What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (14 Viewers)

And welcome @Otis, to echo what @gianmarco said this thread is amazing.  I just started running this summer and have had some injuries along the way...just take it easy.  I ran a half marathon last month for my first race and am doing a 15K tomorrow.  There are a lot of maniacs in here who run a ridiculous amount of miles at a ridiculous speed.  They may seem intimidating because of what they can do, but everyone in here brings great advice.  

Uh.  Hi everyone.  My name is Otis, and I'm an out of shape middle aged guy looking to start running.  And this thread scares me.
A bunch of us have started running using advice in this thread. You'll do well.

Having also experienced a "failed start" a number of years ago, I discovered here that I made all the classic mistakes then. Tried too much running, too fast. 

Run slow. Run/walk programs have been proven to be the most successful. 

As for the watch, Apple is great but comes with some battery anxiety (1-2 days per charge). The Garmin watches will get you a week. And Garmin Connect is probably the best fitness/sleep/HR tracking app out there. 

Sign up on Strava. If you're at all competitive, even with yourself, it's a great source of motivation. 

And sign up for a race, even if in the distant future. Always good to have a goal to work towards. 

A bunch of us have started running using advice in this thread. You'll do well.

Having also experienced a "failed start" a number of years ago, I discovered here that I made all the classic mistakes then. Tried too much running, too fast. 

Run slow. Run/walk programs have been proven to be the most successful. 

As for the watch, Apple is great but comes with some battery anxiety (1-2 days per charge). The Garmin watches will get you a week. And Garmin Connect is probably the best fitness/sleep/HR tracking app out there. 

Sign up on Strava. If you're at all competitive, even with yourself, it's a great source of motivation. 

And sign up for a race, even if in the distant future. Always good to have a goal to work towards. 
The Strava thing is legit. It keeps you motivated. It keeps you accountable because we all follow each other. And it's great for stat keeping to see what you do, where you used to be, and everything with it. 

I was leaning Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music as I really don't need any bells or whistles.  With many users of the Forerunner 245, I'm now rethinking this.  Plus it just dawned on me that Iguana's Monumental fiasco may have happened on a Vivoactive 3.  If that's the case... 
I do have a vivoactive 3 with music but I'm pretty sure the fiasco was my fault. Other than that, I loved it. 

All comments welcomed.

-Oats 
Welcome aboard. I was in the exact same spot as you almost exactly a year ago - getting older, way out of shape, history of running but not much recently. Here's a few things I've learned related to your questions...

2) will do this first as it's probably more important... proper stretching and tending to your body is far more important now than when you did this in the younger days. Early on I had several issues with things that felt like injuries that a little doctor Google ended up telling me could be fixed with better stretching routines. Knees, hips, feet all felt better when I spent a little time on them either before or after running. 

1) again, being in a similar spot with similar goals, I did a bunch of research on watches before getting one for Christmas last year. Choice came down to that these days I'd probably cut to two:  Garmin's vivoactive 3 with music or an apple watch.

I liked the golf options and a couple other things about the Garmin more. Apple watch has more apps and such of that's important to you. 

I'm not against them. Briefly brought up the idea with my wife last night. Her response? "Why Kansas City? I meant someplace fun. What is there to do in KC?"

:lmao:
@ChiefD Ok looking up. While on an adventure date today, my wife brought this up and was asking about it. It's still on the table. She's pretty easy going so odds are decent this could happen. Just have to look at school schedules and such. 

My questions are not specific to any brand/model, but

-How long should it take for satellites to lock?  Do you launch the watch near a window or something before you run? 

- Seems like the newer watches can connect to wifi or phone via bluetooth.  Any issues are should look for in syncing to Strava? 

I'm leaning towards Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music.  Main interests are reliable pace tracking.  Music would be plus, but I'm skeptical that it will be 'better' than phone + wired headsets (I want to be able to adjust volume effortlessly) but I'm willing to try bluetooth again.  If it has HR, I want to be able to turn it off so some ###hole on here isn't judging my runs. 😉 
My vivoactive 3 with music takes very little time to connect to GPS - 30 seconds?  Bluetooth to my phone and uploads very shortly after I save (as long as I hit save!) - have Garmin and strava synched so goes straight there too.

Also bluetooth to my aftershokz headphones. Touch of a button to turn up or down or pause/ start. 

HR can be disabled. Also, it's a setting in strava to hide that if you want to track it but not show too the public. 

Thanks all. Great stuff so far.  Appreciate it. 
By coming in here @MAC_32 will be very proud of you.

Then he will be crawling up your ###### to keep you going.  :lol:

In all seriousness, I’ve followed your progress in the weight loss thread for awhile. And I have to say, you have done great by at least trying cardio. And you have stuck with it for a bit. Which means, in my mind at least, you have started to turn the corner.

And by coming in here, you’ve stumbled across a lot of levels of fitness and dedication. We ALL started where you are. And great things are happening with the guys in here.

The best part is, nobody here cares if you are running a couple of miles or maybe want to run a race someday. The point is you got off your couch and started to do something about it. 

Congrats! Keep it up.  :thumbup:

@JShare87 - how did you feel during and at the end of your run today? Any noticeable improvements toward the end in terms of feeling stronger than normal?

@ChiefD Ok looking up. While on an adventure date today, my wife brought this up and was asking about it. It's still on the table. She's pretty easy going so odds are decent this could happen. Just have to look at school schedules and such. 
We could always do a nice dinner downtown and go listen to some live music if she is into such a thing. There are a few cool jazz joints that have an old school vibe to them. KC is a great blues and jazz town.

One other note... always a decent idea to go to a running store and have them check your gait and the shoes you have and make a recommendation or 2.
I may do this. In the meantime a lot of the reading in doing online days some of the pronation stuff is hogwash, and it’s mainly just finding a show that feels as comfortable as possible and let’s you feel natural when you run. 
Friend of mine who is a big runner just said try a bunch until you find a pair you like.  

Any thoughts on lightweight shoes vs heavy shoes?  So many of the popular running shoes tend to be heavy, and have never felt comfortable to me (eg, all the classic clunky New Balance shoes), whereas the super lightweight fly knit deals these days always feel so much better to me (the Reebok Floatride Run Fast seem to get excellent reviews). 

I may do this. In the meantime a lot of the reading in doing online days some of the pronation stuff is hogwash, and it’s mainly just finding a show that feels as comfortable as possible and let’s you feel natural when you run. 
Friend of mine who is a big runner just said try a bunch until you find a pair you like.  

Any thoughts on lightweight shoes vs heavy shoes?  So many of the popular running shoes tend to be heavy, and have never felt comfortable to me (eg, all the classic clunky New Balance shoes), whereas the super lightweight fly knit deals these days always feel so much better to me (the Reebok Floatride Run Fast seem to get excellent reviews). 
Shoes are a totally personal thing. Just make sure you go to a good running store (not a big box sporting goods store) and combine their advice with what feels good to you and you’ll be good. 

Did a couple searches for some different races. Thinking about running this one.*

Regardless of what distance, if any, I decide to do at Carmel again, this would be about 3 weeks before that so it would fit in nicely, IMO.

* Only the short distance! Don't go thinking you have me THAT hooked!
Did you end up signing up for it? We lived less than an hour from there for 4 years, I kept wanting to run it but never could due to our schedule. 

Getting old is weird. 

I now weigh the 2nd most I ever have, and yesterday at the color run, which I wouldn't really classify as a race, I ran under 20 for the first time in years. Barely, and the course might have been a little short, but considering I wasn't taking it seriously, didn't warm up, wore old shoes (didn't want to risk the color ruining new shoes), wore sweat pants, haven't trained for short distance, had planned to run it with my 8yo (he ended up doing the mile with a friend), I'll take it. 

And now I kind of want to register for a 5k and train for it.  Obviously some of the benefits of marathon training transfer to shorter distances.  No idea when I'd add one in as a focus point as I'm basically scheduled through August now. 

Getting old is weird. 

I now weigh the 2nd most I ever have, and yesterday at the color run, which I wouldn't really classify as a race, I ran under 20 for the first time in years. Barely, and the course might have been a little short, but considering I wasn't taking it seriously, didn't warm up, wore old shoes (didn't want to risk the color ruining new shoes), wore sweat pants, haven't trained for short distance, had planned to run it with my 8yo (he ended up doing the mile with a friend), I'll take it. 

And now I kind of want to register for a 5k and train for it.  Obviously some of the benefits of marathon training transfer to shorter distances.  No idea when I'd add one in as a focus point as I'm basically scheduled through August now. 
Well la-di-da look at me I’m just an old fat guy shuffling to the race in sweat pants and ratty old tennis sneakers and ran a sub 20 5K.......

We should probably also unpack some of our inside jokes:

You will see RF:DBAP written with great frequency. This stands for a fool proof racing strategy, run fast dont be a #####.

You will also see BMF. That's short for bad mother ####er. That's what you tell yourself you are when you're tired towards the end of a face. Jshare's patent is still pending. 

You will also see many of us refer to a 10 minute pre race jog at times. This can be referred to as neurotism, eroticism, necrophilia, and more. 

Pbm, juxt, triman, steelcurtain, and grue are our veterans. They're machines. Hopefully some others make their returns in 2020 (ned/hang10 > hi). Point is, listen to them. 

We've had lots of n00bs make some major strides in a very short time since getting active here the last couple years. 

Chef la-di-da's everybody. Sometimes with his shovel. 

We all complain about winter. And summer. Except duck. 

If it's not on strava then it didn't happen (regards, iggy)

The day you figure out you're a real runner is the day you have a mid run #### emergency like @AAABatteries described yesterday. 

And most importantly, there are a lot of good dudes in this group. If you aren't already aware stick around and you'll see what I'm talking about. 

Last edited by a moderator:
@JShare87 - how did you feel during and at the end of your run today? Any noticeable improvements toward the end in terms of feeling stronger than normal?
Thanks for asking. Not sure if anyone else in here takes into account the Garmin reading at the start of their runs. For instance, it will give a performance score early on (-5 to +5). Lately all my runs have been in the negative, this was no different (-1).

The run started out tough, HR was way too high for the pace I was at. Although it was easy, I just wasn’t close to performing well. Struggled to find a groove but about 2 miles after my gel and drink, I felt great. Started to cramp up a bit around mile 17, but I had plenty left in the tank. Positive I could’ve ran 8.2 more and held the pace. Wasn’t thrilled with the run but considering it was faster than my marathon PR and it’s the first of the cycle, I was okay with the results. I know I am capable of so much more, just need to continue to figure a few things out. 

Can’t believe I never ran with fuel before. Even before my PR marathon I didn’t eat and only had a tailwind at the halfway point. So, I am going to make it a point to fuel up before and during my Saturday runs the best I can. Think I will continue to run fasted for my others just for the added fat burning benefits. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I know you all joke about chews. What are they and what do they do? Any preference on the best ones? I just absolutely hate running with anything in my pockets or hands. I guess you could say I am the opposite of @MAC_32. Guy holds half an electronic store in his hands with wires dangling everywhere. Plus an entire candy store in his mouth and pockets. 

Thanks for asking. Not sure if anyone else in here takes into account the Garmin reading at the start of their runs. For instance, it will give a performance score early on (-5 to +5). Lately all my runs have been in the negative, this was no different (-1).

The run started out tough, HR was way too high for the pace I was at. Although it was easy, I just wasn’t close to performing well. Struggled to find a groove but about 2 miles after my gel and drink, I felt great. Started to cramp up a bit around mile 17, but I had plenty left in the tank. Positive I could’ve ran 8.2 more and held the pace. Wasn’t thrilled with the run but considering it was faster than my marathon PR and it’s the first of the cycle, I was okay with the results. I know I am capable of so much more, just need to continue to figure a few things out. 

Can’t believe I never ran with fuel before. Even before my PR marathon I didn’t eat and only had a tailwind at the halfway point. So, I am going to make it a point to fuel up before and during my Saturday runs the best I can. Think I will continue to run faster for my others just for the added fat burning benefits. 
From my newbish perspective, I think that performance score is garbage for several reasons.

-- HR can be more variable during the first few minutes of a run. This can be true variability or your watch just not reading completely accurately to start. So it's not always using good data

-- It doesn't take weather into account. So that's a huge variable

-- It only shows at the beginning of a run. Some of my best runs don't always start off great

My suggestion: Stop looking at that thing. Seriously. You know you better than that watch. The only thing it's doing is sending negative thoughts into your head when you are trying to complete a difficult workout. I've seen you mention that score before and I think you let it bother you more than it should, which should be none at all.

Did you end up signing up for it? We lived less than an hour from there for 4 years, I kept wanting to run it but never could due to our schedule. 
And, where did you live down there? My father-in-law built a "rustic cabin" in the woods there 40 years ago or so. It's outside Eddyville about a 1/2 mile or so off of Lake Barkely. We inherited it awhile ago and go down there several times a year. LBL is very cool. We've hiked there numerous times as well as going to the old farm/village thing and other stuff. We are in Grand  Rivers, where the race starts, often. 

Also, I know you all joke about chews. What are they and what do they do? Any preference on the best ones? I just absolutely hate running with anything in my pockets or hands. I guess you could say I am the opposite of @MAC_32. Guy holds half an electronic store in his hands with wires dangling everywhere. Plus an entire candy store in his mouth and pockets. 
Schtick aside, I use fruit snacks now instead of chews. Stomach handles them better and caffeine aside I dont think they're much different than what you get out of a chew. MUCH cheaper too. Giant box at Costco for $7-$9. Opened ziplock bag in one pocket. Put it in there before most runs over an hour - just in case. 

I need to learn about this too.  Yesterday I did almost 3 hours and the only thing I had was two sips of water.  I'm about to ask a really dumb question - how much (say a rough %) of your legs dying could be due to water/food intake?  I think I just assumed my legs aren't close to trained enough but maybe I'm just an idiot and need to take some fuel with me. 

I did already tell the wife I want the flipbelt for Xmas so I'll have something to carry it in.

Getting old is weird. 

I now weigh the 2nd most I ever have, and yesterday at the color run, which I wouldn't really classify as a race, I ran under 20 for the first time in years.
Look at this guy!   Nice run @-OZ-!  I saw on strava that you were close to 20 and 'grats on beating that.   I think you should have people throw colored powder on you at every 5K now. It can be your dum dum. 

I have used the Clif Bloks. They are basically oversized gummy bears. You can get them in a variety of flavors, with or without caffeine or salt, etc depending on what you want.

From my newbish perspective, I think that performance score is garbage for several reasons.

-- HR can be more variable during the first few minutes of a run. This can be true variability or your watch just not reading completely accurately to start. So it's not always using good data

-- It doesn't take weather into account. So that's a huge variable

-- It only shows at the beginning of a run. Some of my best runs don't always start off great

My suggestion: Stop looking at that thing. Seriously. You know you better than that watch. The only thing it's doing is sending negative thoughts into your head when you are trying to complete a difficult workout. I've seen you mention that score before and I think you let it bother you more than it should, which should be none at all.
We found the guy with the lousy Garmin scores. 

I need to learn about this too.  Yesterday I did almost 3 hours and the only thing I had was two sips of water.  I'm about to ask a really dumb question - how much (say a rough %) of your legs dying could be due to water/food intake?  I think I just assumed my legs aren't close to trained enough but maybe I'm just an idiot and need to take some fuel with me. 

I did already tell the wife I want the flipbelt for Xmas so I'll have something to carry it in.
I always assumed the same thing about my legs. I can honestly say I had much more spring in my step at the end of my 18 miler yesterday. 

Schtick aside, I use fruit snacks now instead of chews. Stomach handles them better and caffeine aside I dont think they're much different than what you get out of a chew. MUCH cheaper too. Giant box at Costco for $7-$9. Opened ziplock bag in one pocket. Put it in there before most runs over an hour - just in case. 
Makes sense, IMO. As I was typing that they are basically giant gummy bears, I was wondering if gummy bears would work just as well as the chews... 

BTW... With a month plus of free eating and sitting here having donuts for breakfast, there's no chance I beat @gianmarco to 185#. Have to get serious again about eating starting tomorrow. 

Users who are viewing this thread