What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (9 Viewers)

What do folks think of the Garmin indoor running numbers vs treadmill numbers?

i have a Garmin Forerunner 920xt and run with my HRM-Tri.  I typically don’t pay attention to the differences between the treadmill and the watch.

tonight the numbers were way off at the gym. Treadmill was at 1.5% incline and 9mph.  My watch had me pacing 830-845.  The treadmill was about 2.5 miles off after ~1hr.  I stopped the treadmill when it hit 10 miles, and my watch said ~7.5 miles.  Thats a significant difference.

if I go by feel, my guess is neither are right and it’s somewhere in the middle. 

How does everyone else manage this?
When I'm on a treadmill, I use the distance on the treadmill.  When I'm at the indoor track, I count laps and figure out distance that way.  

The only use my GPS to calculate distance when I'm outdoors.

Last hard pre-marathon workout is tomorrow:

3.5 miles at 7:10 GMP

4 mins rest

2.5 miles at 6:35-6:40 pace

3 mins rest

1.5 miles at 6:15-6:20 pace

2 mins rest

0.5 mile at 6:05-6:10 pace

Add warmup and cooldown for 10 miles total.

With temps forecast to be in the 30s, I'll probably do this on the treadmill.  Don't wanna risk pulling a muscle or something while doing speedwork outside in the cooler weather.  Especially not 10 days pre-race.  

This and I think that unless you’ve calibrated your watch & stride length (I have no idea how to do this) the indoor measurement will be off especially at faster paces bc it’s not using gps like outside so treddy is probably more correct. 
Yes, I agree with this.  Treadmill should be more accurate.

@JAA I never had a watch that I could use on a treadmill until I got the Garmin Vivoactive 3 a couple months ago.  I always just went with the treadmill miles which always seemed reasonably accurate when comparing effort level to outside running.  

I don't know exactly how your watch and equipment are measuring things but I did a cursory review of my watch and believe it is far from perfect.  I believe it is just computing things from cadence and stride length.  Cadence is from the swing of my arm.  Stride length was estimated from the user data I entered (height and who knows what else) but it asked me to "calibrate" after my first treadmill run.  I noticed I can also manually enter a stride length but I don't think I'll bother.  I think there is a flaw in all this in that how stride length and cadence increase at faster speeds can vary from runner to runner.  At various speeds, I noticed a difference of maybe 30 seconds per mile from what the treadmill gives.  I've seen it faster and slower.

I'm surprised by the magnitude of your difference.  I don't know your running history, but I'm surprised you can't narrow it down more by feeling the effort.  For instance, for me, 9 mph (6:40 pace) is a reasonably hard effort approaching tempo territory,  7:30-8:00 is a normal pace, and 8:30 to 8:45 feels annoying slow.  I don't need to look at anything to know approximately where I am on the spectrum.

Anyway, I agree that you should get outside more.

Last edited by a moderator:

4 mins rest

3 mins rest

2 mins rest

With temps forecast to be in the 30s, I'll probably do this on the treadmill.  Don't wanna risk pulling a muscle or something while doing speedwork outside in the cooler weather.  Especially not 10 days pre-race.  
Is the "rest", rest rest or just a recovery/endurance pace?

If its rest rest, i never got that.  I absolutely hate stopping a run and restarting.  Truly hate hate it.  .02

Yes, I agree with this.  Treadmill should be more accurate.

@JAA I never had a watch that I could use on a treadmill until I got the Garmin Vivoactive 3 a couple months ago.  I always just went with the treadmill miles which always seemed reasonably accurate when comparing effort level to outside running.  

I don't know exactly how your watch and equipment are measuring things but I did a cursory review of my watch and believe it is far from perfect.  I believe it is just computing things from cadence and stride length.  Cadence is from the swing of my arm.  Stride length was estimated from the user data I entered (height and who knows what else) but it asked me to "calibrate" after my first treadmill run.  I noticed I can also manually enter a stride length but I don't think I'll bother.  I think there is a flaw in all this in that how stride length and cadence increase at faster speeds can vary from runner to runner.  At various speeds, I noticed a difference of maybe 30 seconds per mile from what the treadmill gives.  I've seen it faster and slower.

I'm surprised by the magnitude of your difference.  I don't know your running history, but I'm surprised you can't narrow it down more by feeling the effort.  For instance, for me, 9 mph (6:40 pace) is a reasonably hard effort approaching tempo territory,  7:30-8:00 is a normal pace, and 8:30 to 8:45 feels annoying slow.  I don't need to look at anything to know approximately where I am on the spectrum.

Anyway, I agree that you should get outside more.
Thanks

The 9mph was a much faster pace then I typically do on treadmills.

Here is a track run where I was doing intervals with a much closer pacing to the 9mph:  https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2157011305

Here is the indoor run from yesterday:  https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2566452285

Stride length yesterday was reporting ~1.12 during the treadmill run and closer to 1.4 during the track run.

Sounds like a stride length issue.  Thanks folks

Is the "rest", rest rest or just a recovery/endurance pace?

If its rest rest, i never got that.  I absolutely hate stopping a run and restarting.  Truly hate hate it.  .02
Walking around rest, or as Coach calls it, "moving rest."

I typically walk for a little bit and then jog for the last 30 seconds of the rest interval so that I'm not going straight from 0 to 100....

Very much like the 7 Mile Bridge Race I’m doing in a few weeks, I was lucky to snag a registration for Disney’s Wine & Dine 10k on November 3rd.  I briefly thought about the Half, but I’m not there yet.  The course goes from the Magic Kingdom to Epcot.  It should be interesting.  No Turkey Trot for me this year in trade (although I might sneak in a 5k up the road).  

Wuddup, fellas. Sorry I've been MIA for so long. This isn't the first time I've been banged up but this is probably the most frustrating. There's never a good time to get injured but work and family stress has been insane for me the past month. Really sucks not having running as my outlet. But anyway, I'd figured I'd give you guys an update since I have a little more clear picture of what I'm dealing with...

So it turns out that my foot issue stems from damaged nerve in my ankle. And here's the real kicker, I didn't get injured from all the miles and I'm pretty sure I never mentioned it here but the Thursday before my 20 miler some jackass on beach cruiser had his hood over his eyes and ran into me while I was running. At the time, I just thought I was scraped up and bruised but didn't think it was serious but turns out that nerve was a ticking time bomb. That bomb went off during my 20 and I haven't been right since. After seeing numerous PT guys and getting no answers, I finally saw an orthopedist on Friday and his best guess was the bike trauma was causing the issue. He also said that it usually takes 6-8 weeks for a nerve to heal. I'm now almost 4 weeks from the injury. 

Anyway, I've been mostly riding my bike trainer, lifting and occasionally testing my foot out with a mile or 2. I'm trying to stay as fit as I can but it's tough without any upcoming races to look forward too.  And I'm sure you guys have noticed but I've set my strava/garmin stuff on private as I work through this issue. I guess I just didn't want the pressure of people asking about how I was feeling etc when the answer was "like ####" and "IDK when it will get better". 

It does feel like it's getting a little better but I have a ways to go. But I do feel bad for not coming around here more because it looks like I've missed some great races. Congrats on the huge PR @JShare87! Nice PR and race win @pbm107! I saw @Juxtatarot had a helluva half this past weekend too! I miss anything else? I'm sure I did. Hope everyone here is doing better than I am. 

After seeing numerous PT guys and getting no answers, I finally saw an orthopedist on Friday and his best guess was the bike trauma was causing the issue. He also said that it usually takes 6-8 weeks for a nerve to heal. I'm now almost 4 weeks from the injury. 

It does feel like it's getting a little better but I have a ways to go. 
Sucks to be laid up, but I'm hoping that the cure is as simple as 6-8 weeks rest.  You're getting off easy if that's all it is. 

Sucks to be laid up, but I'm hoping that the cure is as simple as 6-8 weeks rest.  You're getting off easy if that's all it is. 
No doubt. I never want to be forced to take a break but 6-8 weeks ain't bad.

I know you can relate but one of the main reasons I hadn't checked back in here is because I didn't know what the time table was because I had seen like 3 different people that didn't even know what was wrong with me. That's probably the most frustrating part. 

After seeing numerous PT guys and getting no answers, I finally saw an orthopedist on Friday and his best guess was the bike trauma was causing the issue. He also said that it usually takes 6-8 weeks for a nerve to heal. I'm now almost 4 weeks from the injury.
Sorry to hear that, GB. Here's to hoping that it's closer to 6 weeks than 8.  Keep your head up!

@Hang 10  That really sucks but hopefully you heal up soon and your cross training helps you maintain a good chunk of your fitness.  One point I'll make is I've noticed it's easier to get back to a level of fitness than to break new ground in the first place.  Accordingly, all this great training you've done certainly won't be for naught.

So I was using Runkeeper the last couple of years until recently when the GPS crapped out for some reason.

I finally downloaded the Nike app (NRC) instead and come to find I've been running quite a bit farther and faster than I thought, according to NRC anyway.

Which do I believe?  All my old stats from RK or the more recent from Nike?

To give you an idea of the difference, I run the same route of a little over 5 miles.  The NRC app slotted it at 6.  Big difference.  I'm ecstatic if the latter is correct but that was only one run and I don't know what to think.

I just want the truth!  Anyway, which do you guys use and why?  

So I was using Runkeeper the last couple of years until recently when the GPS crapped out for some reason.

I finally downloaded the Nike app (NRC) instead and come to find I've been running quite a bit farther and faster than I thought, according to NRC anyway.

To give you an idea of the difference, I run the same route of a little over 5 miles.  The NRC app slotted it at 6.  Big difference.  I'm ecstatic if the latter is correct but that was only one run and I don't know what to think.

Just playing around on a computer, you should be able to get fairly accurate using mapmyrun.com.  Certainly within a 10th of a mile. (Assuming you're running on streets, sidewalks, paths, etc. and not some unmarked trail.)

I can't handle the truth!   

oh, and just get Strava

Snowing here since yesterday and gym was closed until 10am - Now they’ve closed at noon and I’ve stopped by another local gym to borrow their treddy and they are closing in 10 mins. #######marchsnow. 

I didn't know what the time table was because I had seen like 3 different people that didn't even know what was wrong with me. That's probably the most frustrating part. 
@Hang 10, I'd agree with this ...the frustration of just not really knowing.  Good to hear that you do seem to have the issue identified and that you're moving closer to being back in the routines again!

Just playing around on a computer, you should be able to get fairly accurate using mapmyrun.com.  Certainly within a 10th of a mile. (Assuming you're running on streets, sidewalks, paths, etc. and not some unmarked trail.)
I did check it out on Google maps after and they gave me something in the middle.  I'm also going to see what my car shows.  I guess I'm just really surprised at the disparity.  How can apps be that far off nowadays?

Does Nike want you to think you are running faster and farther or some ####?  I mean come on.

Sorry to hear that, GB. Here's to hoping that it's closer to 6 weeks than 8.  Keep your head up!
Thanks, bro. I'm doing my best. Your marathon this weekend? How you feeling?

@Hang 10  That really sucks but hopefully you heal up soon and your cross training helps you maintain a good chunk of your fitness.  One point I'll make is I've noticed it's easier to get back to a level of fitness than to break new ground in the first place.  Accordingly, all this great training you've done certainly won't be for naught.
Yeah, I'm making due with the cross training and I do feel like I'm staying in shape, so mentally that's big for me. And yeah, I think you're right. If I can come back in a couple weeks, I still had good cycle training, I was just forced to end it sooner than I wanted. So I think I can carry some of the gains I've made over to summer training. That's my hope anyway...

@Hang 10 - my strava feed isn't the same without you on there every morning and night!  :hifive:

Hopefully you heal up quick and get back out on the roads.  In the meantime, make the most of the time on the bike! 
Thanks, dude. :thumbup:  

How's your training going? 

@Hang 10, I'd agree with this ...the frustration of just not really knowing.  Good to hear that you do seem to have the issue identified and that you're moving closer to being back in the routines again!
Especially because I'm a pessimist by nature. :lol:  

Going into an appointment and seeing the confusing looks on the doctor's faces is just the worst. It starts to feel like you'll never feel better. 

Thanks, bro. I'm doing my best. Your marathon this weekend? How you feeling?
Next weekend....10 days.  Feeling really good.  Confident.  I've been super strict with my diet the last few days, and right now I'm actually a few pounds below goal race weight.  I've got my last hard workout this afternoon, and other than a couple miles at GMP on Saturday, it's all downhill from there.

Next weekend....10 days.  Feeling really good.  Confident.  I've been super strict with my diet the last few days, and right now I'm actually a few pounds below goal race weight.  I've got my last hard workout this afternoon, and other than a couple miles at GMP on Saturday, it's all downhill from there.
That's awesome. Stoked for you. :thumbup:  

I put those pounds on for you. :porked:

I went to mapmyrun and they want all the log-in stuff.  I'll do that another time.  

Brony suggested Strava.  Is there not a run app that all you guys trust as an accurate gauge?

Hadn’t run at night in a while and slopped it up for an hour tonight over an ice fest in the morning.  Stress been getting to me and the quiet snowy run at least took the edge off.  

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
I went to mapmyrun and they want all the log-in stuff.  I'll do that another time.  

Brony suggested Strava.  Is there not a run app that all you guys trust as an accurate gauge?
I would Google "Google maps  pedometer" for a website that is pretty reliable for estimating distance. When you are done messing around with that, most of us are on strava and you can then join our fbg group and have your runs on display for pride and or mocking. 

• Smile
Reactions: JAA

I use my Garmin Watch.  I’m guessing most others in here use a dedicated running watch. 

In a pinch (watch battery is dead), I’ve used RunKeeper app.  I don’t recall it being wildly inaccurate.  

Why dont you find a track and run a mile with one app and then a second mile with a second app?  That should give you a pretty good indication.

Once you are into this running thing, a running watch is a good investment.  They range from fairly inexpensive to $500.

good luck!

4 mins rest

3 mins rest

2 mins rest

Knocked this out yesterday without too much trouble.  Felt about the same as usual for this type of workout....comfortably uncomfortable.  I'm ready.   :boxing:

This morning's run felt like I was on the brink.  I was able to barely do it, but not much left in the tank.  Thank god my last LONG LONG run is this weekend.  My legs are fried.

I'm actually looking forward to this last long run.  A local Boston running store is sponsoring (with New Balance) a bus from the finish line to mile 5.  And then we all run back from mile 5 to mile 26.2 on the Boston Marathon course concluding at the store (Marathon Sports) on Boylston Street.  Its an opportunity to run most of the course and should help me come race day.  

I'll drive up to Boston on Friday night and stay in a hotel in the suburbs and then catch the bus out at 7:15 a.m.  Hopefully running shortly after 8 a.m.  

A local Boston running store is sponsoring (with New Balance) a bus from the finish line to mile 5.  And then we all run back from mile 5 to mile 26.2 on the course concluding at the store (Marathon Sports) on Boylston Street.  Its an opportunity to run most of the course and should help me come race day. 
That sounds awesome.   :thumbup:   Enjoy!

For any of you needing new running clothes, there's a HUGE sale on clearance apparel (70% off) online at Joe's New Balance Outlet.  I just bought 2 t-shirts, 3 singlets, and a long-sleeve shirt for $86 with tax.  If you're interested in checking it out, PM me with your email address, and I'll forward you the email.  You have to click through the email to get the best discounts.

Wuddup, fellas. Sorry I've been MIA for so long. This isn't the first time I've been banged up but this is probably the most frustrating. There's never a good time to get injured but work and family stress has been insane for me the past month. Really sucks not having running as my outlet. But anyway, I'd figured I'd give you guys an update since I have a little more clear picture of what I'm dealing with...

So it turns out that my foot issue stems from damaged nerve in my ankle. And here's the real kicker, I didn't get injured from all the miles and I'm pretty sure I never mentioned it here but the Thursday before my 20 miler some jackass on beach cruiser had his hood over his eyes and ran into me while I was running. At the time, I just thought I was scraped up and bruised but didn't think it was serious but turns out that nerve was a ticking time bomb. That bomb went off during my 20 and I haven't been right since. After seeing numerous PT guys and getting no answers, I finally saw an orthopedist on Friday and his best guess was the bike trauma was causing the issue. He also said that it usually takes 6-8 weeks for a nerve to heal. I'm now almost 4 weeks from the injury. 

Anyway, I've been mostly riding my bike trainer, lifting and occasionally testing my foot out with a mile or 2. I'm trying to stay as fit as I can but it's tough without any upcoming races to look forward too.  And I'm sure you guys have noticed but I've set my strava/garmin stuff on private as I work through this issue. I guess I just didn't want the pressure of people asking about how I was feeling etc when the answer was "like ####" and "IDK when it will get better". 

It does feel like it's getting a little better but I have a ways to go. But I do feel bad for not coming around here more because it looks like I've missed some great races. Congrats on the huge PR @JShare87! Nice PR and race win @pbm107! I saw @Juxtatarot had a helluva half this past weekend too! I miss anything else? I'm sure I did. Hope everyone here is doing better than I am. 
Thanks! It really does suck not having you on Strava or in here. I know the feeling and know that I will soon be in that boat again. My nerve issue is not getting better, and I’m sure I’m probably causing some damage I shouldn’t be. Looking forward to seeing you get back into the groove. 

Just bout a pair of Roka R1 goggles.  I had been buy on the cheap the past couple of years.  I spend so much time in the pool/lake I figured it makes sense to find out just how good they are.  Ive never been a huge fan of any of the ones Ive had to date.

Off to spring break tomorrow. All inclusive resort in Mexico for a week. Gonna take a couple of days off running to rest this hamstring while giving the liver a proper workout. I'm expecting no cell coverage so unlikely to be on Strava. Please accept my kudos in advance.

Thanks! It really does suck not having you on Strava or in here. I know the feeling and know that I will soon be in that boat again. My nerve issue is not getting better, and I’m sure I’m probably causing some damage I shouldn’t be. Looking forward to seeing you get back into the groove. 
Well, it feels like I'm trending in the right direction so I may get back on there next week or so. Yesterday I ran 2 miles on the treadmill and then hopped on the trainer for 40 min and then last night a ran 2 1/2 miles with my daughters run club. All in all my foot feels like it's at about 70%, which doesn't sound great...because it's not but I'd say it was at about 30% before... so big improvement overall. I'm thinking 2 more weeks and it will be pretty close to 100%. 

But dude, that sucks you're still having problems. Your issue is from a back injury or something? Are you seeing anyone regularly about it? 

All in all my foot feels like it's at about 70%, which doesn't sound great...because it's not but I'd say it was at about 30% before... so big improvement overall. I'm thinking 2 more weeks and it will be pretty close to 100%. 
:pickle:

As cool as it'd have been to racing you about 1,000 or so miles apart, I'm glad you prioritized the long game.  Get that thing right then race at, or at least nearer to, 100%.

:pickle:

As cool as it'd have been to racing you about 1,000 or so miles apart, I'm glad you prioritized the long game.  Get that thing right then race at, or at least nearer to, 100%.
Yeah, it's a major bummer training for a marathon...being in PR crushing shape and never getting to the start line. This ain't the first time for me either. The difference is the old me would have tried to find another marathon. I'd have kept pushing it. But now I realize it's better to just shift gears and not force it if it's not going to happen. I'm thinking about a 10K at the end of May. That seems reasonable. 

How is your training going? You running the Cleveland Marathon? 

Hang 10 said:
Yeah, it's a major bummer training for a marathon...being in PR crushing shape and never getting to the start line. This ain't the first time for me either. The difference is the old me would have tried to find another marathon. I'd have kept pushing it. But now I realize it's better to just shift gears and not force it if it's not going to happen. I'm thinking about a 10K at the end of May. That seems reasonable. 

How is your training going? You running the Cleveland Marathon? 
Toledo - schedule didn't fit Cleveland this year.

And you could say I had quite the confidence boosting training run this past Sunday - https://www.strava.com/activities/1459769176.  And all things considered there was more juice in the tank too.  Trying not to get ahead of myself though.  The final push begins tomorrow and if all goes to plan I have about 115-120 miles to navigate over 11 days - including two goal pace runs, a 17, and a lengthy speed workout before getting to the final 20.

Users who are viewing this thread