typically only the one water pressure valve that I can adjust or is it possible there’s one specifically for the outside spigots?

2. Can I adjust the pressure with the water on or should I shut it off first?

Too high for what?  I heard of too low, for instance with a sprinkler system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Current and immediate future projects:

  • With COVID and the demand on wifi in my house, was using a wired ethernet cable from our router to my workstation, but with kids out of remote school, will be moving from my current workstation (our dining room) to our office (where I had the kids set up for school). Instead of snaking the wire all around again, I went into our crawlspace, drilled a few holes, and ran the cable from our our router down through the crawlspace and up and out again into the office. PITA but straight forward and easy, and avoided paying someone else to do a job we could do ourselves
  • redecorating our "toy room" to a more conducive gaming room for my kids, buying new sofas for our living room (pure redcorating, no real handyman type project
  • At some point this spring will remulch our entire yard
  • removing existing pebble coverage along the side of my house, regrading the surface, then laying down new pebbles
  • replacing all the windows in the exposure my house has to the street. House built in 1994, and while no obvious leaks they wood are drafty and could use replacement to more efficient double paned vinyl windows
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2020 at 12:55 PM, NutterButter said:

Too high for what?  I heard of too low, for instance with a sprinkler system.

Sorry - I didn’t explain well. Both spigots have a high pitched noise coming from them when turned on.  One of the two has water shoot out of it when you turn the water off.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, bucksoh said:

Forgot to add this pichttps://i.imgur.com/kdbJjhQ.jpg

That thing gonna still be working in 2 years? It’s a good effort, but I worry about long term reliability 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, wilked said:

That thing gonna still be working in 2 years? It’s a good effort, but I worry about long term reliability 

It was cheap so probably not, just replace it when it goes out.  I'll hopefully remember and let you know.  He wants to do the same for the projector, but I'll have to do that, since the Joyce's are the wrong way.

Edited by bucksoh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2020 at 7:07 PM, bucksoh said:

Unfortunately my weekend will involve installing these in a rental down in Columbus.https://i.imgur.com/YvZkkE3.jpg

You poor, poor bastard.  I hate those things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to figure out how to best install some wall-mounted cabinets in my garage. The surface is drywall that is attached to furring strips attached to cinder block. 

Should I use Tapcon screws through the furring strips into the block? Would that be enough to hold the cabinets?
Anchor screws directly into the block? How would that work with the gap between the drywall and the block that is caused by the furring strips?

Garage Wall (pre-drywall)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I spent 2 full days in smouldering heat ripping up and cutting out left over surface roots from 2 trees that were cut down.

Dropped all new top soil and seeded 

Fixed a sprinkler pipe.   

Turn on sprinklers for first time in 2 years, another leak.  

Try to dig up valve.  Can't apparently there is a 4 inch under ground root that grew under my valve, raised it up and snapped the pipe at the Tee.

So now I have been painfully digging out slowly, cutting roots trying to get to the pipe

What a freaking mess.

It might be 2 more days before I can dig all that out

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Working with an irrigation guy to change out most of my sprinkler heads out to MP rotator nozzles (mostly 1000 type) and adding flex hose. Also setting up 1 zone for flower bed as all drip irrigation. Moving a couple sprinklers with flex hose too. 

Edited by Osaurus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The girlfriend recently planted Milkweed in the yard, which attracts Monarch butterflies...well, she found 5 monarch caterpillars on the leaves a couple days ago, and they were gone yesterday...stupid lizards...so she commissioned me to build her a little safe enclosure so she can watch them turn into butterflies and then release them :rolleyes:

So we went to Lowe's, picked up some wood and screen to add to the scraps I found in the garage...a couple hours later, she has her....I dunno...butterfly hatchery? I guess?

Whatever. It gave me something to do today, and she's excited. 

:shrug:

Masterpiece

 

Edited by Wingnut
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.