What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Deadwood (2 Viewers)

I have watched this entire season, and I can honestly say that Jane is becoming one of the more annoying characters I have seen in any series. I understand that she is a chronic drunk, but does she have to be a cartoon character in order to get the point across? The widow Garrett chick is becoming annoying. She was much more interesting when she was banging the sheriff. I find the tutor chick interesting, but they have her involved in the plot for only about 10 seconds every week.Maybe it's just me, but this series was more engrossing at the start of this season, all the way up until the "Something Very Expensive" episode where Wolcott offs the prostitutes. Now the series just feels like it's treading water. I hope something interesting happens soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have watched this entire season, and I can honestly say that Jane is becoming one of the more annoying characters I have seen in any series. I understand that she is a chronic drunk, but does she have to be a cartoon character in order to get the point across?

The widow Garrett chick is becoming annoying. She was much more interesting when she was banging the sheriff. I find the tutor chick interesting, but they have her involved in the plot for only about 10 seconds every week.

Maybe it's just me, but this series was more engrossing at the start of this season, all the way up until the "Something Very Expensive" episode where Wolcott offs the prostitutes. Now the series just feels like it's treading water. I hope something interesting happens soon.
I agree. I havent really watched since the whores got whacked. (eagerly awaiting the Sopranos)

Okay, as much as I hate the Mrs. Bullock character and teh lack of what she brings to the show, I will be totally ticked off if the only thing that results from last night's episode is her moving back out of Deadwood (but that, in and of itself would be most rewarding).The only few things I saw moving forward and would intrigue me are:- Miss Isringhausen and her deal w/ Swearingen. What happens next?- Tolliver and Wolcott trying to deduce what is fact and what is fiction based on the magistrate's conversation with Swearingen and Dan regarding Montana's interest in annexing the territory.- Sol Star's helping out Al and Dan by giving them input as to the Montana players' interest, and what Bullock will have to say once he is finished grieving over William's death (I am assuming that he did die last night) and Mrs. Bullock's plan to leave Deadwood.And the sad story about the whole episode, IMO, is that these three storylines coould have been shows in and of themselves, and last night was (with those three scenes excepted) a whole lot of standing around waiting for the end result of what happened to William.

When did he die? The last I saw the whole town was keeping a vigil, and the "new" minister arrived at Doc's cabin.

I have watched this entire season, and I can honestly say that Jane is becoming one of the more annoying characters I have seen in any series. I understand that she is a chronic drunk, but does she have to be a cartoon character in order to get the point across?

The widow Garrett chick is becoming annoying. She was much more interesting when she was banging the sheriff. I find the tutor chick interesting, but they have her involved in the plot for only about 10 seconds every week.

Maybe it's just me, but this series was more engrossing at the start of this season, all the way up until the "Something Very Expensive" episode where Wolcott offs the prostitutes. Now the series just feels like it's treading water. I hope something interesting happens soon.
I am in unfortunately in reluctant agreement. These last few better be better.

When did he die? The last I saw the whole town was keeping a vigil, and the "new" minister arrived at Doc's cabin.
I don't doubt that the implication was that he died, but I don't think he did actually die in last night's episode.

New minister - doesn't that look like the same actor who played Andy, who brought the Plague to town?

I don't doubt that the implication was that he died, but I don't think he did actually die in last night's episode.

New minister - doesn't that look like the same actor who played Andy, who brought the Plague to town?
That's who he said he was.

That's who he said he was.
It was 3 a.m. when I watched last night's episode, so I may have missed that.

I didn't get the implication that the kid died. At most, it seemed to me that the implication was that the boy's mother had lost hope and it didn't matter whether he stayed or went- she believed he would die.Again, a subpar episode, though. Swearengen's lackey (I think his name is Dan) is becoming less and less interesting. All he brings to the table is about 30 F-bombs per episode and nothing else of subtance. I do like the bartender character (the guy with the bicycle)- too bad they couldn't expand on him a little more. Obviously Wolcott's character is good, but they have done nothing with him since he did in the hookers. Lately, Tolliver has been practically reduced to sneers and grumblings between shots of whiskey and puffs on his cigar.I think the problem is that they tried to develop too many storylines, and in the process they all suffered because they never really developed any of them fully. I also realized that IMO just about every woman on the show is now a character that sucks. The Gimp might be the most interesting one out of all of them.I continue to watch this season almost solely on the strength of Swearengen's character, although there are other decent ones (I think E.B. and his cook/manservant are both well-written characters). I blame the writers for such a bland season so far, though. Again, I hope it picks up and delivers by the end of the season.

In the closing scene, with Sol walking back after seeing Andy Cramed and Seth outside Doc's cabin, the expression on his face says it all. The director used that closeup to convey William is dead....Al, from the balcony saw it, and turns his head up and away as if 'Oh s*it, he knows too. It was so utterly sad. Watch it again and you'll see that was the intent. Instead of a final closeup on Seth or Martha...they used Sol. What an expression on his face!

I saw it again last night. In the last scene in Doc's place, William makes a few gasps of breath and then nothing. I guess that is to let us know he is gone.

In the closing scene, with Sol walking back after seeing Andy Cramed and Seth outside Doc's cabin, the expression on his face says it all. The director used that closeup to convey William is dead....Al, from the balcony saw it, and turns his head up and away as if 'Oh s*it, he knows too. It was so utterly sad. Watch it again and you'll see that was the intent. Instead of a final closeup on Seth or Martha...they used Sol. What an expression on his face!
Plus didn't they show the kid in a coffin in the previews for next week?

Wow - the show's been so bad the last few weeks this didn't even get a bump tonight.I really enjoyed the episode tonight - especially the meeting between Swearingen and Hearst - and I have been re-watching the season on On Demand and it was really only the last three weeks that were soap opera boring.They tied up sufficient lose ends here that it is questionable whether they need to come back for a season three. What needs to really be resolved?I know they left us with a few fairly uninteresting things like whether Tolliver dies, what happens with the Bullock/wife/Olma triangle given that she's carrying his kid, and the overriding what happens to the camp re: statehood, but if the show were not continued, I'd not be surprised (or particularly disappoineed).

i fully agree with that- i've been on board w/this show from day one - but it feels like the current storylines are petering out.

Oh, come on. There's plenty of room to make as many seasons out of this as they want to. All roles are changing with the entrance of George Hearst. That status of Deadwood as a Dakota territory, and the upcoming elections all need to be resolved; the position of Swear-engine in that territory still has to be resolved; Alma still has a significant gold claim that Hearst will no doubt covet. And now that the San Francisco ########## has been killed by Wu, this would seem to be Wu's and Swear-engine's big chance to step up to the plate with Hearst. The only thing that makes me question Tolliver's life expectancy is the fact that he's one of the principal characters in the series and I question whether they'd just kill him off.... but he's certainly pushing his luck with Hearst. And a leashed Wolcott took a long walk off a short balcony, so they'll never know whether Wolcott signed any letter that Tolliver talked about. Then there's the whole issue of labor to mine existing claims... right now they're using Cornish and other high graders, and we know the long-term plan is to bring in a Chinese labor force to work mines 24 hours. Thus, Wu's status should become more important. And this is just what comes to mind off the top of my head without really thinking about it. Plenty of material for as many seasons as they can sell. Plus, HBO committed to a third season at the end of last March already.

Not mentioned:1. What was in the letter from Al to Alma? Might just have been the letter from Isringhausen. Maybe not.2. More troubling was Al smiling to close out season 2. GDB "a very special Deadwood" where Al is visited by the ghost of Christmas past or something. They better not soften him up.

Not mentioned:

1. What was in the letter from Al to Alma? Might just have been the letter from Isringhausen. Maybe not.
Well he said it was from Isringhausen when he tossed it to Trixey so that's what I assumed. I think Toliver is done, his charachter has pretty much run it's course. What happens to the Bella Union if he does die? Could be an interesting story line.

What will happen with the Big Guy the Doc rescued?

Not mentioned:

1. What was in the letter from Al to Alma? Might just have been the letter from Isringhausen. Maybe not.
I thought it was the Pinkerton bribe money he received from the tutor.Great season ending episode.

I've enjoyed the series, but would not be sad to see it end now due to the immutible law of HBO specials: First two seasons rock. Thereafter, its all downhill.

I have been too busy to watch the last few episodes, but over the weeken the wife and I caught up and then we watched the finale last night.I am very happy with the way the stories are going.Al - I disagree that he is showing a heart for the first time by smiling at the end. Al has had a few moments in the show where he did the "right" or "happy" thing. The fact that it seems so against his personality is what makes those moments even better. It's in my opinion the best character on TV.And the scene with him and his guy going over the agreement and founding document of the territory was absolutely priceless. The letter he had Trixie give the widow was the letter that the Pinckerton teacher signed with what Al wanted her to say by paying her off and chasing her out of town.2. Seth and the Family.The kid dying was heartbreaking - and yes I didn't like the story line anyway. But that was a brutal way to go with it. Now, having said that - I really hated the final scenes with him and his wife. I really don't understand why they waste that much time with those 2.3. Woo and the Chinese - absolutely perfect the last few episodes. That is the funniest character on the show.4. Tolliver - I really didn't see that coming and was impressed with how they did it. Although I think the better ending to that story line would have been for the priest to hang himself and not the hooker killer. I'd hate to lose this character but that was a pretty good way to end him if you have to.If he is dead, I bet Jonie takes over the place and closes hers down. Lots of stuff can happen with that.5. Hearst - didn't expect the character to be like that - but then again I've been doing my best not to look into the truth of the town that is on the internet so that I don't lose entertainment value.I was surprised that EB sold to him - it will be interesting to see if they keep him in the show (in my opinion he's overstayed his welcome, but he was good when he was on).I actually had a notion that Hearst was going to start a string of events that led to HIM marrying the widow and therefore getting the mine and the bank in one shot, but maybe not. His assistant killing himself was too bad - I liked that character more and more. But I get why it happened.6. The Widow and Ellsworth - crap. I'm sick of both of them. Both should find a timely exit unless my point above in the intention of the story line.All in all, I was happy with the last few shows. I don't get the whole Fat Guy thing, but it's probably nothing. I will be upset if it doesn't come back - if for nothing else then Al's speeches to himself while getting head. (You dye your hair?) - I'm sorry that was classic.Hope to see them come back.

6. The Widow and Ellsworth - crap. I'm sick of both of them. Both should find a timely exit unless my point above in the intention of the story line.
Are you kidding me? Ellsworth is awesome. They've just set up the crux of Season III as Ellsworth - who was coming into his own in the scenes out at the mine, chasing off Wolcott - defends his new wife's mining interests from Hearst. There should be some good battles as Hearst tries to consolidate what he's got so far and perhaps go for more of "the color."

You guys know 1877 Deadwood was a real time and place, right? That fact will dictate much (but not all) of the ongoing story line.

E. B. Farnum was the mayor of Deadwood for many years. I'm certain he'll be back in Season 3. Same with Bullock, Swearengen, Charlie Utter, Calamity Jane and many others. Some other characters (Alma Garrett, Doc Cochran, Trixie, possibly Tolliver, more) are fictional characters or amalgams of other real-life Deadwood citizens; their continued story lines are at the whim of David Milch.

A SPOILER for any of you who didn't pay attention in you junior high History class: Deadwood burned to the ground more than once in the late 1800's. I expected to learn the smoke curling up from the street in last night's episode was the first destructive fire...but no. Just a bonfire of Asian hoors. False alarm.

Plenty of fodder left for several more seasons of Deadwood. :thumbup:

You guys know 1877 Deadwood was a real time and place, right? That fact will dictate much (but not all) of the ongoing story line.

E. B. Farnum was the mayor of Deadwood for many years. I'm certain he'll be back in Season 3. Same with Bullock, Swearengen, Charlie Utter, Calamity Jane and many others. Some other characters (Alma Garrett, Doc Cochran, Trixie, possibly Tolliver, more) are fictional characters or amalgams of other real-life Deadwood citizens; their continued story lines are at the whim of David Milch.

A SPOILER for any of you who didn't pay attention in you junior high History class: Deadwood burned to the ground more than once in the late 1800's. I expected to learn the smoke curling up from the street in last night's episode was the first destructive fire...but no. Just a bonfire of Asian hoors. False alarm.

Plenty of fodder left for several more seasons of Deadwood. :thumbup:
Yes I know it's real but that they are adding a little artistic expression. As I said, I'm trying to stay away from reality so as to not make the show unwatchable.

I have been too busy to watch the last few episodes, but over the weeken the wife and I caught up and then we watched the finale last night.I am very happy with the way the stories are going.Al - I disagree that he is showing a heart for the first time by smiling at the end. Al has had a few moments in the show where he did the "right" or "happy" thing. The fact that it seems so against his personality is what makes those moments even better. It's in my opinion the best character on TV.
He NEVER does the "right thing" for the sake of it. He does the thing that is in his best interests. If that coincides with the right thing, all the better to put a happy smile on it.Letter from Swearengen to Alma - I think you are right that it was either the original or a copy of Ringhausen's confession.If Tolliver dies, Hearst buys the Bella Union. He is buying everything in the town right now - he made offers on the hotel and Tom Nuttal's place. Tolliver doesn't just own the Bella Union - he owns a chunk of land in Chinatown, too.Mosely lives (the fat man?) - but I imagine at some point he faces up to the fact he shot his brother.EB will be back next year - the proviso of Hearst buying the place was that he stay on as manager.I like Ellsworth - and Alma - Bullock's wife is a poor focus of the storyline and played by, IMO, a horrendous actress.I guess it is an annual thing on this show that they kill off Mr. W/Jack McCall - I wonder who he'll come back as next year. :)

Oh, come on. There's plenty of room to make as many seasons out of this as they want to.
No shizzee - did I say the "stories" are running out? Pick up a history book of Deadwood and you'll see there are an infinite number of stories. No - I said the current - CURRENT - storylines seem to have petered out.There was no cliffhanger on the season closer that will hold my interest enough that I'll be chomping to see what happens- compare with the Sopranos season 5 closer, the Shield's closer each year, Carnivale's closer, etc.I have been with this show from day one. noone is a bigger fan of the show than I am. But I call it as I see it.

A SPOILER for any of you who didn't pay attention in you junior high History class:
You studied Deadwood in jr. high? Where'd you grow up? Sturgess? :P
I took a class in 8th grade called "The American West". Loved that class! Billy the Kid, Sam Bass, Wild Bill and Calamity Jane...Deadwood, the cattle towns from Texas to Montana, Donner's Pass, the Gold Rush of 1849. Good stuff.And we studied the Battle of the Little Big Horn in "Famous American Battles"...possibly the best class I took in high school due to the enthusiasm and energy of the teacher (a WWII vet who loved breaking battles down to the last hobnail).

In the credits at the end of the show, I saw Gordon Clapp's name (Medavoy from NYPD Blue). Who was he in the show?

In the credits at the end of the show, I saw Gordon Clapp's name (Medavoy from NYPD Blue). Who was he in the show?
I thought my eyes were deceiving me - he was behind Andy on the podium during the wedding in the last episode.

Netflixed the first disc. How do you people watch this nonsense. :lmao:
Huh? Good stuff here man. Other than Sopranos (and lately, that one is falling) this is the only reason to actually get HBO.

when does the new season start?
How many seasons are there? I watched one on DVD, and now am catching new episodes every Saturday night. But, if those aren't new episodes, and a new season is fast approaching, I am very excited. Last week, the doc fixed Al's problem. I don't want to give away too much info and spoil anything if someone didn't want to know, IYKWIM. So are these old episodes, or the new season already? TIA!

Twenty minutes from now all my dissappointment from last week's poor excuse for entertainment should be washed away. The fact is Al Swear-engine :thumbup: IS the best character on television. The rest of the show just needs to try and keep up. Entourage will be waiting in the wings as well.

P.S. I have researched Deadwood's history, particularly the characters on the show. There were two major fires in the business district of town as mentioned above. While this could very well be a big storyline for the series, it is also the reason that alot of the history is hard to prove. Many things that are considered unfounded or even mythical could very well be true. There just isn't any recorded history to prove it. And of course, every story that gets retold for a hundred years is bound to get stretched a few times. I like to see how they combine all these elements. So far, so good.

Twenty minutes from now all my dissappointment from last week's poor excuse for entertainment should be washed away. The fact is Al Swear-engine :thumbup: IS the best character on television. The rest of the show just needs to try and keep up. Entourage will be waiting in the wings as well.

P.S. I have researched Deadwood's history, particularly the characters on the show. There were two major fires in the business district of town as mentioned above. While this could very well be a big storyline for the series, it is also the reason that alot of the history is hard to prove. Many things that are considered unfounded or even mythical could very well be true. There just isn't any recorded history to prove it. And of course, every story that gets retold for a hundred years is bound to get stretched a few times. I like to see how they combine all these elements. So far, so good.
I'm so tempted to watch the east coast feed but the kiddies are still up. This is gonna be the best night of TV in the last few months.

No HBO for me but I've torrented the 1st 2 seasons and 3.1 is on it's way now.

Season 1 was spectacular. Lots of twists and turns and someone died most every week.

Season 2 was so-so. Alma Garrett only got interesting when she was banging the sheriff. Her dialog is very well crafted though.

I hope Season 3 is better. Gotta remember to check the torrent sites on Sunday night!

Last night's Deadwood episode was better than the entire last season of the Soprano's. And this is from someone who watches each episode of the Soprano's religiously, while catching Deadwood from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread