What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Man in the High Castle (Amazon Prime) (2 Viewers)

done

agree that the love story did dull things out for me

Actually liked it better when not focused on Juliana or Joe Blake.

Frink grew on me

I loved the openheimerhghruphen john smith guy, he stole ever scene he was in.

Liked all the japanese characters

The Marshall guy was intense

Rudy was good as well

ETA: ooh, also really liked the antique dealer, the Kevin Spacey lite dude

overall kinda confused about what was on the last tape they all saw in the school and even the final scene.

I'm probably just to dumb to understand it but enjoyed the show overall
There's too much unknown to completely understand what's going on yet. Why did Hitler have all those tapes? What do the tapes represent? I think all will be revealed in subsequent season. I do love just how brutal the Japs and Krauts are. Treat the US citizens just like I image they would if they had in fact won. Show seems very "authentic" to me.
I specifically meant the last film they were looking at?

Like, it didn't make any sense what was on the film

I'm through ep 7 and I really like this one.

The plot feels slightly bloated and coincidence heavy, but the atmosphere and tension are incredible.

Up to episode nine and I'm liking it.

The new film is a change, instead of showing the world as it would have been if the Allies won, it shows what will happen if the protagonists don't wise up, IMHO.

I may come back and delete this post after watching the last episode this weekend, though....

People who read ****'s book after watching the series are going to be very confused. The producers took a lot of liberties with the original source materials. They started with the basic premise of ****'s universe (or universes) and a handful of characters and ran with them. The net result probably made for better television and certainly opened up possibilities to continue the show beyond Tagomi's revelation that concluded the original novel.

Halfway through this. Sloooooooooooooooooooowww, but hanging in there.

It kinda sucks that this isn't a normal 1 show a week, show. Hard to discuss it when some people binge the whole thing while others are watching one show at a time.

I almost don't want to read to much of this thread because I'm only on episode 7.

3eps in so far. REALLY enjoying this show. The 2nd episode was fantastic.

So far the only thing that's bugged me is the bounty hunter knowing to stop at the top of the dam. How in the hell did he know to stop there?

It kinda sucks that this isn't a normal 1 show a week, show. Hard to discuss it when some people binge the whole thing while others are watching one show at a time.

I almost don't want to read to much of this thread because I'm only on episode 7.
I would think all bets are off on spoiler alerts in series produced for the internet. However, common courtesy is to still not be too spoilerish.

So when Trade Ministah opens his eyes in 1962 "real" San Fran, is that a dream reveal? Or does he exist in two parallel universes? Or...? I took it as the latter but pretty confused.

So when Trade Ministah opens his eyes in 1962 "real" San Fran, is that a dream reveal? Or does he exist in two parallel universes? Or...? I took it as the latter but pretty confused.
He moved himself by sheer force of will to the other universe

Which he knew was there because of his oracle? Or knew because he goes back and forth?

Last edited by a moderator:
Which he knew was there because of his oracle? Or knew because he goes back and forth?
I don't think he knew he could but he wanted out of a situation leading to dishonor and requiring ritual suicide,,,
It's been a long time since i read the book, so I could be wrong.

I don't think he knew he could but he wanted out of a situation leading to dishonor and requiring ritual suicide,,,
It's been a long time since i read the book, so I could be wrong.

Gotcha. Thanks.

I wanted to like it. Interesting concept. Beautifully shot. I slogged through all 10 episodes, but I just found it boring as hell and none of the characters were particularly interesting. I don't mind a slow burn (love Rectify), but this was ridiculous. I think you could make the case that all the mysteries laid out in episode 10 should've just been in the damn pilot. You wipe out everything that happened for 7-8 episodes, and I'm not sure the viewer is less well off for it.

Through 8 episodes and not rushing to finish it. As others have said, really good idea for a show, but just not doing it for me. I really want to like it.

I loved it until they went off the rails on the whole alternate universe stuff. :sadbanana:

I'll probably watch S2 because I liked it so much before the final few eps, but I've cooled on it a lot.

For those of you who hated the alternative universe stuff, where did you think the film rolls (the central piece of the story) came from?

It had to be something at least unusual and likely supernatural.

For those of you who hated the alternative universe stuff, where did you think the film rolls (the central piece of the story) came from?

I thought it was someone in Hollywood making them using special effects. Not CGI, but maybe miniature replicas on fire. But then when they started to see themselves I wasn't sure. I guess I didn't consider some supernatural alternate universe thing. I didn't consider a time machine either, which would of been possible. Another possibility is the people were actually shape shifters like the girl on Xmen.The setting was historical fiction. Why on earth would anyone think of some crazy SciFi theory in a movie that doesn't appear to be SciFi?

I'm only 3 episodes in. I might give up now based in this alternative universe and time travel crap I'm reading here. I just wanted to see historical fiction if we lost the war.

I'm only 3 episodes in. I might give up now based in this alternative universe and time travel crap I'm reading here. I just wanted to see historical fiction if we lost the war.
yea, this is gonna lose it for me.

Will tune in for S2 but it looks like the premise of the show is more syfy instead of historical

I thought it was someone in Hollywood making them using special effects. Not CGI, but maybe miniature replicas on fire. But then when they started to see themselves I wasn't sure. I guess I didn't consider some supernatural alternate universe thing. I didn't consider a time machine either, which would of been possible. Another possibility is the people were actually shape shifters like the girl on Xmen.The setting was historical fiction. Why on earth would anyone think of some crazy SciFi theory in a movie that doesn't appear to be SciFi?
Philip K. **** may have been a clue for such people...

It was for me and I haven't read the book. I just figured because of the author, it was gonna get sci-funky. I think you can still watch this and enjoy the historical fiction portion and kind of let the crazy stuff flow past, but I also don't know where the story is going so maybe not.....

I have no clue who that **** is, I just assumed it was a show about what is the US/allies lost the war.

The syfy angle totally changes it for me. Will still tune but may tune out if i lose interest

Yep, I'm out. I hate the SciFi aspect. Too bad.
Why is the SciFi angle bad? If it wasn't for that, the occupation by both the Germans and Japanese seems so complete that there'd be no hope of any kind of rebellion. You guys would just prefer a show about these folks lives under occupation? For me, I'd much prefer a show that shows there's hope the US can overthrow these jackasses.

It was for me and I haven't read the book. I just figured because of the author, it was gonna get sci-funky. I think you can still watch this and enjoy the historical fiction portion and kind of let the crazy stuff flow past, but I also don't know where the story is going so maybe not.....
I put up with a UFO in Fargo, I can handle this.

Sci fi angle is only relevant due to the fact that a season 2 is contemplated. Makes zero impact on season 1.

:goodposting:

Why is the SciFi angle bad? If it wasn't for that, the occupation by both the Germans and Japanese seems so complete that there'd be no hope of any kind of rebellion. You guys would just prefer a show about these folks lives under occupation? For me, I'd much prefer a show that shows there's hope the US can overthrow these jackasses.
They needed a SciFi angle to justify the underground resistance? They needed a SciFi angle to justify the Nazi's attacking Japan after Hitler kicked the bucket? Those story lines were what most intrigued me about the show (other than Julianna :wub: )

They needed a SciFi angle to justify the underground resistance? They needed a SciFi angle to justify the Nazi's attacking Japan after Hitler kicked the bucket? Those story lines were what most intrigued me about the show (other than Julianna :wub: )
Agree the SciFi angle wasn't needed; they already built on the idea of the US winning the war but it was hidden (hence the need to keep the films hidden). I also didn't understand the people being shot dead in the films but still alive so again must have been films from the alternative universe?

:loco:

Good premiss but the SciFi angle ruined it for me. It basically makes it too hard for me to reserve my disbelief and enjoy what I'm watching; if there is a season 2, that would be in the back of my mind every time.

Yeah I'm out.

Yea, why do you need a scifi angle for a rebellion or revolution? Seems that history is full of both

Sci fi angle is only relevant due to the fact that a season 2 is contemplated. Makes zero impact on season 1.
it could have all been the trade minister's dream, then no sci fi needed. Also hard to make a season 2.
Why would S2 be hard to make?

Just run with the premise of US trying to revolt against Germany/Japan in order to liberate the US.

Can easily turn that into a 5 season show...again I am going with the thought of knowing nothing about the book or wherever this came from.

Oof, an alternate universe? I'll watch the last two episodes of season 1 at some point, but I now anticipate hating it.

I don't know, a story about a Germany-Japan war for supremacy while the rest of the world toils in servitude isn't really a compelling premise for a TV show. No good guys. The way they've set up the resistance they haven't demonstrated that they can mount a credible threat of seriously rebelling. I get that people aren't thrilled with the weird Fringe-type stuff but it was pretty clear from Juliana's initial reaction to the tape that that's where they were going with this IMO.

The much bigger problem is the character development. Joe hasn't turned the corner into a compelling character yet and Jules' naive antics are just irritating. Frank is sort of one note as well. John Smith shows some promise. I'm hoping some of these players will become more interesting now that they've had a season to set the stage.

Users who are viewing this thread