What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Cooper Kupp, LAR (2 Viewers)

The racism would be in assuming that the current mix of white to black players at a position automatically means (or even impacts) that the next crop of white and black players will conform to that ratio.  That would be assigning characteristics of a class to individuals without regard for their individual quality, which sounds rather definitionally like racism.
Is it racist of me that I thought "if the patriots draft him I'm definitely taking him" ?

Is it racist of me that I thought "if the patriots draft him I'm definitely taking him" ?
Don't think so.  And the Pats are smart by using the built in bias to lean away from white skill players.  Danny Woodhead, Wes Welker, Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman, ETC. I wouldn't be surprised if they took Kupp and/or McCaffrey and used them to dominate for 4 more years.

steelers1080 said:
Don't think so.  And the Pats are smart by using the built in bias to lean away from white skill players.  Danny Woodhead, Wes Welker, Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman, ETC. I wouldn't be surprised if they took Kupp and/or McCaffrey and used them to dominate for 4 more years.
He would be amazing on the Pats, but they only drafted 1 of the 5 guys you mentioned. 

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline writes that Eastern Washington WR Cooper Kupp "[caught] everything thrown his way" during Wednesday's Senior Bowl practice.
"He ran sharp routes to create separation and showed excellent reaction time on short passes thrown outside his body," notes Pauline. "Kupp was consistently in position to make catches after exiting his route breaks and had an overall excellent showing." The analyst grades him as a potential second-round pick this spring. He's not alone in taking note of Kupp's work during the Senior Bowl practice week, as NFL Media's Mike Mayock has been similarly impressed. Mayock believes Kupp will find success early on in his NFL career.

Source: Draft Analyst 
Jan 26 - 5:23 PM

Finished my top20 rookie rankings yesterday and hey cane in at 13.  I did that with the assumption he was a mid-late 2nd round pick in the draft so he could easily move up for me if he goes earlier.

Finished my top20 rookie rankings yesterday and hey cane in at 13.  I did that with the assumption he was a mid-late 2nd round pick in the draft so he could easily move up for me if he goes earlier.
Wr5? Williams/Davis/ross/juju/Kupp?

I like what I see from Kupp and he's been consistent since his Freshman year. BUT, he was 20 his Freshman year and is 23 now (will be 24 when the season begins). As a comparison, another player who has dominated, Christian McCaffrey, was 20 for his junior season this past year. He was 19 when he broke Barry Sanders record. I guess I'm just a little leery of Kupp's age. It's not as impressive when you dominate but you're 3 years older than everyone else. That doesn't mean he can't be good at the next level. I'm cautiously optimistic. 

Eastern Washington WR Cooper Kupp ran a 4.62 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine.
After his stellar showing at the Senior Bowl, we heard buzz that Kupp could punch a ticket into Round 1 if he ran in the 4.4s in Indianapolis. In hindsight, that hope was a pipe dream. At 6-foot-2, 204 pounds, Kupp also turned in a mediocre 31-inch vertical and a 9-foot-8 broad jump. Kupp still has his fans across the NFL, but he's almost assuredly locked himself into Day 2 following Saturday's subpar showing.

Mar 4 - 3:25 PM

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline reports that "a lot of teams are not downgrading" Eastern Washington WR Cooper Kupp despite his poor showing in the 40-yard dash.
Kupp ran a 4.62 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine on Saturday. Measuring in at 6-foot-2, 204 pounds, Kupp also posted a mediocre 31-inch vertical and a 9-foot-8 broad jump. "Never known as a deep threat with vertical speed, one scouting consultant told me he’s still a terrific pass catcher who can create after the reception," Pauline wrote.

Source: Draft Analyst 
Mar 5 - 1:27 PM

This was what I was trying to get at. I feel there's an element of racism (intended or not) to base decisions on race rather than the numbers and what you see on tape.

Snorkelson makes a good point in that Kupp is playing against all school talent and is a little older than normal at 23. Does anyone have any comparative cases and how they went on to perform in the NFL?

I believe Garcon might be a good reference.  He was a man amongst boys at Mt Union.

I believe Garcon might be a good reference.  He was a man amongst boys at Mt Union.
Garcon was athletically gifted, so not a good comp IMO.  Wille Snead is a better comp.  I think Kupp mentioning he'd love to play for the Saints translates he would like to play with a good QB who is accurate enough to throw into tight windows.  I have Kupp at WR12 and think he probably going late 3rd round early 4th.  I'll feel a lot better about him if he goes to a team with a good QB.

Garcon was athletically gifted, so not a good comp IMO.  Wille Snead is a better comp.  I think Kupp mentioning he'd love to play for the Saints translates he would like to play with a good QB who is accurate enough to throw into tight windows.  I have Kupp at WR12 and think he probably going late 3rd round early 4th.  I'll feel a lot better about him if he goes to a team with a good QB.

Good response

CBS Sports' Rob Rang referred to Eastern Washington WR Cooper Kupp as "the most polished route-runner in this draft."

"Further, Kupp has what I call Hoover hands; the ball just seems to get sucked into his big mitts like they are attached to vacuum cleaners," Rang wrote of the 6-foot-2, 204-pounder. The Eastern Washington standout's work at the NFL Scouting Combine was largely pedestrian (4.62s 40-yard dash, 31-inch vertical jump, 9-foot-8 broad jump), though Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline reported at the time that a fair number of teams were not truly docking Kupp for his lack of athletic measurables. Speed is just not a huge part of his game. Pauline views him as a potential third-round target come the draft later this month.

Source: CBS Sports 
Apr 9 - 3:21 PM

Breaking down Eastern Washington WR Cooper Kupp, an AFC scout said: "If he gets to a team with a good quarterback, watch out."

"In 2014, he punked both Marcus Peters and Sidney Jones when he took on Washington," the scout said. "Two first-round talents. You tell me if he's going to be a starter." Kupp had 117 catches for 1,700 yards and 17 touchdowns last season. Over his career, he set FBS records for total receptions (428), receiving yards (6,464) and receiving touchdowns (73). Kupp's athleticism has been questioned. He ran a 4.62 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine. Even so, NFL Media's Lance Zierlein gave Kupp the flattering comparison of NFL slot dynamo Jarvis Landry. "[Kupp] is as natural a pass catcher as you will find with desired competitive drive on each snap," Zierlein wrote. "His transition to NFL-level cornerbacks will take time, but he has the ability to become an early No. 3 receiver and eventual starter."

Source: NFL.com 
Apr 16 - 11:39 AM

Rams selected Eastern Washington WR Cooper Kupp with the No. 69 overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft.

Kupp (6’2/204) originally walked on at EWU, yet went on to start 52-of-52 games and earn FCS Offensive Player of the Year as both a junior and senior, breaking the all-division college record for career receiving yards (6,464) on 428 receptions (15.1 YPR) with 73 touchdowns. Kupp also scored three times on punt returns. Strictly a slot receiver in the Eagles’ wide-open spread, Kupp carries "system player" concerns after running 4.62 in Indy. Turning 24 in July, Kupp is also old for an incoming NFL rookie. Not big or athletic enough to win outside, Kupp is ticketed for an interior receiver role in the pros. PFF College has compared Kupp to ex-Bengals slot WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh. Despite his limitations, Kupp could be heavily targeted early in the Rams talent-bare receiver corps.

2017 NFL Draft Live Analysis: Fantasy Football Values

Excerpt:

Los Angeles Rams: Cooper Kupp, WR – Many people weren’t as high on Kupp as I was, and I understand that he may be best served out of the slot, but I believe he has more upside than that. Kupp succeeds against man and zone coverage with a high level ability to find space in defenses. Kupp also has some of the best hands in the draft. Of course, we come back to Goff being his quarterback. Kupp should slide in as the team’s No. 2 option alongside Robert Woods and could lead the team in receptions, but this offense will limit his potential. Kupp has more upside in PPR, but with Goff, Kupp is a bench option for bye weeks and DFS.

i did an adp with some of the lists out there and he is going 30-31st.  

i have #28 and will have my stack of bibles out.   :bow:

or maybe ill trade up.  :whoosh:

Snorkelson said:
You may have to trade into late 2nd imo. After the tier 2 rbs and tes it can be anybody. 
Agreed, any pick after 16 is a crapshoot for me.

Also, he has a pretty great nickname, The Moscow Mule.

Went 4.2 and 4.3 in my two rookie drafts so far, 3WR and 2Flex spots, so WR gets attention.  12 team leagues.

Perhaps the word is not out yet, or you are overvaluing him.

I have him ranked #20 but I expect he doesn't have a lot of fans and his situation isn't exactly great.  He's a great underneath target that has a chance to play outside as well.  

His situation may be better than perceived. I expect the Rams to be playing from behind in most their games. So their could be a lot of garbage time production form the pass game.

His situation may be better than perceived. I expect the Rams to be playing from behind in most their games. So their could be a lot of garbage time production form the pass game.
I think he's got a lot of value in PPR. Everyone thinks he's going to be a slot target because he's not a speed merchant or "poor measurables". He runs better than good routes. He's got great hands. He's got practically no one proven ahead of him with a new offense and woefully inexperienced QB. He's got better than a puncher's chance to be useful right out of the gate regardless of when/how he gets used.

I think he's got a lot of value in PPR. Everyone thinks he's going to be a slot target because he's not a speed merchant or "poor measurables". He runs better than good routes. He's got great hands. He's got practically no one proven ahead of him with a new offense and woefully inexperienced QB. He's got better than a puncher's chance to be useful right out of the gate regardless of when/how he gets used.
Completely agree with this. He seems so underrated to me at the moment and I'm happy to scoop him up in the late second or wherever, whether I need a WR or not. Assuming Goff will improve to the level of competent (and he should), Kupp has a chance to be a WR3 out of the gate IMO, if not better. It's not far fetched to think he will be the best WR on the Rams this year - who is really in front of him on the depth chart? Austin, P. Cooper, Woods? That's not much. Kupp is an incredibly well-rounded, pro-ready WR. He really has no flaws outside of straight line speed, and he's savvy enough to overcome that. I think he will surprise some people who dismissed him basically because of his weak 40 time.

I see Jarvis Landry 2.0 for fantasy, assuming he gets competent QB play in the Rams' new system. That's valuable.

Hottest Rookie Storylines During NFL Offseason Workouts

Excerpt:

Cooper Kupp must have came out of the womb being able to catch a football. He's just a natural. 

After all, Kupp holds the FCS trifecta for most career receptions (428), receiving yards (6,464) and receiving touchdowns (73). 

Yet he still fell to the third round, where the Los Angeles Rams selected him with the 69th overall pick. The reason is simple: Kupp is a 6'2" receiver with 4.62-second 40-yard dash speed, who will likely need to operate out of the slot to be effective. 

The Eastern Washington product will never be the biggest, fastest or quickest receiver, but all he does is get open and catch the ball. He continued to do so during his first NFL minicamp. 

"He's still being Coop," former collegiate and current teammate Samson Ebukam said, per the Los Angeles TimesGary Klein. "Catching balls and making people look silly." 

While the Rams search for a legitimate No. 1 receiver, Kupp made his presence known to the coaching staff. 

"I think the first thing you know about Cooper is he's a pro and you can see that," Rams offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur said, per the Spokesman-Review's Jim Allen. "He came in here not like most rookies do. … You can tell he works at his craft each and every day. He does a great job."

The fact Kupp walked into the Rams facility and looked like he can be a reliable—maybe even the top—target for quarterback Jared Goff speaks a lot about the rookie's preparedness and natural ability despite any perceived limitations. 

Just throw Kupp the damn ball. He'll catch it.

I've been buying this guy in every league I get a chance. I've noticed his adp keeps getting lower and lower.

Users who are viewing this thread