What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (13 Viewers)

Does anybody else HATE scheduled rest days?  I just feel fat and lazy.  I'm gonna have to go to the gym tonight and at least do some core work or something.
What's a rest day? 

But seriously, back when I used to have them on my schedule I'd usually ride my trainer for 30 min, stretch and do core. I'm with you. Resting is not as easy as it sounds. 

Longer run tonight, gym tomorrow night, and longer run Thursday night.  Friday off and checking into hotel near race starts.  Kind of cool being around everyone else racing for the weekend in downtown Tampa.  This will be a first for me.

Ice storm today. The trail running gods are smiting me early in the week.  :lol:
we're just out of the ice storm portion of this season's program

probably upper 30s out there. all the ice has melted.

was not looking forward to shuffling along for a few miles tonight. 

What's a rest day? 

But seriously, back when I used to have them on my schedule I'd usually ride my trainer for 30 min, stretch and do core. I'm with you. Resting is not as easy as it sounds. 
How often have you been resting? if at all?  I stopped scheduling them, but I still take them when I feel I need them or if the schedule is just too full.  After reading your post it hit me that I swear I never see any off days for you.  I mean, I'm sure there are - it just seems every time I do the scroll there's at least one Hang 10 logged since my last one.

we're just out of the ice storm portion of this season's program

probably upper 30s out there. all the ice has melted.

was not looking forward to shuffling along for a few miles tonight. 
I feel for you guys west of here, but I feel like mother nature owed me one - we appear spared this time around.  I was worried about yesterday, but there was evening hope so I pressed my luck and bypassed the hamster wheel at lunch.  The junk got out of here in time for me to do an 8:30 stroll - 64 degrees at night on Feb 19.  Ridiculous.  

How often have you been resting? if at all?  I stopped scheduling them, but I still take them when I feel I need them or if the schedule is just too full.  After reading your post it hit me that I swear I never see any off days for you.  I mean, I'm sure there are - it just seems every time I do the scroll there's at least one Hang 10 logged since my last one.
My last off day was January 19th. I used to take Fridays off but when I had a race Saturday I'd do a shakeout Friday. Now I'm doing recoveries on Fridays. I feel really good tho, so I'm just sticking with the plan. 

My last off day was January 19th. I used to take Fridays off but when I had a race Saturday I'd do a shakeout Friday. Now I'm doing recoveries on Fridays. I feel really good tho, so I'm just sticking with the plan. 
That's the important thing.  And it's why I stopped scheduling them.  Sorta.  I still have that arbitrary 14 day number in the back of my head, but what it's done is it's caused me to ramp up the intensity of workouts if I near 14 days in a row.  "I am due for a rest day soon anyway - so lets test some limits and if tomorrow me gives today me the finger then so be it."

SteelCurtain said:
As strava showed, I handled it well.  All paces were 6:47 to 6:57. 
How much rest between reps?  I'm supposed to do 5 x 1-mile tomorrow in the low 6:20s, but with 4 minutes rest.  Still scary.

Hey, how did Saturday night go with the wifey and friends?  If you're still in the doghouse, take her out for dinner. Then you can really feel guilty - resting and eating a nice dinner!
Went fine.  I bought her flowers on Friday afternoon before I left for the gym and put them on the counter along with a note that said, "Thanks for tolerating my training."  That seemed to help a lot.  I stayed out with her until about 10pm and headed home, and she was perfectly fine with it.  She caught a ride home with her friends at like 11:30; if I'd known I only had to make it another 90 minutes, I could (and would) have.  But all is well.  Thanks for asking.  :thumbup:

Went fine.  I bought her flowers on Friday afternoon before I left for the gym and put them on the counter along with a note that said, "Thanks for tolerating my training."  That seemed to help a lot.  I stayed out with her until about 10pm and headed home, and she was perfectly fine with it.  She caught a ride home with her friends at like 11:30; if I'd known I only had to make it another 90 minutes, I could (and would) have.  But all is well.  Thanks for asking.  :thumbup:
Good man :)

Busy day at work tomorrow, and I didn't want my workout hanging over my head all day, so I decided to do my mile repeats tonight instead. Did a 2.5-mile warmup, then 5 x 1-mile at 6:19 pace, then 1.5 cool-down.

Per coach's instructions, each repeat was 6:22 pace for the first 3/4-mile and 6:11 pace for the last 1/4-mile. Recovery intervals were 4 minutes...half walk, half jog.

Overall felt good. Definitely could have done 1-2 more.

ETA: Traveling to Georgia for work on Thursday. Might actually postpone my rest day one more time and do Thursday's scheduled 10-miler tomorrow night just so I don't have to run in the 75-degree heat down there.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much rest between reps?  I'm supposed to do 5 x 1-mile tomorrow in the low 6:20s, but with 4 minutes rest.  Still scary.
I do 1/4 mile rest.  I go slow so time wise is probably 2.5 minutes rest.

i did those faster speed workouts earlier in the plan. Now they are a bit slower and going to be extended to 2x3 miles eventually.

Does anybody else HATE scheduled rest days?  I just feel fat and lazy.  I'm gonna have to go to the gym tonight and at least do some core work or something.
Yep. Or at least I used to, until this training cycle. Also we've had family stuff on my rest days recently so that sort of helps. 

Today is a rest day, I'll hit the gym, do some back work for half hour this morning then probably spin 30 minutes after work. I've been enjoying weights more lately than running, weighted pullups have become a favorite again. Last time I did them consistently was in Afghanistan with a belt, chain and plates. Now I just hold on to 25-40 lb dumbbells with my feet, 5 sets of 5 is the current target, will work up from there. 

It was upper 60's last night for my mini workout and I loved every minute of it. I don't mind doing workouts when it's warm. Running fast when muscles are nice and warm just feels better. 

It was upper 60's last night for my mini workout and I loved every minute of it. I don't mind doing workouts when it's warm. Running fast when muscles are nice and warm just feels better. 
Yeah, the guys complaining about warm weather running should try taking a north wind and ice pellets pounding their nipples for an hour.

Welp I was not planning on running the Marine 17.75k race on March 24 but the reminder of the sign up that fills in 4 minutes showed up this morning and BAM I got through. So revising my March 5k plan probably. Stoked to be heading back to the woods of Quantico where my journey really started last year. Still don’t think Marine marathon is my goal race this fall (leaning something smaller) but deferring entry MCM 2019 is a nice option. 

Finally got my first run of the year.  75 out.  This is my low temp for running.  I hated January track practice in Western PA.  I refuse to run or bike outside with a temperature under 70.  I have always been happiest between 85 and 90.

gianmarco--

I have never been fast at distance-  High School track hurdler.  I could run a 6:15 min mile in basketball shoes, freshman year of college.

10 years later I was running 5k at 24 minutes pushing a kid in a jogging stroller.

Now 10+ years later, I am trying to get my 3 mile time under 30 minutes.  I hope to get to a 24 minute 5k for the Turkey Trot this year.

Heavy rain ALL DAY LONG yesterday. So frustrating because it was in the 60's. Kept waiting and waiting for it to clear and finally had to do the treadmill. Only did 1 mile and almost feels like cheating only doing that little but at least tried to put some work into it.

This morning was back down to 28 and just ugly. But we went out and ran the park so I don't feel as bad about last night. Nicer temps in store from here on out for now but more rain next 3 days. I'm ready for spring.

You guys that continually train through this nonsense are nuts. Impressive....but nuts.

Life got in the way last night so either gym or run tonight and the same tomorrow night.  Leaning towards gym with incline on treadmill for fun and some upper body work.  I’m hoping to do well in my 15k and 8k, but I’m nervous.  Trying to stay relaxed and I should enjoy it.

ETA: High 70s/Low 80s at night now.  Summer is here.

Last edited by a moderator:
gianmarco said:
Heavy rain ALL DAY LONG yesterday. So frustrating because it was in the 60's. Kept waiting and waiting for it to clear and finally had to do the treadmill. Only did 1 mile and almost feels like cheating only doing that little but at least tried to put some work into it.

This morning was back down to 28 and just ugly. But we went out and ran the park so I don't feel as bad about last night. Nicer temps in store from here on out for now but more rain next 3 days. I'm ready for spring.

You guys that continually train through this nonsense are nuts. Impressive....but nuts.
At some point, grab some older shoes and go run in the rain.  Some of my most enjoyable and memorable training runs are in the rain without headphones or phone or anything. 

At some point, grab some older shoes and go run in the rain.  Some of my most enjoyable and memorable training runs are in the rain without headphones or phone or anything. 
Did this yesterday - had a huge park all to myself.  Only trick is what top layer to wear...  Too light and you potentially freeze; too heavy and it's a lot of weight.   Other than that, it's actually fun and a hell of a lot better than snow. 

Yeah but don't forget the band-aids for the nips. I do hate running in newer shoes in the rain, once they're soaked they're never the same.

Yeah but don't forget the band-aids for the nips. I do hate running in newer shoes in the rain, once they're soaked they're never the same.
One day recently I brought 4 different pairs of shoes because I had no idea what I'd need to wear 5 hours after leaving the house.  New shoes, old shoes, really old shoes (soon to be yard shoes), and yaktrax (strapped on last year's yard shoes).  

gruecd said:
Meanwhile I'm gonna run 10 miles tonight in 20° on my SRD specifically to avoid a warm run in Georgia tomorrow. To each his own. :)
This is crazy. When it is less than 60 here, I legitimately put on a long sleeve and gloves. All of my runs are early in the morning, and I prefer to run without a shirt, so maybe that’s why I get so cold. As you said though, to each their own. 

This is crazy. When it is less than 60 here, I legitimately put on a long sleeve and gloves. All of my runs are early in the morning, and I prefer to run without a shirt, so maybe that’s why I get so cold. As you said though, to each their own. 
Below 50 for me and the long sleeves come out.  Looks like low 70s for my Saturday race start at 6:45 am.  Sunday is pretty much the same for my 8k starting around 9 am.  I’m actually used to it these days seeing as I’ve only ever run in Florida.  I’ve had some pretty crappy race days, but nothing like our northern runners.  

It was actually really comfortable last night at 20° with barely any wind. Had a nice, easy run at 8:00 average pace and 132 AHR, which was just what the doctor ordered after a craptastic day at work.

Off to the ATL this morning for a quick in-and-out work trip. Didn't even pack my running stuff. My long run this weekend is only 11 miles (cutback week), and then I've got two more big weeks of training before the taper!

ChiefD said:
Yeah, the guys complaining about warm weather running should try taking a north wind and ice pellets pounding their nipples for an hour.
:excited:

Been there, I'll take the heat but don't have to like it! 

I doubt I'll run much this summer, it will be pool and bike. Just trying to decide if I can ride to work every day.  My clothes need to be decent and relatively wrinkle free. Maybe drive in Monday and Friday, leave clothes at work.

Users who are viewing this thread