What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Deadwood (1 Viewer)

I know in real life, Al dies at a train station alone and broke after he leaves Deadwood when it burns the second time. I'm wondering if the whole "I should've learned how to use a gun, but I'm too set in my ways" speech was a kind of set up for him buying it in one of the last 2hr movies.
I was interested to find out that he was from my home state. He was from Oskaloosa, Iowa. Also was interested to find out that he had a twin brother.

If you want more Deadwood and particularly Charlie Udder - read this book:

Amazon Linky

Excellent read with Charlie as the main focus including his years riding with Wild Bill, runins with Calamity Jane and Al Swearengen. Reveals a whole other side about Al not seen on the TV show.

Charlie goes on to open his own whorehouse in a neighboring town after he leaves Deadwood. He also has quite a torrid affair with a Chinese entertainer who performs in a playhouse in Deadwood.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want more Deadwood and particularly Charlie Udder - read this book:

Amazon Linky

Excellent read with Charlie as the main focus including his years riding with Wild Bill, runins with Calamity Jane and Al Swearengen. Reveals a whole other side about Al not seen on the TV show.

Charlie goes on to open his own whorehouse in a neighboring town after he leaves Deadwood. He also has quite a torrid affair with a Chinese entertainer who performs in a playhouse in Deadwood.
Wow! By Pete Dexter! I read that 20 years ago and forgot about it. Dexter's a great author. I highly recommend Paper Boy. Brotherly Love and Paris Trout, as well. I am going to revisit the Deadwood book this weekend.

I couldn't agree more....a whole lot of build up....and nothing.
Almost "Carnivale-like" in its letdown. I think this was a good ending for this series though. It was somewhat realistic (although it would have been nice to see Al cut Hearst head off).Still an awesome series.

For those who may be so inclined, I received this survey regarding Deadwood by e-mail from HBO last week.
Completed...are they considering bringing it back?
I have absolutely no idea. This may just be nothing more than market research to see how many people would download this crap to their cellphones. But it looked like a good opportunity to put in my plug for Deadwood. And when they asked what I disliked most about the series, I simply said the decision to cancel it was what I disliked the most.

I finally started watching this. Rented the first series, episodes 1-4 at the video store and am now hooked. How I missed this before, I have no idea.

Please tell me that Wild Bill Hickock isn't really dead....that he comes back to life?

Also, please tell me that Calamity Jane gets murdered in episode 5.

Great stuff.

I finally started watching this. Rented the first series, episodes 1-4 at the video store and am now hooked. How I missed this before, I have no idea.Please tell me that Wild Bill Hickock isn't really dead....that he comes back to life? Also, please tell me that Calamity Jane gets murdered in episode 5.Great stuff.
Sorry, but the story follows history. Also, not only does Jane not die, she gets naked (lesbianically) later in the series.HTH

I finally started watching this. Rented the first series, episodes 1-4 at the video store and am now hooked. How I missed this before, I have no idea.Please tell me that Wild Bill Hickock isn't really dead....that he comes back to life? Also, please tell me that Calamity Jane gets murdered in episode 5.Great stuff.
Wild Bill isn't really dead. He comes back to life.Calamity Jane gets murdered in episode 5.

No one, I repeat, NO ONE, can cuss like Al. There was some real poetry in there at times. :ptts:

They are going to do 2 2 hour movies to end the show properly. Thats the last I heard. It will be a big blowout.
As I understand it, one of the reasons John from Cincinnati was canceled was to push Milch into wrapping up Deadwood properly. There is a large consumer demand for Deadwood and apparently HBO is listening.

They are going to do 2 2 hour movies to end the show properly. Thats the last I heard. It will be a big blowout.
As I understand it, one of the reasons John from Cincinnati was canceled was to push Milch into wrapping up Deadwood properly. There is a large consumer demand for Deadwood and apparently HBO is listening.
this sounds like rumor mongering by fanboys hopefully im wrong

link from aug 17th. doesnt sound good for deadwood.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797043...=1&nid=2562

One thing that could end, however -- even in metaphysical terms -- is the idea of a pair of two-hour 'Deadwood" movies.

While Milch says he'll try his hand at writing the scripts, he also says, "It's not fair to HBO and, frankly, to me, to assign a priority to 'Deadwood.'

"No one is more disappointed than I by that turn. But the next day is the next day, and to waste another moment on remorse or recrimination is pointless."

Wild Bill isn't really dead. He comes back to life.Calamity Jane gets murdered in episode 5.
Great! Jane sucks. Her voice makes me want to pour cement in my ears.Why kill off Wild Bill? Does he get shot in history or something? What a great character.

One thing that could end, however -- even in metaphysical terms -- is the idea of a pair of two-hour 'Deadwood" movies.

While Milch says he'll try his hand at writing the scripts, he also says, "It's not fair to HBO and, frankly, to me, to assign a priority to 'Deadwood.'

"No one is more disappointed than I by that turn. But the next day is the next day, and to waste another moment on remorse or recrimination is pointless."
what does metaphysical mean?

I finally started watching this. Rented the first series, episodes 1-4 at the video store and am now hooked. How I missed this before, I have no idea.

Please tell me that Wild Bill Hickock isn't really dead....that he comes back to life?

Great stuff.
Great! Jane sucks. Her voice makes me want to pour cement in my ears.Why kill off Wild Bill? Does he get shot in history or something? What a great character.
Aces & Eights?? Deadman's Hand??Ring a bell??

Great stuff.
I'm joking. I'm just pretty bent they killed Bill off so soon. I was digging his character, but oh well.Love the Bob Seger song "Fire Lake", which has a lyric about "Eights and Aces". Great song.

He was just bitter that they canceled JfC. He'll be fine.

Great stuff.
I'm joking. I'm just pretty bent they killed Bill off so soon. I was digging his character, but oh well.Love the Bob Seger song "Fire Lake", which has a lyric about "Eights and Aces". Great song.
As much thrill as you are getting from seeing Wild Bill in this series, you will have an equal amount of disappointment with the Wyatt and Morgan Earp cameos in season three.If HBO cancelled Milch's show to get him to do Deadwood, that would be a really good way to insure that those two will suck. His commentary in the above quote sounds like he WANTS to do those movies, but he wants to give them the time they deserve and he is,. right now, more concerned with other things.

Anticipation sucks, but I'd prefer a good product than one rushed out so that he could move on to other things.

Then at the beginning of episode 6 Patrick Duffy steps out of the shower and we learn that everything had been a dream. Bill is still shot dead and Calamity lives on.

Great stuff.
As much thrill as you are getting from seeing Wild Bill in this series, you will have an equal amount of disappointment with the Wyatt and Morgan Earp cameos in season three.If HBO cancelled Milch's show to get him to do Deadwood, that would be a really good way to insure that those two will suck. His commentary in the above quote sounds like he WANTS to do those movies, but he wants to give them the time they deserve and he is,. right now, more concerned with other things.

Anticipation sucks, but I'd prefer a good product than one rushed out so that he could move on to other things.
I have zero concern that Milch will put out a good product. Wrapping up any show is tough (see Sopranos, The), there will always be angles that fans would like to have seen explored more. This is Milch's brainchild I believe that no matter what he will give it as good of an ending as a show like this can have.

I gave John From Cincinatti (sp?) three episodes. I really wanted to like it. I really didn't.

Deadwood is pretty frigging sweet, though. I'm kinda glad I'm doing it this way. I'm an HBO Junkie, so I've never really neglected an entire series before, only to go back and watch them episode by episode in a matter of weeks.

Maybe I'll do the Wire next.

I gave John From Cincinatti (sp?) three episodes. I really wanted to like it. I really didn't.Deadwood is pretty frigging sweet, though. I'm kinda glad I'm doing it this way. I'm an HBO Junkie, so I've never really neglected an entire series before, only to go back and watch them episode by episode in a matter of weeks.Maybe I'll do the Wire next.
Dude if you are saying youve never watched the wire and you are an HBO junkie you aint seen nothin yet. Thats the smartest and most relevant show going. I've never seen a show as well written and powerful as the wire. The acting gives the sopranos a run for their money also.

I gave John From Cincinatti (sp?) three episodes. I really wanted to like it. I really didn't.Deadwood is pretty frigging sweet, though. I'm kinda glad I'm doing it this way. I'm an HBO Junkie, so I've never really neglected an entire series before, only to go back and watch them episode by episode in a matter of weeks.Maybe I'll do the Wire next.
Dude if you are saying youve never watched the wire and you are an HBO junkie you aint seen nothin yet. Thats the smartest and most relevant show going. I've never seen a show as well written and powerful as the wire. The acting gives the sopranos a run for their money also.
Your talking to a guy who considers Six Feet Under to be the greatest triumph in television history....

I literally just got chills at the prospect that someone had never watched The Wire and was about to do so. I'll admit that I wasn't hooked after the first few episodes... but holy cow, once you get to know the characters, you will be hooked and think it's one of the greatest shows on TV.Can't wait to hear about your Wire experience - good luck to you!

I've only seen two eps of The Wire and look forward to the time when I have the time to watch 'em all.

I know they're available now as rentals, but does anyone know if they are also offered as HBO On Demand selections? I might re-up for HBO if that's the case.

And: Deadwood ruled. Al Swearengen is one of the best characters ever to appear on a TV screen.

GSCGal said:
General Malaise said:
I literally just got chills at the prospect that someone had never watched The Wire and was about to do so. I'll admit that I wasn't hooked after the first few episodes... but holy cow, once you get to know the characters, you will be hooked and think it's one of the greatest shows on TV.Can't wait to hear about your Wire experience - good luck to you!
That good, huh? Do you know how many seaons they've had so far? Hell, I don't even know how many seasons of Deadwood I need to plow through first. It took me a week to get through 4 episodes alone. This might take a while.

I've only seen two eps of The Wire and look forward to the time when I have the time to watch 'em all.

I know they're available now as rentals, but does anyone know if they are also offered as HBO On Demand selections? I might re-up for HBO if that's the case.

And: Deadwood ruled. Al Swearengen is one of the best characters ever to appear on a TV screen.
I'm starting to really believe that as well....

GSCGal said:
General Malaise said:
That good, huh? Do you know how many seaons they've had so far? Hell, I don't even know how many seasons of Deadwood I need to plow through first. It took me a week to get through 4 episodes alone. This might take a while.
there have been 4 seasons of the wire and the final season starts in januarythere are only 3 seasons of deadwood unfortunately

doesnt look like they are available on demandBET was playing them this summer

http://www.hbo.com/apps/hodschedule/hod/ca...CATG_ID=BTRS311

Who is the Al Swearingin/Tony Soprano lead guy in the Wire? I'm setting up a poll....
it seemed to be mcnulty early in the series but really there is no lead. its a true ensembledont get too attached to any of the characters. the writers are not sentimental

Amazon's Deal of the Day is Deadwood the Complete Series for $64.99 if anyone is interested. I'm finally picking up the series , I missed the BB 50% off sale in december but luckily this deal is better.

I thought there was going to be some sort of 2 hour show or something after this was cancelled? I completely forgot about it until I saw this thread again.

Users who are viewing this thread