What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrick Henry, BAL (5 Viewers)

Henry choked in a big way last night.

He had a six yard carry then a ten yard carry and next was 5 or 6. That was about it. He went 8 for 29 but we're near a yard a carry to get there.

On a play where Henry is to recognize any blitzing LBers, pick them up or get himself open for a dump pass, he completely didn't see the Jets LB that lit up Tanney. 

He missed another block later.

He missed a pass right to him and his little short routes were run right to where the defense was almost like he went and stood in a crowd. He looked amateurish as a receiver. Sadly, as a dad, I see little kids do that stuff all the time. Zero concept of being open, they just run into a crowd and yell "here, here." 

The second string line stunk but he hit the line of scrimmage half speed. Big guy has gotta slam into that LOS and "use what God gave him" as they say. It was totally reminiscent of the bad Titans lines of 2 years ago. RBs did the same thing then so Andrews passed them on the depth chart. It's horse... to tip toe up to the line, you run full speed and put your helmet down.

The two prior things make me figure he was super nervous. It was too dopey and not what he did last year at all. Geesh his whole college career he probably never tiptoed to the line like that.

He had such a huge opportunity and he threw it away. Murray returns on Monday. After my previous posts, I gotta say I'm totally backing off Henry in FF. I drafted him in the sixth round and thought he'd be a nice early steal. I was excited. Now? Not so much.

It was unlike Henry last night and there is three more games where he can 'win time' from Murray, but they have complete confidence in Murray. Henry needed to make them completely confident in him. He didn't.

I am bullish on Demarco, but I am slowly questioning that. 
Why? You shouldnt. It appears a lot of people who love to hype Henry continue to do so. 

DeMarco is the proven, good, studly back. Henry barely did OK in a preseason game, perspective sure, but it isnt like he did something recently to warrant the devoted hype. 

Henry will get some carries, a lot of them, but so will Murray as they run a ton in Tennessee. 

Pass on the proven guy, for the what if guy, for why? I'll stick with Murray until its proven his wheels come off, I just wont assume they will because others want to think that. 

Murray just had a 293/1200/9 and 53/377/3 but now they will abandon Murray because Henry is a world beater? I'll wait and see it actually happen first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mavis you missed dominance by Henry in practices and a scrimmage. Many thought like you, but a guy regularly running for teens changed the feeling. Can ya really sit a guy that ran for 14 and then 16 yards? Henry choked the other night so it's over, but I'm just trying to convey how it was all spring and camp. It wasn't just 4,5 yards but in the teens regularly.

Now I think it's simply that Murray fans gotta be leery of Henry getting hot. If he can do it again, Murray will sit til the Henry train stops rolling. They have a play with Jonnu and Fowler getting out wide with him that has been awesome in camp. Surely that will be called on occasion in the regular season. Henry has already been named the 4 minute back(time waster) so that's set. So...back to Murray, but a handful of plays and 4 minute O for Henry.

Henry choked in a big way last night.

He had a six yard carry then a ten yard carry and next was 5 or 6. That was about it. He went 8 for 29 but we're near a yard a carry to get there.

On a play where Henry is to recognize any blitzing LBers, pick them up or get himself open for a dump pass, he completely didn't see the Jets LB that lit up Tanney. 

He missed another block later.

He missed a pass right to him and his little short routes were run right to where the defense was almost like he went and stood in a crowd. He looked amateurish as a receiver. Sadly, as a dad, I see little kids do that stuff all the time. Zero concept of being open, they just run into a crowd and yell "here, here." 

The second string line stunk but he hit the line of scrimmage half speed. Big guy has gotta slam into that LOS and "use what God gave him" as they say. It was totally reminiscent of the bad Titans lines of 2 years ago. RBs did the same thing then so Andrews passed them on the depth chart. It's horse... to tip toe up to the line, you run full speed and put your helmet down.

The two prior things make me figure he was super nervous. It was too dopey and not what he did last year at all. Geesh his whole college career he probably never tiptoed to the line like that.

He had such a huge opportunity and he threw it away. Murray returns on Monday. After my previous posts, I gotta say I'm totally backing off Henry in FF. I drafted him in the sixth round and thought he'd be a nice early steal. I was excited. Now? Not so much.

It was unlike Henry last night and there is three more games where he can 'win time' from Murray, but they have complete confidence in Murray. Henry needed to make them completely confident in him. He didn't.
Y'know I absolutely value your opinion as the Titans guy around here @Bri, but don't you think this may be a bit of an overreaction?

He was playing with scrubs, against scrubs you have to expect sloppy football.

Henry will be fine IMO.

Why? You shouldnt. It appears a lot of people who love to hype Henry continue to do so. 

DeMarco is the proven, good, studly back. Henry barely did OK in a preseason game, perspective sure, but it isnt like he did something recently to warrant the devoted hype. 

Henry will get some carries, a lot of them, but so will Murray as they run a ton in Tennessee. 

Pass on the proven guy, for the what if guy, for why? I'll stick with Murray until its proven his wheels come off, I just wont assume they will because others want to think that. 

Murray just had a 293/1200/9 and 53/377/3 but now they will abandon Murray because Henry is a world beater? I'll wait and see it actually happen first.
I don't think any Henry "hype" is based on Week 1 of the preseason. He looked really good last year and Murray is another year older. I don't think anyone would pass on Murray to take Henry - it would be passing on Murray in Round 1/2 (and taking another top player) and then taking Henry in Rounds 6/7.

In my opinion I'd pass on both at their current ADP.

Murray is definitely the guy in Tennessee but even with his great end-of-year numbers his seemed to fade a bit down the stretch, after week 10.

I think it is reasonable to project that Tennessee will want to give Murray more relief, particularly when they have what appears to be a very good player backing him up.

And it's not a matter of passing on Murray for Henry, you pass on Murray for another top player with the hope of getting Henry much, much later.

Murray is definitely the guy in Tennessee but even with his great end-of-year numbers his seemed to fade a bit down the stretch, after week 10.

I think it is reasonable to project that Tennessee will want to give Murray more relief, particularly when they have what appears to be a very good player backing him up.

And it's not a matter of passing on Murray for Henry, you pass on Murray for another top player with the hope of getting Henry much, much later.
Thats fair and thanks for clarification of your point. 

I don't think any Henry "hype" is based on Week 1 of the preseason. He looked really good last year and Murray is another year older. I don't think anyone would pass on Murray to take Henry - it would be passing on Murray in Round 1/2 (and taking another top player) and then taking Henry in Rounds 6/7.

In my opinion I'd pass on both at their current ADP.
Yeah, I tend to favor Henrys value, but see nothing wrong with Murrays. He touched the ball almost 350 total times last year...even if he lost 100 touches thats still 250 and thats nice considering how RB is a thin position with people getting those amount of touches in the first place. 

Y'know I absolutely value your opinion as the Titans guy around here @Bri, but don't you think this may be a bit of an overreaction?

Henry will be fine IMO.
Mularkey's whole mantra is "consistency"

Murray had a foot injury the last part of the season

Yeah, I tend to favor Henrys value, but see nothing wrong with Murrays. He touched the ball almost 350 total times last year...even if he lost 100 touches thats still 250 and thats nice considering how RB is a thin position with people getting those amount of touches in the first place. 
I think his ADP is reasonable given the RB landscape, but due to his age and usage and running style (and with his handcuff being so expensive, I just don't have a warm feeling about him.

need2know said:
Murray had a foot injury the last part of the season
Forgot about that. Of course that is also an argument to spell Murray more often. And, unlike last year the Titans have more confidence in Henry as the dedicated back up from the jump. No more concerns about him making a rookie mistake.

Chaka said:
Isn't that every coaches mantra? I'm not sure what that has to do with drafting either Henry or Murray.
It means that if he's not consistently delivering at a higher level than Murray, he stays a back up. And Henry's showing Saturday was, well, inconsistent.

Chaka said:

Henry will be fine IMO.
I'm sure Henry will be fine as the backup and we'll revert back to casting him as the eventual replacement over time. The hype was pretty strong amidst Titans fans and it just felt like the rug was pulled out. 

The fans at practice posting videos, they sure converted me from "No it's Murray's team" to "Hmmm I wonder." 

He started and stayed in. It wasn't all against scrubs and each teams second units had some starters still in. It could be seen as a second unit or the first with subs. Later, sure I could expect some sloppiness and get your point with that. 

I do think it's the first time in his life that he tiptoed to the line rather than put his head down and barrel through. I'd give that up to nerves and over-thinking. I'd also say Mularkey shifting his FB to the H-back caddy corner spot isn't Henry's style. He likes his FB. It's been that way all spring though and he ought to be adjusted by now. 

It just wasn't so dominant that it would make us wonder about Murray. Just time to revert back to where we had him pegged previously. Previously I did have him as one of the best backups in the NFL and capable of filling in well. I just sincerely believed he was about to shock everyone. 

Dr. Octopus said:
I think his ADP is reasonable given the RB landscape, but due to his age and usage and running style (and with his handcuff being so expensive, I just don't have a warm feeling about him.
This goes to my point about the hype for Henry. What people will pay for him has nothing to do with Murray actually being productive or not. Henry is OK on value, but he could get pricier and I wont pay more then where he is at now.

It means that if he's not consistently delivering at a higher level than Murray, he stays a back up. And Henry's showing Saturday was, well, inconsistent.
I never said Henry would supplant Murray. I acknowledged Murray is the starter.

And let's try not to overreact to the preseason, particularly when the majority of players on the field are scrubs-vs-scrubs. It happens every year, people always remember the one call they got correct from the previous preseason and forget the dozens of incorrect assessments they made.

Henry averaged 4.5 ypc (110 carries) and 10.5 ypc (13 receptions on 15 targets) during live action last season.  Seems that should be the data set we should lend the most credence to.

I'm sure Henry will be fine as the backup and we'll revert back to casting him as the eventual replacement over time. The hype was pretty strong amidst Titans fans and it just felt like the rug was pulled out. 

The fans at practice posting videos, they sure converted me from "No it's Murray's team" to "Hmmm I wonder." 

He started and stayed in. It wasn't all against scrubs and each teams second units had some starters still in. It could be seen as a second unit or the first with subs. Later, sure I could expect some sloppiness and get your point with that. 

I do think it's the first time in his life that he tiptoed to the line rather than put his head down and barrel through. I'd give that up to nerves and over-thinking. I'd also say Mularkey shifting his FB to the H-back caddy corner spot isn't Henry's style. He likes his FB. It's been that way all spring though and he ought to be adjusted by now. 

It just wasn't so dominant that it would make us wonder about Murray. Just time to revert back to where we had him pegged previously. Previously I did have him as one of the best backups in the NFL and capable of filling in well. I just sincerely believed he was about to shock everyone. 
Yeah but didn't you say he still managed 20+ yards on his first three carries? I just looked up the play-by-play he got 21 yards on his first 5 carries (5, 9, 0, 4 & 3) with Mariotta as his QB.  On his next, and last, three carries with Alex "Trick-Shot" Tanney as his QB (so I imagine many o-linemen had been subbed out as well), he went 3 for 4 yards (-1, 3 & 2).    Heck if you break down most real NFL games you will see that kind of variation for probably every RB in the league.  I just don't see too much to be concerned about with that stat line.

Murray has clearly been the starter since they acquired him last year and nothing that happened last season or this preseason should have dissuaded anyone from that fact.  However I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect that Murray's workload will be reduced somewhat in the hope of keeping him performing at a high level throughout the season.  Many teams (most?) don't have the luxury of being able to pull a legitimate 3-down workhorse off their bench to spell their even more legitimate 3-down starter, but the Titans happen to be one of those teams and I think they will take advantage of it.

Yeah but didn't you say he still managed 20+ yards on his first three carries? I just looked up the play-by-play he got 21 yards on his first 5 carries (5, 9, 0, 4 & 3) with Mariotta as his QB.  On his next, and last, three carries with Alex "Trick-Shot" Tanney as his QB (so I imagine many o-linemen had been subbed out as well), he went 3 for 4 yards (-1, 3 & 2).    Heck if you break down most real NFL games you will see that kind of variation for probably every RB in the league.  I just don't see too much to be concerned about with that stat line.

Murray has clearly been the starter since they acquired him last year and nothing that happened last season or this preseason should have dissuaded anyone from that fact.  However I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect that Murray's workload will be reduced somewhat in the hope of keeping him performing at a high level throughout the season.  Many teams (most?) don't have the luxury of being able to pull a legitimate 3-down workhorse off their bench to spell their even more legitimate 3-down starter, but the Titans happen to be one of those teams and I think they will take advantage of it.
You are probably right.

The only other thing I can add to this is that I get alot of Titans news since I don't live far from them and I heard a Titans beat reporter specifically asked if they thought Henry was going to a bigger piece of the pie and their reply was Murray was the guy and nothing was changing.

There is no doubt Murray is the man, but I can easily see Henry take on a bigger role than last year. If nothing else, giving him more touches to keep Murray fresher. If the Titans plan on giving Murray close to 300 carries again, then I see a bigger risk to Murray lasting the entire year. Either way, Henry has value this year and could be a lotto ticket league winner if Murray breaks down. 

I've done about 30 FFPC drafts prior to this weekend, and Henry has been in the rounds 7-9 range in most of them. The times I've seen him go higher is usually to the Murray owner. In the 7-9 range he's going in the mix of Paul Perkins, Kareem Hunt, Forte, Lacy, Gore, James White, Samaje Perine, D. Martin, Woodhead, Powell, C.J. Prosise. Some of these guys might have safer floors, others have much greater questions, but I don't see any of them having higher ceilings than Henry if he takes over at some point. A lot of questions/risk in that mix of RBs IMO.

I had 5, 9, 6. Play by play has 5,9,4. The zero was a dump pass. Mariota was in for all that as was the OL.

It's easy for someone to not comment for a few months and be like "you never should have thought that way," as you are. It's a different perspective and ya gotta realize that. Like I said earlier, I was on the "it's Murray's job" train for much of the offseason until he started running for 15ish yards against the D on a significantly high percent of carries. That ain't normal and it made me change my tune and say there is a chance Henry could take Murray's job. Now I don't think so.

Above you asked if I was overreacting to Henry being the firm backup and I responded. 

This is Mularkey's bread n butter. He absolutely adores passer Marcus Mariota but yet speaks of running all the time. He would literally run every down if he could. It's his niche and he loves the exotic smashmouth label they earned. To have the offense put on your back, as a runner, Henry had to be special Saturday. He wasn't and he wasn't mistake free either. Mularkey loves Murray and even when the notion of Henry getting more carries was brought up, Mularkey said "there will be no shortage of work for him(Murray)" Faith, confidence, trust...pick your word. Murray has Mularkey's and Henry did not earn it Saturday. It's like the Eric Decker and Corey Davis fans. Matthews blocks well, has been "nails" on third down catches, and Mariota has total confidence in him. That IS what the Titans want. There is no desire or need to put Davis or Decker in as the 1 WR on 2 and 3 TE sets. Matthews does very well at it. On Saturday, the played 3 WR about half the time. That would be plenty of snaps for Decker and Davis. For one of them to replace Matthews, it's gonna take earning Mariota's trust and appearing to be better at it than Matthews. They are too new to have done that. Henry had a step back. Yeah he's fine as the backup, but to be 'the man' he is going to have to make less mistakes and be reliable. "Consistent" as Mularkey has said a zillion times since he took over.

Henry's advanced metrics were better than Murray's in several instances.

Also worth noting, Henry faced more 8 man boxes than any other player in the league.(by percentage)

Henry is a beast waiting to be unleashed.

Henry's advanced metrics were better than Murray's in several instances.

Also worth noting, Henry faced more 8 man boxes than any other player in the league.(by percentage)

Henry is a beast waiting to be unleashed.
Don't disagree with any of that.

But Mularkey does and he has to do the unleashing

I thought he looked absolutely unimpressive all around but this was by far his low point of the night. One of the worst missed assignments I've seen in some time, if that was Mariotta instead of Tanney who got lit up this missed assignment would have got a lot more attention by media/fans but the Titans staff is fully aware. If he makes a mistake like that again with Mariotta under center he'll play less this upcoming year than he did last year.

Derrick Henry rushed 16 times for 36 yards and two touchdowns in the Titans' second preseason game against the Panthers.

DeMarco Murray rested for this one, so Henry played the bulk of the first half and was the clear focal point of the offense when Matt Cassel entered the game. Henry couldn't get much going on his first few runs, but he blew around the edge and stiff-armed two defenders on his 17-yard touchdown before later scoring from one yard away on fourth-and-goal. Henry added three catches for 17 yards. If Murray ever goes down, Henry will be a fantasy RB1.

Aug 19 - 4:40 PM

He was good this week, very good. NOT dominant.

Definitely everything still the same, no changes.

It was nice to see him do well. They did use a play where Jonnu and Fowler get in front of him on a wide wide run. Both times, Henry ran very well and almost got a TD. Those are two big athletic blockers leading the way for a beast of a running back. Also, as I said, the linemen seem to love that play. I noticed Kline (the slowest of them all?) running out smiling and laying a nice block. When do linemen smile?

Look for this play this season. It keeps working really well

Henry's stiff arm seems even better than it was. A personal note of sorts I guess, but I love a back with a good stiff arm move. 

The Panthers were dopey and trying to tackle him up high a number of times. You could see the DC livid on the sidelines. 

I believe on one catch, Henry lined up in the slot.

Lots of good things from Henry this week

He was good this week, very good. NOT dominant.

Definitely everything still the same, no changes.

It was nice to see him do well. They did use a play where Jonnu and Fowler get in front of him on a wide wide run. Both times, Henry ran very well and almost got a TD. Those are two big athletic blockers leading the way for a beast of a running back. Also, as I said, the linemen seem to love that play. I noticed Kline (the slowest of them all?) running out smiling and laying a nice block. When do linemen smile?

Look for this play this season. It keeps working really well

Henry's stiff arm seems even better than it was. A personal note of sorts I guess, but I love a back with a good stiff arm move. 

The Panthers were dopey and trying to tackle him up high a number of times. You could see the DC livid on the sidelines. 

I believe on one catch, Henry lined up in the slot.

Lots of good things from Henry this week
Is he the type of RB that wears teams down and destroys them in the 4th quarter?

His big frame looks I guess more like a tight end when he is catching screens and such. It looks a bit odd for a play here or there, but he's got nice mitts to him. He doesn't seem to have any issue at all. I think it's just how big he is

Don't disagree with any of that.

But Mularkey does and he has to do the unleashing
I took him at the end of my draft, 12th round he was still there in a TD heavy league. Not confident in his ability to perform with Murray there, but sinc ehe already has a tweaked hammy, that might linger all season. If Murray misses I agree Henry is a beast in the waiting in that offense. If he was the everydown back in Tennessee he could score 12+ TDs easy. 

Derrick Henry surged to 24 yards on nine carries while adding three catches for 29 yards and a touchdown Sunday in the Titans’ third preseason game.

Henry couldn’t find much daylight on the ground, though he impressed with a weaving, 26-yard pickup on a shovel pass from Marcus Mariota. He registered Tennessee's only touchdown of the afternoon on a three-yard dump-off from Mariota early in the fourth quarter. Expect the former Heisman Trophy winner to improve on the 627 yards (490 rushing, 137 receiving) he logged as a rookie last year.

Is it terrible to wish Murray would win the lottery and walk away from football next week? ;)  
Don't think he would walk away if he won the lottery.  It's not like he's flipping burgers and that a lot of money would totally change his life :P

In my 12 team Super-flex, PPR redraft yesterday I drafted Henry as my #4 RB at 10.3 as the #36 RB off the board. McFadden, J.Charles & T.Coleman went after Henry. Of them I was strongly considering Coleman over Henry.  Rob Kelley, P.Perkins & Frank Gore came off the board before Henry.  I would have taken Kelley over Henry.

I feel like it is a solid value pick with significant upside at that point.

In dynasty, Murray is 29 yrs old.

By comparison, if RB's start to wear down @ 30yrs old, then Henry should be in position to win the starting spot within 1-2 years.

In Dynasty, who do people think Henry's value is?

In dynasty, Murray is 29 yrs old.

By comparison, if RB's start to wear down @ 30yrs old, then Henry should be in position to win the starting spot within 1-2 years.

In Dynasty, who do people think Henry's value is?
Pertinent information:

After 2017 Murray's contract does not have any guaranteed money. There was no signing bonus (that one stayed in Philly). so he can be cut or traded from the 2018 season without cap ramifications

Pertinent information:

After 2017 Murray's contract does not have any guaranteed money. There was no signing bonus (that one stayed in Philly). so he can be cut or traded from the 2018 season without cap ramifications
He's a goner.

Didn't see the game but as a Henry owner, love the stat line.  Changing of the guard or did Murray get dinged?
Henry is the four-minute back meaning he gets the carries when they're ahead. Murray and Mularkey and Robiske have all said this. 

A Large part he earned it this summer, some to keep Murray healthy.

While watching, I didn't expect Murray. They got a good lead, put Henry in and he got rolling and the lead got bigger. 

After the game, it was said that Murray's hammy tightened up on him a bit. It wasn't like said on the sideline during the game and he hobbled off

Henry seems clearly better.

Murray still seems uncomfy with a pause when he would just bust it. 

If we forget preseason and forget the rest, this is STARTING to look like a changing of the guard.

I would say typical is that Henry has to outperform Murray for a few more weeks til it triggers a change

He's a goner.
Nope.
They love him and he loves Tenessee. Murray would make an excellent third down back and backup and be a valuable locker room presence.

Maybe Mariota is the only one Mularkey loves more. Guy is all smiley and Murray has almost never done anything wrong. I'd be absolutely shocked if he was gone

Users who are viewing this thread