What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (6 Viewers)

Dr_Zaius said:
Seriously, I'm surprised we have so many bannings with this group.  To quote Elle Woods, "Exercise gives you endorphins.  Endorphins make you happy!"
Timeouts have always been a little haphazard but the last year has been over the top.  I've definitely "earned' some of my TOs by being rude toward politicians but I've also gotten 3 timeouts for jokes in the FFA.  I got 30 days off for making what I thought was a perfectly acceptable joke in that thread where some of us had an initial scare about Duck passing away and it said I was getting 30 days for making a joke about a FBG dying.  :shrug:     And my joke wasn't even about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Timeouts have always been a little haphazard but the last year has been over the top.  I've definitely "earned' some of my TOs by being rude toward politicians but I've also gotten 3 timeouts for jokes in the FFA.  I got 30 days off for making what I thought was a perfectly acceptable joke in that thread where some of us had an initial scare about Duck passing away and it said I was getting 30 days for making a joke about a FBG dying.  :shrug:     And my joke wasn't even about that.
RIP Ocram

Don't sleep on Robert "Bobby" Tonyan at TE.  5 catches last week on 5 targets for 50 yards and a TD.  Rodgers seems to really love the guy.
I'm OK at TE right now.  As a Packers fan, do you know who gets the WR2 spot if Adams doesn't play and MVS is WR1?

:coffee:

Seriously, though, nice job!  And sub 20 is definitely in the cards for you in the not too distance future.  You've been killing it this year.
you d!ck  :lmao:

Maybe if I can maintain a mid-190s HR for over a mile, like your freakish abilities, I can get there one day  :D

The funny thing is, after 10 weeks of heavy volume (for me) that resulted in a +2 on my VO2Max, I lost both of those gains this week...one while pacing my wife, and then the other today.  I  hopefully will gain those back quickly, but it has been a weird week.

Up and at 'em for a little 40-degree, 26.2-mile training run from home to the Milwaukee lakefront. One of my buddies is gonna join me for the first 15-20 miles, and I'll finish it out on my own. Dropped my car at a parking ramp last night so I'll have it at the finish.

Who else is running this morning? @ChiefD?

xulf said:
I ran my Chance for Hope 5K today.

As I've mentioned a million times, my HR has sucked recently on my runs, and this is a step back week in terms of mileage.  I wanted to get the run done in September, but that wasn't in the cards and bigbottom said it didn't need done by month end, that we just needed to register.

I chose a different route than what I had done for my FBG 5K b/c I wanted to be able to run to it after walking my kids to school.  I did all sorts of things wrong today  :angry:    It was cold out, so I wore a long sleeve, gloves, and ear cover / headband thing.  I had all of these, and my mask that we have to wear when dropping off the kids.  So, I dropped them off, stuck my mask in my pocket and slowly jogged to the starting point.  HR was pretty high considering my pace...so, I was worried.  I was also sweating way more than I should have.

This was a route I had never run before but had mapped out earlier this week.  Got to the starting point and realized there was no way I wanted my gloves and my ear warmer., so I took them off and stuff them in my pockets along with my mask.  I now had hugely bulging pockets (no, I was not happy to see you).  I really didn't want the long sleeve either, but there was nowhere to put that.

Mile 1 - 6:24 (153 HR)

Net downhill and started out fast.  Took a bit, but found my pace, but my HR was already in the mid-170s by the end of this mile, which is not at all a good thing for me.  Based on my Unproductive status, I knew that this was going to hurt and that I may crash and burn after mile 2.  

Mile 2 - 6:36 (175 HR)

This was a pretty flat mile.  Since this was the first time running the route, I wasn't familiar with what I was doing.  I made a left turn one street too early and ended up running an impromptu loop.  I lucked out that everything connected back to where I wanted to go,  but it really threw me off as I was running lost for about half a mile.  HR was in the upper 170s by the end of this mile and the delirium was starting to set in...but we push on.

Mile 3 - 6:40 (179 HR)

This mile started with an uphill before turning into a slow decline for the rest of the mile.  My pace wasn't looking great and my HR was hitting 180.  I apparently had a little left b/c I started picking it up with about 1/4 mile left.  I had to run through a tunnel under a main road and the uphill out of that back to the street sucked, but then it was all downhill.

Mile 3.1 - 5:38 (183 HR)

Gave it all I had left.  180+ HR is pure misery for me.  I actually had to slightly slow this down b/c my chest was hurting and I didn't want to die.

5K Time - 20:16

I missed my PR by 7 seconds.  I am happy with the results and it was such a great cause to run for.  I am also pretty sure that if conditions were different (physical and logistic), I could have beaten that PR and flirted with sub 20:00.
Awesome run! So talented.

Up and at 'em for a little 40-degree, 26.2-mile training run from home to the Milwaukee lakefront. One of my buddies is gonna join me for the first 15-20 miles, and I'll finish it out on my own. Dropped my car at a parking ramp last night so I'll have it at the finish.

:hey:

On my way out for 12-15.

Gotta love the fall for running here in the north east...unless you're in the bay area where it's almost always like this. Looking at you, duck.

Have a good run. Sitting here getting ready to check out some places. I brought a fishing rod and bought a one day license so I can make a few casts off the docks of the houses we are looking at. I’m sure the real estate agent will appreciate that.

I completed my 10K #ChanceForHopeRun. It will not let me upload results because the deadline is over. I wanted to stick to the commitment of running it for @bigbottom and the amazing cause. Final time 46:16. I wore a knee brace which seemed to help a bit. Have a great Saturday and weekend everyone!
Thank you so much!  That is a great time!!!

:hey:

On my way out for 12-15.

Gotta love the fall for running here in the north east...unless you're in the bay area where it's almost always like this. Looking at you, duck.
Did 14.

No plan for the day, just wanted to run some miles and see what the legs and body wanted to do. Have some new awful neighbors in the building next door who turned their place into an every weekend club with dj, bouncer and constant #### dropping from their place on the roof next door to our patio on the second floor courtyard. It was another long night with crap sleep (not helped by snoring wife), so I wasn't sure how it would all feel today.

Felt less than ideal, but better once I warmed up- gorgeous day. Ran a little deeper along the brooklyn waterfront than previously- some great views along the way. It's a cool hood deeper in- very industrial shipping yards with residential pushed up against it. Pretty barren on a weekend morning.

Once I settled into an easy comfortable pace, I decided to try to pick up the back half. Ended up with strava PRs for 1/2 marathon, 20k, 10m, and 15k. Although looking at my strava, I apparently didn't really pick up the back half outside of a mile here or there...I guess I picked up my perceived effort.

Now to try to keep waking up in the am during the work week.

Who else is running this morning?
I'm no marathons-as-a-training-run #BMF, but I got out to the trails this morning.  35F at the start, almost no wind.  Clear skies.  Was just perfect weather.  There were gloves, though.  Headlamps until sunrise.

21K (13mi) & 600m (1950') of elevation.  A few deer along the way.  No other humans other than my friend.

Really nice run this morning!  Nice and chill with my buddy for the first 14+, miles, then put on my music and ran solo the rest of the way.  Averaged 8:10/mile for the first 15 and 7:32/mile for the rest.  Total time (not including a couple of quick stops to refill handheld) was 3:26:54 (7:53/mile), AHR only 141.  

Another 12 (slooooooooooooooooow) miles tomorrow will give me 76 miles for the week, then it's taper time.

Occurred to me during the run that my route this morning would make for a really nice "real" marathon course.  Flat with a couple of small rollers for the first half, then one good-sized hill where you climb about 90 feet over 2/3-mile, and then downhill to flat for the rest of the way.  Garmin says 475 feet of elevation gain, but it's at least 300 feet of net loss point-to-point.  Awesome view of the city around the 20-mile marker after you pass Miller Park, and a really nice finish along the lakefront.  

Hmmmm....

Well, in a not-totally-unexpected-and-yet-thoroughly-disappointing development so typical of 2020, it sounds like there's a good chance that my 50-miler might get canceled.  The RD is a friend of mine, and he told me tonight that the local health department might rescind his permits for the race.  As some of you might be aware, Wisconsin is super bad with COVID right now, and Green Bay (only 45 mins from where my race ends) is one of the worst-hit areas in the country.  I still feel like a 50-mile road race is pretty safe by its very nature, but I also understand that the optics of holding an event like this wouldn't be good.  

Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it still happens but fully expecting that it won't.  If it gets canceled, I'll likely just pivot to the 52-mile end-to-end FKT attempt on my local rail trail that I was planning for November.  At least my training won't be for nothing, and I'll have the luxury of picking the perfect day.

you d!ck  :lmao:

Maybe if I can maintain a mid-190s HR for over a mile, like your freakish abilities, I can get there one day  :D

The funny thing is, after 10 weeks of heavy volume (for me) that resulted in a +2 on my VO2Max, I lost both of those gains this week...one while pacing my wife, and then the other today.  I  hopefully will gain those back quickly, but it has been a weird week.
:lmao:  I figured you'd like that  :ptts:

Really, I'm getting my licks in while I still can.  I fully expect you to be beating my PRs for shorter distances within a year or two.  I'm at the stage where I'm trying to maybe eke a few more seconds off my 5K, whereas you are still in the rapid improvement stage.

Watching the London marathon as I get ready for my virtual London marathon.

i hate races which have pacers.  Let Kipchogee and the others fight it out on their own.  These guys are professional athletes!  What’s the point of having a pacer in a race?  What happened to every man for himself?

I know I’m a pacer but that’s to help an amateur meet some personal goal. They aren’t running for hundreds of thousands of dollars of prize money.  #RantOver

So my Vivoactive is dead and my old 910xt won't charge so I probably only have a few more runs left on the battery.

I think I'm going to go with the Forerunner 245 w/ Music. It seems like it will get all the basic running data I'd want plus being able to download music will allow me to run without a phone.  Are you aware of any downsides?

If I have to run watchless for a while, I can just hit the record button on the Strava App on my phone, right?

So my Vivoactive is dead and my old 910xt won't charge so I probably only have a few more runs left on the battery.

I think I'm going to go with the Forerunner 245 w/ Music. It seems like it will get all the basic running data I'd want plus being able to download music will allow me to run without a phone.  Are you aware of any downsides?

If I have to run watchless for a while, I can just hit the record button on the Strava App on my phone, right?
Yes. 

You'll like that watch.

https://www.wareable.com/garmin/garmin-forerunner-245-music-vs-forerunner-645-music-7328

I went 645M back when JShare was selling them. Can’t go wrong with either and prices are close these days I think. 
I will mention that it was the 245 that got the newer HR technology (and the 945).  I've found the HR sensor to be really reliable and accurate, significantly better than the 235.  Just something to keep in mind.

Also, I get a discount through my work for Garmin wearables.  It looks like I can get that 245 music for $280 ($70 off the regular price).  The cheapest I'm seeing on Amazon is $320 in white.  If you're interested, let me know.

I have the 245M.  I sometimes have issues with it tracking my HR as my cadence or some weighted average of the two.  Also, somewhere along the way, something happened and I have to wear it on my right wrist when I run for the music to work with my headphones-that was not the case when I first got it.

Overall, it works fine and the issues I mentioned may just be my watch in particular.  Good GPS and no need for a phone.  I use Amazon Prime for my music transfer to the watch, but they have spotify and other apps that work too.  

I have the 245M.  I sometimes have issues with it tracking my HR as my cadence or some weighted average of the two.  Also, somewhere along the way, something happened and I have to wear it on my right wrist when I run for the music to work with my headphones-that was not the case when I first got it.

Overall, it works fine and the issues I mentioned may just be my watch in particular.  Good GPS and no need for a phone.  I use Amazon Prime for my music transfer to the watch, but they have spotify and other apps that work too.  
I have Apple Music right now which I don't believe is compatible.  Switching to Spotify is no big deal though.  It seems like all the Garmins have these inconsistent flaky issues.  I guess we have to accept these annoyances as I don't think another family of watches is better overall.

I have Apple Music right now which I don't believe is compatible.  Switching to Spotify is no big deal though.  It seems like all the Garmins have these inconsistent flaky issues.  I guess we have to accept these annoyances as I don't think another family of watches is better overall.
Yeah, not sure what else to but to deal with the bad.

One other thing, I really dislike the standard watch face -- there are a lot of options to download for free through the IQ store.  I personally like the 645 face and use that option.

I think you can get Apple Music onto these via computer/wire but not Bluetooth - I’ve read as much but not tried as my personal laptop has been taken by my kids. Not sure if it’s easy to do or something complex. 

About 4 miles in this morning I was first on the scene to a bike pretzel job with a tandem bike older couple and a teen girl (in a group of like 6 more kids and 2 adults) that went head on. Girl was saying she lost visibility due to sun in eyes, her front tire looked like impact was high. The tandem couple were older and strewn on the side of the trail.

Got the bikes and kids out of the way of trail traffic that might fly around curve and then was able to get the man off to the side, his helmet was cracked and he was shook. Both there glasses/sunglasses were off in the grass. Wife was on the back of bike when they passed me about 5 minute prior. She seemed to land on her right side and was pretty pained & upset as she had knee surgery few weeks prior. Got her off the trail and and they were calming down pretty well. No tension to deal with or anger so that was good.

Offered to run back a few miles to bring their car but another adult offered a ride to the man who was now much more with it.  Conversation shifted to ambulance y/n and other folks had it under control.  Being more of an internet nice guy than an internet medical professional, I headed off and heard a siren a few mins later. Good call.  

Be safe crew. 

Hit 1000 miles for the year with my run yesterday, a milestone I usually hit in early-mid December.  Should end up somewhere around 1250, half of what the big boys in here are targeting.  Now I just have to find some sort of outlet to put the training to use...  

Some random updates on my training: 

You may recall that I shut things down to zero activity during May and June.  I packed on my COVID 19 on the scales wallowing in my injury and quarantine limitations. So, when I started cycling at the start of July it was nice just to be doing something and I continue to have appreciation for any activity I can do. Since July, I've been pretty regular about bumping up the mileage and I've also added in the elliptical which is good to be able to cross train and have something for rainy days. 

Calf/knee injury wise - the bad news is that I'm still pretty sure that I won't run again. I can feel pain within a few footsteps if I try running (which I never experienced last few years).  Good news is that cycling and elliptical have pretty minimal impact on it.  I still get sore and I'm aware that the joint doesn't like to go in certain directions, but on a day-by-day basis it's minor and not getting worse as I ramp up activity levels. 

Comparing running v. cycling: If I was 100% healthy, I'd probably prefer running.  I like that there is no preparation with running - just you and the ground.  Running also is more mentally relaxing as you are rarely worrying about braking, turns etc.   But, I am finding that cycling can be more fun.  In running, if I got into groove on a long run, it was an awesome feeling.  Cycling has more of these moments - when you get the bike humming, it's a blast.   What I loved about running was the satisfaction from pushing yourself more than you thought the body was able to.  After several weeks now, I'm able to get this from the bike too. 

Another tough thing with the bike is that I have less natural ability than running, so I feel like I'm starting out as a rookie.   I'm making some good progress for me.  In July, if I had a single 5 mile lap at 20:00, I was happy that I was moving that fast.  Now, 20:00 is a disappointment that I'm not keeping pace.   Anyway, I know from running that you can drive yourself crazy having time goals, so it's much better just to have mileage aspirations knowing that times will fall.  I've also noted that in running,  lungs were always my rate limiting thing.  In biking, quads are going to flame up long before my lungs do. 

When I was running, every single activity that you saw on Strava was the maximum that my knee would allow.  Intrinsic motivation was never a limit.  Now that the knee isn't a limiter, my activities are now how much I feel like doing vs. hours allowed in my schedule.  

I haven't gone full cyclist yet - no bike shorts, no obnoxious tight shirts and still using toe cage instead of clips.  But, I do have gel shorts in my Amazon cart after having my ### go totally sore on yesterday's long ride.   I also have already bought an indoor trainer before these things sell out. 

Sorry for my non-running ramblings in the 10K thread, but thought some might relate. 
Bummer that you're giving up the running shoes but cycling is awesome. I'm sure the more you go "full cyclist" the more you'll enjoy it. Get some lycra and get after it! 

Users who are viewing this thread