What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (5 Viewers)

The Hunt

A man is falsely accused of molestation of a young girl. One of those movies where I felt just washed out at the end. It's sad and thought provoking and you can see just how quickly something can take on a life of it's own, also found myself angry at times too. Certainly not a feel good movie. It has an IMDB rating of 8.3.

4/5

I've been on a bit of a foreign movie run lately. I ride on a bus a lot and even with headphones I can't hear the commentary so I thought it was a good opportunity to watch some of the foreign movies I've been putting off. So far all have been excellent. I was wondering if anyone had some favorites themselves to suggest?
such a loaded question. So many good ones, and without knowing what you have seen. Must see ones off the top of my head:

Downfall

The Lives of Others

Pans Labyrinth

Infernal Affairs

Ameros Perros (sp?)

Oldboy

Chaser

Timecrimes

Mother

if you like horror movies:

Audition

Let the Right One In

The Orphanage

A Tale of Two Sisters

[Rec]
Those are excellent recommendations.

As a fan of del Toro I also really liked The Devil's Backbone

And of course we can't omit John Woo's action classic Hard Boiled (dozens of Hollywood big budget action films have ripped off Woo's style from this film).

The Hunt

A man is falsely accused of molestation of a young girl. One of those movies where I felt just washed out at the end. It's sad and thought provoking and you can see just how quickly something can take on a life of it's own, also found myself angry at times too. Certainly not a feel good movie. It has an IMDB rating of 8.3.

4/5

I've been on a bit of a foreign movie run lately. I ride on a bus a lot and even with headphones I can't hear the commentary so I thought it was a good opportunity to watch some of the foreign movies I've been putting off. So far all have been excellent. I was wondering if anyone had some favorites themselves to suggest?
such a loaded question. So many good ones, and without knowing what you have seen. Must see ones off the top of my head:

Downfall

The Lives of Others

Pans Labyrinth

Infernal Affairs

Ameros Perros (sp?)

Oldboy

Chaser

Timecrimes

Mother

if you like horror movies:

Audition

Let the Right One In

The Orphanage

A Tale of Two Sisters

[Rec]
I've seen the bolded and enjoyed all of them. Timecrimes has really stuck with me as one I really liked, but I am a sucker for time travel movies.

With no Football or Baseball, and my daughter 16 and out and about like a normal Teenager I'm finding a lot more free time on Saturday & Sunday's to watch Movies on Netflix..

"Identity" 4 out of 5.. Kept me wondering, much like the characters.. "What the hell is going on :confused: " Worth the 90 minutes..

Trespass with Nicolas Cage & Nicole Kidman 3 out of 5. Up until the last 15 minutes I'd have given it a 4 out of 5, but felt the director/producer missed an opportunity or two to make this very good rather then just good.

Come Back to Me Boy.. this one is hard to judge.. Based on the viewing up until the explanation I had it 4 out of 5 as I was constantly wondering "what the hell???"

Then the entire premise of the movie changed and now I may have to re-watch it knowing what I know now..

So I think I'll give it a "Incomplete" until I find time to re-watch it..

Side Effects Torn on this one.. going to go 3.5 out of 5 just to mess with you all ;) ...

There are so many story lines going on with this one that it almost felt like 2 or 3 movies combined into one.. Just so much going on but felt it was worth the watch even if it felt "rushed" at times..

Last one..

Blitz and was the worse of the bunch.. 2 out of 5.. So many ways this movie could have been better, but in the end it had the "Been there done that" feeling.. Not worth your time in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good suggestions for foreign films. I'm sure most have seen it and just forgot to mention it, but: City of God

Not mentioned

District B13 (Silly but fun Luc Beeson action movie)

Tell No One

The Secret In Their Eyes

Abre Los Ojos

Ran/Kagemusha/Seven Samurai (The best of Akira Kurosawa)

Das Boot

Hero

Of the ones mentioned I really like Infernal Affairs but Downfall and The Orphanage are my two favorite movies of the 2000's.
very good list here too.

Also just remembered:

Talk to Her

The three colors trilogy

The Sea Inside

Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Volver

Open Your Eyes

Not mentioned

District B13 (Silly but fun Luc Beeson action movie)

Tell No One

The Secret In Their Eyes

Abre Los Ojos

Ran/Kagemusha/Seven Samurai (The best of Akira Kurosawa)

Das Boot

Hero

Of the ones mentioned I really like Infernal Affairs but Downfall and The Orphanage are my two favorite movies of the 2000's.
very good list here too.

Also just remembered:

Talk to Her

The three colors trilogy

The Sea Inside

Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Volver

Open Your Eyes
frikkin tIGHt 'also remembered' list

The Mockinjay Part 1

Surprisingly decent given how awful the source material was for this one.
Saw it last week. Admittedly I was waiting for the people in District 13 to all start dancing like the dirty hippies Zion in Matrix 2. Overall I liked it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hot Tub Time Machine 2

So dumb. I laughed. Not as good as the first but if you like that one, you'll still enjoy this one.

Finally got around to seeing Gone Girl last night. Or rather... a female brought it over so we could watch it together. I'm not sure if I should hang out with her anymore. That being said... It really was a good movie. Good enough for me to forget that Ben Affleck was in it.
:lmao:

If it helps.. My wife and I will be married 24 years this June and the first Movie we ever saw together was " Fatal Attraction" :mellow:
No joke... as I was walking her out she said that we should watch Fatal Attraction next.

:shock:

Lucy

Wasn't really expecting much with this one, but it still disappointed. Horrible ending.

1.5 / 5

Based on suggestions and also a movie I have been wanting to watch for ages I have 3 movies loaded up and ready to watch on my bus ride today:

The Sea Inside

The Devil's Backbone

The Seventh Seal

Plan to eventually watch pretty much all that has been suggested here.

bryhamm said:
Lucy

Wasn't really expecting much with this one, but it still disappointed. Horrible ending.

1.5 / 5
there's so many bad comments about this movie that I'm already disappointed and haven't seen it yet. When I saw the previews I was looking forward to being entertained even if the whole thing was implausible.

The Mockinjay Part 1

Surprisingly decent given how awful the source material was for this one.
I felt the same way about the 2nd one.
yep. the rare "movie was actually better than the book"

Finally got around to seeing Gone Girl last night. Or rather... a female brought it over so we could watch it together. I'm not sure if I should hang out with her anymore. That being said... It really was a good movie. Good enough for me to forget that Ben Affleck was in it.
:lmao:

If it helps.. My wife and I will be married 24 years this June and the first Movie we ever saw together was " Fatal Attraction" :mellow:
No joke... as I was walking her out she said that we should watch Fatal Attraction next.

:shock:
Our first movie was Titanic. Which is perhaps scarier than Fatal Attraction.

bryhamm said:
Lucy

1.5 / 5
Up until the last 10 minutes 4 out of 5.. Last 15 minutes.. :X

Best thing to do is watch, and when the time left says 10 minutes shut the dang thing off.. You will be much better off. :welcome:

Based on suggestions and also a movie I have been wanting to watch for ages I have 3 movies loaded up and ready to watch on my bus ride today:

The Sea Inside

The Devil's Backbone

The Seventh Seal

:thumbup:

You got me thinking about how behind on my foreign movies i am. We just had another baby, so i am up late and cant have the volume up anyway, so might as well catch up on a couple foreign ones that i havent gotten to.

Saw The Judge and Calvary

The Judge had an all star cast and while long, is solid. Many subplots might turn off some people, but the acting and story are good.

Calvary was slow, thoughtful, with interesting, flawed characters. The scenery and atmosphere were exceptional.

One thing that the actors in these movies have in common, is that both Robert Duval and Brendan Gleeson never seem to be in a bad movie.

Dracula: Untold

This movie was destroyed by critics, mostly deservedly so. Mildly entertaining but mostly just slow and forgettable. Did well enough at the box office to expect a sequel which would be confusing if you haven't seen the first. 2/5

Broke Tooth Mountain :lmao:

The Sea Inside

The Devil's Backbone

The Seventh Seal

:thumbup:

You got me thinking about how behind on my foreign movies i am. We just had another baby, so i am up late and cant have the volume up anyway, so might as well catch up on a couple foreign ones that i havent gotten to.
It's such a nice change from the pomp of big Hollywood movies. I wish I could get someone else in my family to enjoy some of these with me but the minute they hear "subtitles" they lose interest.

I think Robert Duval may be the finest actor of my lifetime.
Guy is gold. I know he is appreciated but still I think of him as being underrated.
Completely agree.

Guys like DeNiro and Pacino, who overshadowed Duvall 20-30 years ago have essentially become caricatures of themselves while Duvall still demonstrates acting range putting out unique, high quality performances.

Bird man 4.5/5

Pretty darn good, even with the hype and pretentiousness.

Hunger game mocking jay part 1 2/5

Not a huge fan of this series and this was probably the worst of the three. Watched it last night and I don't remember much of what happened.

Watched mocking jay with my lady last night. Well, not all of it because we turned it off with 30mins left. Just awful. The box office milking by making the last chapter two movies is worse than the butchering of the hobbit.

That movie was ####e and JLaw was awful in it.

Two for the Money.

Pacino, Russo and McConnoughey. With a litte Jeremy Piven thrown in. A movie about gambling. With that case. Should have been at least a 3 out of 5.

If I give it a 1.5 it's just because I like all these actors in their other roles and feel bad for them for having to cash a paycheck for this crapfest.

Neighbors

Rogan, Effron and Rose Byrne. This had the potential to be fairly funny. A middle aged married couple seeing their youth next door and fighting their urges to not be grownups anymore, with some great college coed stuff thrown in. Should have been a solid timewaster at least that is worth staying on when flipping channels in the future. Should have. Could have.

I laughed my #### off at the airbag skit even though it went on a little too long. Up to that... not much. After that, not a single good scene or line with only about 5.7 seconds of solid coed stuff at the ultimate party at the end. And the epilogue was truly awful and way way way out of place. I'm more annoyed at how much this movie could have been funnier and how it just wasn't. It was better than Two for the Money though. Most movies are and will be. 2.5/5.

The Captive:

If you would have asked me about 15 years ago, I would have mentioned Atom Egoyan as one of the better directors working at the time. Now it seems like he is doing barely average (which this movie is) crime dramas. A far cry from movies like The Sweet Hereafter. 5/10.

The Theory of Everything 2.5/5

Didn't hate it by any stretch and the romance was good, but I was really interested in Hawking's science. Yet this movie barely touched on it. I get that it's more of a love story, but I thought making Hawking look more like the genius that he is could have made the movie better. Instead, I felt like I was watching a far-inferior "A Beautiful Mind".

Saw The Judge and Calvary

The Judge had an all star cast and while long, is solid. Many subplots might turn off some people, but the acting and story are good.

Calvary was slow, thoughtful, with interesting, flawed characters. The scenery and atmosphere were exceptional.

One thing that the actors in these movies have in common, is that both Robert Duval and Brendan Gleeson never seem to be in a bad movie.
After his work in in Bruges, The Guard, and Calvary, Gleeson has probably become my favorite current actor. Funny that most of the public mostly knows him from big budget stuff like Braveheart and Harry Potter.

Didn't hate it by any stretch and the romance was good, but I was really interested in Hawking's science. Yet this movie barely touched on it. I get that it's more of a love story, but I thought making Hawking look more like the genius that he is could have made the movie better. Instead, I felt like I was watching a far-inferior "A Beautiful Mind".
The movie was about his wife...or at least it was supposed to be before everyone went all weak in the knees for Redmayne's Jim Carrey impersonation.

Faults

Loved this movie. Not for the explosion crowd but if you like twisted movies heavy on dialogue, check this one out. Don't read about it on IMDB since I noticed there's a big spoiler.

If that doesn't sell you it stars Scott Pilgrim's girlfriend, Liam Neeson's co-worker from the Taken movies, Lt. Daniels from The Wire, and last but not least, Uncle Rico.

Mockingjay... Part 1

I'm invested in seeing these to the conclusion now but this was the weakest of the 3.
Weird. So far, it's the only one I understood. Maybe because not a lot actually happens.
you didn't understand the first two?
Having not read the books, I did not understand how certain functions of the in-movie world worked. I always left with questions. In this film, I did not. It was the first of the series that I felt you didn't need to read the book to know what was going on.

Can't remember the parts I didn't get about the first one. I know the dogs had something to do with it. Like, at one point, they're in the arena, and the person in charge orders some dogs out of nowhere to chase the contestants around. Were they real dogs, lowered from a hidden pit, like in the Roman Coliseum? Were they a hologram? Can they just create real dogs out of nothing? Or is it like the holodeck on Star Trek?

Stuff like that. Whichever was the real answer, though, was somehow contradictory to the in-movie universe, if I remember right. Like, if they can create real dogs out of thin air, why not create sandwiches and feed everyone?
sounds like you understood them just fine.

The movie was about his wife...or at least it was supposed to be before everyone went all weak in the knees for Redmayne's Jim Carrey impersonation.
I thought it was a David Cross impersonation

Because I knew it was leaving Netflix soon I thought as a "What the heck" viewing I'd watch "The Grey"

Can't believe I waited so long...

I kind of blame marketing as all I remember of the trailers was "Man tries to survive killer wolves".. But that is only part of the story and REALLY wish I had viewed this one in the theaters.. If you have not seen it yet, do so!! 4.5 out 5 :thumbup:

Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. Live and die on this day.
:(

Bird man 4.5/5

Pretty darn good, even with the hype and pretentiousness.

Hunger game mocking jay part 1 2/5

Not a huge fan of this series and this was probably the worst of the three. Watched it last night and I don't remember much of what happened.
:eek: Birdman was garbage.

Watched SwitchBack the other day.. Very different role for Danny Glover :mellow:

Some parts you do have to just go with and ignore the holes, but overall worth a watch.. 3 out of 5.

Users who are viewing this thread