What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (1 Viewer)

Live By Night. 

This movie pissed me off. It had everything there to be a really good movie.  And I'm not an Affleck hater so it wasn't even him to me.  They skipped over what would be the most important part if the 5 stories they were trying to tell in one movie instead of telling one really good one.

Live By Night. 

This movie pissed me off. It had everything there to be a really good movie.  And I'm not an Affleck hater so it wasn't even him to me.  They skipped over what would be the most important part if the 5 stories they were trying to tell in one movie instead of telling one really good one.
I have that DVRd and might watch tonight. Those type of crime neo-noir novels offer suffer when made into movies for the reason you point out. There are so many threads to the story that it's impossible to get them into 1 movie and even if you could, the point of the book isn't often the resolution of the story threads as much as the ambiance and character interaction. Most movies can't be The Big Sleep and have an incoherent plot carried by cool characters and great scenes. 

they hate cans
This scene had an enormous impact on me. I'd had two comedy plays produced and a syndicated scripted comedy show on radio at the time and actually sold jokes to standups, so i pretty much considered myself a comedy writer but i didnt feel i really "got" what you could do with the funny til this. I had gotten a lot of accidental tail on the road with rock bands in the 70s but was still pretty much a kid. Since i was usually more sober than my "dates", i'd wake up before them and i found myself loving looking at these little angels, girls who might still be in high school who would have been sooooooo out of my league just a coupla years before and to whom i'd just done naughty naughty things just for being flimsily connected to musicians they liked. It became my thing, looking at girls while they selpt.

Now Steve Martin fell for his movie gf in The Jerk and i know why - i met Miss Peters in her 50s and her skin still looked like it had been painted by daVinci. And somehow he used that, that he had the kind of crush where you just want to look at them all the time, to create one of the silliest, realest, sweetest comedy scenes i've ever enjoyed. I learned so much from that scene that my comedy writing career went very soon to hell....

This scene had an enormous impact on me. I'd had two comedy plays produced and a syndicated scripted comedy show on radio at the time and actually sold jokes to standups, so i pretty much considered myself a comedy writer but i didnt feel i really "got" what you could do with the funny til this. I had gotten a lot of accidental tail on the road with rock bands in the 70s but was still pretty much a kid. Since i was usually more sober than my "dates", i'd wake up before them and i found myself loving looking at these little angels, girls who might still be in high school who would have been sooooooo out of my league just a coupla years before and to whom i'd just done naughty naughty things just for being flimsily connected to musicians they liked. It became my thing, looking at girls while they selpt.

Now Steve Martin fell for his movie gf in The Jerk and i know why - i met Miss Peters in her 50s and her skin still looked like it had been painted by daVinci. And somehow he used that, that he had the kind of crush where you just want to look at them all the time, to create one of the silliest, realest, sweetest comedy scenes i've ever enjoyed. I learned so much from that scene that my comedy writing career went very soon to hell....
forgot about that scene... fantastic. big fan of taking a silly idea all the way and then some, the way he did with the counting. (I just linked SNL's supercolon blow commercial yesterday- my favorite part where hartman is asked to keep guessing, and just guesses the next sequential number works like that for me)

my first day in NYC, roommate and I skipped the college orientation stuff and went down to the village. almost bumped into andy warhol when we got off the subway, and then immediately saw dizzy gillespie (standing outside the blue note) who told us we should see his show there that night when we approached him (we did). I assumed every day in the city was going to be just like that, but I didn't see another celeb for a week or two- and it was peters, shopping in some store like a normal person. this was '86, and I have no idea how old she was- but she was transcendentally gorgeous.. even knowing she was likely closer to my grandmother's age than mine.

Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr: Would you read that back to me? I'm afraid that might make me sound pompous to your readers. 

Olsen: 'My brilliant research in brain transplantation is unsurpassed, and will probably make my name live beyond eternity'. 

Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr: Well, that's all right. Take out the 'probably'. It makes me sound wishy-washy.

Pennies From Heaven?
I've been writing a movie musical for most of this decade (after a couple of reversals, a voice inside me said, "write your Wizard of Oz", so i did) and, in its course, i've studied "Pennies From Heaven" as much as Sondheim. I anticipated PFH being possibly the best movie ever made - Martin being on such a roll and deciding to use it make a musical with a point (the very best thing ever in my book) - and suffered its crash almost as much as the filmmakers did. It has become my cautionary tale as i try to make fun of the human race & keep em singin' at the same time

So, my "The Jerk" recommendation didnt get any callback in here. Is that a dead flick to y'all Xs &Ys?
That used to be my favorite Steve Martin movie as a kid.

As an adult, not so much. It ranks far below All Of Me, The Man With Two Brains, and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

Mistress America

Noah Baumbach fans will like this movie. Hilarious college-life movie where a freshman girl is enamored with an older, sophisticated New Yorker played by Greta Gerwig. Not perfect, but I laughed out loud several times and that's enough for me to recommend this comedy.

Speaking of the holidays, the movie we watch every holiday is Christmas Story. No, not the American movie. Filmed in Finland, this tells the fable of Santa Claus' childhood. There's no one famous starring. But if you have kids 11 and under, this is a lovely, heartwarming family movie and it also features some incredible photography of the Finnish countryside. Highly recommended for parents.

Speaking of my 11year old, I have given up for now, but I spent a good part of the past year trying to convince him to try doing a podcast with me.  There are so many out there, but I never have heard one with a kid on it, and thought it could be funny.  Basically the premise was since we are 30 years apart, we would watch movies that came out 30 years ago or earlier - basically stuff that I was watching at his age.  Maybe I will try again in a few years or see if he would do it if another kid was involved too.  (or just wait until my daughter gets that age if there are still podcasts ;) )

Speaking of my 11year old, I have given up for now, but I spent a good part of the past year trying to convince him to try doing a podcast with me.  There are so many out there, but I never have heard one with a kid on it, and thought it could be funny.  Basically the premise was since we are 30 years apart, we would watch movies that came out 30 years ago or earlier - basically stuff that I was watching at his age.  Maybe I will try again in a few years or see if he would do it if another kid was involved too.  (or just wait until my daughter gets that age if there are still podcasts ;) )
I like this idea. There's a lot of comic fodder in the age gap, because if you show him your favorite childhood movies he probably won't like them and that could result in some fun arguments.

I like this idea. There's a lot of comic fodder in the age gap, because if you show him your favorite childhood movies he probably won't like them and that could result in some fun arguments.
Yeah, the idea came from my fear of him hating Back to the Future (I still haven't shown it to him).  It's also fun on the adult end going back and watching some of the movies that I remember loving and seeing them with a parent's eye and thinking "wtf".  

I even told him it could be 1/2 and 1/2 -  one episode is an old movie, one episode I have to go watch something new like that Thor 3 B.S. 

Yeah, the idea came from my fear of him hating Back to the Future (I still haven't shown it to him).  It's also fun on the adult end going back and watching some of the movies that I remember loving and seeing them with a parent's eye and thinking "wtf".  

I even told him it could be 1/2 and 1/2 -  one episode is an old movie, one episode I have to go watch something new like that Thor 3 B.S. 
It's a very good premise 

Wife & I went and watched Murder on the Orient Express yesterday and both enjoyed it. Neither of us have read the book so went in "blind" to the story.

It is easy to tell that the book would be better as there just wasn't enough time to devote to all the characters in the story. It would be interesting if they release an "extended" version when it comes out on Blu-ray that allows more character depth.
But overall I'd give it a solid 3 out of 5. :thumbup:

Finally saw Baby Driver

Fun, exciting, with music well integrated into the action.

Sure it was a little silly in places, but I really enjoyed it overall.

A Ghost Story- Got suckered into this one thinking it was a horror film with decently good reviews.  It's a artsy film with Casey Affleck about a sheet ghost.  Has some loooong scenes where nothing really happens (5 minutes of a lady binging on pumpkin pie) and there was a good 30-40 min stretch with no dialog.  The ending is sort of okay and I suspect that that's where it gets the good reviews, my GF was super disappointed by it though. It thankfully came in at under 90 min but could've been wrapped up in 45. Some will probably like the pacing though.  

5 or 6 out of 10 for me

Wife & I went and watched Murder on the Orient Express yesterday and both enjoyed it. Neither of us have read the book so went in "blind" to the story.

It is easy to tell that the book would be better as there just wasn't enough time to devote to all the characters in the story. It would be interesting if they release an "extended" version when it comes out on Blu-ray that allows more character depth.
But overall I'd give it a solid 3 out of 5. :thumbup:
I saw the movie from the 70s.  We were torn because we had a big group of people.

I enjoyed it 

Saw a few movies over the past month...

Thor: Ragnarok >>>>>  Justice League

I'm not a fan of the super hero movies, but I'll go see them when the nephews and nieces ask us to take them.  The Justice League movie producers really need to take a step back and evaluate their movie making career. Thor wasn't a great movie, but it was funny and entertaining.  TJL - for the first half of the movie I had no idea what I was watching, for the second half I didn't care.

Victoria & Abdul

Great story, As a movie; average at best.

Murder on the Orient Express

God this movie was so slow.  Can't even recommend this as a rental.  Horrible. Really disappointing.

The  Florida Project

I loved it.  Great piece of independent film making and story telling.  Depressing movie, especially if you have people in your life that are portrayed in this movie. DeFoe is really great and the Mother/Daughter roles were played by no names, but award worthy performances.

The Foreigner

I'm almost embarrassed to say how much I liked this movie.  I had low expectations and came away very entertained.  Obviously not an award winning movie, but it was a good "revenge" movie.  Jackie Chan can still get it done.

The Mountain Between Us

Another movie that I got too caught up in the bad reviews. Didn't want to see it, but friends invited us out to see it, and we had no other preferences.  If two lesser actors were in this movie it may not have been as good, but Winslet and Elba were very good together.  It had more than a couple of moments that put you on the edge of your seat.  I liked it a lot.  Very entertaining movie.  I recommend it.

Thor: Ragnarok

I heard some things about this movie going in.  And if people think Justice League is far worse, then its gotta be pretty bad.  They forced the humor in this movie so hard it probably because the plot was so weak imo.  One of my least favorite Marvel movies to date.  2.5/5.

Coco... flat out gorgeous to look at- worth seeing for that if you're a fan of animation. the pacing was decent, but the story was a retread of the book of life and corpse bride (minus the love angle) and the songs weren't memorable even though one of them has a name something about remembering. I'm underselling this... it's decent, but I think I've heard it's getting rave reviews and for me it's not a rave. the kids liked it... but they're morons.

I was listening to /Film podcast and it's interesting that Rian Johnson is getting another trilogy of Star Wars movies.  Like they said, I think that probably means they REALLY like what he did with Ep 8, which makes me all the more geeked to see that next month.  I am a little disappointed that they brought Abrams back for 9 though - it seems like he is better at reenergizing a franchise than going on with it.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Coco... flat out gorgeous to look at- worth seeing for that if you're a fan of animation. the pacing was decent, but the story was a retread of the book of life and corpse bride (minus the love angle) and the songs weren't memorable even though one of them has a name something about remembering. I'm underselling this... it's decent, but I think I've heard it's getting rave reviews and for me it's not a rave. the kids liked it... but they're morons.
How far as Pixar fallen?  They used to be must see, best of the year type movies, but even they seemed to have run out of material.  I enjoy Inside Out more and more as I watch it, but Brave, Good Dinosaur, and the sequels have been quite underwhelming for me over the last decade.  Interesting to read your take on Coco because that was my thought when I saw the preview - that it looked like Book of Life.  

How far as Pixar fallen?  They used to be must see, best of the year type movies, but even they seemed to have run out of material.  I enjoy Inside Out more and more as I watch it, but Brave, Good Dinosaur, and the sequels have been quite underwhelming for me over the last decade.  Interesting to read your take on Coco because that was my thought when I saw the preview - that it looked like Book of Life.  
my son walked out of coco and gave a point by point comparison of the two, and just how much coco had aped. I was pretty impressed (by my son's comparative abilities, not the cynical story-grab by pixar).

Users who are viewing this thread