What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (1 Viewer)

However, there were many times in this movie where the bad guy(s) just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

5 minute car chase ends and enter bad guy(s) rolling up on the scene. Happened too many times. 
you're watching the wrong kind of movie if you want that kind of airtight storytelling.

Did some more advance 1978 research for KP’s polls tonight with “Blue Collar.” Stars Richard Pryor (in a dramatic role) and Harvey Keitel.  Movie is a bit heavy on issues dealing with class, race, and union/labor relations, but with some lighter moments in there too. 

Pretty solid movie. I could see it slotting in right after my top three (Days of Heaven, Deer Hunter, and Animal House).

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Tim Roth, and I am a punk movement fan, so I decided to watch "Made In Britan".  

I am about 40 minutes and I want to travel back in time to either:

- go 40 minutes and not watch this

- go back to '82 and billy club Tim Roth's throat

- burn down the director and producer's homes

Did some more advance 1978 research for KP’s polls tonight with “Blue Collar.” Stars Richard Pryor (in a dramatic role) and Harvey Keitel.  Movie is a bit heavy on issues dealing with class, race, and union/labor relations, but with some lighter moments in there too. 

Pretty solid movie. I could see it slotting in right after my top three (Days of Heaven, Deer Hunter, and Animal House).
Easily my #1 and a 30pt movie.  

Just saw 8th Grade in the theatres today.  Written and directed by comedian Bo Burnham.  I want to recommend this one to all the FBGbros that enjoyed Ladybird.  It was similar, but probably more chuckles.  Great performances all around.  Not sure why these coming of age girl stories hit me so hard (though they're the only 2 I can think of really), but they do.  Bo is kind of hit or miss for me on his standup/songs, but he's undeniably intelligent and he wrote and directed a really good movie here.  "Charming" is the word I would use for it.  Recommended. 

you're watching the wrong kind of movie if you want that kind of airtight storytelling.
I agree. But I have a hard time seeing 90%+ on Rotten Tomatoes when a movie has so many blatant examples. 

By no means am I saying it's a bad movie. It was very good. But a few of them were like  :rolleyes:

We watched Amy, the documentary about Amy Winehouse. Such a sad story. No one really around her to help her, only users. Not that she doesn't deserve some of the blame for her actions, I doubt she was easy to deal with at times. But damn, that boyfriend and her father really were bad influences. Couldn't anyone at least set her up in a gated home where she could have a little peace and quiet? What a voice.

We watched Amy, the documentary about Amy Winehouse. Such a sad story. No one really around her to help her, only users. Not that she doesn't deserve some of the blame for her actions, I doubt she was easy to deal with at times. But damn, that boyfriend and her father really were bad influences. Couldn't anyone at least set her up in a gated home where she could have a little peace and quiet? What a voice.
As a monstrous Winehouse fan and one who mourns music's loss of her more than any since Hendrix, I was disappointed that the doc was so much more focused on the gossipy crap than the musical aspect but realized that was where the footage was. Still, a better understanding of what we lost might have helped up & comers see what fertile ground she worked.

The Spy who dumped me B+

Fun movie.  Minis and McKinnon had great chemistry together.

Bummer the only nudity was a guys junk :X

But I am still thinking about where Mila put the flash drive 

I rewatched 2001 in the last few years- but on my TV. Wanted to use the last scenes (a groovy living quarters) as reference point for an apartment I was doing. Holds up really well

Would love to see it on big screen

I went to put on "Safety Last!" which I had recorded during TCM's Harold Lloyd day.  I then discovered my wife deleted it because she thought it was some weird thing my 2 year old had accidentally recorded while playing with the remote (which he does from time to time).

Put on "All the President's Men" instead.  I can't remember if I've ever watched it before, which seems odd, as I am a bit of a presidential history nerd and have enjoyed other stuff about Nixon/Watergate (like Frost/Nixon, ****, and Oliver Stone's movie).  Nixon is up next in my quest to read Presidential biographies in consecutive order, so it seemed an appropriate time to watch.  Pretty great film that holds up to its reputation; more thrilling than I thought a movie mostly focused on reporters cold calling people would be.

I am far happier at 51 than I was at 18. So youth isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Yeah I was just teasing. I agree that I am way happier at 36 than I was at 26 or 16. Although there are 1 or 2 things physically that aren't what they used to be (before you ask, my penis works great). 

I rewatched 2001 in the last few years- but on my TV. Wanted to use the last scenes (a groovy living quarters) as reference point for an apartment I was doing. Holds up really well

Would love to see it on big screen
It was really something else on the big screen. It's a weird movie in that the story is obviously pretty sketchy, the acting is ok but the visuals and the sound design are some of the best ever filmed. I can't even imagine what that was like in 68. It had to blow everything away by light years. We had a packed house, livley crowd that cheered at the start of the film. Also the theater is super cool. It was built in 1928 and has a Japanese motiff so it looks like you are an outdoor Kabuki theater (even has twinkiling stars in the ceiling). I will definitely be going back for Film Noir Fest in September. 

I went to put on "Safety Last!" which I had recorded during TCM's Harold Lloyd day.  I then discovered my wife deleted it because she thought it was some weird thing my 2 year old had accidentally recorded while playing with the remote (which he does from time to time).

Put on "All the President's Men" instead.  I can't remember if I've ever watched it before, which seems odd, as I am a bit of a presidential history nerd and have enjoyed other stuff about Nixon/Watergate (like Frost/Nixon, ****, and Oliver Stone's movie).  Nixon is up next in my quest to read Presidential biographies in consecutive order, so it seemed an appropriate time to watch.  Pretty great film that holds up to its reputation; more thrilling than I thought a movie mostly focused on reporters cold calling people would be.
I also DVR'd Safety Last and it was outstanding- the comedy holds up really well and the climbing of the building is definitely one of the better stunts I've seen. I would check it out if it comes on again. As for some of the other Harold Llyod films I have seen, none of them help anywhere close to Safety Last.

I saw it then (or maybe it was a re-release a year or so later), but I was a little kid (6 or 7). I think my mother - who took me - thought it was going to be like Star Trek, which I loved.

Oops  :D
I can totally imagine a lot of parents doing that. I assume given everything NASA was doing that lots of kids really liked space related things. I imagine a lot of them walked out at intermission and didn't come back.

I can totally imagine a lot of parents doing that. I assume given everything NASA was doing that lots of kids really liked space related things. I imagine a lot of them walked out at intermission and didn't come back.
Since Rock Hudson did the same, I don't think that was limited to kids.

Yeah, I was completely lost (I think my mom was pretty flummoxed, too). I'm pretty sure we stayed for the whole thing, but it was wasted time on me.

And you're right - anything space-related was a big deal then. Armstrong's walk was only a year away.

Yeah I was just teasing. I agree that I am way happier at 36 than I was at 26 or 16. Although there are 1 or 2 things physically that aren't what they used to be (before you ask, my penis works great). 
Teasing is mandatory. And thanks, because I was wondering how your penis was faring. 

Yeah, my dad took me and my brother to see 2001. Seeing that it was re-released in 1974, 1977, and 1980, I'm guessing it was 74 so I was 10. I remember being mesmerized by the whole thing, like nothing I had ever seen. Of course, loved the apes and HAL. Didn't understand much else.

Yeah, my dad took me and my brother to see 2001. Seeing that it was re-released in 1974, 1977, and 1980, I'm guessing it was 74 so I was 10. I remember being mesmerized by the whole thing, like nothing I had ever seen. Of course, loved the apes and HAL. Didn't understand much else.
Either that or 77 for me

Saw it in Cinerama (extra wide screen) when I was a kid. Amazing experience. But most of it went over my head.

I remember being excited to see it on VHS as a kid because of Star Wars and space stuff.   I don't think my parents even made it through the first act, and I got bored and played with toys instead.

I remember being excited to see it on VHS as a kid because of Star Wars and space stuff.   I don't think my parents even made it through the first act, and I got bored and played with toys instead.
I think I saw it prior to Star Wars... but basically the same result for me. I remember the opening caveman scene with everybody going crazy in the theater, and then... not much. I very well may have fallen asleep (especially if it was the 74 release). 

and after my Willy Wonka experience, I was pretty screwed up on movies my parents took me to...

Went into watching Baby Driver the other night with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised.....pretty solid. 
I thought it was excellent. The lead character was unbearably cocky, and Spacey's choice at the end is ridiculous. But the car chase scenes were some of the best I've ever seen. Music was great, too. So many movies that feature music don't seem to care at all about music.

Someone (ILov80s?) asked what was the first R rated movie you ever saw? This is an interesting question. I'm going to guess that it was probably Friday The 13th, Part 2 in 1981. Saw it in a theater. I saw a ton of old, scary horror movies before that. But those could have been pre-code.

My first R rated was Dawn of the Dead. I was 14 and me and a couple of friends got some old dude on line to say we were with him. I was a fanatic for the original Night of the Living Dead and there was no way I was going to miss this.

Someone (ILov80s?) asked what was the first R rated movie you ever saw? This is an interesting question. I'm going to guess that it was probably Friday The 13th, Part 2 in 1981. Saw it in a theater. I saw a ton of old, scary horror movies before that. But those could have been pre-code.
I am pretty sure mine was Nightmare on Elm Street on VHS.  My sister was watching me, but wanted to make out with her boyfriend, so they let me watch that since he didn't have much else in the house.  

I think the first I saw in the theater might have been The Dead Pool since my dad was a Dirty Harry fan.    Looked at the date and I would have been 13 here.  

I think the two most accurate ones are "pretentious" and "claptrap".
pre·ten·tious
prəˈten(t)SHəs/
adjective

attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

------------

So no. Kubrick wasn't pretentious. He was a serious artist who was interested in serious issues and human behavior. Kubrick's work displayed a voice that is pretty much unprecedented before or since. A master like Kubrick can't be pretentious. Who is he trying to impress?

My first R rated was Dawn of the Dead. I was 14 and me and a couple of friends got some old dude on line to say we were with him. I was a fanatic for the original Night of the Living Dead and there was no way I was going to miss this.
They premiered a new print of Night of the Living Dead here in my home town this year and I missed it :(  

pre·ten·tious
prəˈten(t)SHəs/
adjective

attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

------------

So no. Kubrick wasn't pretentious. He was a serious artist who was interested in serious issues and human behavior. Kubrick's work displayed a voice that is pretty much unprecedented before or since. A master like Kubrick can't be pretentious. Who is he trying to impress?
Um. Audiences?

A lot of superlatives have been hurled at 2001 throughout their years.

I think the two most accurate ones are "pretentious" and "claptrap".
It’s out there. Now when I first saw it, I knew what I was getting into. I knew it wasn’t Star Wars but was going to be bizarre. I think it is a movie that gains a lot of points being seen in a theater. It’s really impressive as a technical achievement but it’s a movie I will likely never watch a 3rd time because it is a tough watch.

First rated R movie ever for me was either Caddyshack or Excalibur - both on cable (we had the Z channel!). Either way, it was a good way to break the R rated ceiling. I  can't remember what the first R rated film I saw in a movie theater was.

I am assuming Nerds was rated R. I remember my parents rented it and we watched it. They made me cover my eyes during the scene where all the girls are naked. They always made me do this and I always peeked. That night I waited for them to go to bed and re watched it several times. I don’t know how old I was but it was definitely pretty young. Maybe 10? 

Users who are viewing this thread