What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (13 Viewers)

Racin' the station duathlon

Racin’ the Station” Duathlon is a Run/Bike/Run event where the participants will “race” the International Space Station (ISS) as it completes one Earth orbit. The ISS completes an orbit every 91 minutes 12 seconds. We will track the starting location of the ISS at the race start time and see who “beats” the space station by completing the event by the 91 minute 12 second mark.

Run pi (km) / Bike e^pi (km) / Run pi (km)

Just a fun local event on the arsenal.  It was really cool to see NASA bring out some stuff for display, a few of the engineers were available to chat with. We could get our athletic geek on. 

Before the race I ran into a buddy from work who had left in the last couple months to work on testing stuff, and our senior attorney, always great to see those guys and the younger dude would start with me, we planned to run together the first leg.

Warmup a little before the race, I always suck at short distance stuff, but the warmup helps a bit. I might have to try the earlier warmup like juxt. 

First leg - run 6:50 pace

We started too far back. I didn't want to start fast but there were too many people in front of us. Eventually we made it around the slower group, after the first mile I passed a kid who looks like he's 8.  We cheered for him as we passed.  Felt good, didn't want to push it too hard.  I was probably 20th or so at the transition. 

Transition was smooth. I've never done a duathlon before, but this was easier than a tri for sure.

Leg 2 - 22.5mph

I freaking love the 2nd leg in tri, loved it again today. Started roughly 20th, finished 5th after the 2nd leg. Passing people is fun, just moving right along on the bike is a rush. Felt great throughout. At mile 13, I finally get passed for the first time :(  as he passes, the dude yells back that I'll catch him on the run. I try to stay with him but remind myself that crushing the last mile in a tri isn't a good plan, go to a lower gear and get ready to run. 

2nd transition was almost smooth, until I overran the exit aisle. Not far thankfully. 

Leg 3 - run 7:04 pace

Sure enough, I pass the fast cyclist early. He's coming back to running, so next year he'll be tough. The 3 guys in front of me were a half mile or more, i wasn't catching them. the gal behind me (a collegiate triathlete I saw at rocket man) was a bit behind me. So I just had to run my own race, keep moving and try to stay smooth.

Mission accomplished.

Total time 1:07:57, 4th place overall, 1st in the 40-45 yo group.

how have i not noticed until now that woman jogging off with the giant cup of lemonade in the Direct TV commercial? :lmao:  :lmao: lmao: 

which of you has stopped to buy a lemonade while out on a jog?

Came here to post that in Sep I hit a personal mileage record (in my short 18-month history of hiking/running) at 221.7km, and the most recent post is @bushdocda pre-emptively one-upping me with his 221 miles!

:rant:

Heh.  But I'm still happy.  Managed to close out the month with a PR 10km in Buenos Aires (sea level FTW).  Went to a rugby match (All Blacks @ Los Pumas) the night before and still dragged my butt out of bed for the run and claim my best monthly total yet.  On my flight home now.

R&R Vegas HM is just over a month away.  No idea how to prepare but I need to get some 15km+ runs in.  Been running mostly 10-12km lately and I don't think that's going to cut it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Came here to post that in Sep I hit a personal mileage record (in my short 18-month history of hiking/running) at 221.7km, and the most recent post is @bushdocda pre-emptively one-upping me with his 221 miles!

:rant:

Heh.  But I'm still happy.  Managed to close out the month with a PR 10km in Buenos Aires (sea level FTW).  Went to a rugby match (All Blacks @ Los Pumas) the night before and still dragged my butt out of bed for the run and claim my best monthly total yet.  On my flight home now.

R&R Vegas HM is just over a month away.  No idea how to prepare but I need to get some 15km+ runs in.  Been running mostly 10-12km lately and I don't think that's going to cut it.
Gotta apply some elevation gain factor though, I ran further and still had like half the elevation ?You’ll be gliding on that HM based on what you’re used to. And you have another 5 weeks. 

Gotta apply some elevation gain factor though, I ran further and still had like half the elevation ?You’ll be gliding on that HM based on what you’re used to. And you have another 5 weeks. 
:yes: :thumbup:

While I feel under-prepared for this weekend, looking at September I did have a pretty good month - almost 41 hours (8th highest ever) and 31K' of elevation (6th highest, and 2nd highest month without a 100K or 100M race included in the total).  I wanted time on feet and vertical, and it looks like I accomplished that.

While I feel under-prepared for this weekend, looking at September I did have a pretty good month - almost 41 hours (8th highest ever) and 31K' of elevation (6th highest, and 2nd highest month without a 100K or 100M race included in the total).  I wanted time on feet and vertical, and it looks like I accomplished that.
Do you have a bib number and a tracking cut-off spreadsheet like the one for your last race so we can all nerd out and follow along?

Man, can't wait to see you get that redemption that I know you want so badly.  Start time is this Friday evening, right? 

Go get some!

@gianmarco  What are your thoughts going into race week?
Heh, honestly probably the most relaxed I've been heading into any kind of race even though this is my longest/biggest race.  I was actually thinking of just that this weekend.  So, here goes:

1)  That 10K I did a few weeks ago was HUGE for me.  One, it gave me some confidence in a slightly longer distance than the recent 5K, how my training has gone, how much the weather can help, and most importantly if my pacing seems about right.  The fact that I raced it well and comfortably was a big deal.  So, I'm so glad you guys recommended me getting that race done and running it hard. 

2)  I haven't hit all my training runs on the Higdon plan as scheduled but I do think I've done enough of them and especially the quality of them so I feel pretty prepared.  Having done the base plan back in March/April/May leading into the relay race helped me feel confident in this plan.  So at this point I'm trusting it.  The main regret is that I didn't have higher overall mileage.  I only had one week over 30 miles.  Most every week was between 24-26 miles.  That's just not a lot and I do think it held me back in being able to run it faster.  But, I've had a good bit going on so I'm not going to dwell on that or regret what I did.  I didn't miss those higher weekly mileage totals from lack of effort.

3)  I feel like I've learned a good bit from my long runs, nutrition, hydration and from you guys here that it's made a difference in how I've felt.  That was a big concern.  The only thing is I haven't really tried doing any gels or fueling during runs but I did use them during my relay race and I'm not worried about not tolerating them.  I'm going to pick up a few this week and I'll use a couple during the race.  I'm also going to wear my water belt with two 6 oz bottles.  I'm just trying to decide also how I want to approach the water stations but I'm likely going to hit most of them and try to stay as tanked up as possible. 

4)  As good as I felt after my last couple long runs, I'm not worried about the distance.  The pacing is another story.  I keep going back and forth between being conservative and finishing this race well vs. racing hard and going for it.  If I can get the pacing right, I'm going to try to start at 8:05 and see how I feel for the first couple miles and adjust from there.  I don't want to blow up but I also don't want to leave too much out there (thanks, Captain Obvious).  So I guess cautiously aggressive is how I'll put it.

5)  I'm going to try a couple pace miles today.  I'll run 2-3 easy miles tomorrow.  I'll head to the track and do a few 400's at 5k pace on Wednesday and then take it easy from there.  Probably rest Thursday, run 2-3 easy on Friday and then maybe 1-2 on Saturday.  I'm open to suggestions if I should do more or less or different. 

6)  I work Wednesday and Friday overnight but otherwise have a relatively easy week.  Temps are going to suck, though.  I'm just praying it cools off for Sunday.  I've avoided looking but I might go look soon.  I'm just going to focus on eating well, drinking a lot (I've already started) and being as ready as I can. 

7)  I have this strange feeling that things are either going to go really well or really poorly as I'm not sure what to expect but I'm ok with that.  The funny thing is almost all my other races were relative unknowns.  My first 5K, I had no idea what I could do.  My 15K was a completely different animal and similarly no idea what to expect.  The relay race was completely different than anything else.  My Father's Day 5K was with awful weather and more of a "#### it, let's go get it" and was fun.  And the 10K I just did was a new distance but was a big deal in helping me settle in.  Here, I actually feel the most prepared and feel like I have a good idea of what pace I can do and we'll just see how it goes.

I hope I don't disappoint you guys  :)

Also, the last thought which I think has helped keep me pretty relaxed about it. 

For all the other races, I'd have runs leading up to them where I'm running slower than race pace and struggling and constantly thinking "how the hell am I going to run that fast during the race when I can't even do this".  And now after ~5 races, I've come to realize that it does happen and you just have to trust the work put in and the calculators. 

So, that's me right now.  I'm trusting the work, banking on the calculator and what you guys have told me and I'm going to go get it done however I need to.  I remember I had a recent pace run for 3 or 4 miles and got to the end and said "there's no way I could have gone another 9 miles anywhere close to this".  And then I just put that thought away and said that I will do it when it matters. 

Which is why I have this little nagging feeling that maybe I'm trusting a bit too much.  But I'm ok with all of it and I'm going to cross that finish line regardless so......

High of 89 degrees on Friday :(

Hot weather just keeps creeping backward.  Right now, Sunday is showing a high of 78 degrees.  Dewpoints in the upper 60's even on Saturday.  Race time will be 63/61 which is not nearly as nice as the low 50's that I saw earlier.  Wish I hadn't looked.....

Do you have a bib number and a tracking cut-off spreadsheet like the one for your last race so we can all nerd out and follow along?
Haven't done the spreadsheet yet, need to finish that.  But the "seeded entry list" with bib numbers was just released a few minutes ago, looks like I'm bib 190 (out of 298 entrants).  Firmly in the mid-pack, where I belong.  But I'm going to go in with the Bill Simmons "nobody believes in us" mindset ;)

Looks like there will be a live webcast beginning at 6:00 PM on Friday at www.eco-xsports.com.

2)  I haven't hit all my training runs on the Higdon plan as scheduled but I do think I've done enough of them and especially the quality of them so I feel pretty prepared.  Having done the base plan back in March/April/May leading into the relay race helped me feel confident in this plan.  So at this point I'm trusting it.  The main regret is that I didn't have higher overall mileage.  I only had one week over 30 miles.  Most every week was between 24-26 miles.  That's just not a lot and I do think it held me back in being able to run it faster.  But, I've had a good bit going on so I'm not going to dwell on that or regret what I did.  I didn't miss those higher weekly mileage totals from lack of effort.

I think you will be ok here. There have been some half marathon cycles where I have run similar mileage as you, usually due to being sick or what not, and race day still works out ok. So I wouldn't stress out on this really. You'll be fine.

3)  I feel like I've learned a good bit from my long runs, nutrition, hydration and from you guys here that it's made a difference in how I've felt.  That was a big concern.  The only thing is I haven't really tried doing any gels or fueling during runs but I did use them during my relay race and I'm not worried about not tolerating them.  I'm going to pick up a few this week and I'll use a couple during the race.  I'm also going to wear my water belt with two 6 oz bottles.  I'm just trying to decide also how I want to approach the water stations but I'm likely going to hit most of them and try to stay as tanked up as possible. 

One routine I use for race week is basically the same I use for all my training now. On Monday I pretty much eat whatever. As the week progresses, I pretty much stop eating fibers on Wednesday. I will then start carb loading Tuesday, with my heavy carb load coming at lunch the day before my race. Dinners are usually lean meats, baked potatoes, rice, etc. Thanks to @Ned I'll even eat a little steak for my evening meal the night before. Seems to work good in my case. I just know from experience that starting my carb load earlier in the week seems to help me. 

As for hydration, I would mix in some electrolytes as well. I've started drinking a gatorade on Thursday and Friday before a long run, and it's made a huge difference. 

4)  As good as I felt after my last couple long runs, I'm not worried about the distance.  The pacing is another story.  I keep going back and forth between being conservative and finishing this race well vs. racing hard and going for it.  If I can get the pacing right, I'm going to try to start at 8:05 and see how I feel for the first couple miles and adjust from there.  I don't want to blow up but I also don't want to leave too much out there (thanks, Captain Obvious).  So I guess cautiously aggressive is how I'll put it.

For me, the pacing is all about my heart rate. That pretty much dictates what my body is able to do. And I can't trick my heart rate. It is what it is. For you, that may be a good way to pace this out, at least early in the race. 

I hope I don't disappoint you guys  :)

You won't.  :)

So do you know what a good HR would be?  Something that's comfortable for the early miles of a long run?  The HR would give you confidence that you're at a sustainable pace ...better than guessing how much a warmer day, nerves, etc. are affecting you.  But only use HR if you have enough data to be able to rely on what it's telling you.  

And given the unknown of being in race mode for a longer distance, have a mantra or two planned in advance.  Maybe one to reinforce your striding or breathing in the back half, and a "BMF" variant to carry you to the end.  If you do start to struggle, it's usually too late to decide "oh, I'll think happy thoughts and get my mojo back."  Better to prep this in advance.

As you said a couple of times, it comes down now to trusting your training.

Oh, and one more thing. If you are going to use gels, do yourself a favor and try them immediately and not on Sunday. If you can, do a really slow run maybe tomorrow of 5 or 6 miles and pop in a couple about 2 miles in to see how your body reacts. Rule #1 of long distance racing is don't try anything on race day you didn't do in training. 

And one more and then I'm done - not sure you'll need to carry water unless you just really want to. For a half there are usually plenty of water stations, plus you don't have to carry that extra weight around. 

So do you know what a good HR would be?  Something that's comfortable for the early miles of a long run?  The HR would give you confidence that you're at a sustainable pace ...better than guessing how much a warmer day, nerves, etc. are affecting you.  But only use HR if you have enough data to be able to rely on what it's telling you.  

And given the unknown of being in race mode for a longer distance, have a mantra or two planned in advance.  Maybe one to reinforce your striding or breathing in the back half, and a "BMF" variant to carry you to the end.  If you do start to struggle, it's usually too late to decide "oh, I'll think happy thoughts and get my mojo back."  Better to prep this in advance.

As you said a couple of times, it comes down now to trusting your training.
I have a good bit of HR data but I don't know if it's enough to trust for the race and it would be the first time using it for that. That makes me a little nervous even though I'm sure it would work well.

Here is what I've found from my training:

--Anything in the 150's is effort but definitely sustainable.

--160-165 is where I'm at when I'm working hard but still feeling good. My guess is this is where I'll want to be for most of the race, at least to start.

165-170 is when I'm really working and I'm starting to feel it. My long runs where I felt tired at the end, I'm at 168-170. This is where I'll want to be towards the end but I don't think I could hang out here all race.

>170 is when I don't feel good. The couple bad long runs I had when I was dehydrated, I was between 170-180 and felt miserable. I'll get there for the final push but I don't think I can race the whole race here.

@ChiefD recommended being around there as we are in similar ranges overall but I can't see it for me for a HM. Maybe my max HR has drifted down. I don't know, but that's part of what makes me nervous about going by HR when I truly don't know.

The other thing that makes me nervous was seeing a HR of 158 for my 10K and feeling like I don't think I had much more to give at the end but my HR saying I could have done more. Now, I do think my legs were more tired than my fitness level and that had to do with nutrition/hydration/sleep leading up to it (hi, Vegas) so I don't know how much to trust that either.

In the end, I think I've got an idea of how it should feel and I'm going to look at all of it (pace, HR, feel) and then go with what I think makes sense. I don't want to be a slave to either but overall I think I'll feel more comfortable trusting the pacing, at least to start. If that can somewhat line up with the HR, then I'll go with it. If there's a discrepancy, then I'm going to have a decision to make out there and I'm not sure what I'll go with at this point but I know how you guys feel about HR data so it will factor in.

Oh, and one more thing. If you are going to use gels, do yourself a favor and try them immediately and not on Sunday. If you can, do a really slow run maybe tomorrow of 5 or 6 miles and pop in a couple about 2 miles in to see how your body reacts. Rule #1 of long distance racing is don't try anything on race day you didn't do in training. 
I used them during my 5 mile runs during the relay. I felt fine with them and think they helped.

I know now I need to drink after them, though (thanks @SFBayDuck).

Haven't done the spreadsheet yet, need to finish that.  But the "seeded entry list" with bib numbers was just released a few minutes ago, looks like I'm bib 190 (out of 298 entrants).  Firmly in the mid-pack, where I belong.  But I'm going to go in with the Bill Simmons "nobody believes in us" mindset ;)

Looks like there will be a live webcast beginning at 6:00 PM on Friday at www.eco-xsports.com.
The race website had splits for the "last runner" or 38 hour pace that looked to be actual aid station splits, and not just taking the overall time and applying to the cumulative mileage.  So I was able to use that to quickly extrapolate a 32-hour pace chart..  I'll probably hide the "segment pace" column when I print this as it won't be very helpful out there (just used it for the math).  I'm also playing around with the display options on my Garmin, setting up some screens that have time/distance/avg pace and time/distance/elevation/total ascent, things like that.  

Didn't get to my drop bags yesterday so will do that today.  As an out-and-back course having 5 places with drop bags are really just 3 bags, so that'll simplify things a bit.

And of course the wet weather has in fact moved up, so not only rain but looks like thunderstorms forecast for pretty much the entire race.  I don't know the weather patterns in VA, anybody know if it's typically an afternoon thunderstorm kind of deal like the mountains in Colorado or the tropics typically are, or some other pattern (or none at all)?  @BassNBrew?

I was only half paying attention and was feeling the effects of a few pops yesterday but I think VA is getting a gulf stream of weather this week(end). That usually is of the increasing intensity as the day progresses variety that you described. But especially in the mountains they are susceptible to wet stuff throughout the day if the air masses are hitting right - er wrong - anyway. Meaning it never really dried up (hello, humidity!) from the previous day. But maybe you'll get lucky and just :lmao:  get blinding fog instead of rain all morning while the furnace fires up the more violent stuff later. 

Add to it an unusually wet summer and you could be in for some adventurous footing. Before even considering what may be falling from the sky. 

I was only half paying attention and was feeling the effects of a few pops yesterday but I think VA is getting a gulf stream of weather this week(end). That usually is of the increasing intensity as the day progresses variety that you described. But especially in the mountains they are susceptible to wet stuff throughout the day if the air masses are hitting right - er wrong - anyway. Meaning it never really dried up (hello, humidity!) from the previous day. But maybe you'll get lucky and just :lmao:  get blinding fog instead of rain all morning while the furnace fires up the more violent stuff later. 

Add to it an unusually wet summer and you could be in for some adventurous footing. Before even considering what may be falling from the sky. 
Sounds like I should be using dry bags for drop bags, then.  Should be interesting!

I have a good bit of HR data but I don't know if it's enough to trust for the race and it would be the first time using it for that. That makes me a little nervous even though I'm sure it would work well.

Here is what I've found from my training:

--Anything in the 150's is effort but definitely sustainable.

--160-165 is where I'm at when I'm working hard but still feeling good. My guess is this is where I'll want to be for most of the race, at least to start.

165-170 is when I'm really working and I'm starting to feel it. My long runs where I felt tired at the end, I'm at 168-170. This is where I'll want to be towards the end but I don't think I could hang out here all race.

>170 is when I don't feel good. The couple bad long runs I had when I was dehydrated, I was between 170-180 and felt miserable. I'll get there for the final push but I don't think I can race the whole race here.
So big picture, which is probably the best you dare do, is to recognize that if you're in the 140s after the first mile or so, you're probably being too cautious.  But if you push 160 in the first few miles, you might need to throttle back a bit.  I expect you'll do a steady climb through the 160s from roughly miles 4-6 up to miles 10-12.  

I have a question.  Hypothetically, let's say you're on mile 12 of a 15 mile long run.  50 yards ahead walking on the sidewalk you see a guy finish off a plastic water bottle and toss it on the grass.  If it matters, the grass borders a small lake and is not private property.  If it matters, the guy is probably in his young 20s and outweighs you by 50 lbs.  What do you do?

I have a question.  Hypothetically, let's say you're on mile 12 of a 15 mile long run.  50 yards ahead walking on the sidewalk you see a guy finish off a plastic water bottle and toss it on the grass.  If it matters, the grass borders a small lake and is not private property.  If it matters, the guy is probably in his young 20s and outweighs you by 50 lbs.  What do you do?
Depends on what my HR is at the time...

I'm pretty non-confrontational, but I'd probably run by him and give him a, "dude, really?" while pointing in the direction of the bottle.

That being said, if he's a typical 20-something he has no concept of anything going on outside of the screen he's probably looking at so he won't even know what you're referring to.  #getoffmylawn

Juxtatarot said:
I'd pick it up, throw it at him, and tell him that he forgot something.

Juxtatarot said:
I'd pick it up, catch up to him, and try to hand it to him while give him a bit of shaming.  If he takes it and apologizes, all's well.  If he tries to blow it off, I'd make a condescending comment and hold the bottle until I could properly dispose of it.

Juxtatarot said:
Btw, the bolded above applies to most adults and children over the age of 9.

Juxtatarot said:
I'd pick it up, and as I ran by I would stop and hand it to him and say: "You dropped this back there." 

Start time?  It's on that link....7:30am
I didn't see it, but in the interest of transparency I spent maybe 2 1/2 seconds looking.  Maybe.

I'd love to track, by wife is 10K'ing Sunday morning and too many phone notifications causes me anxiety.  Need to figure out logistics before I know if I can actually follow along or if the combination of small humans and technology is too much for me.

Some day runner "tracking" is going to be a live feed from a camera the runner is wearing, right?  And that will include live pace, distance, heart rate, cadence, and other stats?  And you'll be able to save the video to watch again?

• Smile
Reactions: JAA

Users who are viewing this thread