What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Man in the High Castle (Amazon Prime) (1 Viewer)

Yep, I'm out. I hate the SciFi aspect. Too bad.
Why is the SciFi angle bad? If it wasn't for that, the occupation by both the Germans and Japanese seems so complete that there'd be no hope of any kind of rebellion. You guys would just prefer a show about these folks lives under occupation? For me, I'd much prefer a show that shows there's hope the US can overthrow these jackasses.
They needed a SciFi angle to justify the underground resistance? They needed a SciFi angle to justify the Nazi's attacking Japan after Hitler kicked the bucket? Those story lines were what most intrigued me about the show (other than Julianna :wub: )
I don't know, a story about a Germany-Japan war for supremacy while the rest of the world toils in servitude isn't really a compelling premise for a TV show. No good guys. The way they've set up the resistance they haven't demonstrated that they can mount a credible threat of seriously rebelling.I get that people aren't thrilled with the weird Fringe-type stuff but it was pretty clear from Juliana's initial reaction to the tape that that's where they were going with this IMO.

The much bigger problem is the character development. Joe hasn't turned the corner into a compelling character yet and Jules' naive antics are just irritating. Frank is sort of one note as well. John Smith shows some promise. I'm hoping some of these players will become more interesting now that they've had a season to set the stage.
Man...disagree with this x 1 million

A show with this premise has so many ways they can go that can be interesting.

Germany/Japan begin fighting each other for world supremacy while resistance forces in US and pockets of Europe form and rise up to overtake their oppressors.

So much you can tap into throughout history to make it compelling.

-Shows about the bad guys 1st stepping on US soil and the beginning of the fall of the US

-scenes showing the whitehouse being overtaken.

-scenes with Patton surrendering or going down in a blaze of glory

-tidbits like...a boy walks by a newsstand and the headline on one of the papers is "Joe DiMaggio KILLED IN ACTION"

-a secret underground city in the rocky mountains that had been preparing for this day is America's last resort!!

-Japanese forces surround the Los Alamos as the Manhattan project is near it's conclusion....Oppenheimer knows he can not allow the Japanese forces to acquire the information him and his team have on the atomic bomb. They destroy all their files and commit mass suicide to prevent the Japanese from getting their hands on anything or anyone that had any knowledge of making the bomb.

'Merica!

Why is the SciFi angle bad? If it wasn't for that, the occupation by both the Germans and Japanese seems so complete that there'd be no hope of any kind of rebellion. You guys would just prefer a show about these folks lives under occupation? For me, I'd much prefer a show that shows there's hope the US can overthrow these jackasses.
They needed a SciFi angle to justify the underground resistance? They needed a SciFi angle to justify the Nazi's attacking Japan after Hitler kicked the bucket? Those story lines were what most intrigued me about the show (other than Julianna :wub: )
I don't know, a story about a Germany-Japan war for supremacy while the rest of the world toils in servitude isn't really a compelling premise for a TV show. No good guys. The way they've set up the resistance they haven't demonstrated that they can mount a credible threat of seriously rebelling.I get that people aren't thrilled with the weird Fringe-type stuff but it was pretty clear from Juliana's initial reaction to the tape that that's where they were going with this IMO.

The much bigger problem is the character development. Joe hasn't turned the corner into a compelling character yet and Jules' naive antics are just irritating. Frank is sort of one note as well. John Smith shows some promise. I'm hoping some of these players will become more interesting now that they've had a season to set the stage.

Germany/Japan begin fighting each other for world supremacy while resistance forces in US and pockets of Europe form and rise up to overtake their oppressors.

-Shows about the bad guys 1st stepping on US soil and the beginning of the fall of the US

-tidbits like...a boy walks by a newsstand and the headline on one of the papers is "Joe DiMaggio KILLED IN ACTION"

-a secret underground city in the rocky mountains that had been preparing for this day is America's last resort!!

-Japanese forces surround the Los Alamos as the Manhattan project is near it's conclusion....Oppenheimer knows he can not allow the Japanese forces to acquire the information him and his team have on the atomic bomb. They destroy all their files and commit mass suicide to prevent the Japanese from getting their hands on anything or anyone that had any knowledge of making the bomb.

'Merica!
All your ideas are scenes from the war that happened 20 ish years ago in the show. The resistance as shown is Season 1 is not even capable of smuggling two small packages across the country let alone armed rebellion.

'Merica!
All your ideas are scenes from the war that happened 20 ish years ago in the show. The resistance as shown is Season 1 is not even capable of smuggling two small packages across the country let alone armed rebellion.
Fair points....'merica?

'Merica!
Truth, based on the situation of the country in the show, the idea of real resistance taking the back country is more unlikely than an alternative universe.

Some kind of German / Japanese standoff would be interesting but then you'd have no scifi which everybody loves.

Even though the scifi angle was important too the book, and I am excited about season 2, I have to say that the work stands on its own pretty well without the scifi angle. The book is from the 60s, and in 2015, we are more conditioned to accept a dystopian universe as our setting...

'Merica!
Truth, based on the situation of the country in the show, the idea of real resistance taking the back country is more unlikely than an alternative universe.

Some kind of German / Japanese standoff would be interesting but then you'd have no scifi which everybody loves.
The US would just need a giant dumpster they could slide under and hide from the germans and japanese....just in time to take back the country!

Yea, I am undecided on whether I like the whole "Man in the High Castle" angle or if it would have been better just doing a take on alternate history. But either way, I am hooked.

I wanted the story to be better.

It ran into the same problem several shows have had (Flashforward for example), maintained the tease waaayyyyy too long. You have to give the audience something before the very end.

I like the look and the idea but the payoff wasn't there.

When Hitler was watching the movies I starting thinking he figured out time travel and went back and changed time (but somehow was able to keep the movies from the original timeline).

It's like a demented Bill & Ted.

Even though the scifi angle was important too the book, and I am excited about season 2, I have to say that the work stands on its own pretty well without the scifi angle. The book is from the 60s, and in 2015, we are more conditioned to accept a dystopian universe as our setting...
I don't get this - in the 60's there was at least a somewhat realistic fear that the Soviet Union could take over the world yet today the U.S. has virtually no threats (outside of Trump, of course).

Most overrated on Rotten Tomatoes ever?

Couldn't make it past three episodes and that was a struggle.

A unique premise does not make a great TV series.

Have you guys never heard of Philip K. ****?
I do the majority of my reading in the FFA, so I didn't know who he was until this thread.  Like the majority of stuff I watch, I had no idea who wrote/produced/directed prior to going in.

Liked the first season but just am not that motivated to watch the 2nd one. I remember the gist of what happened last year but couldn't name one character (besides Hitler) if my life depended on it.

Think I'm going to have to rewatch season 1 to refresh my memory.

Liked the first season but just am not that motivated to watch the 2nd one. I remember the gist of what happened last year but couldn't name one character (besides Hitler) if my life depended on it.

Think I'm going to have to rewatch season 1 to refresh my memory.
There's the hot chick, the hot chicks' boy friend, the hot chicks' boy friends' goofy co-worker, the dude that is really a bad guy, the Nazi guy and the asian guy who trips out and temporarily travels through alternate realities.  Plus a handful of others that you'll never care enough about to recall.

Pretty sure this is spot on.

There's the hot chick, the hot chicks' boy friend, the hot chicks' boy friends' goofy co-worker, the dude that is really a bad guy, the Nazi guy and the asian guy who trips out and temporarily travels through alternate realities.  Plus a handful of others that you'll never care enough about to recall.

Pretty sure this is spot on.
yeah, that's basically how I feel. I remember this show like people who play on their phones the entire time its on remember Game of Thrones.

One of the characters is DJ Quals. Another one is the dude who played the bad guy in A Knight's Tale.  Other than that, I got nothing.

Maybe I don't need to watch this after all.....

Watched both seasons in the last week after reading good reviews about it. Mrs Bats quit after the first episode but I stuck with it and enjoyed it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wrapped up season 2, will there be a 3rd? Liked it a lot but I'm into WWII history so it was intriguing to me.

Previews of season 2 I've seen don't make me want to watch it at all.  Am I alone here?

Previews of season 2 I've seen don't make me want to watch it at all.  Am I alone here?
We gave season 2 a couple episodes and then bailed indefinitely. I almost never give up on a show like that. Unfortunately it's even slower than season 1 so far, and I still don't like any of the characters. The Nazi family man is interesting, but not really who I want to root for.

I'm a fan of PKD but I have some difficulty getting in to this story because it hinges on an unrealistic premise....that FDR is assassinated prior to WW2

the nazis could have won the war several times within the actual events

obliterating the British army at Dunkirk and ultimately commiting to operation sea lion 

properly equipping Rommel in africa

focusing on one target during Barbarossa

therebis no reason to stretch the fiction as far as it was

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife and I couldn't get past the first episode...should we try again?
IMO if you can't get by the premise then don't try to push through a season. The plot line stays pretty steady throughout. There are a few twists along the way but nothing that grabs you by the balls and makes you say OH MY GOD!!!

IMO if you can't get by the premise then don't try to push through a season. The plot line stays pretty steady throughout. There are a few twists along the way but nothing that grabs you by the balls and makes you say OH MY GOD!!!
:goodposting:

this isn't can't-miss TV. if the concept doesn't grab you, I don't think there's enough there to warrant sitting through 2 slow-developing, slow-paced seasons.

I enjoy it just enough to keep going- we're 6 through the 2nd season.

:goodposting:

this isn't can't-miss TV. if the concept doesn't grab you, I don't think there's enough there to warrant sitting through 2 slow-developing, slow-paced seasons.

I enjoy it just enough to keep going- we're 6 through the 2nd season.
I like where season 2 went. can't really say much more without spoiling it. Check back when you finish up.

So the sister is from an alternate universe, right?

She would have to be to still be alive but then what happened to alternate universe Trade Minister? Can't be 2 of them, can there? That was the one thing about season 2 I was a little sketchy about. How they travel between alternate realities? Has the potential to derail the show IMO.

I watched the first two episodes of season 2 the day it came out and haven't gone back to it. I'm sure I will at some point, but it's obviously not drawing me in.

Users who are viewing this thread