What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official* - Jeremy Langford (1 Viewer)

Matt Forte | CHI

(November 26, 2015 10:37 AM EST)

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said Matt Forte (knee) will be the "starter in name only" the rest of the season.

Rapoport said the plan is to have a "two-headed monster" with Forte and impressive rookie Jeremy Langford, who Rapoport said is viewed as the "not just the future but the present" because of his explosiveness. This was always a concern considering how well Langford played and that Forte is a free agent following the season, but it is not as if Forte will disappear from the offense entirely. The veteran should get enough work to remain in the RB2 conversation the rest of the way.

That said, as a Forte owner I have no problem seeing him get some competent relief - if Langford can show he isn't a 2 game wonder. I think that is going to help his productivity ROS.

Last edited by a moderator:
That said, as a Forte owner I have no problem seeing him get some competent relief - if Langford can show he isn't a 2 game wonder. I think that is going to help his productivity ROS.

Certainly a glass half full approach, but a big part of Forte's value over time is his sizable workload in all situations regardless of the game score.

No matter how you slice it, it's a big blow to Forte's ROS value even if he's healthy.

As predicted, Looks like a full blown timeshare. Neither looked fantastic tonight, but soaking wet field couldn't have helped.

Quit passing to the guy
He'll never learn otherwise. He needs work in this area but he has the skill set to be an impact player in the passing game. If they have Jeffrey, White, Langford on the field at the same time, This might be a top 5 offense. Forte is the man, but even tonight Langford looked to be the better back.

So pissed at myself for trading this cat a few weeks ago for Ivory. Needed help this year and didn't thinkLangford would be useful for more than a week or two.

But I can at least comfort myself knowing I got him for a third rounder ;)

Quit passing to the guy
I saw the one bad drop where he was crossing the field. Didn't use his hands and ball hit off his back shoulder. Did he have another bad drop besides that?
Yes. One hit off his hands in traffic and went up in the air and was almost intercepted.
Which is strange because he's had a few bad drops this year, but known as a good receiver. Likely concentration related than bad hands.

Yeah, he needs to figure it out. One drop lost a game for them and the other 2 could've done the same. I'm fine with giving him the hard runs but have to keep Forte in there to catch passes. Broncos and Pack really keyed on stopping the screens.

Rotoworld:

Bears OC Adam Gase indicated Friday he intends to maintain a near-even touch split between Matt Forte and Jeremy Langford.

Forte played 37 of the Bears' offensive snaps in their Thanksgiving win at Lambeau, while Langford handled 30 downs. "We can keep them fresh and we should only get better from here on out and those guys will get in the flow of it," Gase said. Forte sounded fine with his reduced work: "I was fresh pretty much the (whole) game." Forte will be an RB2 play Sunday against the 49ers. Langford will be a mid-range to high-end flex.

Source: Chicago Tribune

Dec 4 - 11:33 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Bears reporter Jeff Dickerson reports Jeremy Langford will continue to split carries with Matt Forte.

Dickerson said Forte is "still the lead guy," but the Bears are not going to sit "the future" at running back. Forte admitted Friday he is likely headed to free agency, so it make sense for the Bears to get Langford as much work as possible down the stretch. Langford will remain a high-end RB3 even with Forte healthy.

Source: ESPN

Dec 5 - 11:01 AM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000594394/article/matt-forte-bears-have-not-offered-me-a-contract

• By Chris Wesseling
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Dec. 4, 2015 at 08:08 p.m
Matt Forte: Bears have not offered me a contract

Impending free agent Matt Forte recently acknowledged that the 2015 season could be his final onewith the Chicago Bears.

Appearing on Friday's edition of NFL Total Access, Forte emphasized that his priority is to stay in Chicago, but he's prepared to "move on" if the Bears don't offer him a new contract.

"There's nothing I can do, really, except play football," Forte said. "The decision on whether I stay or whether I go is not really up to me. It's whether I get offered a contract extension, which I haven't been offered one and doesn't really look like it (will happen).

"If not, I go into free agency. So I'm pretty much satisfied with either way it goes."

Accounting for 32.0 percent of the Bears' offense, Forte was enjoying an excellent season prior to his early November MCL sprain. Still, he's right to wonder if he will be back in Chicago next year.

With a new regime in town, Forte was one of several veterans theBears were willing to discuss leading up to the trade deadline, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported in late October.

The emergence of rookie Jeremy Langford as a viable dual-purpose successor will leave the Bearsreluctant to pay top dollar for a 30-year-old running back approaching his decline phase.

If Forte reaches the open market, it will be interesting to see if Ravens offensive coordinator Marc Trestman -- formerly the head coach in Chicago -- campaigns to bring him to Baltimore.

Forte. 'Not much hope' he will get an extension with the Bears.

http://pro32.ap.org/article/matt-forte-losing-hope-bears-might-make-offer

LAKE FOREST, Ill. (AP) — Running back Matt Forte just wants a little respect from the Chicago Bears — to go with another contract.

Forte on Wednesday said he still wants to return to the team next year for a ninth season at age 30 even though past attempts to get management interested have failed.

"I mean, I want to return," Forte said. "But if you're saying am I hopeful that I do return? There's not much to hope for right now because like I've said, I talked to (general manager Ryan Pace) earlier and they haven't said anything back.

"So there's nothing really to hope for."

Forte said when his agent spoke to Pace, he was told talent evaluations needed to be made first. Pace is in his first year as GM.

"Kind of politically correct type deal," Forte labeled Pace's comment. "I would respect it more if it was just like, 'Look we're not going to re-sign you,' or anything like that because then I would know.

"I don't really harp too much on it. I play ball every Sunday as hard as I can and then I worry about that when free agency and all that stuff comes about."

Forte has gained 768 yards on 190 carries while catching 38 passes fo 332 yards. He missed three games due to a knee injury, and has split time this season with Jeremy Langford and sometimes Ka'Deem Carey.

Forte called the Bears' initial lack of interest understandable because of the team's coaching and general manager switch. However, when he got off to a fast start he expected to be approached about the topic.

"After the first seven games I think I was top three in rushing and stuff, and still producing," Forte said. "But you look at that and you're like, 'ok, you guys?' But, um, still nothing came from that."

Forte said he's not expecting to break the bank.

"At this point I'm not worried about earning power and all that stuff," Forte said. "I've made money as a football player and it's not about that to me."

He said he told Pace this in the offseason.

"I kind of went to them and was like, 'I have a high cap number, why not, let's do something now where it's reasonable and it's a good amount where I'll get to retire a Bear.' Everybody's happy," Forte said.

"But I'm not looking for a huge contract deal like I did coming out with my second contract because I know I turned 30. And you know, most 30-year-old running backs don't get those type of deals like I did the second time."

Forte said he wanted to be respected with a new deal.

"You know, not obviously playing at league minimum or anything like that, but obviously respectful," he said. "But at the same time, I always look at staying home and being here where I've been the past eight years. That's a major factor.

"Teammates I've grown around and they know me and I know them and I've been able to even mentor some of the younger guys. And I also like the legacy part and continuing on with that fact."

___

I hope he ends up landing in a good situation (New England, Dallas, etc). He seems like a real class act and I think he has 2 or 3 good years left.

Langford looked pretty good running the ball and the future seems to be now.

That said, for dynasty have to be concerned that he is less involved in the passing game in recent weeks and that Fox also seems to like using Carey at the goal line.

Rotoworld:

Jeremy Langford collected 83 yards on 19 carries and was targeted twice without a catch in the Bears' Week 16 win over the Buccaneers.

The 19 touches represented Langford’s largest workload since Week 10. He could have had an even bigger day if Da’Keem Carey hadn’t vultured two of his touchdowns. The rookie has now out-touched perennial Pro Bowler Matt Forte in three straight games. With Forte likely to leave in free agency, Langford would seem to have the inside track for the starting job next year. Look for him to have another solid game next week against the Lions.

Dec 27 - 5:52 PM

That said, for dynasty have to be concerned that he is less involved in the passing game in recent weeks and that Fox also seems to like using Carey at the goal line.
Not concerned at all... Forte himself is one of the few backs that dominated touches for his team and that has practically disappeared from the league. Langford is involved enough to be valuable and, to be honest, a few less touches couldn't hurt from a health perspective.

Not concerned at all... Forte himself is one of the few backs that dominated touches for his team and that has practically disappeared from the league. Langford is involved enough to be valuable and, to be honest, a few less touches couldn't hurt from a health perspective.
Langford could be a great fantasy back, especially in PPR. But if the end up appeasing Carey by giving him the goal line touchdowns, it takes Langford from a RB1 to a RB2

Looks like Forte will hit free agency.

Mike Reiss speculates Forte and the Patriots could be a good fit.

---------------

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4790436/broncos-super-bowl-win-sets-up-possibility-of-2016-season-opener-vs-patriots?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

...As much as any team in the NFL, the Patriots value pass-catching ability from their running backs, and one of the league’s best in that area, Matt Forte, is scheduled to become a free agent this offseason. On Friday, Forte said on NFL Network, “It’s not even about the money. I want to be in Super Bowls.” At the very least, the running back-needy Patriots figure to explore the possibility as Forte, who turned 30 on Dec. 10, could be a multi-purpose weapon in the team’s offense while also not having to be the workhorse he once was in Chicago.

Forte will not be resigned by Chicago.

----------------------------------------------

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBsN17qp4Xl/

mforte22Despite my wishes, my days as a member of the Chicago Bears have sadly come to an end. I was informed earlier this week from the GM that they will not be attempting to re-sign me in free agency.
Anyone who bought Langford last year knew Forte would be the starter. The hope was Jeremy would pay off at some point in the future but appears now he will get the opportunity to be the starting running back for Chicago.

Forte is gone, Cutler is a wild card, then factor in Kevin White and a healthy Alshon Jeffrey, before adding in Langford. Lots of moving parts.

Right now, it looks like Jeremy Langford is the #1 RB for the Bears so that leads to the obvious question.

Assuming he starts, what projected numbers can we reasonably expect from Jeremy Langford?

tangfoot said:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
tangfoot said:
Bracie Smathers said:
Assuming he starts
I'm not making that assumption.
Why you like carey? Or think chicago addresses the position elsewhere
Both. Langford is my poster child for unrealistic 2016 assumptions based on a very small sample size in 2015.
Assuming he'll start is not unrealistic though. He started over Carey last season and it's unlikely that the Bears are going to use an early pick or spend big money in free agency on the RB position.

It's not a given that he starts, but it's certainly a realistic stance to take.

tangfoot said:
tangfoot said:
Bracie Smathers said:
Assuming he starts
Both. Langford is my poster child for unrealistic 2016 assumptions based on a very small sample size in 2015.
Unrealistic assumptions?

The only projections do not assume unrealistic production for Langford in 2016.

http://espn.go.com/fantasy/football/story/_/id/14765088/matthew-berry-very-early-2016-fantasy-football-rankings-nfl

2016 Running Back Rankings

36. Jeremy Langford CHI -------

That is why I asked about projections for Langford because I do assume he will start and I don't think that assumption is unrealistic.

Assuming Carey will start is unrealistic IMHO.

tangfoot said:
tangfoot said:
Bracie Smathers said:
Assuming he starts
Unrealistic assumptions?

The only projections do not assume unrealistic production for Langford in 2016.

http://espn.go.com/fantasy/football/story/_/id/14765088/matthew-berry-very-early-2016-fantasy-football-rankings-nfl

2016 Running Back Rankings

36. Jeremy Langford CHI-------

That is why I asked about projections for Langford because I do assume he will start and I don't think that assumption is unrealistic.

Assuming Carey will start is unrealistic IMHO.
Between now and the draft, expectations of Langford are going to get very unrealistic.

Here's a fun one...

Right now, before we learn where he ends up, do you project Langford ahead of Forte or not?

Langford will be at the very least a solid #2 if he gets 240 touches which is reasonable. No need to overrate the guy, but don't discount. PPR goodie.

http://bearswire.usatoday.com/2016/03/03/chicago-bears-appear-ready-for-post-forte-era/

Both Langford and Carey were drafted by the Bears in the fourth round; Langford was the 106th pick overall last year while Carey was the 116th pick overall the year before.  In terms of team investment, both running backs entered the league with similar value.

In 2015, Langford carried the ball 148 times for 537 yards (3.6 ypc) and 6 TDs, adding 22 receptions for 229 yards and a score.  Carey had 43 carries for 159 yards (3.7 ypc) and 2 TDs to go along with 3 receptions for 19 yards. 

While their stats appear similar on a per-touch basis, it’s Langford who is expected to have a much larger role next year.  The reason why is simple:  juice.

Langford proved that he is a one-touch talent; he can score at any time from any place on the field.  Carey is not nearly as quick or explosive, instead relying on natural running instincts and churning pistons for legs; and while Carey’s instincts are certainly a plus, his lacking athletic traits render him tailor-made to be a change-of-pace short-yardage runner.

At times last season, Langford didn’t look ready.  He ran without much of a natural feel, banging into the back of his offensive linemen without the patience or vision required to let the play develop.  That’s due — in part — to his limited time at the position; he entered the NFL with 579 college carries after being converted from defensive back and wide receiver in East Lansing.

... Despite his relative inexperience, Langford offers more versatility to the offense.  He has a chance to become one of the NFL’s best pass-catching running backs and will give new offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains a true three-down running back to utilize in the offense’s game planning.  He’s also a tough and physical player in pass protection who, at times, played like a veteran when taking on blitzing linebackers in 2015.  Carey, despite his experience, seems a bit behind Langford in that department.  

Saw this blurb on Rotoworld. The Bears were rumored to be one of the teams interested in Anderson, and if this report is true, it has to throw some question in how much Fox and Co. are firmly set on Langford to be the workhorse. If not Anderson, Carey (or perhaps another signee/draft pick) may be getting a bigger piece of the pie than expected.

The Dolphins' offer sheet to restricted free agent C.J. Anderson contains a signing bonus of $5.25 million that must be paid by March 31.
Including bonuses and salary, Anderson's first-year pay will be $6 million, tying DeMarco Murray for the NFL's third highest 2016 total payments among running backs, behind only Adrian Peterson ($11 million) and Doug Martin ($8 million). Klis reports the Bears offered Anderson a four-year, $19 million deal -- more than Miami's four-year, $18 offer -- but Anderson preferred the familiarity of new Dolphins coach Adam Gase's offense. The Dolphins intentionally frontloaded Anderson's offer sheet in order to make it more difficult for the Broncos to match. Denver has until Tuesday at 4pm ET to make a decision.

Saw this blurb on Rotoworld. The Bears were rumored to be one of the teams interested in Anderson, and if this report is true, it has to throw some question in how much Fox and Co. are firmly set on Langford to be the workhorse. If not Anderson, Carey (or perhaps another signee/draft pick) may be getting a bigger piece of the pie than expected.

The Dolphins' offer sheet to restricted free agent C.J. Anderson contains a signing bonus of $5.25 million that must be paid by March 31.
Including bonuses and salary, Anderson's first-year pay will be $6 million, tying DeMarco Murray for the NFL's third highest 2016 total payments among running backs, behind only Adrian Peterson ($11 million) and Doug Martin ($8 million). Klis reports the Bears offered Anderson a four-year, $19 million deal -- more than Miami's four-year, $18 offer -- but Anderson preferred the familiarity of new Dolphins coach Adam Gase's offense. The Dolphins intentionally frontloaded Anderson's offer sheet in order to make it more difficult for the Broncos to match. Denver has until Tuesday at 4pm ET to make a decision.
Yeah but Fox has shown overt favoritism and loyalty to his veteran players over rookies and young unproven guys like Jeremy Langford and he had CJ in Denver and knows him and his game.  I'm sure he does like him and that if Chicago could have landed him without using a draft pick that it makes a lot of sense that they would love to have had CJ but I don't know it means they are eager to rid themselves of Langford or that they will take a RB high in the draft.

I just think John Fox likes CJ Anderson and would have loved to have him over an unproven duo at RB that he currently has.  They made a really good offer and it makes sense but they weren't going after any other veteran RBs who didn't have a John Fox connection.

Users who are viewing this thread