What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Ball (MFL10s, DRAFT, etc.) (3 Viewers)

I understand things change fast, but the picks for the displayed teams are way off of ADP, even for mid-May. That makes me question the skill level of these guys even more.
I don't begrudge them for that. If you are in an expert-type league I think you are in trouble if you are just following ADP. 

I know I don't follow ADP as closely as some(most?). I'm also more of a fluid drafter. I know one year it was framed as irrefutable that you should be drafting 3 team defenses to have the best chance of winning and I had a majority of teams with 2 team defenses and a few with only 1 team defense and still did very well. 

I do agree with many of your other criticisms though. Looking at the league in that link it almost appears as if a few people were unfamiliar with the format or simply weren't taking the draft very seriously.

Luck does spook me (and I'd want to pair him with Brissett), but I'd still prefer him at $8.00 to Bortles at $11.23 pretty easily. Given that Bortles and Prescott both went for over $11, I'd pay at least $10 for Luck.
In retrospect I would have taken both of them instead of Rodgers for $18, but in an auction it changes every time.

What do YOU disagree with? My biggest criticism of this draft(and most expert drafts) is guys are trying to swing for a homerun with every single pick. I guess it makes sense because who is really going to remember how you finished in a best-ball back in June if you finish last. Buf if you finish first you get to pound your chest a little. IF Aaron Jones turns out to be the three-down back in GB you get to point out that you were the one drafting him early in August. If Luck is 100% then both he and Hilton look like league winners. 

I'm with you, people typically think of me as some sort of PFF-hater but that's not really the case. Overall I do like their analysis. I don't like how people react to their rankings however.
All their fantasy stuff seems like fluff. They’re a company that’s made it's mark by quantifying the game into useable numbers/metrics but in this case they didn’t use one stat in the whole article. They didn’t discuss anything. This is THEE company that I would expect to see a break down of expected points per team, player and position. Analytical breakdowns of optimal roster construction. Not even all the teams weren’t even listed. There’s a few questionable moves too that at least deserved to have commentary. Like Mayfield as their 4th QB. The PFF Fantasy crew does this all the time. Or they will make bold statements based on obscure metrics that haven’t been proven to show anything. Again, normal PFF I love but the FF side is extremely weak. Because I’m such a big fan of the company the FF side is just such a disappointment.

All their fantasy stuff seems like fluff. They’re a company that’s made it's mark by quantifying the game into useable numbers/metrics but in this case they didn’t use one stat in the whole article. They didn’t discuss anything. This is THEE company that I would expect to see a break down of expected points per team, player and position. Analytical breakdowns of optimal roster construction. Not even all the teams weren’t even listed. There’s a few questionable moves too that at least deserved to have commentary. Like Mayfield as their 4th QB. The PFF Fantasy crew does this all the time. Or they will make bold statements based on obscure metrics that haven’t been proven to show anything. Again, normal PFF I love but the FF side is extremely weak. Because I’m such a big fan of the company the FF side is just such a disappointment.
At one time I listened to PFF in podcast form, but these days I just watch their YouTube clips.

Remind me, if you subscribe to their fantasy football content does that automatically subscribe you to their other fantasy sport content?(Nascar, basketball, etc)

At one time I listened to PFF in podcast form, but these days I just watch their YouTube clips.

Remind me, if you subscribe to their fantasy football content does that automatically subscribe you to their other fantasy sport content?(Nascar, basketball, etc)
Their podcasts are pretty segmented. The FF stuff is separate from everything else. I think they actually have 2 different ones. I’ve never heard anything about the other sports at all. But I’m not looking for it. I recommend the PFF Forecast (a bit of a gambling lean but they have the best numbers talk) and PFF “NFL Show” (best general and draft talk). 

I listen to their FF podcasts because I drive a lot for work and eventually run out of things to listen too. They did a 10 blurb about best ball and it was basic at best.  

Oh well getting Beckham at 10 over and over feels a little like stealing.  I took Barkley there in one and Hopkins in another, but still.
Amen to that. Just another example of using the RB madness against itself. I'm shocked that Hopkins lasted to the 10 spot in any draft. Shocked.

I'm more interested in what player you are getting at pick #15.

Oh, and you should be pushing third-round-reversal at every opportunity. If you like the 10 spot in snake drafting then you would LOVE the 10 spot in third-round-reversal.

Amen to that. Just another example of using the RB madness against itself. I'm shocked that Hopkins lasted to the 10 spot in any draft. Shocked.

I'm more interested in what player you are getting at pick #15.

Oh, and you should be pushing third-round-reversal at every opportunity. If you like the 10 spot in snake drafting then you would LOVE the 10 spot in third-round-reversal.
There was only one of them that Nuk fell to 10, and ODB went at 9 so my choice was simple. 

At 15 I've grabbed Cook twice, Adams, Julio, and in both the FFPCs (TE 1.5 per reception) I took Gronk. 

I am somewhat baffled by Gruden's moves so far, as is most of the FF world, seemingly. But I always thought he was a genius on MNF, regularly predicting things before they happened. Anyway I am confident that Cooper will bounce back big and I have been taking him in the 3rd almost everywhere. Probably overexposed at this point.

It looks like you have plenty of money left. 
Really wish I would have had just a couple extra dollars. But in the last auction I felt as though I had too much money at the end that I wasted. You have to love an auction, you never know how things will go.

That said, starting another deep draft and hoping to finish it before a long 4th of July weekend. If anyone is interested please shoot me a message. You and Soulfly should definitely be in it since you like to trash talk one another a bit.

The 2nd auction had a much different feel than the first. I'm guessing it was because in the 2nd there were many more players up for auction at once. Values between guys seemed more stable. The first auction had much wilder fluctuations day to day. I think i liked the first better as it had more variability (more overpays/deals).

The 2nd auction had a much different feel than the first. I'm guessing it was because in the 2nd there were many more players up for auction at once. Values between guys seemed more stable. The first auction had much wilder fluctuations day to day. I think i liked the first better as it had more variability (more overpays/deals).
I think that you are right, although I kind of like the fact that if someone bid you up on one player at a position you had other fall backs to bid on. Not sure if it was a factor or not but I certainly had much less money left unused at the end of this auction than I did at the end of the 1st auction. 

I think if I setup another auction I would really like to try a survivor auction winner-takes-all. Survivor style works best when you have about 20 teams though so I think I would probably goose the scoring for RB/WR/TE to de-emphasize the MFL10 style scoring for QB's. That way half the teams don't get eliminated because their QB goes on bye or misses a game due to injury. Obviously with that many teams it would only be a start 1 QB league.

I have spoken to a few people that would be interested in a survivor best-ball auction..... would you be interested? Has anyone in this thread ever participated in a survivor style best-ball auction already?

I think it would make a great twist because not only does the competition ramp up with that many teams but suddenly bye weeks creep back in as a big strategic decisions. As does the strategy difference between trying to finish in the top half of the league vs actually trying to be the last team standing.

I just love survivor formats because every week carries so much weight because your season could end at anytime, AND the final week of the season you 4 teams or so that could win it all instead of just two teams. 

@barackdhouse

Those ADPs include every draft since the opening of leagues this year. What I find most interesting is the swing of games player values from each site. But yeah, there’s a bunch of caveats with these ADPs though.

@barackdhouse

Those ADPs include every draft since the opening of leagues this year. What I find most interesting is the swing of games player values from each site. But yeah, there’s a bunch of caveats with these ADPs though.
Sure. I think it's interesting how much the ADP at a given site influences the way a draft unfolds. There are inevitably a few spots where people take who the board tells them to, or wait too long for someone because they thought "well their ADP said they would go in round X." 

In MFL10s for example, it might change things a bit if they reported ADP as a 4 week current average as opposed to the cumulative average from *all* drafts. 4 weeks is arbitrary, just an example. Or even just an extra column that shows change since last time step. Some sites do that kind of thing.

Sure. I think it's interesting how much the ADP at a given site influences the way a draft unfolds. There are inevitably a few spots where people take who the board tells them to, or wait too long for someone because they thought "well their ADP said they would go in round X." 

In MFL10s for example, it might change things a bit if they reported ADP as a 4 week current average as opposed to the cumulative average from *all* drafts. 4 weeks is arbitrary, just an example. Or even just an extra column that shows change since last time step. Some sites do that kind of thing.
I’m happy with the ADP’s. My favourite is when someone times out and takes Hunter Henry. 

I’m happy with the ADP’s. My favourite is when someone times out and takes Hunter Henry. 
Agreed. People timing out once..... well, ok. Stuff comes up and happens to all of us. I don't know what the MFL10's are like now but in the past people would time out 4-5 times. Sometimes more. As long as they weren't right in a row it wouldn't really be much of a penalty just getting the highest rated ADP player.

That's why when I started my leagues it was a one-strike-then-autodraft-rule. Still three spots to fill before we can start one of those drafts btw if anyone gets tired of waiting on the clock the same three jack-#%#$'es in MFL10's....  https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/766939-draft-superflex-best-ball-deep-redraft/

I never see Penny in the 5th. Usually goes mid 3rd-early 4th. Burkhead recently is going 5-6. Seems like R. Freeman goes 5th as well.
It always kind of makes me wonder precisely how serious the drafts are where they are getting those ADP's. 

IMO mock drafts are next to completely useless. How many times have you heard a podcast say, "Well, I'm going to try this because it's a mock" which translates to,"This is NOT what I'm going to do in a REAL draft for money". If that's the attitude.... then why do people go to the trouble of having a mock draft in the first place?

If you want to prepare for an important draft there is no better way to prepare for that than a REAL draft. BTW,  for anyone reading this we only need ONE more person to start a $10 REAL draft. We're waiting on YOU to join.

I'm thoroughly disgusted with the mfl10 platform. I'm half way through my second only because I had $25 in credits. Each one is easily double the length of time of the longest I've ever done in years past. It's completely dispiriting to draft every other day. By this time last year I'd have had many many more done. I've lost interest. 

Anyway, now that that rant is out of the way, this year by far is the biggest running back whore fest I've ever seen, I've been essentially forced into a kind of "zero RB" strategy. I got Cook this draft but can't pass up studs everywhere else to reach for some of these unknowns in the 3-5 rounds. 

I'm thoroughly disgusted with the mfl10 platform. I'm half way through my second only because I had $25 in credits. Each one is easily double the length of time of the longest I've ever done in years past. It's completely dispiriting to draft every other day. By this time last year I'd have had many many more done. I've lost interest. 
It's because people go on and off autodraft in those things. If you make everyone in the draft wait for 8 hours you should go on autodraft.... for the rest of the draft. You still get the guys you want if you pre-draft or make a draft list you just can't make the entire league grind to a complete stop any longer.

Anyway, now that that rant is out of the way, this year by far is the biggest running back whore fest I've ever seen, I've been essentially forced into a kind of "zero RB" strategy. I got Cook this draft but can't pass up studs everywhere else to reach for some of these unknowns in the 3-5 rounds. 
This isn't what I'm experiencing. My previous years' MFL10s typically took 10-15 days and the ones I've been in this year are probably at the high end of that, but not any where near what you're seeing. I tend to have 15+ going at a time. So I don't even notice if there are slow periods in any particular draft. 

It does appear that there's a decline in MFL10 participation though. Last year at this time MFL10s would fill in a matter of minutes and now it's hours.

I've been doing top-3 4 hours, once per day all month. I've only got 8 active drafts, so from my perspective, these are flying.

I've been doing top-3 4 hours, once per day all month. I've only got 8 active drafts, so from my perspective, these are flying.
Mine are all 8 hour classics. Your post reminded me that what I perceived as a decline in participation maybe doesn't consider the increased number of MFL10 types they offer. Have you noticed if there are more or fewer teams timing out in the 4 hour format?

Mine are all 8 hour classics. Your post reminded me that what I perceived as a decline in participation maybe doesn't consider the increased number of MFL10 types they offer. Have you noticed if there are more or fewer teams timing out in the 4 hour format?
I don't pay enough attention to know if there are time outs or not.

MFL10 live drafts are a million times better. I started out doing the 4 hour drafts and they took longer than the 8 hour drafts did last year thanks to the overnight pause. Decided to do the live draft and never looked back. 76 drafts later and I'm addicted.

been doing a ton of MFLs, both live drafts and 8 hours.

These are the guys I'm getting a lot of, for better or worse:

QB: Big Ben, Mahomes, Winston, Trubisky

RB: outside of the top 10, usually McKinnon, one of Michel/Ronald Jones/Royce Freeman, some Mack/Crowell/Hines, Ballage

WR: Thielen, Cobb, Anderson, Agholor, Golladay, Mike Wallace, Albert Wilson

TE: All over the place, but usually get Ebron or RSJ as the #2. I've noticed no one likes taking Austin Hooper this year but he has been working really hard this off-season.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed no one likes taking Austin Hooper this year but he has been working really hard this off-season.
I think it's the combination that he slightly disappointed last season and the additions of Ridley and possibly healthier Freeman as a possible target hogs in the short to medium passing game that have people fading Hooper this season. I'm with you though, people may be disregarding just how young he is and his production has been very solid given his age for the TE position. It wouldn't be surprising if he took another jump this season in production.

The draft we just started with a lot of folks in this thread recently started(10tm super-flex) and it's already been interesting.

After all my talk about waiting on RB I feel a little "dirty" having gone off script and drafting 2 RB's of my top 4 players(10 teamer). So I took Elliot at pick#6 and McCoy at pick#36. McCoy is really free-falling right now and I just couldn't let him slip anymore. I feel like Green/McCoy are proven producers year after year but very much out of vogue. They great values where they are going(at least in re-draft) and I will have both of them on a lot of my teams this year. Exact opposite of "sexy" picks, which is typically the way I lean.

The draft we just started with a lot of folks in this thread recently started(10tm super-flex) and it's already been interesting.

After all my talk about waiting on RB I feel a little "dirty" having gone off script and drafting 2 RB's of my top 4 players(10 teamer). So I took Elliot at pick#6 and McCoy at pick#36. McCoy is really free-falling right now and I just couldn't let him slip anymore. I feel like Green/McCoy are proven producers year after year but very much out of vogue. They great values where they are going(at least in re-draft) and I will have both of them on a lot of my teams this year. Exact opposite of "sexy" picks, which is typically the way I lean.
It's been awhile since I've done a superflex so it's a nice fun zig to my normal zag. Also only 10 teams makes a difference. A lot of the guys I like in the midrounds, in say MFL10s, should be available even later. We'll see. Fun so far.

Got a day off and an empty house until late this afternoon. Coffees and live best ball drafts (Draft) on the deck with the hound dogs. Once it get too hot coffees will switch to beers. It’s a great life. If any one has some crazy strategy they want me to try just let me know. 

I have a new late round darling. Jaylen Samuels. Draft lists him as TE. Should Bell go down, hold out, get suspended, whatever, this could be a league winner. I think he’s more suited to come in and replace Bell than Connor because of receiving ability. I read some articles and apparently he’s getting a bit of work with the 1s and is also being moved around into the slot. At 5’11” and a rookie I don’t think there’s much chance that he makes his mark as a TE but for a last round pick, why not?

Borden said:
I have a new late round darling. Jaylen Samuels. Draft lists him as TE. Should Bell go down, hold out, get suspended, whatever, this could be a league winner. I think he’s more suited to come in and replace Bell than Connor because of receiving ability. I read some articles and apparently he’s getting a bit of work with the 1s and is also being moved around into the slot. At 5’11” and a rookie I don’t think there’s much chance that he makes his mark as a TE but for a last round pick, why not?
He's been pretty popular in the dynasty league rookie drafts for sure.

A couple of years ago I hit pretty big on DeAngelo Williams drafted late in redrafts but I haven't found anyone I really wanted to take a lotto ticket on since. This may be the first guy I have much interest in if he goes late enough. What round are you getting him? What round is he going if YOU aren't drafting him?

He's been pretty popular in the dynasty league rookie drafts for sure.

A couple of years ago I hit pretty big on DeAngelo Williams drafted late in redrafts but I haven't found anyone I really wanted to take a lotto ticket on since. This may be the first guy I have much interest in if he goes late enough. What round are you getting him? What round is he going if YOU aren't drafting him?
Last round (18). If I don’t draft him I’d say he’s goes undrafted 60% of the time but I might miss seeing him get drafted sometimes too. I guess one thing to note is it also depends on how my draft goes. Sometimes I need that last round pick for a player that I need me to put up at least some numbers.

Last round (18). If I don’t draft him I’d say he’s goes undrafted 60% of the time but I might miss seeing him get drafted sometimes too. I guess one thing to note is it also depends on how my draft goes. Sometimes I need that last round pick for a player that I need me to put up at least some numbers.
Wow, DRAFT only uses 18 rounds? How many starters?

No defense or kickers

1 qb

2 rb

3 wr

1 flex

1 te
If they were going to go with rosters that small I think they were smart to just kill team defenses. 

After playing in leagues with a big bench(and more starters) I just find an 8/18 both restrictive and too much luck is involved regarding the health of your players, even if the guys you are drafting with make more general mistakes(I am assuming). You have to use nearly your entire bench just to cover bye weeks.

If they were going to go with rosters that small I think they were smart to just kill team defenses. 

After playing in leagues with a big bench(and more starters) I just find an 8/18 both restrictive and too much luck is involved regarding the health of your players, even if the guys you are drafting with make more general mistakes(I am assuming). You have to use nearly your entire bench just to cover bye weeks.
It is essentially the same setup as the ever popular MFL 10s just minus the defense.

I do agree though and prefer the 24 (only really 2 extra because they have kicker and defense) roster spots that Data Force uses. 

Draft is on par with MFL10s, if not better because of the randomness of defenses. Plus, a minimum of 2 defenses are required to cover bye weeks so, the 8/18 is very similar to MFL with 9/20. I know some people will draft 3 or more defenses too. Especially, before the schedule is released. 

The leagues that I noticed you like are mostly custom leagues which is more fun but the amount of drafts is of course limited and require more commitment. Draft is better than MFL10s, to me, when comparing roster setup. I also hate Defs in any avenue of FF. IDP or nothing. :D  

I love the 12/13 turn. You can usually get at least one guy that fell and then I don’t feel bad about “reaching” with the second pick. Russell Wilson at 6.1 warms my heart. Pair him up with Eli or Mitch late and I’m a happy guy.

I agree with this.  FFPC's format is much better.  Drafts go 28 rounds but includes kickers and D.  My only complaint about FFPC's best ball format is the payout structure/rake is not as good as some of the competition.

I agree with this.  FFPC's format is much better.  Drafts go 28 rounds but includes kickers and D.  My only complaint about FFPC's best ball format is the payout structure/rake is not as good as some of the competition.
Do you have a link for their best ball leagues? I did a very quick search on their site and didn’t see it. Or maybe it has a different name?

Do you have a link for their best ball leagues? I did a very quick search on their site and didn’t see it. Or maybe it has a different name?
go to myffpc.com and then click on "online satellites"

I agree that the navigation could be better/easier.

Has anyone used "draft.com" for best balls?  One of the podcasts I listen to is always pushing their best ball leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone used "draft.com" for best balls?  One of the podcasts I listen to is always pushing their best ball leagues.
Scroll up this last page. A decent amount of discussion on it. Pretty much all my best ball leagues are on Draft. Any questions I will happily answer for you.

Scroll up this last page. A decent amount of discussion on it. Pretty much all my best ball leagues are on Draft. Any questions I will happily answer for you.
when I try to deposit money it sends me to paypal, is there something weird about how to pay.

Users who are viewing this thread