What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Official Kicker (K) Thread (5 Viewers)

I guess the question is, how much of Zuerlein's success was tied to the Rams' offense and how much to his accuracy/distance?
That's a good point. I initially thought of their replacement kicker but I don't want an unknown in my championship game. As far as Elliot goes, he's a kicker on a good offense. Dawson has shown to be used a lot over the last 2 weeks and NYG are ranked 25th vs kickers this year. He also is kicking in a dome so weather isn't an issue.

Legatron to IR just after our first waiver process. Almost nothing to pick from for Championship FML!

Whats left

Catanzaro, Lambo, Rose, Dawson, McManus, Fairbairn, Tavecchio, Parkey, Murray, Rosas, Bullock, Hopkins.......

BRUTAL!
Sucks losing the Leg so late but I wouldn't say what's left is brutal. Lambo would be my choice (on a good team and Niners give up FG attempts) of those guys followed by Dawson (for reasons someone mentioned above).

We won't know till new guy kicks, but do you really want to hang your FF title on that?
My point exactly. We all remember what a great story Koo was at the beginning of the season, but dude just couldn't hack it in clutch situations. On the other hand, Elliott came in his first game and hit a 61yd game winner. Too much of a crapshoot.

I guess the question is, how much of Zuerlein's success was tied to the Rams' offense and how much to his accuracy/distance?
It’s both, right?

With two games to go the Rams have had twice as many PATs as the entire previous year. Zuerlein was always a mediocre FF K because he never had many FGA & wasn’t particularly accurate. Previous career high was 30 FGA - this year he has 40 - and he’s nailed 95%. His career accuracy was 79.4% in his first 5 seasons.

I think most people think about Ks the way I do; regardless of conditions, NFL kickers shouldn’t miss inside 40. Legatron has mostly met that criteria:

9/11

17/17

17/20

12/13

14/14

20/21

I didn’t watch the Rams a lot in the Fisher era but I often thought they asked him to attempt unrealistic FGAs. From 40+:

14/20 (7/13 from 50+)

9/11

7/10

8/17 (3/9 from 50+)

5/8

18/19

Shame he got hurt, he’s had a phenomenal year.

ANYWAY, no, I wouldn’t start the former Penn State kicker because it’s been 3 years since he kicked a FG in game conditions, and he’s never kicked in the NFL regular season.

First - I'm not in my championship game  :cry: :pokey:   :ptts: ;)

Second - thanks for the feedback on Legatron's replacement.  I didn't realize they signed a guy with so little recent experience.  Leaning towards P. Dawson now.

First - I'm not in my championship game  :cry: :pokey:   :ptts: ;)

Second - thanks for the feedback on Legatron's replacement.  I didn't realize they signed a guy with so little recent experience.  Leaning towards P. Dawson now.
rt sports article said they brought in 10-12 kickers and he was the best of the bunch. Its not like they are a lousy team just playing out the string.  Im still leaning  starting Elliott but I picked them both up and havent totally decided.  Part of my hesitation about Elliott (which I realize isnt here nor there)  is I had him earlier in the year and  got very y little out of him,  This  all around situation SCREAMS big game (as long as the kid can kick as well as he did in tryouts to beat out so many others for the gig)  I swear Im leaning  Fricken  over Elliott. 

rt sports article said they brought in 10-12 kickers and he was the best of the bunch. Its not like they are a lousy team just playing out the string.  Im still leaning  starting Elliott but I picked them both up and havent totally decided.  Part of my hesitation about Elliott (which I realize isnt here nor there)  is I had him earlier in the year and  got very y little out of him,  This  all around situation SCREAMS big game (as long as the kid can kick as well as he did in tryouts to beat out so many others for the gig)  I swear Im leaning  Fricken  over Elliott. 
Every kicker who gets an NFL job beats out someone else. It's not like they just go with the GM's nephew's best friend's cousin because he happened to be free that afternoon.

Still a big difference between kicking well in a tryout held in an empty stadium vs. doing it in a live game with 60K screaming fans.

Look, Ficken could be fine. He probably will be. I just think it's an unacceptable level of risk in a championship game. YMMV.

Tool said:
What about Bailey? Cowboys should score points/ move ball with Zeke back
My thoughts exactly. Before the injury Bailey was money and a top K. Now it seems folks are a tad gun shy? A miss here or there and it's what have you done for me lately.

zftcg said:
Every kicker who gets an NFL job beats out someone else. It's not like they just go with the GM's nephew's best friend's cousin because he happened to be free that afternoon.

Still a big difference between kicking well in a tryout held in an empty stadium vs. doing it in a live game with 60K screaming fans.

Look, Ficken could be fine. He probably will be. I just think it's an unacceptable level of risk in a championship game. YMMV.
It goes without saying every kicker beats out someone for the job.  I  have never heard of a team bringing in 10-12 to try out for the job before which suggests to me this kid had a VERY impressive tryout.  Why would a team go with a complete unknown otherwise? I agree its completely different than a tryout I just find it odd that a team in the heat of a playoff run  would pick a complete unknown without the kid being pretty good.  Will be interesting to see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could also mean more TDs and fewer FGs.  :shrug:
It could mean Vegas are predicting more TD's than FG's? I see plenty of opportunities in this game as DAL will move the ball. ZEKE is the key and Dak plays better with him in the line up as well. SEA has been exposed defensively and no longer bring intimidation. Both fighting for their playoff lives. Vegas sees it 26 - 21 DAL. So 27 out of DAL makes sense. Hence, Bailey good for 9 points. Crazy picking and hitting on FG kickers!

It could mean Vegas are predicting more TD's than FG's? I see plenty of opportunities in this game as DAL will move the ball. ZEKE is the key and Dak plays better with him in the line up as well. SEA has been exposed defensively and no longer bring intimidation. Both fighting for their playoff lives. Vegas sees it 26 - 21 DAL. So 27 out of DAL makes sense. Hence, Bailey good for 9 points. Crazy picking and hitting on FG kickers!
I’m not sure Seattle is capable of generating 21 points against a fired up playing for their lives Dallas team at home after the thumping they just too in Seattle to the Rams.

they looked like a team that quit. Their OL is shot and they can’t run the ball. Oh yeah and the defense is Swiss cheese. 

I would be less surprised to see DAL 31 SEA 13

:shrug:

I’m not sure Seattle is capable of generating 21 points against a fired up playing for their lives Dallas team at home after the thumping they just too in Seattle to the Rams.

they looked like a team that quit. Their OL is shot and they can’t run the ball. Oh yeah and the defense is Swiss cheese. 

I would be less surprised to see DAL 31 SEA 13

:shrug:
I'll split the difference - DAL 30 SEA 20 and Bailey gets 12.

Right now going with Gould after losing Zuerlein, but could go with Forbath or Ficken. Keep going back and forth whether I want to take the risk for the upside or go with the safer play in Gould. However he has Jax which is a little worriesome. Ugghhhh my head is about to explode 

Thought about putting in Gano over Bryant but gonna roll with the ageless one since he got me there in like 3 leagues. 
Debating that as well, throw in Butker in the mix. So far I have Bryant in. Can ATL keep up with the TD barrage? Last time they played the game kinda sucked - no fireworks. Kamara back and let the show begin. Bryant, Gano, or Butker seems to be my choices. I like CAR to put up 30 points, can't say that for ATL or KC necessarily?

Debating that as well, throw in Butker in the mix. So far I have Bryant in. Can ATL keep up with the TD barrage? Last time they played the game kinda sucked - no fireworks. Kamara back and let the show begin. Bryant, Gano, or Butker seems to be my choices. I like CAR to put up 30 points, can't say that for ATL or KC necessarily?
I’d go butker if those three. 

I’d go butker if those three. 
Kinda feeling that myself. We do get extra for 50 + yarders. Butker 4 for 5 from 50 plus and 31 of 34 total, and PAT perfect 23 for 23.

Bryant 27 for 32, long of 57 and 7 of 8 from 50 +. Gano accurate under 50 - doesn't get too many 50 + chances. I like CAR to score 30 today.

Weather vs. Dome

KInda going contrarian with the Kicker this week. Low rated, recent injury Dan Bailey. I see winds of 15-25 mph in Dallas. Wonder if the dome roof will be open or closed?

Anyway, I see DAL putting up 30 and Bailey getting 12. Almost went Butker, but weather tempered my expectations. 

Anyone concerned with the wind advisory in Phily affecting Elliot?
I am concerned about it and a little surprised there is not more chatter about it at this point. Maybe that's a sign I am being overly worried or maybe we'll see a whole lot of "OMFG...'ship on the line and WIND!!!" posts tomorrow :unsure:

I am concerned about it and a little surprised there is not more chatter about it at this point. Maybe that's a sign I am being overly worried or maybe we'll see a whole lot of "OMFG...'ship on the line and WIND!!!" posts tomorrow :unsure:
Initially I had him as the 5th best leg this week, but thinking about picking up Gano over him now. 

Don't know of another part of the game that's influenced more by big gusts of wind. 

I decided to give the Kid in LA the start over Elliott..... (yes for a championship)  I had all but convinced myself  before the wind issue came up in Philly.... 

I never went back and changed my kicker from ficken so I'm currently siting at -2 at the position :lol:  

Consolation game didn't pique my interest enough I guess :shrug:

Don’t know the yards yet but

tucker scores 9 and 11 = 20

gost scores 7 and 13 with 1 missed XP = 19

i had them combined for 39 pts. I’ll be off though due to the .1/1 just can’t find exact yardage right now for all the FGs

Don’t know the yards yet but

tucker scores 9 and 11 = 20

gost scores 7 and 13 with 1 missed XP = 19

i had them combined for 39 pts. I’ll be off though due to the .1/1 just can’t find exact yardage right now for all the FGs
You're at 44.2 (10.4/12.5 for Tucker, 7.8/13.5 for Gost).  The decimals really add up (or down).

I decided to give the Kid in LA the start over Elliott..... (yes for a championship)  I had all but convinced myself  before the wind issue came up in Philly.... 
Did any of our hand wringing matter? I  feel like every kicker missed an XP this week.

Did any of our hand wringing matter? I  feel like every kicker missed an XP this week.
Not a bit lol   I made the wrong choice in every place I had decissions to make....and STILL won the championship when the other team  that finished first in the league had his lowest score of the year.  Sometimes dumb luck wins out !!!

Not a bit lol   I made the wrong choice in every place I had decissions to make....and STILL won the championship when the other team  that finished first in the league had his lowest score of the year.  Sometimes dumb luck wins out !!!
Just looked up my league's scoring (standard, negative points for missed XPs but not FGs). Top scorers were either studs who were likely owned (Butker, Bailey, Gostkowski, Lutz) or out-of-nowhere guys like Murray and Bullock. Of the FA names I saw being bandied about here last week (Elliott, Dawson, Lambo, Ficken) none reached double digits.

Fwiw going from Coons to Gould and then Gould to Butker helped win a couple crowns. Sticking with Coons cost me a couple others maybe. Anyway the K position matters.

Fwiw going from Coons to Gould and then Gould to Butker helped win a couple crowns. Sticking with Coons cost me a couple others maybe. Anyway the K position matters.
It does and I dont understand why  some leagues have eliminated it.  The guy who won 1st place regular season in my home league had Legatron and Jacksonvillr D who carried him to the title.....Jax  barely scored and legatron gets hurt this week  and suddenly he puts up his lowest score of the year in the superbowl. 

I just dropped Butker to pickup the Patriot DST to block my opponent

Anyone worried with KC resting their starters that they won't be able to move the ball?

So...who won the hot sauce?  I know Elliott let me down (his missed FG would have put me within 2-3 pts), but did anyone else come close?

I had Forbath and Gano 39.7. If my calculations are correct, they scored 40, so a difference of .3. Is that good?

Who won? @Hot Sauce Guy
That's extremely good!

Was just coming in here to post that I'm back from vacation & will be taking a look at this today. 

I've got some orders to pack & some errands to run, but will get to it this afternoon - sorry for the delay folks!  

Users who are viewing this thread