What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (10 Viewers)

If it's truly not PR conditions on Saturday, then I'll just take it easy and save myself to actually race at Boston.
I'm getting a PR, dammit! It's going to happen. Don't care what the weather is like! Of course, that's not the highest bar to set or anything.

I'm getting a PR, dammit! It's going to happen. Don't care what the weather is like! Of course, that's not the highest bar to set or anything.
Just get your mind in the right place - my break through half marathon was amidst a windy sleet/hail/thunder snow storm, 8+ minute pr.  You may not run as fast as you could in ideal conditions, but you can still run substantially faster than you ever have before.  It's neck-up though.  And you're starting in the right place with the above.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been thinking about that other marathon I'd run.  I could sleep in my own bed the night before. I know how to get there, where to park.  Almost pancake flat with little "extra" mileage due to possible tangent issues.  I've run the loop seven times already so I feel like I know every inch of the course...

I've been thinking about that other marathon I'd run.  I could sleep in my own bed the night before. I know how to get there, where to park.  Almost pancake flat with little "extra" mileage due to possible tangent issues.  I've run the loop seven times already so I feel like I know every inch of the course...
Chicken...

Just get your mind in the right place - my break through half marathon was amidst a windy sleet/hail/thunder snow storm, 8+ minute pr.  You may not run as fast as you could in ideal conditions, but you can still run substantially faster than you ever have before.  It's neck-up though.  And you're starting in the right place with the above.
My current PR is the only HM that I have done, which was back in November. Time was 2:10:22. Barring there being a sever snowstorm or completely iced over streets, I better break that. My goal, weather permitting, is 1:45. I believe I can do that but it will not be easy. Breaking 2 hours better be easy, no matter the weather!

Also, I have a 2nd HM that I am doing on May 4th here in town. I originally signed up for Carmel when a friend at work talked me into it and the plan was for it to just be a "long run" as part of my training for the one on May 4th. But I've come a long way even faster than expected and now I have 2 chances at my goal. My goal for Saturday is to basically set my pace at 8 min/mile and see how it goes. Depending on how well that goes, I will set my goal for May 4th accordingly. If the weather cooperates and I meet the goal, then I will decide how much to push that in a month. If the weather is off and/or I miss the goal this week, then I will figure out what I have to do so that I have every chance to break 1:45 in a month.

My current PR is the only HM that I have done, which was back in November. Time was 2:10:22. Barring there being a sever snowstorm or completely iced over streets, I better break that. My goal, weather permitting, is 1:45. I believe I can do that but it will not be easy. Breaking 2 hours better be easy, no matter the weather!

Also, I have a 2nd HM that I am doing on May 4th here in town. I originally signed up for Carmel when a friend at work talked me into it and the plan was for it to just be a "long run" as part of my training for the one on May 4th. But I've come a long way even faster than expected and now I have 2 chances at my goal. My goal for Saturday is to basically set my pace at 8 min/mile and see how it goes. Depending on how well that goes, I will set my goal for May 4th accordingly. If the weather cooperates and I meet the goal, then I will decide how much to push that in a month. If the weather is off and/or I miss the goal this week, then I will figure out what I have to do so that I have every chance to break 1:45 in a month.
Yeah, you're certainly in a great position to PR regardless of weather.

Oh yeah, I'm also about to sign up for a 5K on May 11th. It's the local high school that puts it on as a fundraiser for their XC program. I have run it a couple times years ago. Plan to sign up and see how fast I can do that a week after the other HM...

:unsure:

Oh yeah, I'm also about to sign up for a 5K on May 11th. It's the local high school that puts it on as a fundraiser for their XC program. I have run it a couple times years ago. Plan to sign up and see how fast I can do that a week after the other HM...

:unsure:
Did that race in 23:45 about 6 years ago... Plan to try to be at or under 22 minutes this year... it's a nice flat, fast 5k road course. 

Didn't realize we have 2 more on the calendar racing HM's this weekend.  @pbm107 and @bushdocda.

Both still a go?
I'm racing but I am not expecting anything great. Last Monday my allergies started acting up, had a work trip, and then followed that up with a drunken weekend with friends down in Nashville.  Ended up missing 3 straight running days, it was fun but also a whole lot of stupid.

The reality is I am not where I'd like to be fitness wise yet, and even if you remove the past 7 days I wouldn't be swinging for a big PR.  That will have to wait until November. 

Hopefully the current weather forecast is incorrect for Carmel.

Ok, this new roadrunner cadence thing for me is legit.

I just ran my easy 3 miles using it the whole way from start to finish.  You can see my cadence registered at 176.  First of all, my HR was much more level and consistent.  So, really no additional effort being used and I averaged under 150 which is normal for me.  Plus, I went a new route and the last mile and a half is pretty hilly so the bump there was to be expected.

Not only that, but I also shaved about 30 sec/mile off my easy pace.  I never once felt like I was moving quickly (except on the downhills) yet I was in the mid-low 8's at times and had to keep telling myself to take even shorter steps to keep it relaxed.  Plus, I feel lighter on my feet because they're spending less time on the ground and less impact on my legs and body. 

It's crazy how my cadence "only" went up about 10-12 but it is COMPLETELY different and feels silly at times.  It'll be interesting to try it at higher speeds later this week.

Also, shout outs to @SFBayDuck.  I kept noticing his weather info on his runs and thought it was some fancy watch thing.  So I looked up the klimat.app and saw it's a website that you just link to your Strava and it's done.  Automatically adds the weather info to runs.  Now I don't have to bother adding it in on my own.  I like it.  And looks like it's only $5/year to unlock more options.

Also, shout outs to @SFBayDuck.  I kept noticing his weather info on his runs and thought it was some fancy watch thing.  So I looked up the klimat.app and saw it's a website that you just link to your Strava and it's done.  Automatically adds the weather info to runs.  Now I don't have to bother adding it in on my own.  I like it.
Cool.  Just signed up.  Hopefully it will start working tomorrow. 

Also, shout outs to @SFBayDuck.  I kept noticing his weather info on his runs and thought it was some fancy watch thing.  So I looked up the klimat.app and saw it's a website that you just link to your Strava and it's done.  Automatically adds the weather info to runs.  Now I don't have to bother adding it in on my own.  I like it.  And looks like it's only $5/year to unlock more options.
I added that a couple of months ago.  I never mentioned it in here, but y'all spend so much time #####ing talking about the weather that I figured someone would notice and comment on it.

I'm also just using the free version, don't really see any reason to upgrade.  I just figured it'd be interesting to have weather info automatically added to every run in case I want to go back and leverage it as another data point.  Of course I probably have less variability or influence due to weather than anyone here, so it's probably more valuable to many of you.

I added that a couple of months ago.  I never mentioned it in here, but y'all spend so much time #####ing talking about the weather that I figured someone would notice and comment on it.

I'm also just using the free version, don't really see any reason to upgrade.  I just figured it'd be interesting to have weather info automatically added to every run in case I want to go back and leverage it as another data point.  Of course I probably have less variability or influence due to weather than anyone here, so it's probably more valuable to many of you.
:lmao:

I didn't upgrade yet but would do so more just to support the guy than anything else.  Although the premium version does have dew point, so....

When it starts getting hot, I'll see what the "feels like" info shows and if it's similar to our SI, then that's good enough.

:lmao:

I didn't upgrade yet but would do so more just to support the guy than anything else.  Although the premium version does have dew point, so....

When it starts getting hot, I'll see what the "feels like" info shows and if it's similar to our SI, then that's good enough.
Yeah, just a simple SI number would probably be the most valuable data point.

Ok, this new roadrunner cadence thing for me is legit.

I just ran my easy 3 miles using it the whole way from start to finish.  You can see my cadence registered at 176.  First of all, my HR was much more level and consistent.  So, really no additional effort being used and I averaged under 150 which is normal for me.  Plus, I went a new route and the last mile and a half is pretty hilly so the bump there was to be expected.

Not only that, but I also shaved about 30 sec/mile off my easy pace.  I never once felt like I was moving quickly (except on the downhills) yet I was in the mid-low 8's at times and had to keep telling myself to take even shorter steps to keep it relaxed.  Plus, I feel lighter on my feet because they're spending less time on the ground and less impact on my legs and body. 

It's crazy how my cadence "only" went up about 10-12 but it is COMPLETELY different and feels silly at times.  It'll be interesting to try it at higher speeds later this week.

I meant to reply to your first post about this but I've been swamped at work and home.  Plus the end of marathon training is balancing everything in life. 

What you are experiencing is exactly what I had happen.  Once I made the change, I felt like I was gliding instead of slumbering along.  I found my body was able to withstand many more miles without the wear and tear. In terms of energy, I felt like I was more efficient with less "bounce", therefore better utilizing my strength.  Admittedly my cadence can be crazy, but it works for me.  It takes time to make it a habit.  It was a couple weeks of dedicated work on it and it was during a downtime in terms of training so pacing wasn't as regimented as it is now. 

It works for me.  May not work for everyone but I'm glad it appears to be helping @gianmarco

Can I get the cliff notes version of this cadence thing?  I think I'm experiencing the benefits of a subtle change to my technique, but haven't the slightest clue if it's what you two are doing/have done, if it's something different, and if it's having any impact in the first place.  Offseason and carrying extra weight, so isn't apples-to-apples right now.

Can I get the cliff notes version of this cadence thing?  I think I'm experiencing the benefits of a subtle change to my technique, but haven't the slightest clue if it's what you two are doing/have done, if it's something different, and if it's having any impact in the first place.  Offseason and carrying extra weight, so isn't apples-to-apples right now.
Cliff notes is I was advised to try to get my cadence from 175 to something faster.  The ultimate goal was to be more efficient and less bouncy.  Every time you push yourself up and bounce is wasted energy.  Its better to use as much energy as possible to propel yourself forward instead of up/down.  That was why I started to try it. 

I found that my body was less achy, most specifically my joints (hips, knees, ankles).  I think this was because I wasn't taking the same amount of pounding from each step. 

I'm not sure I've seen the significantly faster pace due to my cadence, but my injuries have gone down to nearly nothing.  Its been good for me, but I recognize cadence/stride is a very personal thing so I don't push it too hard.  Plus I like being the resident roadrunner around these parts.  ☺️

I'm pretty sure you know what cadence is (number of steps per minute).  We've had the discussion here before and there's been plenty of things written about having an "ideal" cadence.  Some claim that number is 180, but after looking at it more, there's disagreement about that.  Some successful runners have a lower cadence and it works for them.  Most of the elite runners were typically in that range which is where it came from.

That said, if your cadence is too low, then it can keep you from improving.  From what I remember, when I read on this, we're talking like < 160 which is pretty hard to do.  Still, there's enough people that believe that you are more efficient with a higher cadence because it decreases the time you spend with your feet touching the ground and it decreases the stress to your body as a result.

IIRC, SteelCurtain has a ridiculous cadence of ~190.  When I first started running, mine was in the 168-170 range.  It's just where it naturally ended up.  I've since actually dropped it where I'm usually in the 164-165 range.  When I race, I've gotten it up to about 174-175. 

As I pointed out above, I'm watching this guy have probably the fastest turnover I've ever seen.  So I made an abrupt change to try it out.  Think of sprinting and churning your legs fast except I was just taking baby steps instead.  It was a completely different way of running.  It feels ridiculous.  But sure enough, it wasn't any harder.

The basics of running for speed comes down to 2 things:  Cadence and stride length. 

The only way you move faster is by increasing 1 or the other or both.  Most of us do it by increasing our stride length with only a slight increase in cadence.  But, if you can start with a higher cadence, then it theoretically can get you faster without changing much. 

The mental picture I have with it that helps it make sense for me is going up stairs.  We've all tried going up stairs different ways.  You can try going up 2 at a time.  You take less steps but each step is a lot more work to move yourself.  It gets tiring.  Or you can take normal steps.  Or you can take double steps where you move each foot to each step.  If you've ever tried that, it feels stupid but it requires much less energy.  Same concept -- much smaller steps and take much more of them. 

When I read about this a while ago, they recommended using a metronome to help increase cadence.  And they recommended just aiming for 1-2 beats increase, little by little.  You can train yourself to get it higher.  I think @Brony did this.  I didn't do that.  I literally tried moving my feet almost as fast as I could and thinking "baby steps".  My increase was a HUGE amount and probably not the way to do it.  When I ran today, it felt as if I just started running in terms of having to concentrate on my form and what I was doing.  I had to keep telling myself "churn churn churn".  But it worked.  And because it's such a drastic change, I think it'll be easier for me to adopt than doing small incremental changes. 

ETA -- lol@Cliff's notes.  Oops?

One more data point on cadence....

Saturday run -- 22 miles at 7:37 pace -- average was 186 steps per minute..  Average stride length was 1.12 meters.

Sunday recovery run -- 8 miles at 9:21 pace -- average was 180 steps per minute.  Avg. stride length was 0.96 meters.

Monday interval workout -- 10.6 miles at 8:07 pace -- 190 steps per minute.  Avg. stride length was 1.05 meters.

The back story is my legs were fried on Sunday, so they were slower and taking shorter strides.  My interval workouts have a shorter stride length because at the end of each interval I do a recovery which is very slow and very short strides.

All this is on my Garmin Connect so I'm able to track it regularly.  🤓

I am between 180-185 steps per minute if anyone cares. Changed to this years ago after reading one of you wanks say something about it in this thread. Seems to work fine. 

Cliff notes is I was advised to try to get my cadence from 175 to something faster.  The ultimate goal was to be more efficient and less bouncy.  Every time you push yourself up and bounce is wasted energy.  Its better to use as much energy as possible to propel yourself forward instead of up/down.  That was why I started to try it. 

I found that my body was less achy, most specifically my joints (hips, knees, ankles).  I think this was because I wasn't taking the same amount of pounding from each step. 

I'm not sure I've seen the significantly faster pace due to my cadence, but my injuries have gone down to nearly nothing.  Its been good for me, but I recognize cadence/stride is a very personal thing so I don't push it too hard.  Plus I like being the resident roadrunner around these parts.  ☺️
:thumbup:

Preciated, shockingly I have absolutely no idea what my cadence was nor is because I don't track it...but it's definitely higher now than it was last year.  It's comforting to read your success utilizing the technical version of what I've been trying to accomplish, which is just about exactly what @gianmarco described.  I've noticed my pace has improved at relative efforts (in optimum conditions) and my recovery time is substantially less than with my old technique.  I don't know if the former will hold once in training mode again, but I'm increasingly confident the latter will carry over.  I've been picking spots to push things a little more for a few day period then see how quickly I recover.  I keep waiting to go too far and enduring a 3-4 day rough patch, but it hasn't happened yet.  So maybe if I utilize this more frequently I won't struggle as much with the more challenging portions of whatever plan I choose.

Not going to abandon the glute engagement workouts, but it probably makes sense to not do more than one of those per week.

Here is my run from yesterday:  You can see where my cadence bumped up.  I then went back to my normal cadence and then finished back up higher again.  No change in my HR.

My last race in December:  I was up to 171.

My tempo run from a couple days ago:  I started off lower in the low 160's and it got a little higher as I got faster.  But, still pretty minimal. 

My run today is a huge difference and it's still not even at 180.  I can't even imagine getting up to 190. 

Here is my run from yesterday:  You can see where my cadence bumped up.  I then went back to my normal cadence and then finished back up higher again.  No change in my HR.

My last race in December:  I was up to 171.

My tempo run from a couple days ago:  I started off lower in the low 160's and it got a little higher as I got faster.  But, still pretty minimal. 

My run today is a huge difference and it's still not even at 180.  I can't even imagine getting up to 190. 
My cadence changes dramatically during my interval workouts.  https://www.strava.com/activities/2239338512

:thumbup:

Preciated, shockingly I have absolutely no idea what my cadence was nor is because I don't track it...but it's definitely higher now than it was last year.  It's comforting to read your success utilizing the technical version of what I've been trying to accomplish, which is just about exactly what @gianmarco described.  I've noticed my pace has improved at relative efforts (in optimum conditions) and my recovery time is substantially less than with my old technique.  I don't know if the former will hold once in training mode again, but I'm increasingly confident the latter will carry over.  I've been picking spots to push things a little more for a few day period then see how quickly I recover.  I keep waiting to go too far and enduring a 3-4 day rough patch, but it hasn't happened yet.  So maybe if I utilize this more frequently I won't struggle as much with the more challenging portions of whatever plan I choose.

Not going to abandon the glute engagement workouts, but it probably makes sense to not do more than one of those per week.
You use Strava on your phone, right?  You can turn it on to measure it.  Go under settings when you start a run and open up "sensors".  You can have it pick up your cadence. 

Forecast updated on weatherunderground.  Now with more wind and more thunderstorms.
Sucks to see that and would rather see it be completely clear.  But, the reality is the likelihood of that being accurate to the hour 5 days out is incredibly small.  Small changes now in some systems can completely change where and when that storm hits. 

I'd wager that it's off and you guys end up being fine.

Sucks to see that and would rather see it be completely clear.  But, the reality is the likelihood of that being accurate to the hour 5 days out is incredibly small.  Small changes now in some systems can completely change where and when that storm hits. 

Yeah, I won't post about it again until mid-week and I'll make a decision one way or the other then.  Even without the thunderstorms I have major concerns about a PR attempt in high wind conditions.  I think I'm less invested in this particular race than the others and I have a decent backup.  

Yeah, I won't post about it again until mid-week and I'll make a decision one way or the other then.  Even without the thunderstorms I have major concerns about a PR attempt in high wind conditions.  I think I'm less invested in this particular race than the others and I have a decent backup.  
Oh, you can post about it a lot more.  That's what we're here for  :)   I'm just trying to help calm the worries.  Just drink your beet juice and trust.....

All the likes in the world to the cadence link posted above and this post in particular... also the comments below about breathing and running. I think I realized something about some of my runs that have hurt more than I thought they should. They tend to be runs that I *think* I am taking it easy and then they don't end up that way. 

Looking back at them and putting a couple things together, I realized that when I am "taking it easy" I tend to do two things differently - one is I take fewer, longer strides; second is that my breathing pattern is totally different when I start to "stride out". That breathing seems to be less effective and I think it leads to an increased heart rate at a lower level of effort. 

Tonight was only the first test so there could have been other things involved but it seems to make some sense and seemed to be effective tonight. I do know that my most effective runs have always been when I felt my breathing was "on". I just don't think I ever noticed that I appear to match my breathing to my cadence. And when I am stretching out my legs my breathing seems less focused.

Maybe it was one faulty test or maybe it's some psychosomatic phenomenon. I'm not sure. Figure I'll try to pay attention for a couple weeks and see. 
Gian, you should read my posts more/closer... I had this same aha moment with cadence weeks ago! 

;)

That too.

I love this thread and how we all learn and start adopting stuff.

Pretty soon we are all going to be beet-drinking, Klimat using, chicken eating, high cadence, large shoe-wearing, neurostim practicing BMFs.

ETA -- I think I found our team name.

Sunday forecast looks PERFECT. I'm gonna cross my fingers that it shifts by a day.

The basics of running for speed comes down to 2 things:  Cadence and stride length. 

When I read about this a while ago, they recommended using a metronome to help increase cadence. 
As to the former: Yes.  That's a great reminder with some long races looming for some of you guys.  Late in the race, focus on both.  

As to the latter, I picture you running down the street with a metronome in hand.  I have one sitting on our piano.  Shall I bring it for the relay?    BTW, I would say the king of short step/quick step is @Juxtatarot.  Dude gets some rotation in those legs of his.  

Users who are viewing this thread