What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (12 Viewers)

Awesome report @xulf.

Love the fact that you and your wife and both tackling these races. A good way to have both of you involved with running, nutrition, lifestyle change....etc.

Well done sir.  :headbang:

Love that he went for the 1:39:XX despite the injury. Just hope his ### wasn't the reason for the late race fade and that it was just fitness related. 
The splits seemed to slide gradually rather than a sudden drop. I'd guess the time away hurt some but didn't seem to be a dramatic drop at the very end so hopefully the ### was fine. 

Love that he went for the 1:39:XX despite the injury. Just hope his ### wasn't the reason for the late race fade and that it was just fitness related. 
Yup, was going for the 1:39.  My glute/hip started to chat with me around 5K and got louder as the race progressed.  But it's not the reason for missing the 99-minute goal.  It was fitness.  Taking the last month (mostly) off brought me down just enough from my peak to drive the miss.

I'll do a short RR tomorrow, but I'm disappointed.  Even though it was a PR.  

20C (70F) temps didn't help, either.  If you look at my HR on Strava, I basically ran the last 15K with my HR above 160.  Got to 179 at the end, which is my max HR.  Really tried to hold the pace through the last 8K, but it just wasn't happening.

It's a great race, though.  So much energy and running on the strip is a blast.  My wife was even on the course near the finish and gave me a cheer.

@Zasada heck of a go at it considering what you were dealing with and the time off pre-race.  Glad to see you still went after the goal and congrats on the PR.  I know it didnt go exactly the way you wanted, but still a great effort!

Yup, was going for the 1:39.  My glute/hip started to chat with me around 5K and got louder as the race progressed.  But it's not the reason for missing the 99-minute goal.  It was fitness.  Taking the last month (mostly) off brought me down just enough from my peak to drive the miss.

20C (70F) temps didn't help, either.  If you look at my HR on Strava, I basically ran the last 15K with my HR above 160.  Got to 179 at the end, which is my max HR.  Really tried to hold the pace through the last 8K, but it just wasn't happening.

It's a great race, though.  So much energy and running on the strip is a blast.  My wife was even on the course near the finish and gave me a cheer.
Nice work and way to grind.  Don’t underestimate the impact of the 70 degree temps especially coming from the great white north!

That's toasty... Excellent effort, IMO. Looking forward to more details. Keep your head up, IMO. 

Impressive run and race given your situation (injury, decreased fitness, higher race temp).  And you PR'd.

You have absolutely nothing up be disappointed about. That's an incredibly successful result. Top 3% in your age group in a big race like that and given what you were up against? Crazy good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you see @SteveC702 while you were there? Just saw on my feed he ran the full. You guys passed each other a couple times per the strava "fly by" thing.
Nope -- didn't know to look for him, and even if I did, it was dark for most of the race and my vision is always total #### when I run.  Cool that we were in proximity though!

well in that case, I'm only slightly content that I still own the FFA leaderboard for Luxor Flats Segment
hey... saying that made me go look at my run in vegas earlier this year... there's a few segments on the run I did that several people here have also run. That's kind of cool.

Yeah. Reading his strava report is hilarious, imo. "out for a training run, figured I might as well pace some women trying to run a OTQ HM. la-di-da!". 
Crazy!  However, I see the top female in the HM ran 1:13:20.  That must have been the one he led through mile 11.  Tough for her to miss the presumed sub-1:13 target.  

The second half of the marathon course is kind of nuts with all the weaving and 180 degree turns.  All in all, though, amazing that Steve runs a 2:32 marathon ..as a training run.  

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/athletics/2019/11/18/exclusive-interview-camille-heron-puked-fouled-collapsed/

H E R O

“I was trying this new fuelling plan with this new product and it wasn’t going well,” Herron explains. “The race was in France, so most of the rest rooms were squat toilets. For 350 athletes, they only had three normal toilets.”

On her third bathroom stop in quick succession, she found a queue of athletes so decided to carry on. “But on that lap my bowels sort of unleashed themselves,” she says, laughing about it now. “But this is ultra running. S--- happens. Literally!”

She switched her food to cups of mashed potato, makeshift burritos and her secret weapon – beer. Her condition did not improve but then a switch flicked in her mind.

"By the finish Herron had run 168 miles, the equivalent of running 6½ consecutive marathons, each in an average time of 3 hr 44 min." 

Well that puts things in perspective I guess. Wow. 

:kicksrock:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread