What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (9 Viewers)

Because I knew it was leaving Netflix soon I thought as a "What the heck" viewing I'd watch "The Grey"

Can't believe I waited so long...

I kind of blame marketing as all I remember of the trailers was "Man tries to survive killer wolves".. But that is only part of the story and REALLY wish I had viewed this one in the theaters.. If you have not seen it yet, do so!! 4.5 out 5 :thumbup:

Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day.
:(
my take:

He was dead/dying the time. I think it was just him battling going on to the afterlife. Maybe i was just high watching it though.

Bird man 4.5/5

Pretty darn good, even with the hype and pretentiousness.

Hunger game mocking jay part 1 2/5

Not a huge fan of this series and this was probably the worst of the three. Watched it last night and I don't remember much of what happened.
:eek: Birdman was garbage.
And you didn't like the last episode of Better Call Saul. So while we agree that baseball is the greatest game on Earth, I think our opinions differ on TV/movies.

I finally watched Frozen with one of my daughters. It was just OK. I definitely liked the message of sisterly love breaking the spell instead of some schlub prince. The songs were mostly meh, was kind of over rated IMO. Strictly from an adult friendly perspective, kids love it and watch it over and over of course.

The Maze Runner was surprisingly entertaining - 6.5/10
Really? What was your opinion of Divergent or the Hunger Games movies?
Did not like DivergentLiked the first two Hunger Games

Something about The Maze Runner worked for me.
Two hours and the film ends up exactly where it started and the audience (and characters) still knows nothing about what happened or why.

The Kingsmen: The Secret Service

Lord what a kick-###, awesome movie. I think Samuel L Jackson was terrible as the villain. But these are some of the best action scenes you'll ever see in a movie. Fantastic.

Bird man 4.5/5

Pretty darn good, even with the hype and pretentiousness.

Hunger game mocking jay part 1 2/5

Not a huge fan of this series and this was probably the worst of the three. Watched it last night and I don't remember much of what happened.
:eek: Birdman was garbage.
And you didn't like the last episode of Better Call Saul. So while we agree that baseball is the greatest game on Earth, I think our opinions differ on TV/movies.
For the record, I didn't say I didn't like the last BCS episode... I just prefer them with more Saul.

On Birdman, yeah, your opinions on movies is awful :D

The Devil's Backbone

I liked this but can't say that I loved it. It might be because I was expecting it to be more of a scary movie but really its more about suspense and thrills. I think there is a pretty strong message about the things that scare us versus what should scare us. For me it was strong but just not amazing.

3.75/5

Shattered

I am a bit surprised by how much I liked this. It stars Pierce Brosnan, Maria Bello and Gerald Butler. While I would like to give some details I think this is a movie that the less you know before hand the more you will like it. Certainly not earth shattering, but better than many films I have watched lately.

3.5/5

Do we need to put out an APB on Jdogg? He hasn't posted in here yet and I am starting to worry that he may have decided to go down with the old RVMT - (RE).
Sorry dudes. This is my favorite thread, I've just been negligent.

Can I buy some flowers to make it up to you?

Boyhood

Can't remember if I posted a review. The movie is a slice of life, so those expecting some grand, dramatic epic will be disappointed. But I enjoyed the movie from start to finish.

Watched Taxi Driver, Scarface, and Gladiator the other day.

Taxi Driver is still an all-timer.

Gladiator is better and worse than i remember. Thought most of the movie was better than I thought, but the last 25mins or so ruins the mood for me.

Scarface is still a good watch, but think it holds up the least of the 3 I watched.
Taxi Driver could be the creepiest movie ever made.

I love Gladiator - including the last 20 minutes.

Scarface is very cheesy, but that doesn't bother me at all. A wonderful zeitgeist.

Some of my favorite foreign films.

(Sorry if there are some already mentioned here)

Beauty and the Beast (1947)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Death and The Maiden
Diabolique (1955)
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Downfall
Elizabeth
The Illusionist
The Lives of Others
My Left Foot
Pan's Labyrinth
The Seven Samurai
Topsy-Turvy
Y Tu Mama Tambien

Gladiator is better and worse than i remember. Thought most of the movie was better than I thought, but the last 25mins or so ruins the mood for me.

Scarface is still a good watch, but think it holds up the least of the 3 I watched.
Just for the scene where he takes her to the "movie". Add to that the rest of the weird #### he does.

Just for the scene where he takes her to the "movie". Add to that the rest of the weird #### he does.
...and that end shot where those crazy eyes look into the rearview mirror...

Shattered

I am a bit surprised by how much I liked this. It stars Pierce Brosnan, Maria Bello and Gerald Butler. While I would like to give some details I think this is a movie that the less you know before hand the more you will like it. Certainly not earth shattering, but better than many films I have watched lately.

3.5/5
Never seen this one but there is a 1991 film called Shattered with Bob Hoskins and Tom Berrenger that I really enjoyed at the time.

The drop

solid plot, Tom Hardy is a good actor. Totally forgot that he was bane. Respect to James Gandolfini

7/10

Chaka said:
joffer said:

Two hours and the film ends up exactly where it started and the audience (and characters) still knows nothing about what happened or why.
But an awesome ride getting there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chaka said:
joffer said:

But an awesome ride getting there.
meh. It was okay in that regard, nothing special IMO.

Faults

Loved this movie. Not for the explosion crowd but if you like twisted movies heavy on dialogue, check this one out. Don't read about it on IMDB since I noticed there's a big spoiler.

If that doesn't sell you it stars Scott Pilgrim's girlfriend, Liam Neeson's co-worker from the Taken movies, Lt. Daniels from The Wire, and last but not least, Uncle Rico.
Bumping this for people who missed it.

Chaka said:
Papa Georgio said:
Shattered

3.5/5
Never seen this one but there is a 1991 film called Shattered with Bob Hoskins and Tom Berrenger that I really enjoyed at the time.
I looked at the comments for this one and they seem to be all over the place. Some hated it and some loved it. I am almost sure I've seen the '91 film but I don't recall it very well.

Whiplash

4/5 - Loved it. JK was awesome.

Horrible Bosses 2 :bag:

2/5 - There were some laughs, but oy. Would still wreck Aniston.

joffer said:

Divergent was awwwwful - painfully obvious that the series wasnt written so much as engineered from what resonated with boyly girls and girly boys in the sparkly vampire and spunky survivalist series that preceded them.

Bullet to the Head.

With the cast that made this movie this should have been a solid popcorn flick of violence for a good hour and a half. But it wasn't. I found myself repeatedly thinking while I was watching, why am I watching this. It has to get better. It really does have to get better. Maybe the final fight between Rocky and Khal Drogo will be awesome. Nope. Not really.

Shame. This had potential.

wikkidpissah said:
joffer said:

Divergent was awwwwful - painfully obvious that the series wasnt written so much as engineered from what resonated with boyly girls and girly boys in the sparkly vampire and spunky survivalist series that preceded them.
Yep. A ripoff of a ripoff.

Papa Georgio said:
Chaka said:
Papa Georgio said:
Shattered

3.5/5
I looked at the comments for this one and they seem to be all over the place. Some hated it and some loved it. I am almost sure I've seen the '91 film but I don't recall it very well.
Fun movie with a good twist (or at least I thought it was good when I was a lot younger).

I enjoyed Red Cliff a lot too. I would recommend skipping the international version, which is only half as long as the original Honk Kong version.

If I'm reading it right, Amazon Prime has the HK version.

Conviction:

Pretty average and predictable movie with Sam Rockwell and Hilary Swank. Rockwell was great as usual and showed some good range, but the movie felt a longer than it was. 5/10

Users who are viewing this thread