Penguin

E.Washington WR Cooper Kupp

85 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, buck naked said:

I understand you disagree. You've made the same % arguments with McCaffrey. I play the %'s as well, but that does not eliminate that there exists a racist undertone to it. It is what it is. 

I just don't see how you can think there's more racism at play today than there was in the 60's and 70's. The game has simply changed into a faster more athletic game. It's not coincidence that there hasn't been a white corner in the league for twenty years, or that year in and year out 32 out of 32 starting RBs are black. There's no racism in that, they are simply the best players, but we will have to agree to disagree.

So back to Kupp. With the info we have right now (pre combine), where do you feel comfortable drafting him? He's 23, dominating small school talent. That bumps him down a bit. I'm thinking late 2 early 3 at this point. 

1 hour ago, petekrum said:

I just don't see how you can think there's more racism at play today than there was in the 60's and 70's. The game has simply changed into a faster more athletic game. It's not coincidence that there hasn't been a white corner in the league for twenty years, or that year in and year out 32 out of 32 starting RBs are black. There's no racism in that, they are simply the best players, but we will have to agree to disagree.

The racism would be in assuming that the current mix of white to black players at a position automatically means (or even impacts) that the next crop of white and black players will conform to that ratio.  That would be assigning characteristics of a class to individuals without regard for their individual quality, which sounds rather definitionally like racism.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Arodin said:

The racism would be in assuming that the current mix of white to black players at a position automatically means (or even impacts) that the next crop of white and black players will conform to that ratio.  That would be assigning characteristics of a class to individuals without regard for their individual quality, which sounds rather definitionally like racism.

This was what I was trying to get at. I feel there's an element of racism (intended or not) to base decisions on race rather than the numbers and what you see on tape.

Snorkelson makes a good point in that Kupp is playing against all school talent and is a little older than normal at 23. Does anyone have any comparative cases and how they went on to perform in the NFL?

4 hours ago, Snorkelson said:

So back to Kupp. With the info we have right now (pre combine), where do you feel comfortable drafting him? He's 23, dominating small school talent. That bumps him down a bit. I'm thinking late 2 early 3 at this point. 

I agree, probably early to mid third.

Nine more yards and four fewer tds than his freshman season. He's been dominant from a very early age. I dont know where i fall on him but i do know that him being 23 wont matter a damn bit with my evals.

10 hours ago, Soap said:

Snorkelson makes a good point in that Kupp is playing against all school talent and is a little older than normal at 23. Does anyone have any comparative cases and how they went on to perform in the NFL?

Terrell Owens was first guy to come to mind and minute after I posted thus I realized I forgot the GOAT.

Edited by menobrown

NFL Media's Mike Mayock says Eastern Washington WR Cooper Kupp is "going to play and play well very early in his NFL career."

"He's fast," Mayock, reporting from the Senior Bowl, said. "He won deep, he won shallow, he beat press coverage. He can win at all three levels. And he gets it." One of college football's most productive receivers over the past few years, Kupp had 117 catches for 1,700 yards and 17 touchdowns last season. He lit up the two Pac-12 teams he faced at EWU for 22 catches and six touchdowns.

Source: NFL.com 
Jan 25 - 3:29 PM

My man crush, sucks he's getting so much attention now.

14 minutes ago, Penguin said:

My man crush, sucks he's getting so much attention now.

Yep, if he's around late 1st (ff) you pretty much have to take him. Still don't see him along the top 6 but I could be wrong. 

On 1/21/2017 at 11:56 AM, Arodin said:

Is it racist of me that I thought "if the patriots draft him I'm definitely taking him" ?

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, FUBAR said:

Is it racist of me that I thought "if the patriots draft him I'm definitely taking him" ?

Don't think so.  And the Pats are smart by using the built in bias to lean away from white skill players.  Danny Woodhead, Wes Welker, Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman, ETC. I wouldn't be surprised if they took Kupp and/or McCaffrey and used them to dominate for 4 more years.

47 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they took Kupp and/or McCaffrey and used them to dominate for 4 more years.

Petekrum may go into involuntary convulsions if he reads this sentence.

1 person likes this

Kupp moving up in anyone's book? Early 2? Seems like someone will reach for him if he runs 4.5 range.....

4 hours ago, steelers1080 said:

Don't think so.  And the Pats are smart by using the built in bias to lean away from white skill players.  Danny Woodhead, Wes Welker, Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman, ETC. I wouldn't be surprised if they took Kupp and/or McCaffrey and used them to dominate for 4 more years.

He would be amazing on the Pats, but they only drafted 1 of the 5 guys you mentioned. 

4 hours ago, buck naked said:

Petekrum may go into involuntary convulsions if he reads this sentence.

Lmao😜 You know me to well.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, petekrum said:

Lmao😜 You know me to well.

I relate better to ill people also.

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline writes that Eastern Washington WR Cooper Kupp "[caught] everything thrown his way" during Wednesday's Senior Bowl practice.

"He ran sharp routes to create separation and showed excellent reaction time on short passes thrown outside his body," notes Pauline. "Kupp was consistently in position to make catches after exiting his route breaks and had an overall excellent showing." The analyst grades him as a potential second-round pick this spring. He's not alone in taking note of Kupp's work during the Senior Bowl practice week, as NFL Media's Mike Mayock has been similarly impressed. Mayock believes Kupp will find success early on in his NFL career.

Source: Draft Analyst 
Jan 26 - 5:23 PM

play the grizzlies made him stronger. :thumbup:

so, where dose one target him in dyno?

im willing to reach. :yes:

No more reaching for this guy,  He'll go late 1st early 2nd on hype alone

I want to see him play more, getting news about practice isn't enough.

Tex

1 person likes this

On January 26, 2017 at 7:15 AM, FUBAR said:

Yep, if he's around late 1st (ff) you pretty much have to take him. Still don't see him along the top 6 but I could be wrong. 

You're not.

Finished my top20 rookie rankings yesterday and hey cane in at 13.  I did that with the assumption he was a mid-late 2nd round pick in the draft so he could easily move up for me if he goes earlier.

4 hours ago, Zyphros said:

Finished my top20 rookie rankings yesterday and hey cane in at 13.  I did that with the assumption he was a mid-late 2nd round pick in the draft so he could easily move up for me if he goes earlier.

Wr5? Williams/Davis/ross/juju/Kupp?

8 hours ago, Snorkelson said:

Wr5? Williams/Davis/ross/juju/Kupp?

Actually have Dede instead of Ross but yeah.  In fairness I haven't watched a ton of Ross yet though, just enough to get a decent grasp on my view.  

I like what I see from Kupp and he's been consistent since his Freshman year. BUT, he was 20 his Freshman year and is 23 now (will be 24 when the season begins). As a comparison, another player who has dominated, Christian McCaffrey, was 20 for his junior season this past year. He was 19 when he broke Barry Sanders record. I guess I'm just a little leery of Kupp's age. It's not as impressive when you dominate but you're 3 years older than everyone else. That doesn't mean he can't be good at the next level. I'm cautiously optimistic. 

Eastern Washington WR Cooper Kupp ran a 4.62 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine.

After his stellar showing at the Senior Bowl, we heard buzz that Kupp could punch a ticket into Round 1 if he ran in the 4.4s in Indianapolis. In hindsight, that hope was a pipe dream. At 6-foot-2, 204 pounds, Kupp also turned in a mediocre 31-inch vertical and a 9-foot-8 broad jump. Kupp still has his fans across the NFL, but he's almost assuredly locked himself into Day 2 following Saturday's subpar showing.

Mar 4 - 3:25 PM

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline reports that "a lot of teams are not downgrading" Eastern Washington WR Cooper Kupp despite his poor showing in the 40-yard dash.

Kupp ran a 4.62 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine on Saturday. Measuring in at 6-foot-2, 204 pounds, Kupp also posted a mediocre 31-inch vertical and a 9-foot-8 broad jump. "Never known as a deep threat with vertical speed, one scouting consultant told me he’s still a terrific pass catcher who can create after the reception," Pauline wrote.

Source: Draft Analyst 
Mar 5 - 1:27 PM

On 1/21/2017 at 2:08 PM, Soap said:

This was what I was trying to get at. I feel there's an element of racism (intended or not) to base decisions on race rather than the numbers and what you see on tape.

I believe Garcon might be a good reference.  He was a man amongst boys at Mt Union.

1 hour ago, Bronco Billy said:

I believe Garcon might be a good reference.  He was a man amongst boys at Mt Union.

Garcon was athletically gifted, so not a good comp IMO.  Wille Snead is a better comp.  I think Kupp mentioning he'd love to play for the Saints translates he would like to play with a good QB who is accurate enough to throw into tight windows.  I have Kupp at WR12 and think he probably going late 3rd round early 4th.  I'll feel a lot better about him if he goes to a team with a good QB.

4 minutes ago, Nero said:

Garcon was athletically gifted, so not a good comp IMO.  Wille Snead is a better comp.  I think Kupp mentioning he'd love to play for the Saints translates he would like to play with a good QB who is accurate enough to throw into tight windows.  I have Kupp at WR12 and think he probably going late 3rd round early 4th.  I'll feel a lot better about him if he goes to a team with a good QB.

Good response