What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (13 Viewers)

How do you feel today?
Well, since you asked. 

When I peeled off my tri shorts last night I learned I had some terrible chaffing I didn’t know about. The whole region down there is painful. 

Other than that just sore like after any race. 

Yeah, my lower back and piriformis are both kinda tight/sore (as per usual), but other than that, I'm good.  So nice of @gianmarco to ask.  He's the best.
I feel pretty good myself, better than I think I should since I did not finish strong Saturday. But I'm at peace with it for now. Feet still not exactly happy but they will be fine. 

I feel pretty good myself, better than I think I should since I did not finish strong Saturday. But I'm at peace with it for now. Feet still not exactly happy but they will be fine. 
Dude, you ran 20 miles. For the first time ever.

Don't worry about how you finished - just that you did. And you learned some things. I would call that run exactly what you needed at this point in your training. 

Don't worry about how you finished - just that you did. And you learned some things. I would call that run exactly what you needed at this point in your training. 
I'm at peace with it... It's all good. Just after how good I recall feeling at the end of 18, I just had higher hopes for that one. I still have 12 weeks to get ready, IMO.

Highly appreciate all the advice here about getting to 20 sooner than later - definitely a good idea, IMO. Especially for wanting to do a little more than "just finish". This weekend was a great learning opportunity. I feel like I got a lot of doing it and look forward to hopefully doing that better here in a few weeks. 

Yep - if you're going to fail a 20 miler then you want it to be the first one. Doing so was the best thing that happened to my wife in her first marathon cycle last year.

What he said.  

Speaking of 20-milers, I've got my first one of the cycle coming up this Saturday.  I've done dozens of 20s over the past 15+ years, but they're still always a little bit intimidating.  There's a timed event happening about 90 minutes from my house on a 3.7-mile loop, so if I can over the idea of spending $60 on a training run, I might head up there and do the 4-hour option.  I'd just run 5.5 loops to get my mileage, walk/jog the rest of the loop as a cool down, and call it a day.

Speaking of 20-milers, I've got my first one of the cycle coming up this Saturday.  I've done dozens of 20s over the past 15+ years, but they're still always a little bit intimidating.  There's a timed event happening about 90 minutes from my house on a 3.7-mile loop, so if I can over the idea of spending $60 on a training run, I might head up there and do the 4-hour option.  I'd just run 5.5 loops to get my mileage, walk/jog the rest of the loop as a cool down, and call it a day.
Do it.

I'll be thinking of you while I'm floating down the Wisconsin River Thursday, Friday, and Saturday drinking beer and catching smallies and muskie.

Enjoy your run!

After talking here and talking with my wife, one of the biggest lessons is the cumulative effects of nutrition, etc. It's been about a year since we got a lot better about food choices at home and such but my wife pointed out that we had a pretty crappy week almost all of last week. Monday night was poker league and I picked up something fast on the way there, Wednesday we moved my daughter back to college and then I umped a baseball game so it was a lot of "grap on the go" stuff. Friday night we went to the AAA baseball game and I ate dinner and snacks at the ballpark. All added together, I'm pretty sure that had a lot to do with not having enough oommph to finish out on Saturday. 

Other than some road crossings, etc, I was sub 9 min/mile for 16 miles and pretty consistent right at 8:50 +/- for all of them. And my HR was pretty much right were I would want it to be, especially given the temps/humidity. There was a lot of success there. Mile 17 was still ok, after that I was in trouble... but that's ok. 

So, overall there was a lot of great stuff that came out of it. And, while not fun, I think it's good to get a good swift kick in the balls now and then to remember this stuff ain't all a walk in the park. I was feeling a little full of myself after that last couple of weeks. Getting some good advice here about some longer runs during the week, as well as a constant vigilance on being properly fueled and such is a great set of lessons to learn with a couple months to go rather than on race day or something. I feel good about it all. Just have to make sure I take the lessons to heart and don't forget about them...

And bonus side is that I'm really starting to get stoked for running the HM. Doing multiple runs longer than 13.1 has that not seeming quite so daunting anymore. 

Well, since you asked. 

When I peeled off my tri shorts last night I learned I had some terrible chaffing I didn’t know about. The whole region down there is painful. 

Other than that just sore like after any race. 
Use lotion. Preferably with an assistant applying

Octoberfest beers are out.  Some really good ones up here.  Then again, you drink Miller Lite, sooooo.....
:goodposting:

I did enjoy a couple of DogFish Flesh and Blood IPAs Saturday evening with my burger and bacon wrapped stuffed jalapenos. Nothing like a couple of 7.5% beers to wash away the pain of "failure". 

Octoberfest beers are out.  Some really good ones up here.  Then again, you drink Miller Lite, sooooo.....
I saw my annual demise was on the shelf at the market across the street this weekend. I resisted on that trip, but it'll be more miss than hit from now until they sell out. So I better lose these extra few pounds before Labor Day weekend.

Yeah, it's awesome. A yearly trip with my uncle, and my 2 brothers usually come in as well. I'll be celebrating my 50th birthday on Thursday sitting on the river with a cold beer and catching fish.

:headbang:
Happy BDAY.  

I'll be celebrating my 50th ....  Checks the Hanson calendar....   doing 1Mi WU -10Mi MP - 1Mi CD  Last effort before the taper. 

You win.  

Yeah, it's awesome. A yearly trip with my uncle, and my 2 brothers usually come in as well. I'll be celebrating my 50th birthday on Thursday sitting on the river with a cold beer and catching fish.

:headbang:
Where exactly do you guys do this again?

Where exactly do you guys do this again?
My uncle lives in Wausau, so on Thursday we'll do a stretch of river just north of town. I pick up one of my brothers around 10 in Minneapolis, so we'll be there about 1 or so. On the river by 2, and then my other brother drives in from the Chicago area around dinner time.

We'll do a 12 hour float on Friday - we drop in up-river even more and float back to the north edge of town. We start about 8:30 am and float until dark. Saturday we'll hit a few spots close to town.

Good times. 

Celebrated my 43rd Saturday. Wife, who doesn't drink much, went to a local brewery and bought a 6 pack variety of local brews. She had no clue what she was buying but did well. Overpaid but good stuff - A couple sours, a couple IPA.  Then friends brought me a 4 pack of Kentucky bourbon ale. All after I had gone to the class 6 which had a buy 2, get one free 12 pack sale (voodoo ranger), and a fifth of decent bourbon (Jefferson's). 

I think I'm set for a few days. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Celebrated my 43rd Saturday. Wife, who doesn't drink much, went to a local brewery and bought a 6 pack variety of local brews. She had no clue what she was buying but did well. A couple sours, a couple IPA.  Then friends brought me a 4 pack of Kentucky bourbon ale. All after I had gone to the class 6 which had a buy 2, get one free 12 pack sale (voodoo ranger), and a fifth of decent bourbon (Jefferson's). 

Happy Birthday!!

Celebrated my 43rd Saturday. Wife, who doesn't drink much, went to a local brewery and bought a 6 pack variety of local brews. She had no clue what she was buying but did well. Overpaid but good stuff - A couple sours, a couple IPA.  Then friends brought me a 4 pack of Kentucky bourbon ale. All after I had gone to the class 6 which had a buy 2, get one free 12 pack sale (voodoo ranger), and a fifth of decent bourbon (Jefferson's). 

Happy Birthday.  :thumbup:

:banned:

Yeah, it's pretty aggressive. But I'm going to try the Hansen 1/2 marathon plan for 18 weeks, which looks every bit as intense as their marathon plan. With the next 3 months as more base building, I want to push myself on this one. If I can pull this off, then I have a long-term goal I might shoot for.
:yes:

I do have that to look forward to. Plus my Boston Marathon qualifying time goes up to 3:30.  Only need to shave off 28 minutes or so.
My one and only road marathon puts me squarely in the 70-74 age group qualifying times.  Just have to be able to run the same time at 70 that I did back when I was 36.

Soooo....my plan for next spring is totally up in the air.  Tried getting into London via my Seven Continents Club membership with Marathon Tours, but I just missed it.  They were able to confirm SCC members that joined up until March 1, 2018, and I joined April 16, 2018. The good news is that I'm sitting at the top of the list, so I should definitely get an entry for London 2021.

Fallback plan was to do the same as this past year, i.e. race Carmel on April 4 and run Boston two weeks later for fun.  But now I'm thinking to go through the SCC again to see if I can get an entry for Tokyo on March 1, in which case I'd maybe still do Carmel and Boston, but then I'd likely go to Boston myself and try to do it on the (super) cheap.  Anybody else running Boston and want a roommate?  :lmao:

ETA:  Less than $900 for a direct flight from Chicago to Tokyo.  Nice.  Also, there's still a slight chance that I get into London via Marathon Tours' random drawing.  Like I said, totally up in the air...
Yeah, so I didn't get into Tokyo either...  :kicksrock:

So it's looking like London in 2021 and Tokyo in 2022 for me.

Still not sure what I want to do next spring, and I'll have to make a decision pretty soon, since registration for Boston opens in 3 weeks.  As of right now, I'm leaning towards racing Carmel and skipping Boston completely.  Between the weather and the hills, I never seem to run well on that course, and every year it seems like fewer and fewer of my friends are going anyway.  Plus that's $3K that I could use on a different vacation to somewhere I've never been.  Prague Marathon is May 5...  :whistle:

Users who are viewing this thread