What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Radio edit versions of songs - most/least annoying methods (1 Viewer)

Tusken Raider

Footballguy
Today I heard Everlast's "What It's Like" on a local station while out at a restaurant. It was the edited version that scrambles the "profane or offensive" lyrics. While it normally doesn't bother me to hear edited music in public, it got me thinking - which methods are the best without completely taking away from the song?

Most of us probably listen to satellite/pandora type stations that play unedited music. But for those times you listen to local broadcast radio, what types of edits bother you most, & which is the most listenable?

For the sake of discussion, I'll use the lyric: "He pulled out his chrome .45 talked some sh_t and wound up dead."

Example 1: The Bleep

"He pulled out his chrome <BLEEP> talked some <BLEEP> and wound up dead."

Example 2: The Blank Space

"He pulled out his chrome _____ talked some _____ and wound up dead."

Example 3: The Scramble/Mixup

"He pulled out his RSSHHM FRMRMRMR talked some THISSHH and wound up dead."

Example 4: The Replacement Lyric

"He pulled out his chrome cell phone talked some stuff and wound up dead."

Example 5: The Zany Sound Replacement

"He pulled out his <CARHORN SOUND> talked some <SQUEAK SOUND> and wound up dead."

Probably several other methods I missed here, but you get the idea. Thoughts?

Always chuckle at this topic and reminded of when my cousin from France 1st came over to visit and were listening to a a Wu Tang song on the radio and half the song was censored.

She was surprised asking what the heck was that about. I explained about the whole censorship on the radio/tv and she was cracking up.

Said in France all they hear about is the freedom the US has and you cant say any bad word on the radio??

Always chuckle at this topic and reminded of when my cousin from France 1st came over to visit and were listening to a a Wu Tang song on the radio and half the song was censored.

She was surprised asking what the heck was that about. I explained about the whole censorship on the radio/tv and she was cracking up.

Said in France all they hear about is the freedom the US has and you cant say any bad word on the radio??
Rap music is usually affected worse than any other genre. All the boings, scratches, and animal sounds that replace lyrics turn most radio edited rap tunes into comical disasters.

What gets me is that Roger Daltrey is usually allowed to shout "Who the f**k are you?", but Eddie Vedder can't call Jeremy a "harmless little f**k."

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard another one that made me think of this:

Tom Petty - "You Don't Know How It Feels"

Album edit: "let's get to the point, let's ROLL another joint." (Thank you, Pandora)

Radio edit: "let's get to the point, let's HIT another joint."

Great job trying to obscure the meaning, censors.

I worked in a record store in college, & one day a girl & her mom came in to return/swap her CD single of "Semi-Charmed Life." I asked her what was wrong with it, & she thought that the scrambling of the lyric "crystal meth" was a defect.

After explaining that what she was listening to was the edited version, her mom still wanted another copy. I offered to let her hear the album version first before swapping the "defective" copy, & after she heard the lyric, asked, "why would they put that in such a happy-sounding song?"

She & her daughter left with their original copy.

God bless my wife she bought me the Devil Without a Cause cd knowing I liked Kid Rock...she got a great deal on it at Wal-Mart. Problem was it was edited to be family friendly. Unplayable because they used the zany sound replacement. Ruined a perfectly good album.

Tusken Raider said:

Album edit: "let's get to the point, let's ROLL another joint." (Thank you, Pandora)

I've heard it with "joint" played backwards. So it sounds like "let's roll another noij." That edit wasn't too bad because it keeps the pacing correct and it's still Tom Petty's voice.

Decency laws /= censorship

Tusken Raider said:

I've heard it with "joint" played backwards. So it sounds like "let's roll another noij." That edit wasn't too bad because it keeps the pacing correct and it's still Tom Petty's voice.
Forgot about that version. Even though it takes the rhyming out of the lyric, I actually like it better than the replacement lyric edit.

Some songs, however, actually benefit from the replacement lyric. Cee-lo's "Forget You" is the first one to come to mind. Given the tone of the song, I think the clean version makes it better.

Heard another one today that made me laugh. Alice in Chains' "Heaven Beside You":

"So there's problems in your life, that's <FAASHERRED> up, and I'm not blind."

:lmao:

God bless my wife she bought me the Devil Without a Cause cd knowing I liked Kid Rock...she got a great deal on it at Wal-Mart. Problem was it was edited to be family friendly. Unplayable because they used the zany sound replacement. Ruined a perfectly good album.
If only they replaced everything on the album with zany sound effects it may have been worth the purchase 

Users who are viewing this thread