What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Baltimore: The Next Ferguson? (2 Viewers)

I agree it is a tangent, but yeah mothers, brothers and friends call the DA and the police when their loved one has a drug problem or if they don't want them on drugs at all.
What? Please. A white middle-class mom might call police if she finds dope in her kid's room. Nobody else is calling police because their family is addicted to crack.
Not on the kid, the dealer, to get the dealer out the neighborhood.

Does anyone know exactly what the mayor said? A commentator on CNN was very angry about it, called it completely irresponsible. But I missed what was said.
"While we tried to make sure that they were protected from the cars and the other things that were going on, we also gave those who wished to destroy space to do that as well. And we work very hard to keep that balance and to put ourselves in the best position to deescalate, and thats what you saw." -- Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake

People were upset about this phrase, "we also gave those who wished to destroy space to do that as well."
Upset? I don't know anything about her and I'm ####### outraged. A public official allowing for violence?
I can't believe I'm 16 pages behind on this thread. So this may have been addressed, but: There are lots of different ways a person could interpret the Mayor's words. One interpretation is: "We have an out-of-control mob. Rather than risk lives and potentially escalate the situation, we think the best way to handle this is to let this stay contained to property damage, and the mob will eventually burn itself out. That's a better option than lives getting lost because we tried to physically constrain a situation that is unconstrainable." (or something like that).

March 20, 2015: Possession of a Controlled Dangerous Substance

March 13, 2015: Malicious destruction of property, second-degree assault

January 20, 2015: Fourth-degree burglary, trespassing

January 14, 2015: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute

December 31, 2014: Possession of narcotics with intent to distribute

December 14, 2014: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance

August 31, 2014: Illegal gambling, trespassing

January 25, 2014: Possession of marijuana

September 28, 2013: Distribution of narcotics, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, second-degree assault, second-degree escape

April 13, 2012: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, violation of probation

July 16, 2008: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession with intent to distribute

March 28, 2008: Unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance

March 14, 2008: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to manufacture and distribute

February 11, 2008: Unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession of a controlled dangerous substance

August 29, 2007: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, violation of probation

August 28, 2007: Possession of marijuana

August 23, 2007: False statement to a peace officer, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance

July 16, 2007: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance (2 counts)
Seems like drug laws are the problem here.
Don't forget the assault laws, burglary laws, trespassing laws, destruction of property laws, and probation laws.

Nice young man :thumbup:
Otis, you are way out of line here. Offensively out of line.

January 14, 2015: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute

September 28, 2013: Distribution of narcotics, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, second-degree assault, second-degree escape

April 13, 2012: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, violation of probation

July 16, 2008: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession with intent to distribute

March 14, 2008: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to manufacture and distribute

February 11, 2008: Unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession of a controlled dangerous substance

August 29, 2007: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, violation of probation

August 23, 2007: False statement to a peace officer, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance

July 16, 2007: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance (2 counts)
Don't forget the assault laws, burglary laws, trespassing laws, destruction of property laws, and probation laws.

You find facts about Gray offensive?

Interesting. The '67 riots destroyed my city, it was before I was born but my grandparents lived on the edge of where the riots ended up. Detroit never recovered, anyone with the ability to move out did over the next 20 years and you see where it is today. The interstate system displaced many of the poorest residents in many urban areas, and then the Fair Housing Act of 1966 brought drastic changes to very segregated areas. Then the riots came, and then everyone with means left. Rinse and repeat in St Louis, Newark, Cleveland, Chicago, Baltimore and many more cities across the country. Long story short since I don't want to get to deep into this, we really haven't learned from what happened almost 50 years ago and we've repeated some of the mistakes that made many urban areas in this country nearly unlivable. Runaway crime, drugs, poverty, and a mentality of the populace of nothing to lose. Part of it is a policing problem but it is a societal problem and we love to just ignore our problems hoping they will dissolve on their own. Well they don't, and the destitute will have their say here and in many places all over the world. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
The question is why are they destitute and do the comfortable really truly care?

The answer to the second part is clearly "no".

The answer to the first part is much more difficult and goes to much deeper issues than most are willing to acknowledge IMO.
But instead of solely the history of segregation and income inequality, one might also consider political corruption, one-party systemic rule, unsustainable public services, unsustainable union practices, and a breakdown of basic familial and social norms -- it seems like another place to start.
If we are going here shouldn't you start with the war on drugs? Has any single policy wrecked more havoc on our urban centers the past 45 years?
Don't leave out Easy access to drugs and a culture which glorifies their usage, the decline of the social structures such as family, church, schools...
I hate this line of reasoning. Garbage.

Does anyone know exactly what the mayor said? A commentator on CNN was very angry about it, called it completely irresponsible. But I missed what was said.
"While we tried to make sure that they were protected from the cars and the other things that were going on, we also gave those who wished to destroy space to do that as well. And we work very hard to keep that balance and to put ourselves in the best position to deescalate, and thats what you saw." -- Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake

People were upset about this phrase, "we also gave those who wished to destroy space to do that as well."
Upset? I don't know anything about her and I'm ####### outraged. A public official allowing for violence?
I can't believe I'm 16 pages behind on this thread. So this may have been addressed, but: There are lots of different ways a person could interpret the Mayor's words. One interpretation is: "We have an out-of-control mob. Rather than risk lives and potentially escalate the situation, we think the best way to handle this is to let this stay contained to property damage, and the mob will eventually burn itself out. That's a better option than lives getting lost because we tried to physically constrain a situation that is unconstrainable." (or something like that).
People all night long here, on the news and citizens were clamoring on why the police are just standing by.

I'm glad they stood there.

Last thing you need is more video footage of black men being beaten and dragged by police.....god forbid 1 dies.

I don't care how much property is destroyed police will NOT look good with those videos/images.

This was a PR way of handling the riots as well as ensuring the safety of the police and the Baltimore thugs and/or innocent bystanders.

I don't see anything that he has done above to warrant what happened to him :shrug:

Really a shame.

I can somewhat understand racial frustrations....but protest and riot at the police precincts, government buildings and political locations.

Looting local stores and causing damage and destruction to your own community just solidifies and shows America you people really don't care about Freddy Gray or police brutality it's just a good reason to wile out and tear #### up.

Direct your anger and frustration (even if violent and aggressive) towards the authority you put so much blame on, not Jamal's Liquor store on N16th ave.
Good posting!

The exhibition last night not only fuels the current racism, but probably causes more of it. Nice work. (MLK rolling over in grave)

Yes! I generally oppose throwing resources at problems in a manner that are not only ineffective but makes the problems worst. Maybe the cost-benefits can be altered within the framework of keeping it and others illegal (maybe a more targeted approach) such that I change my mind, but I'm not holding my breath that prohibition will ever work. And I think cocaine is preferable to the random chemistry project alternatives.
What if a mother sees her son getting burned up by the stuff. No one to call, right?
The money spent on the criminal justice system would be much better spent on education and treatment.

A star I heard on the radio; only 27% of the Baltimore police live in Baltimore. So this is part of the problem, as they're perceived as an occupying force rather than part of the

community.
My sense is that is probably in line with most cities
It's an issue in New Orleans. Our problem is we can't hire and keep enough cops., we need them from wherever we can get them. I'll add that I've been in favor of reforms, I bet we now have more than any city, buy unfortunately the cops have been quitting in droves because of them. Well because of the reforms and the absolute rock bottom pay.

Last edited by a moderator:

People all night long here, on the news and citizens were clamoring on why the police are just standing by.

I'm glad they stood there.

Last thing you need is more video footage of black men being beaten and dragged by police.....god forbid 1 dies.

I don't care how much property is destroyed police will NOT look good with those videos/images.

This was a PR way of handling the riots as well as ensuring the safety of the police and the Baltimore thugs and/or innocent bystanders.
The police really had no choice but to just stand there. As soon as one of them shot their weapon or started going after the looters, Baltimore would have turned into a complete war zone.

More the air of cluelessness, disregard of context, and tone-deafness coming from the velvet recliner in westchester county or whatever suburb he sips the wrong whisky in these days.

First, they came for the toothpaste and I did not speak out.

Then they came for the paper towels and deoderant and I did not speak out.

You know how this ends.

Interesting. The '67 riots destroyed my city, it was before I was born but my grandparents lived on the edge of where the riots ended up. Detroit never recovered, anyone with the ability to move out did over the next 20 years and you see where it is today. The interstate system displaced many of the poorest residents in many urban areas, and then the Fair Housing Act of 1966 brought drastic changes to very segregated areas. Then the riots came, and then everyone with means left. Rinse and repeat in St Louis, Newark, Cleveland, Chicago, Baltimore and many more cities across the country. Long story short since I don't want to get to deep into this, we really haven't learned from what happened almost 50 years ago and we've repeated some of the mistakes that made many urban areas in this country nearly unlivable. Runaway crime, drugs, poverty, and a mentality of the populace of nothing to lose. Part of it is a policing problem but it is a societal problem and we love to just ignore our problems hoping they will dissolve on their own. Well they don't, and the destitute will have their say here and in many places all over the world. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
The question is why are they destitute and do the comfortable really truly care?

The answer to the first part is much more difficult and goes to much deeper issues than most are willing to acknowledge IMO.
But instead of solely the history of segregation and income inequality, one might also consider political corruption, one-party systemic rule, unsustainable public services, unsustainable union practices, and a breakdown of basic familial and social norms -- it seems like another place to start.
If we are going here shouldn't you start with the war on drugs? Has any single policy wrecked more havoc on our urban centers the past 45 years?
Don't leave out Easy access to drugs and a culture which glorifies their usage, the decline of the social structures such as family, church, schools...
Huh? One of the strongest correlations/predictors for future poverty and criminal conduct is being raised by a single parent. Anyone who has been raised by a single parent knows how difficult it is for both the parent and child. To ignore that factor is foolishness.

It's about class and poverty. We've adopted policy over the last fourty years that creates these environments. Crushed unions. Refused to pay a living wage. Systematically deprived entire neighborhoods of investment.
Long term it has significantly more to do with the breakdown of the family structure, particularly in these poor neighborhoods.

And, frankly, we have lots of government incentives to stay unwed and have children out of wedlock.
Create incentives that destroy the family structure and then wonder why the family structure is destroyed. :wall:

Apparently a senior center run by a church was one of the buildings burned. That's really sad, a lot if grandmas in that area probably really loved that place.
It wasn't even open yet.
:lmao:

But but imagine poor granny walking six miles through the stifling 100 degree heat on a cracked cane and no water just for a can of Ensure and some bingo.
I was thinking of an elderly black woman who is a friend of mine. Yep she would walk with cane by hook or crook to get to this place almost every day:

http://judeshrine.com/st-jude-community-center/

As infirm as she was she would bake and help the sick and weak there herself, amazing. She had a lot of friends there and there are a lot of grandmas who are wonderful people there. That's the kind of place I imagined.

But it turns out this was going to be a public housing center built by a Baptist church that was just going to provide housing for the elderly. So you know you're right, now they won't have that now and that really is pretty "funny." Thanks for pointing that out.
I love how your heart breaks for poor granny when the situation fits your agenda. Meanwhile we have millions suffering routinely in poverty and deplorable conditions all over the country and your response is something like "GET A JOBN LOSERS!"

Seriously. Piss off. Go shed your crocodile tears somewhere else. You couldn't give a crap about granny. You just want to get on the cross.
I take it y'all's concern for the loss of the housing center is real though, we know that because of the " :lmao: " at the top, which is being defended here? I don't think you mean to do that.

Major diversion, let's drop it. Thanks.
I didn't realize I made a funny too. I must be funnier than I thought. :thumbup:

I don't see anything that he has done above to warrant what happened to him :shrug:
I don't think we're sure what happened to him yet. Also, I didn't see anyone saying he deserved to be killed.

Ms Mayor talking sounds like every "disagreement" me and Mrs Bats have together:

Me. Well you said xxx xxx xxxx

Mrs bats. No I never said that

Me: yeah, that's exactly what you said

Mrs Bats: well that's not what I meant

Me: how come you never say what you mean?

Mrs Bats: it's always me, I'm always wrong

Me: well, yeah

God help us if we're ever dumb enough to elect a woman president.
:lmao: :lmao:

Holy crap, this is word for word our argument.

Either tell me where I am mistaken, or fix what you are doing wrong. But don't say "oh, I'm always the one who screws up" in a way that dismisses my concern.

Why are these people blaming the cops for not being certain places? There's riots all over the damn place. Lmao
There is a line of 100-200 cops literally watching looting going on from a block away on Fox. I don't blame these people being pissed off they are just standing there doing nothing. Like the guy said "why the #### are they here then!"
To protect the news cameras, so we can all watch live on our TVs. :shrug:

Really a shame.

I can somewhat understand racial frustrations....but protest and riot at the police precincts, government buildings and political locations.

Looting local stores and causing damage and destruction to your own community just solidifies and shows America you people really don't care about Freddy Gray or police brutality it's just a good reason to wile out and tear #### up.

Direct your anger and frustration (even if violent and aggressive) towards the authority you put so much blame on, not Jamal's Liquor store on N16th ave.
Good posting!

The exhibition last night not only fuels the current racism, but probably causes more of it. Nice work. (MLK rolling over in grave)
I don't think so.

It is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. -MLK
Bonus quote, from Ta-Nihisi Coates:

When nonviolence is preached as an attempt to evade the repercussions of political brutality, it betrays itself. When nonviolence begins halfway through the war with the aggressor calling time out, it exposes itself as a ruse. When nonviolence is preached by the representatives of the state, while the state doles out heaps of violence to its citizens, it reveals itself to be a con. And none of this can mean that rioting or violence is "correct" or "wise," any more than a forest fire can be "correct" or "wise." Wisdom isn't the point tonight. Disrespect is. In this case, disrespect for the hollow law and failed order that so regularly disrespects the rioters themselves.
Or if you prefer the humorous approach, this one is always a winner:

"i don't understand the rioting" says Chalmers Mush of Dorkville, MN, where cops help him load groceries into his porsche cayenne

I agree it is a tangent, but yeah mothers, brothers and friends call the DA and the police when their loved one has a drug problem or if they don't want them on drugs at all.
What? Please. A white middle-class mom might call police if she finds dope in her kid's room. Nobody else is calling police because their family is addicted to crack.
Not on the kid, the dealer, to get the dealer out the neighborhood.
Here's the thing: I would expect that both you and Bottomfeeder Sports would both agree that we need to get the dealer out of the neighborhood. You are just disagreeing, really, on the most effective method of "getting the dealer out." And it is a reasonable disagreement, I think. You would focus on the eliminating the supply from the production side. He would focus on eliminating the demand (by taking out the monetary incentive by legalizing), thereby ultimately undercutting the supply because the price has been driven down.

The irony here is that Bottomfeeder's "solution" is really one based on Capitalistic concepts. "Let the Market work it's magic." Republicans seem to have great faith in the Market in handling environmental issues (and Dems don't), while it seems to be reversed in drug issues.

A star I heard on the radio; only 27% of the Baltimore police live in Baltimore. So this is part of the problem, as they're perceived as an occupying force rather than part of the community.
First, do you think the average Baltimorian really knows what percentage of the police force live in Baltimore proper or whether the particular officer they are dealing with is from Baltimore proper?

Second, it doesn't matter much if all the officers are black and from Baltimore because the police departments, the organization, are viewed by many of the protestors and rioters as a wing of white institutional racism. Individual officers, regardless of their race, are viewed as part of this.

Finally, the rioters are criminals. Not only during the riots but likely during their everyday lives. Of course they are going to view officers who are trying to stop crime as their adversary.

I dont think it's as much the glorifying "usage" as glorifying selling. The game.
Smoke weed every day.
That's fine, but weed is not the problem from any angle.
Disagree, especially for kids:

Long-term cannabis use may blunt the brain's motivation system

by Sam Wong

01 July 2013

Long-term cannabis users tend to produce less dopamine, a chemical in the brain linked to motivation, a study has found.

Researchers found that dopamine levels in a part of the brain called the striatum were lower in people who smoke more cannabis and those who began taking the drug at a younger age.

They suggest this finding could explain why some cannabis users appear to lack motivation to work or pursue their normal interests.

The study, by scientists at Imperial College London, UCL and King’s College London, was funded by the Medical Research Council and published in the journal Biological Psychiatry.

The researchers used PET brain imaging to look at dopamine production in the striatum of 19 regular cannabis users and 19 non-users of matching age and sex.

The cannabis users in the study had all experienced psychotic-like symptoms while smoking the drug, such as experiencing strange sensations or having bizarre thoughts like feeling as though they are being threatened by an unknown force.

The researchers expected that dopamine production might be higher in this group, since increased dopamine production has been linked with psychosis. Instead, they found the opposite effect.

The cannabis users in the study had their first experience with the drug between the ages of 12 and 18. There was a trend for lower dopamine levels in those who started earlier, and also in those who smoke more cannabis. The researchers say these findings suggest that cannabis use may be the cause of the difference in dopamine levels.

A star I heard on the radio; only 27% of the Baltimore police live in Baltimore. So this is part of the problem, as they're perceived as an occupying force rather than part of the community.
First, do you think the average Baltimorian really knows what percentage of the police force live in Baltimore proper or whether the particular officer they are dealing with is from Baltimore proper?

Second, it doesn't matter much if all the officers are black and from Baltimore because the police departments, the organization, are viewed by many of the protestors and rioters as a wing of white institutional racism. Individual officers, regardless of their race, are viewed as part of this.

Finally, the rioters are criminals. Not only during the riots but likely during their everyday lives. Of course they are going to view officers who are trying to stop crime as their adversary.
Agree. This kind of reminds me of the constant comments from Baltimore officials last night saying that "Most of the looters aren't even from Baltimore." OK...how do they know that? Do they have the names of all the looters?

Ms Mayor talking sounds like every "disagreement" me and Mrs Bats have together:

Either tell me where I am mistaken, or fix what you are doing wrong. But don't say "oh, I'm always the one who screws up" in a way that dismisses my concern.
:goodposting: They're a special breed, aren't they?! :lol:

It's about class and poverty. We've adopted policy over the last fourty years that creates these environments. Crushed unions. Refused to pay a living wage. Systematically deprived entire neighborhoods of investment.
Long term it has significantly more to do with the breakdown of the family structure, particularly in these poor neighborhoods.

And, frankly, we have lots of government incentives to stay unwed and have children out of wedlock.
Create incentives that destroy the family structure and then wonder why the family structure is destroyed. :wall:
It's a good point. I've said for years that I hate the way both R's and D's are dug-in on Welfare issues. Many R's just demonize the poor for taking advantage of incentives given (rather than seeing them for the rational beings they are), and many D's refuse to see that government programs that "help" the poor (and they do help), also provide incentives to stay unwed and other unwanted results.

It's enough to drive a thoughtful person crazy.

Agree. This kind of reminds me of the constant comments from Baltimore officials last night saying that "Most of the looters aren't even from Baltimore." OK...how do they know that? Do they have the names of all the looters?
A bunch of the people on the street who were interviewed were saying that they lived in the neighborhoods that were being looted and they didn't know most of the people who were doing it.

I have no doubts a bunch came from Philly and D.C. to get their loot on.

Sweet J, that's a thoughtful response and you seem to hit the crux of it. I happen to be in favor if regulation in a lot of instances. I'm not sure I see a difference between FDA regulation of pharmaceuticals to be sure they're safe and keeping narcotics off the streets. Heroine was first developed by Bayer, doesn't mean I think it should be on a Walgreens shelf with a clear warning it might kill the user. I also think cigarettes should be banned because it causes cancer, and I don't know why the public wants to profit via taxes on things that kill people. Arguably that's not true of MJ so I'm willing to listen on that one, but I'd let the FDA make the call on the harm it does or does not cause.

Stealing this. Thank you!

The war on drugs is no worse a failure than the war on poverty. Again, 50% unemployment among black males. Government assistance is propping up this cesspool of a city.

The war on drugs is no worse a failure than the war on poverty. Again, 50% unemployment among black males. Government assistance is propping up this cesspool of a city.
Are you blind or something? You even quoted my post where I told you many of them have jobs in the drug trade. And what is your level of familiarity with Baltimore? Do you live there? Have you spent much time there? Where do you live?

Just heard a stat that 50% of black adult males are unemployed in Baltimore. :doh:
Amazing that adult males who cross the border illegally and don't speak English can find jobs but people given all of the advantages of growing up in America cannot.

Are you blind or something? You even quoted my post where I told you many of them have jobs in the drug trade. And what is your level of familiarity with Baltimore? Do you live there? Have you spent much time there? Where do you live?
Sorry, I didn't take your post seriously.

Intriguing rebuttal

Users who are viewing this thread