What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (2 Viewers)

Enjoyed Upgrade on Prime. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/upgrade_2018

some grisly kills, good action, to go along with a technology and AI future story line.
4 out 5 :thumbup:
I watched this last night also and it was decent. I liked the stiff computer-controlled fighting style. I'm not sure I can make the overall scheme make sense to me. It had one more plot twist than I expected and I'm not sure I could backdate all the actions by relevant characters based on that plan. The ending also made it seem like there was a wide-open future for one of the characters, but it seemed more like there would be a ring of police waiting outside to me.

some grisly kills, good action, to go along with a technology and AI future story line.
I watched this last night also and it was decent. I liked the stiff computer-controlled fighting style. I'm not sure I can make the overall scheme make sense to me. It had one more plot twist than I expected and I'm not sure I could backdate all the actions by relevant characters based on that plan. The ending also made it seem like there was a wide-open future for one of the characters, but it seemed more like there would be a ring of police waiting outside to me.
If you are speaking about what I think you are.. I don't remember her sharing her suspicion to anyone, nor calling for backup. :oldunsure:

Also, everyone that that knows the chair is a plot device is dead, or his Mom, and she already spilled her guts out.

If you are speaking about what I think you are.. I don't remember her sharing her suspicion to anyone, nor calling for backup. :oldunsure:

Also, everyone that that knows the chair is a plot device is dead, or his Mom, and she already spilled her guts out.
All those drones, all that tracking, the chips in everyone... they know where she went. I'm sure that when she got her cop car destroyed, she had to tell the story of whom she was chasing at the time, had to have put him on an arrest list at that point.

Lots of rain and blah weather last night and today so for Memorial Day watched:

• A Force of Arms (51) starring William Holden directed by Michael Curtiz. A soldier falls for a WAC in Italy so we get half love story and half combat. The love story is ok but the battle scenes are well done. Real good action for '51 in what I can best describe as a solid unofficial take on Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms. It's dark, serious and definitely not propaganda.

• The Story of GI Joe (45) William Wellman cast Burgess Meredith and Robert Mitchum (in his break through role and only Academy nominated performance). Meredith plays war correspondant Ernie Pyle who wrote Pulitzer Prize winning accounts of the grunts on the frontline of the war. Pyle helped with the production of the movie (though he died in Okinawa a month before the movie's release- along with many of the cast members who were actual members of the US military). It's got a very Band of Brothers quality to it. I can see this being very influential on the war genre all the way to Saving Private Ryan. It's got good action but perhaps because the war was still ongoing when it was produced and released, this isn't as dark and is a bit more propaganda than A Force of Arms.

• Born on the 4th of July (89) I hadn't seen this since the ealry 90s and I was way way too young for it. Cruise gives a great performance and transforms himself in a way I am not sure we've seen since. I don't think this was the best movie of 1989 but it certainly is better than Driving Miss Daisy and probably deserves to be talked about more than it is today. Oddly it reminded me quite a bit of Forrest Gump. This is perhaps Forrest Gump for adults lol.

Watched Abigail today

A little bit of everything on this one

Suspenseful, funny, gory, poignant

Even ballet

I'm sure they'll make another one

4/5 for what it is

The Bricklayer on Netflix is a decent enough spy thriller. You've seen this story before: a former CIA agent gets brought back in for one last case to settle a past score. Of course, he gets paired up with a rookie female agent who's strictly by the book. The macguffin is some evidence to discredit the agency and somehow lead to World War III.

Fortunately, the cliched plot just serves as a mean to get the movie between action sequence. Veteran director Renny Harlin who directed Stallone blockbusters back in the 90s does a solid job of blocking and shooting the fight scenes with a visceral oomph. The only disappointment is a car chase that seems constrained by the film's budget. Aaron Eckhart plays the lead, growling his lines in a hoarse whisper like Batman. His character is mature and calm for an action hero which is a contrast to the brutality of the job he has to do.

Godzilla Minus One is finally available on Nexflix/VOD now for those who missed it in theaters.
Watched it last night. Enjoyed it fine but wasn't as blown away as the rest of the world seems to be. Thought it was a solid monster movie with some fairly rare emotional depth for the genre but probably don't need to see it again.

Movies I watched in May

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981 - G. Miller)
The Idea of You (2024 - M. Showalter)
Unfrosted (2024 - J. Seinfeld)
The Big Knife (1955 - R. Aldrich)
City Hunter (2024 - Y. Sato)
City Hunter (1993 - J. Wong)
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985 - G. Miller & G. Ogilvie)
Antitrust (2001 - P. Howitt)
The Geisha Boy (1958 - F. Tashlin)
Two Days in Another Town (1962 V. Minnelli)
The Iron Claw (2023 - S. Durkin)
Jerry Lee Lewis: Trouble in Mind (2024 - E. Coen)
The New Barbarians (1983 - E. Castellari)
The Raven (1963 - R. Corman)
The Wild Angels (1966 - R. Corman)
Mister Cinderella (1936 - E. Sedgwick)
Taxi (1998 - G. Pires)
The St. Valentine’s Day Massacre (1967 - R. Corman)
Lorenzo’s Oil (1992 - G. Miller)
Sexy Beast (2000 - J. Glazer)

Twenty movies this month but I've already written a lot of them up here or in other threads. Outside of Lorenzo's Oil, my first time viewings were all pretty mediocre but Unfrosted dragged the average down considerably.

I expected more Film Noir from The Big Knife but got a very theatrical Hollywood melodrama with Jack Palance and Rod Steiger chewing the scenery. Two Weeks in Another Town was another movie about the movies with Kirk Douglas as a down-on-his-luck actor working on an Italian film shoot. It had its moments but was no classic.

Anitrust was a techno-thriller with Tim Robbins as a sinister tech CEO. The setup hooked me in but the story unraveled toward the end. I know Jerry Lewis is an acquired taste but The Geisha Boy delivered a handful of genuine laughs. Unfortunately they were wrapped in a package of sentimental goop.

Mister Cinderella was billed as a Screwball Comedy but the gags were more Slapstick than that. Jack Haley starred as a bumbling fool who posed as part of high society. Taxi was the original French action-comedy, not the American remake with Jimmy Fallon. It was mindless fun with some well executed car chases. Sexy Beast was a solid British gangster film with Ben Kingsley playing a tough as nails villain. It was good but I had to turn the subtitles on because of the accents.

I closed the month with three movies directed by Roger Corman (RIP). The Raven was too silly and inconsequential to be scary. The St. Valentine's Day Massacre was a very good gangster movie with a good performance by Jason Robards as Al Capone and a lot of narration that gave it more gravity than a typical B-movie. The Wild Angels is a biker exploitation film that lives up to its name. Bruce Dern's funeral is absolutely one of the damndest things I've ever seen.

Finally got around to The Holdovers and while it was a bit long and perhaps predictable, I really enjoyed it and if my wife wanted to watch it with me, I'd happily watch it again. I do love Giamati and think he's a bit of a one-note actor, but that note hits me like a minor chord and works with my brain similarly.

The St. Valentine's Day Massacre was a very good gangster movie with a good performance by Jason Robards as Al Capone and a lot of narration that gave it more gravity than a typical B-movie
Awesome movie, glad someone else has seen it and liked it.

The St. Valentine's Day Massacre was a very good gangster movie with a good performance by Jason Robards as Al Capone and a lot of narration that gave it more gravity than a typical B-movie
Awesome movie, glad someone else has seen it and liked it.

There's a good ad-free HD print of the film on YouTube. It's nowhere near as good or as influential but it's kind of interesting that it came out six weeks before Bonnie & Clyde in 1967. They share an anti-establishment disposition. I don't believe the law ever makes an appearance in The St. Valentine's Day Massacre, except for the fake cops at the end.

I watched Snack Shack (rental) and Dinner in America (Hulu), both from director Adam Rehmeier.

Dinner in America bludgeons the viewer with vulgarity for act 1 before it becomes an epic punk rock rom com. The two leads give amazing performances. I highly recommend it.

Snack Shack is a coming of age in summer 1991 that hits nostalgic home runs for someone who grew up in a similar sized town. It also finds a lot of heart in the third act.

I'm excited to see what the director does next.

Seven Samurai restored in 4k and getting a theatrical release. And that official poster!...

That’s on my short list of must see in 70mm or at least a theater. I’ve knocked off 2001and will get Lawrence this summer. Maybe I get lucky with 7S and the 4K is available to screen.

Under Paris (Netflix) is a new shark movie set in the city of light. It's never really explained why a new species of gigantic fresh water sharks ended up in the Seine and the catacombs but something in the travel brochures must have caught their eye.

All your favorite shark movie character types are here: an oceanographer who lost her husband in a shark attack, a brave hero from the Parisian river police, a young climate activist who wants to help the shark reach open waters and a mayor who's more concerned about hosting a big pre-Olympics triathlon than in public safety. It drags a bit in the first hour but gets crazy as hell at the end. I'm a sucker for films shot in Paris and the CGI sharks aren't terrible which was enough to keep me entertained and amused as I rooted for the sharks.

Last edited:
Under Paris (Netflix) is a new shark movie set in the city of light. It's never really explained why a new species of gigantic fresh water sharks ended up in the Seine and the catacombs but something in the travel brochures must have caught their eye.

All your favorite shark movie character types are here: an oceanographer who lost her husband in a shark attack, a brave hero from the Parisian river police, a young climate activist who wants to help the shark reach open waters and a mayor who's more concerned about hosting a big pre-Olympics triathlon than in public safety. It drags a bit in the first hour but gets crazy as hell at the end. I'm a sucker for films shot in Paris and the CGI sharks aren't terrible which was enough to keep me entertained and amused as I rooted for the sharks.
Is it in American or French with subtitles?

Is it in American or French with subtitles?

It's in French but the dubbing on Netflix originals is generally very good.

This is going to be a really fun deep dive. One big movie blind spot I have is action movies. I just listened to The Last Action Heroes and that hammered this home even more. I loved the book, but there were so many titles talked about that I have never seen.

Here is just the start of the list I wrote down of movies I haven't seen all the way through: Commando, Cobra, Demolition Man, Cliffhanger, any rambo or Rocky besides the first, basically any Chuck Norris movie, and damn near 0 Bruce Lee or martial arts movies.

Summer is a fun time for this, so I am slowly going through these in between other stuff. First up was a rewatch of First Blood (a movie I way underestimate) while I wait for the squels from the library.

This is going to be a really fun deep dive. One big movie blind spot I have is action movies. I just listened to The Last Action Heroes and that hammered this home even more. I loved the book, but there were so many titles talked about that I have never seen.

Here is just the start of the list I wrote down of movies I haven't seen all the way through: Commando, Cobra, Demolition Man, Cliffhanger, any rambo or Rocky besides the first, basically any Chuck Norris movie, and damn near 0 Bruce Lee or martial arts movies.

Summer is a fun time for this, so I am slowly going through these in between other stuff. First up was a rewatch of First Blood (a movie I way underestimate) while I wait for the squels from the library.
Not the first action movies I'd reach for either.

I have a feeling there will be a few more turds than gems, but I also think I will have some fun on the way. As you can see from the list, I wasn't big on Sly for whatever reason so that's 1/2 the list. I never had much interest in martial arts movies either, but in my old age I seem to appreciate the practical aspect of movies more and more, so I think I will find more gems in that arena. I figure I will watch a handful of 80s movies, go on to early 90s, then dabble in stuff like The Expendables with the same dudes.

The action movies I usually like are hybrids like Aliens, T2, Terminator. Not the stereotypical straight up action like some of those listed above.

For all you Muppet nostalgia fans
Jim Henson Idea Man documentary by Ron Howard is worth the watch

It's on Disney+

Adagio (Netflix) is a 2023 Italian crime drama directed by Stefano Sollima, best known for Gomorrah and the Sicario sequel. The title is a musical notation meaning slow tempo which is fitting because Sollima definitely plays it more for atmosphere than action. The fights and shootouts that do take place are brief and brutal.

The movie takes place a modern Rome beset by wildfires and electrical blackouts. It's beautifully filmed with a palette dominated by stark blues and yellows. My biggest issue even more than the pacing was the motivation for the entire plot seemed forced--the story revolves around a teenager hustler who botches a surveillance and is pursued by the cops and crooks. It's never explained why they risk everything over such a small timer. Once I got past that, the movie is a pretty good albeit bleak two hours with a bunch of memorable characters portrayed by excellent actors.

It's in Italian with subtitles only; there are no other language options. I didn't mind this because the film is a lot more visual than verbal.

Seems like a cool approach would be to go chronologically, see the progression of the genre. If you jump directly in at The Raid: Redeption, there's no point in watching most movies before then.

Users who are viewing this thread