What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Leonard Fournette, FA (5 Viewers)

Game flow is huge for him and the Sanchize factor will help immensely with that. I expect Jacksonville to bounce back on defense and play from ahead or worst case be in a close game. LF banging ahead 20-25 or so times should give him 80+ yards and a good shot at a td. Throw in 3-4 recs and I’m happy. He’ll be in my lineup. 
The Jags as a whole are just getting slaughtered down here by the media and fans due to the woeful Thursday night effort. 

Expect strong performances by Fournette and Jags D.  If you don't see it this week in front of the final home crowd, they won't win again this year.

why would they suddenly have a strong performance? strong meaning what? defense? nope.offense? LOL..they haven't show that ALL  SEASON LONG why are they gonna flip a switch ? why does it matter that its the last home game for 2018?

they're laying down, the coaches are dead men walking. players dont want to get hurt in meaningless week 14 games .they just want to run out the string. Redskins still have something to play for, Sanchize or not, they're coming to play. I wouldn't count on 4nette to do anything meaningful against a pretty stout redskins' D. The Jags just played the lowly Colts defense and scored an amazing 6 pts. 2 FGs.whooooopie!!! the whole Jags team should be considered dead weight for fantasy purposes.in other words, look elsewhere.

why would they suddenly have a strong performance? strong meaning what? defense? nope.

why does it matter that its the last home game for 2018?
Between Weeks 4 and 12, Andrew Luck threw at least 3 touchdown passes every game....eight in a row.  In those games, the Colts scored 34, 24, 34, 37, 42, 29, 38 and 27 points.

In week 13 when facing the Jaguars in Jacksonville, Andrew Luck threw zero touchdowns and scored 0 points.

Since returning from injury in Week 10, Leonard Fournette's stat lines before his suspension and the dud against the Titans are as follows:

24-53-1, 5-56-1

28-95-1, 2-46-0

18-95-2, 3-13-0

These strike me as strong performances, but maybe your fantasy league has different scoring rules than mine.

And to understand the significance of an NFL team playing a home game, you may want call the Bovada help line

Yeah that defense at home held down the Pats other than some garbage time stuff, bottled up the Jets and Titans, was bad (with some huge help from Bortles TOs) against Houston, shut down Pitt, and completely shut down Luck. I feel pretty good that they’ll worst case keep the game close vs Sanchez allowing Fournette to get his huge volume of touches.

Yeah that defense at home held down the Pats other than some garbage time stuff, bottled up the Jets and Titans, was bad (with some huge help from Bortles TOs) against Houston, shut down Pitt, and completely shut down Luck. I feel pretty good that they’ll worst case keep the game close vs Sanchez allowing Fournette to get his huge volume of touches.
This is would be great, provided those of us who own Fournette somehow make it to next week, no thanks to that crap performance. I’m not liking my odds now after the OBJ news. I need a Hail Mary play to work out this week.

Can’t find a Jaguars thread... Tom Coughlin is starting to be rumored as coming out of the front office to replace Marrone as HC next year.

Yeah the jags certainly look like a team that has quit in both sides of the ball.

If I somehow survive this week(unlikely now) it will be really tough to roll fournette (and the jags d) out there again next week. Everyone out there other than Kessler (since he's playing for a job) just looks like they want the season to end already

Who is trusting Lenny this coming weekend? 

WAS showed they could play the run really well to start the season, but wheels seem to be wobbling if not falling off the bus as HOU and DAL torched them on the ground, and they didn't fare well against Josh Adams who hung 85 yards on them off of 20 carries, and of course, Barkley racking up 170 and touch this past week.

Other options I have are Lindsay and Cohen -- as RB2 and flex.  

Cohen squares off against GB who after showing some signs of life the previous few weeks, had over 100 yards put up combined by Ito and Coleman -- middling but not terrible. The big day Howard had last week makes me wonder about snap share potentially changing.

Lindsay has pretty much been a set and forget all year...until last week with a bit of a dud against a middling 49ers squad who can generate run stops in the interior with Bruckner and LB Fred Warner. But he faces CLE this week who have been pretty generous against the run...save for last week where they did a solid job limiting CMC and Cam. 

Not sure which two out of these three I trust most this week. Thoughts appreciated on Lenny this week, and on using him versus other options.

I might play Fournette this week, but I won't trust him.  Even when he had his good games, I have read reports that say if he was better he could have had multiple long runs, including long TD runs.

WAS showed they could play the run really well to start the season, but wheels seem to be wobbling if not falling off the bus as HOU and DAL torched them on the ground, and they didn't fare well against Josh Adams who hung 85 yards on them off of 20 carries, and of course, Barkley racking up 170 and touch this past week.

Cohen squares off against GB who after showing some signs of life the previous few weeks, had over 100 yards put up combined by Ito and Coleman -- middling but not terrible. The big day Howard had last week makes me wonder about snap share potentially changing.

Lindsay has pretty much been a set and forget all year...until last week with a bit of a dud against a middling 49ers squad who can generate run stops in the interior with Bruckner and LB Fred Warner. But he faces CLE this week who have been pretty generous against the run...save for last week where they did a solid job limiting CMC and Cam. 

Not sure which two out of these three I trust most this week. Thoughts appreciated on Lenny this week, and on using him versus other options.
I have Fournette, Chubb, Ware, Conner/Samuels.

Fournette and Chubb are the only guys I know are starting, FWIW. Last week was a dud obviously but he's put up 20+ points in his other 3 starts since coming back from injury.

For me, if he's actually healthy and not suspended, he's an auto-start.

I am starting Fournette where I have him but my other options are not as good in those leagues as yours.

For Fournette I get more worried about games where the Jags fall way behind than games with a stout run defense.  I wouldn't think the Redskins will pull away with whomever they're starting at QB.

If Fournette is getting 20 carries, ~3 catches, and goaline work then I will take what comes of that even if the defense is good.

I somehow survived this week, no thanks to this bum. I had voiced concerns about the game against Tenn, which came to fruition. Unfortunately, my team is in collapse mode at the wrong time. 

PPR, these are my RBs and how I rank them:

CMC

Conner (if he plays)

Fournette/Carson/Justin Jackson (3A/3B/3C)

Mack/Michel

Gus Edwards

If Conner doesn't play, he is 100% in my lineup.

Great answers/insights. Agree volume will be there for Fournette, and WAS looks like a good match up.

Not to make it about me, but other options (Cohen v GB; Lindsay v CLE) are also great match ups, and need to use 2 out of the 3. Any thoughts?

I somehow survived this week, no thanks to this bum. I had voiced concerns about the game against Tenn, which came to fruition. Unfortunately, my team is in collapse mode at the wrong time. 

PPR, these are my RBs and how I rank them:

CMC

Conner (if he plays)

Fournette/Carson/Justin Jackson (3A/3B/3C)

Mack/Michel

Gus Edwards

If Conner doesn't play, he is 100% in my lineup.
I would rank them CMC, Carson/Conner (if Conner plays, I see this as a toss-up between the two), Jackson, Mack, Michel, Edwards.

So he’s just been benched? Idk what’s worse.

He’s on my DND list next year. I don’t care about any hype or how cheap I can get him for, I want nothing to do with him. Guy is the worst.

Between Weeks 4 and 12, Andrew Luck threw at least 3 touchdown passes every game....eight in a row.  In those games, the Colts scored 34, 24, 34, 37, 42, 29, 38 and 27 points.

In week 13 when facing the Jaguars in Jacksonville, Andrew Luck threw zero touchdowns and scored 0 points.

Since returning from injury in Week 10, Leonard Fournette's stat lines before his suspension and the dud against the Titans are as follows:

24-53-1, 5-56-1

28-95-1, 2-46-0

18-95-2, 3-13-0

These strike me as strong performances, but maybe your fantasy league has different scoring rules than mine.

And to understand the significance of an NFL team playing a home game, you may want call the Bovada help line
Pass the hot sauce....need it to flavor my crow.  Freaking horrible.  Defense did nothing against a team with a decimated O Line, a 4th strong QB and limited skill position talent

as for Fournette, he was benched for someone named Dave Williams, and at one point, he was sent out to return a kickoff.   House cleaning time 

as for Fournette, he was benched for someone named Dave Williams, and at one point, he was sent out to return a kickoff.   House cleaning time 
Yeah, that was weird when he was standing in the end zone waiting to return a kickoff. He made that 25 yard run right after that, and was off the field again.

Probably ran his mouth off the coaches on the sideline or something and was punished for it.  Dude is quite the hot-head.

Probably ran his mouth off the coaches on the sideline or something and was punished for it.  Dude is quite the hot-head.
According to the Jags HC, they had planned all week to take a look at Dave Williams in the game. Fournette wasn't being punished.  Maybe they wanted to see if Williams can potentially take Yeldon's place next year since his contract ends this season.

People crying in this thread is peak internet.

Literally put Whah in the 3 posts above crying, it fits...
Whah, his coach is awful and benched him for scrubs, its all Fournettes fault.
Whah, Fournette is toxic because he is the best player on the team and his coaches suck.
Whah, He is on my DND list because I didnt win this week.

All that as if his 3 week stretch of 25ish points a weak is just something that grows on trees. Lets stop the crying and be honest here.
Fantasy football is crazy, its end of season coaches trying to save jobs and do stupid stuff we see it every year. Ben McAdoo last year benching Eli?

Now try the whah like this to popular rhetoric from a few years ago...
Whah, Gurley sucks he is on my DND list. Whah Goff sucks he is a bust. Those were what other genius fantasy footballers said when those players played for a bad coach in Jeff Fisher.

All of sudden Marrone is not arrogant? Buffalo Bills anyone? His ego is beyond what most NFL coaches can fathom, he makes Billy look humble and yet we decide he is some genius and benching the best player on the team is a genius coach move?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasted season.  Bad QB in play.  Why run him into the walls over and over? 

I don't know that I feel great about using him the last 2 weeks of this season, but I'll still consider him next year.  He's a great talent when healthy.  That said, injury concerns are real.  QB play is trash.  I don't know that you can love him as your 1st round pick next year--but maybe it all comes together for him and he's a nice value as a 2nd or 3rd round pick

I'm sure he'll end up with 25 carries this week on my bench...

The guy is one of my keepers so I'm stuck with him for the time being....let's just say I will be drafting RBs next year as if I don't even own Fournette.

Jags, you're rebuilding anyway. Might as well send him to the Colts for another 5th rounder.

Between CMC, Lindsay, and Cohen I have enough that, should I be lucky enough to make it into the ship (need Brees and CMC to be big tonite), I can comfortably bench Fournette.

He could somehow be the Lenny we all knew and hoped he would be in WK 16 against a MIA team who is near the bottom of the league against the run and is not improving.

But we just saw that script in a game against WAS whose D was also reeling against the run, and Fournette wasn't effective and didn't get reps.

Between the state of the QBs play, the D not being stout enough to give the offense time to get into a rhythm, and Fournette's own uninspired game play, I just can't see how he can be trusted.

Super hard if you don't have many options, but I feel I am extraordinarily lucky to potentially leave a gib game from Lenny on the bench in favor for super solid floor guys in a PPR. The ship isn't a time to increase risk, and sitting Lenny is a big part of that risk mitigation IMHO.

Wasted season.  Bad QB in play.  Why run him into the walls over and over?
Even if I agreed that Fournette merited such special attention as to be limited for the sake of self preservation that entire premise/excuse is thrown out the window when they subjected him to kickoff returns. I even wondered at first if they might want to try and trade him this offseason so would not want him to get hurt but again that theory got trashed when they put him as the kickoff returner.

Extremely curious and difficult decision to defend especially considering the psyche of the team. You got a frustrated defense which seems to quit some weeks, sure looked like they quit last week, and one of the reasons for their frustration is the inept offense. With a few weeks to go and a situation where Marrone should be fighting for his job he instead delivers a message to the defense and the team that winning right now is not that important.

My best guess is there is more to the story here because this makes little sense. Was Marrone on board with Fournette at pick 4 or was that a Coughlin move?  You had the report last week about Coughlin maybe taking over as HC next year, is this Marrone's way of giving TC a big FU in the way out the door?

As for Fournette's prospects I can't see him being in first round next year but I would agree he can be solid mid to late second round value. But afraid to say, if like me you took him at 1.1  or 1.2 in your dynasty draft two years ago over players you likely were considering like CMC or Mixon, you lost that call. 

The Jags starting center, who has graded out as the #7 center per PFF so far this year (he had pretty good ratings both with run blocking and pass blocking) was placed on IR today after getting injured last week. The Jags also promoted Ereck Flowers (the same Ereck Flowers who wasn't good enough to cut it on the two deep for arguably the worst OL in the league, the Giants) to starting LT last week. Their OL is an absolute dumpster fire.

The three upsides:

1. Their backup center is Tyler Shatley, who is above average at the position and a pretty good run blocker. He filled in nicely last year and didn't seem to impact Fournette's efficiency much (not that Fournette was ever terribly efficient).
  2. Their ROS schedule is pretty soft, with matchups @Buffalo, home against Indy (no slouch, but beatable as proven this past week), home against WAS (started the season strong, have been absolute garbage lately), @MIA and @HOU (which are both unremarkable in run defense).
  3. The majority of Fournette's successful runs (5+ yards or more) came off the LT, so Flowers wasn't as bad as I probably suspected he would be this past weekend. (https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/season/leonard-fournette/FOU564970/2018/10/carry)
I watched most of the game, so this is all anecdotal, but I didn't think he looked like a world beater yesterday. He looked somewhat hesitant behind the line and didn't run with the same power I'm used to seeing from him. I'm chalking most of that up to him shaking off the rust, but honestly I don't see his efficiency getting a ton better this year.

Bold prediction: His YPC is going to hover between 2.5 and 3.0 YPC the rest of the way, only buoyed by long breaks (he won't gain yards consistently in chunks, like some of the top tier guys are doing right now. He'll be dependent on big plays to lift that YPC stat which won't happen frequently), and he's going to live on volume. 

I agree he'll be a locked in starter, but I think expectations will have to be tempered.
Bumping this for visibility, and to eat crow a little since Fournette has performed better than I expected, given the circumstances.

Tl;DR of the upcoming post: This year was rough, and Fournettes' injury prone label is likely well deserved, but I think his struggles this year were symptomatic of organizational issues and issues outside of his control, and I believe he performed better than expected given the circumstances. He should be a great value pick next year.

Since my post on November 12th, Fournette has been active for 3.5 half games, was ejected for one half, and suspended for one full game. Here are how is stats look for those games where he's been active (taking away the half he was ejected and game suspended, so 3.5 games is my denominator in all of the averages).

• In that time, he has carried the ball 71 times for 272 yards (averages out to 20.2 carries for 77.7 YPG, averaging out at 3.85 YPC)
  • He has been targeted 12 times, pulling in 10 catches for 82 yards (averages out to 3.4 targets per game, 2.85 catches per game, and 23 yards per game)
  • While this is admittedly a tiny sample size, he's averaging 23 touches per "active" game and just over 100 yards, with just under a touchdown a game to show for it. No Todd Gurley, but volume I'd generally be okay with from my starting RB.
Now, let's put that into perspective.

• The Jags are still starting their back-up LT, Ereck Flowers, arguably the worst offensive lineman in the league.
  • The Jags are still starting their back-up Center, Tyler Shatley. He's a serviceable replacement.
  • The Jags starting Right Tackle, Jeremy Parnell, is also injured. They've started Corey Robinson in his place, a 2015 7th round draft pick who has started 8 games for the Lions over the past three years and graded out poorly during that stead.
  • Starting LG, Andrew Norwell, has also been out all year. Chris Reed, a 2015 UDFA and practice squad promotee, has mostly filled that void. Not a good run blocker.
  • A.J. Cann, their starting RG, is the only healthy OL starter.
  • The team fired it's offensive coordinator, and benched their starting QB. The team is undoubtedly running a simpler offensive scheme to compensate for these items.
So, the OL has gotten worse and the offensive scheme has likely been simplified to some degree, and yet Fournette is performing better than my expected 2.5 to 3.0 YPC. He was ejected in a game where he was running roughshod over his opponents, and was benched in another since the team is out of contention and wanted to get touches for one of their newer guys.

I get it, it was a BRUTAL season if you drafted him as your #1 (I certainly did), but I think the fact remains he's a very talented, albeit injury prone, runner. His situation is likely to improve next year (Jags should figure out QB in the offseason, and their very solid starting OL should get healthy), and I think he's going to be a great value pick next year because of this disappointing season.

Even if I agreed that Fournette merited such special attention as to be limited for the sake of self preservation that entire premise/excuse is thrown out the window when they subjected him to kickoff returns. I even wondered at first if they might want to try and trade him this offseason so would not want him to get hurt but again that theory got trashed when they put him as the kickoff returner.

Extremely curious and difficult decision to defend especially considering the psyche of the team. You got a frustrated defense which seems to quit some weeks, sure looked like they quit last week, and one of the reasons for their frustration is the inept offense. With a few weeks to go and a situation where Marrone should be fighting for his job he instead delivers a message to the defense and the team that winning right now is not that important.

My best guess is there is more to the story here because this makes little sense. Was Marrone on board with Fournette at pick 4 or was that a Coughlin move?  You had the report last week about Coughlin maybe taking over as HC next year, is this Marrone's way of giving TC a big FU in the way out the door?

As for Fournette's prospects I can't see him being in first round next year but I would agree he can be solid mid to late second round value. But afraid to say, if like me you took him at 1.1  or 1.2 in your dynasty draft two years ago over players you likely were considering like CMC or Mixon, you lost that call. 
I didn't realize he was on there for the kick off.  I read the last handful of replies and jumped in. 

You're right.  Beyond bizarre and absurd. 

I can imagine dynasty players being beyond frustrated and maybe you can strike while the iron is hot/cold depending on how you look at it.  But there's a lot of concerns going into 2019.

Why are we characterizing this necessarily as him being "subjected" to kickoff returns?  I have no special insight here but I think it's far more likely they were grasping for a spark in a close game where the offense was doing absolutely nothing and their only big play of the day was a special teams touchdown.

Why are we characterizing this necessarily as him being "subjected" to kickoff returns?  I have no special insight here but I think it's far more likely they were grasping for a spark in a close game where the offense was doing absolutely nothing and their only big play of the day was a special teams touchdown.
Because while they were having him return kicks, they were also busy giving him exactly ONE carry in the 2nd half.

Which of course was a 25 yard run. Can't have that.

I'm not necessarily understanding the logic here. I feel like there is a lot of frustration from a fantasy perspective blowing this scenario out of proportion

If the NY Giants had given Lauletta the 2nd half this week, people would have said, "well, they're seeing what they got in Lauletta before they head into the off season and draft."

Anyone ever think that Fournette may be considered for off season trade talks? Jacksonville has to be disappointed so far in their investment from an on the field and off the field standpoint. Maybe they're seeing what they have before the head into the off season? They have Hyde making a lot and could re-sign Yeldon who has been more effective in the passing game. 

Or if he is completely off the table, why is it so bad for Jacksonville to rest their injury prone running back when they have nothing to play for? Maybe they are evaluating talent to hold over for next year? It's no different than OBJ potentially going on IR with a quad strain, or Rodgers going on IR last year out of the blue after the Packers had no shot. 

As a Bills fan, I think the most likely answer with the benching is Marrone getting his panties in a bunch over something.  Second most likely was the Jaguars suddenly deciding a high draft pick looked like a great idea.

I have little doubt that Fournette mouthed off at some point, and quite possibly deserved the benching.  Marrone may also be trying to out-Coughlin Coughlin as an attempt to save his job.  If I was the Jags I'd fire Marrone right now after the way the team is quitting on him.

No way I'd consider Fournette in the first round and probably not the second, after the string of injuries this year.  But as the higher value guys go off the board, at some point, yes I would definitely consider drafting him again.

That is a really strange take to me.  They drafted him 4th overall and he had one carry for 25 yards in the second half. So grasping for a spark they decided to no longer give him the ball at RB but instead make him the kickoff returner.  That makes no sense.

"Leonard Fournette going on injury report this week (foot)."

John Reid Verified account

@JohnReid64

Jaguars beat reporter for Florida Times Union. Formerly worked at the New Orleans Times Picayune, Fort Myers (Fla.) News-Press, Monroe (La.) News-Star.

So for us poor souls stuck in leagues that play week 17, any reason to continue rostering him these last 2 weeks?  Terrible offense, team quitting, inconsistent usage, bad attitude, and now injury.  Need roster spots since week 17 is such a crap shoot.

Thomas The Skank Engine said:
So for us poor souls stuck in leagues that play week 17, any reason to continue rostering him these last 2 weeks?  Terrible offense, team quitting, inconsistent usage, bad attitude, and now injury.  Need roster spots since week 17 is such a crap shoot.
I'd only do that if you are absolutely, 100% sure than your opponent won't end up playing him against you.

Which is pretty unlikely, so I'd hang on to him if you can. How you gonna feel if you drop him and he goes off for 120/2 this weekend? Entirely possible.

I'd only do that if you are absolutely, 100% sure than your opponent won't end up playing him against you.

Which is pretty unlikely, so I'd hang on to him if you can. How you gonna feel if you drop him and he goes off for 120/2 this weekend? Entirely possible.
Think this is actually an awesome trap. Debating dropping him this week so my opponent picks him up and uses him against me this week.

Is it really very possible?  I'm more worried about him picking up Robert Foster and him going off for 100/2 against me.

Think this is actually an awesome trap. Debating dropping him this week so my opponent picks him up and uses him against me this week.

Right.  My opponent has Kamara, Coleman, and Michel.  If he wants to start Lenny that's ok with me.
Hey, if you have the stones for it, go for the gold!

Fournette, while horrible the past two weeks, scored 27, 22, and 25 points in his first 3 games since coming back from injury in my PPR league.

No way in hell I'm putting a RB who can score like that on waivers for championship week.

Users who are viewing this thread