Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty & Redraft: RB Derrick Henry, Titans

Titans placed the franchise tag on RB Derrick Henry.

This was inevitable once the Titans worked out a long-term deal with Ryan Tannehill. Henry will make roughly $12.47 million this upcoming season barring an extension. The 26-year-old's nitpicked fantasy outlook remains concerning if only for his nonexistent usage as a receiver out of the backfield, which ultimately rendered him to a pedestrian 23 catches all year. Perhaps Dion Lewis' recent release, which vacated 12.3 routes per game from the Titans' backfield, allows Henry to avoid getting game-scripted off the field. Re-signing Jack Conklin would also do wonders for the Titans' offense ahead of the new league year.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 16, 2020, 10:24 AM ET

Posted (edited)

In redraft I consider him still in a contract year, should have another solid season with consistency at QB. 

Edited by Leroy Hoard

Thrilled he is back.

The problem with franchise tag is that makes the player money hungry the following year (although idk if they can tag twice in this CBA) and if he wanted Zeke money now, he'll want more next year.

There's already talk of a holdout and how the Titans should sign him long-term but the RB market really does favor the Titans choice to go with one year here. It's sad for backs but they burn out quick. As far as the holdout stuff, he hasn't said squat. "His people" though do bring up a great point- best HS RB ever, arguably one of the best college runners and he had to get paid as a 2nd rounder. Now after he leads the league in rushing and takes the Titans to the AFCG, he is about paid like a 2nd rounder again.

Most NFL teams do not have 15 mil available in late July. There are usually 3-4 bad teams that won't spend the cap that do and they almost never make a move because it'd be using that cap. There's late offseason trade talk but I think there's no way that happens.

I still expect the back from BC to be drafted by the Titans. He was getting his share of publicity and rising up draft boards til the CV hit. I like Derrick Henry not light and Henry .90 nicknames. If a big monster back that isn't shifty enough and has questionable hands can fall just enough he's a lock to be a Titan. That's gonna be "lookout NFL" if the Titans can pull that off. If they can't and suppose he goes in the first round, then that would translate as he profited off Henry's success while Henry didn't. He's a real interesting rook to be

10 hours ago, Bri said:

I still expect the back from BC to be drafted by the Titans. He was getting his share of publicity and rising up draft boards til the CV hit. I like Derrick Henry not light and Henry .90 nicknames. If a big monster back that isn't shifty enough and has questionable hands can fall just enough he's a lock to be a Titan. That's gonna be "lookout NFL" if the Titans can pull that off. If they can't and suppose he goes in the first round, then that would translate as he profited off Henry's success while Henry didn't. He's a real interesting rook to be

If they want a guy like that in the second, they may as well take him 29th and get the option of a fifth year

What 2020 first round pick would you trade him for or trade to get him?  I'm thinking at least a 1.03. How do others rank his value compared to this crop of rookies?

3 minutes ago, az_prof said:

What 2020 first round pick would you trade him for or trade to get him?  I'm thinking at least a 1.03. How do others rank his value compared to this crop of rookies?

I don't think I would go less than 1.01. 

1 hour ago, barackdhouse said:

I don't think I would go less than 1.01. 

I own Henry and don't think I'd give him up even for that. I am in a "win now" mode though, so I just can't handle the thought of trading him and having him go nuts next year.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Edgar said:

No way I trade my 1.01 for him. Around 1.04, we’ll talk

It's so strange. I agree with you. If I had the 1.01 I wouldn't trade it for him either.

But I own Henry and wouldn't accept the 1.01 for him.

What the hell does that mean? That we over value what we own?

• Like 2

Just now, kutta said:

It's so strange. I agree with you. If I had the 1.01 I wouldn't trade it for him either.

But I own Henry and wouldn't accept the 1.01 for him.

What the hell does that mean? That we over value what we own?

Well you don't have the 1.01 so you can't really be certain you'd refuse Henry for it. 

There's also the fear-of-failure factor.  Sitting tight is easy on big decisions and if you're wrong in 6 months it's a lot easier to live with.  I have a friend that has said many times "I won't trade because I'm afraid to get it wrong".  I keep telling him he might be getting it wrong by sitting tight and every time he just replies "the devil you know" which I don't even think is the correct use of that phrase.

I think he's a situational one - if you're win now he's worth the 1.01 because he's young enough that it could still pay long term and there's just enough risk with rookies that taking his sure points is attractive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kutta said:

I own Henry and don't think I'd give him up even for that. I am in a "win now" mode though, so I just can't handle the thought of trading him and having him go nuts next year.

I probably would, but only because it's super flex. 

Posted (edited)

I got Henry, won it all last year with him and have a strong team going into this year...i'd pass on the 1.01, but the temptation is there.

Edited by Rig24

Titans RB Derrick Henry signed his $10.2 million franchise tender.

ESPN's Adam Schefter added that, "Two sides are still committed to working for a long-term extension before July 15." Either way, Henry is locked in as the Titans' bell-cow RB for 2020. The idea that Henry is game-script dependent isn't exactly true; he had at least 16 touches in every game last season. Still, his ceiling could actually be higher moving forward if the Titans don't find a viable replacement for scat back Dion Lewis. Henry won't be confused with Christian McCaffrey or Austin Ekeler as far as receiving ability is concerned, but he's still averaged a healthy 10.1 yards per reception during his four-year career. More targets could be on the way in 2020.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Apr 2, 2020, 9:06 AM ET

Hoping they add the Boston College back and their usual two scat backs.

I would not be surprised if they signed a FB from the XFL or one of the RBs from the XFL that can play FB. Remember, Henry does best with a FB and it is not even close for comparison.

• Like 1

2020 Tennessee Titans fantasy football team preview: Is a top-10 finish in the cards for second-year beast, A.J. Brown?

Excerpt:

Is Derrick Henry more likely to finish as the overall RB1 or fall outside the top 10?

Matt: Unfortunately, we just can’t project Derrick Henry for the type of passing-game volume that a back would need to push for such a finish. Henry isn’t some LeGarrette Blount-type, net negative as a receiver but the fact remains that no coaching staff has ever decided to use him much through the air. Could that suddenly change in 2020? Perhaps. And receiving back Dion Lewis was shown the door. Yet, we need to see that to truly project a finish like this. Without that, Henry is more likely to finish as RB11 simply due to touchdown variance, rather than smash all the way to RB1 overall.

Dalton: In 12 games after Ryan Tannehill took over at QB, Henry totaled 1,695 yards with 15 touchdowns while playing through a legitimate lower leg injury. Dion Lewis has since left (the team seemingly replaced him with rookie Darrynton Evans, but the depth chart couldn’t be thinner after the third-rounder), and Henry quietly ranks top-five in yards per target among RBs over the last three years, so there’s plenty of reason for him to be more involved as a receiver in 2020. Given he’s the league’s best runner with the ball in his hands who also happens to be in a terrific situation, Henry is far likelier to finish as the overall RB1 than outside the top-10. In 0.5 PPR, he might even be the favorite to finish No. 1.

Andy: Look, Henry is an absolute terror as a ball-carrier and he’s a decent bet to go back-to-back as the NFL’s leader in rushing touchdowns. He needs to be drafted as a top-10 running back in every format. But finish as the No. 1 overall RB in half-PPR scoring? No, not gonna happen. Henry’s career-high in receptions in any season is just 18. Thirteen different backs caught at least 50 passes last year and four of them finished with double-digit touchdowns. I like Henry as much as anyone, but he’s not about to outscore the entire field.

I doubt he'll be RB1.  But I also don't think anyone will be shocked if he runs for 2,000 yards.  He got 321 touches in 15 games.  The volume will be there again.  

• Like 1

The Titans have had 5 or more backs in camp every year for as long as I can remember. I still think they could add one.

I still think they need a quality backup but there's a theory going around that they're waiting on Clowney and since he'll eat up a ton of $, they have to hold off on adding a few positions and maybe even skip.

One site had the Titans trying out that XFL back that played for Washington and he'd totally fit in perfectly but I haven't seen a single Titans reporter second that report.

They have several needs still and Edge is the major one. Second is a special return guy rather than just fill in types. This is usually a cheapie. I would certainly say that backup RB is up there. Many believe they sorely need a CB as Ryan was nails when Butler or Adoree were up N down. I agree. The Titans don't seem to though, everything is that they're comfy moving on. So suppose Clowney suddenly signs somewhere else, I'd expect a key free agent RB and some other Edge to be signed ASAP. If Clowney signs with Titans, then the XFL guy or some cheap backup that may be a camp body. 

14 hours ago, Bri said:

The Titans have had 5 or more backs in camp every year for as long as I can remember. I still think they could add one.

I still think they need a quality backup but there's a theory going around that they're waiting on Clowney and since he'll eat up a ton of $, they have to hold off on adding a few positions and maybe even skip.

One site had the Titans trying out that XFL back that played for Washington and he'd totally fit in perfectly but I haven't seen a single Titans reporter second that report.

They have several needs still and Edge is the major one. Second is a special return guy rather than just fill in types. This is usually a cheapie. I would certainly say that backup RB is up there. Many believe they sorely need a CB as Ryan was nails when Butler or Adoree were up N down. I agree. The Titans don't seem to though, everything is that they're comfy moving on. So suppose Clowney suddenly signs somewhere else, I'd expect a key free agent RB and some other Edge to be signed ASAP. If Clowney signs with Titans, then the XFL guy or some cheap backup that may be a camp body. 

soooooooo what exactly does all this mean for Henry?

5 hours ago, Deamon said:

there is no obvious handcuff.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Deamon said:

His job is safe.

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, cloppbeast said:

His job is safe.

Hard to think of many with a safer floor.

On 5/17/2020 at 3:56 PM, cloppbeast said:

His job is safe.

Was there any question?

On 5/17/2020 at 5:16 PM, Leroy Hoard said:

Hard to think of many with a safer floor.

Has to be the safest RB of the draft.  I don't think it's likely he goes back to his old ways of being under used.  Barring injury, he seems a lock for a top 10RB with a potential ceiling of top 3 RB.  That's what you want from your first round pick.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 1:06 AM, Deamon said:

Has to be the safest RB of the draft.  I don't think it's likely he goes back to his old ways of being under used.  Barring injury, he seems a lock for a top 10RB with a potential ceiling of top 3 RB.  That's what you want from your first round pick.

I don't at all disagree.

I think if there's a way it is because Vrabel/JRob ripped the heart out of the D and got too cute in free agency. Teams behind don't run as much. Henry is everything you want in a back as far as preparation, attitude, and work ethic. He probably works harder on his own than while with the team and amidst this COVID19 stuff, ya gotta feel good about a guy like that relative to his peers. After last year's easy camp for many, I assume Henry gets a pass during TC and has a fake injury- it's May and this is how Vrabel gives rest so...just a prediction