What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Student Debt Protests (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
I'm typiclly an Independent, but more and more I'm hating the left - Don't get me wrong, I hate the right as well, but who the #### do these entitled ####wads think they are?

1000's of students march across the country for free college

I mean really, #### off. Glad my kids will have a leg up on all these self entitled doucchebags.

A few hundred students rallied on the campus of the historically progressive University of California Berkeley, and posted placards on the outside of a class building showing their individual student debt loads, ranging from just several thousand dollars to more than $100,000.
Read more at Reutershttp://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/13/us-usa-college-protests-idUSKCN0T116W20151113#iB2614VplCU3jkfU.99
Huge shocker here... Let me give you something for free, I'll call it advice; Go to a local junior college for 2 years, transfer into a state school, work while you do it, and you can have a four year degree with almost no debt when you graduate.

Oh, you want to go to Cal Berkley? Great, I want a $3.5M brownstone - I won't buy one because the mortgage will have me on suicide watch, so I'll look at something that fits my budget, you #######s should do the same.

:rantover: Good luck with life idiots. The more moron proof we make the world, the bigger the moron we create!

And yet many countries manage to not bankrupt a generation for an education more than one with completely free college. We compete with those countries but we will be losing if we are not producing the educated people we need. And lastly it would cost less for the US to just pay for it then the way we do it now.

I'm more and more convinced if my kids can read and write full sentences and follow logic, know how to work hard and earn their way, avoid consumer debt and respect their employers they will easily beat out most of their peers.

And yet many countries manage to not bankrupt a generation for an education more than one with completely free college. We compete with those countries but we will be losing if we are not producing the educated people we need. And lastly it would cost less for the US to just pay for it then the way we do it now.
What is wrong with going to a junior college (which is far from expensive) and transferring into a state school? Most state schools transfer most/all credits from junior colleges within the state. Then, the student gets an instate tuition for the last two years. You can make it through 4 years on like $20k-$25k - $5-$7k a year in total to outrageous? Poor 20 year olds shouldn't have to work #### jobs? What is the issue here?

Last edited by a moderator:
How do we pay for everyone to go to school for free?

What is wrong with going to a junior college (which is far from expensive) and transferring into a state school? Most state schools transfer most/all credits from junior colleges within the state. Then, the student gets an instate tuition for the last two years. You can make it through 4 years on like $20k-$25k - $5-$7k a year in total to outrageous? Poor 20 year olds shouldn't have to work #### jobs? What is the issue here?
a lot of the more prestigious jobs in our society won't even look at kids coming out of a state school. so, the kids coming out of the expensive schools with the established recruiting networks, whose parents probably already work at those prestigious firms anyways, get the top jobs. sure, that's not always the case, but it is more often than not. how do we ever break this cycle so that the playing field is level?

Every time my 9 year old gets a pancake block on film for Friday Night Tykes I count myself lucky his Stanford education will be free.

And yet many countries manage to not bankrupt a generation for an education more than one with completely free college. We compete with those countries but we will be losing if we are not

producing the educated people we need. And lastly it would cost less for the US to just pay for it then the way we do it now.
Fine to advocate for this but it isn't our current system and nobody forced these current students to take on the debt to go to school.

"Bankrupt a generation" = total hyperbole.

I'm not empathizing with these guys, but education cost is out of control. Problem is that now everyone feels that they need to go to at least some college. Which now dilutes the 4 year degree and forcing most of them to take on even more debt and get masters and above to distinguish themselves—further prolonging their time to be productive, wage earning person and just collecting more debt.

Most college has turned into a privately paid for extended high school.

But I blame the lack of appeal for trades and other skilled labor in this country. If we made having a trade more desirable and able to raise a family on, you would see more kids move toward training, and you'll see bachelor's level admissions shrink along with the expectedness of open ended check books.

ETA: I'm not in favor of paying for some other kid's college....just would like to see the notion of "everyone needs to go to college" go away.

The same way we pay for free healthcare and free Teslas. Tax the 1%.

In 2012 we spent 69 billion on grants, work study programs, etc. BTW that doesnt count servicing loans. The total spent on public college tuition that year was 62 billion. So that seems to cover it.

I'm not empathizing with these guys, but education cost is out of control. Problem is that now everyone feels that they need to go to at least some college. Which now dilutes the 4 year degree and forcing most of them to take on even more debt and get masters and above to distinguish themselves—further prolonging their time to be productive, wage earning person and just collecting more debt.

But I blame the lack of appeal for trades and other skilled labor in this country. If we made having a trade more desirable and able to raise a family on, you would see more kids move toward training, and you'll see bachelor's level admissions shrink along with the expectedness of open ended check books.
i'd rather have my kid be an electrician instead of getting a liberal arts degree

a lot of the more prestigious jobs in our society won't even look at kids coming out of a state school. so, the kids coming out of the expensive schools with the established recruiting networks, whose parents probably already work at those prestigious firms anyways, get the top jobs. sure, that's not always the case, but it is more often than not. how do we ever break this cycle so that the playing field is level?
My friends from HS went to Rutgers, Hartford, Montclair, Towson, Maryland, SUNY, Pace, and quite a few other middle of the pack colleges. All bright, all doing really well...

Sure, your first job might not be $125k at Goldman Sachs or Google, but if you are talented/bright/hard working, you'll find your way into a good situation.

i'd rather have my kid be an electrician instead of getting a liberal arts degree
If your kid wants to be an electrician, this plan makes sense.

If not, seems like he will be limited in his options.

I'm not empathizing with these guys, but education cost is out of control. Problem is that now everyone feels that they need to go to at least some college. Which now dilutes the 4 year degree and forcing most of them to take on even more debt and get masters and above to distinguish themselvesfurther prolonging their time to be productive, wage earning person and just collecting more debt.

You can do very well financially as a mechanic, plumber, electrician, etc. Our high schools don't support these paths anymore though. It's a really big failing in our education system.

And yet many countries manage to not bankrupt a generation for an education more than one with completely free college. We compete with those countries but we will be losing if we are not

producing the educated people we need. And lastly it would cost less for the US to just pay for it then the way we do it now.
Fine to advocate for this but it isn't our current system and nobody forced these current students to take on the debt to go to school.
"Protesting" at Cal does seem an odd approach here, but there's no denying that education costs and student debt are a major issue in our country. The headlines a month or two ago proclaimed student debt the new #2, passing credit card and auto debt and trailing only mortgage debt in our country. A young couple with kids in this country has three major financial concerns - health care, retirement and college tuition. The same couple most anywhere else in the world is not concerned with any of these, at least not in their 20s/30s.

You can do very well financially as a mechanic, plumber, electrician, etc. Our high schools don't support these paths anymore though. It's a really big failing in our education system.
Agree on both parts...I shake my head at kids complaining that they work at Starbucks but have a masters....in Ancient Language Arts...WTF?? And I'm an artist/designer, but some of these degrees are just stupid.

Jonessed: thats what I mean, we are not supporting these trades and offering them as viable options. Its all about grades and colleges.

"Protesting" at Cal does seem an odd approach here, but there's no denying that education costs and student debt are a major issue in our country. The headlines a month or two ago proclaimed student debt the new #2, passing credit card and auto debt and trailing only mortgage debt in our country. A young couple with kids in this country has three major financial concerns - health care, retirement and college tuition. The same couple most anywhere else in the world is not concerned with any of these, at least not in their 20s/30s.
There is a reason we are better than the rest of the world.

The thing that makes me laugh the most about this is that people talk about the financing as the problem yet ignore the fact that the cost of college has risen leaps and bounds above inflation. Why? Largely because there is cheap and overly accessible financing available to all.

Instead of protesting the financing- maybe these people should protest the ridiculous cost of college these days.

Where does the money go?

If your kid wants to be an electrician, this plan makes sense.

If not, seems like he will be limited in his options.
Most Americans are limited with their options as well - and they have additional debt on top of it.

maybe its just me, but you sure seem to complain a lot about the greatest country in the world

maybe its just me, but you sure seem to complain a lot about the greatest country in the world
The bar isn't that high.

It is your basic supply and demand issue. Everyone wants to go to college. Everyone can pay for college one way or the other, whether that is through scholarships, their own money, loans, or government assistance. Expect prices to continue to rise until the supply peters out, or there are colleges everywhere, like high schools.

In fairness, we also have the best Universities in the world - by far.

I'm not saying those are directly correlated - but they may be.

How much did they THINK it was going to cost to go to Berkeley?

Now excuse me while I go protest the high prices of Ferraris.

The ballooning of student debt and out of control college cost increases are a direct result of, wait for it...the federal government making student debt more available in the 1990s.

Under the old Stafford Loan program you had to show financial need to get a loan. Under the new Direct Loan program, you don't. Federal loan dollars have flooded into the system, which has caused cost inflation.

Also, college enrollments are up something like 20% since the 1990s.

Interestingly enough, kids from affluent and semi-affluent families have seen their share of total borrowing increase the most.

I was looking for the data, I know I have seen it before, but the majority of graduating students don't have a lot more debt than they used to have. The heavy borrowers have A LOT more debt. That happens when people finance multiple degrees at expensive colleges or advanced degrees that require many years of schooling (e.g. medical school, law school).

A lot of those investments have very low ROI. Borrowing to go all the way through an expensive med-school to become a family practictioner is probably a bad decision. Likewise financing a law degree at an expensive law school in order to become a public defender or do some kind of public interest legal work is probably a bad decision. Borrowing a bunch of money to get an undergrad degree in French lit from a "Little Ivy" is a terrible decision.

In 2012 we spent 69 billion on grants, work study programs, etc. BTW that doesnt count servicing loans. The total spent on public college tuition that year was 62 billion. So that seems to cover it.
Then when we send kids to college for free everywhere, how long before the ones stuck at average state school protest that they aren't going to Berkeley, UVA, Michigan, etc... for free?

Protests du jour-

$15 minimum wage

Free college tuition

Fire whitey

Cancel all student debt

every white person is racist

I think I'm gonna heads to Starbucks and proclaim my white privilege by having the barista draw a picture of a snowman with a tiny **** on my big red cup..

How about we give a free finance course to prospective college students with a concentration on how prices are set?

And another on personal finance (although that should be a core part of H.S. curriculum.)

How about we give a free finance course to prospective college students with a concentration on how prices are set?
Ole' Soviet Sanders needs to be in that class with his "I don't understand how you can get a car loan for less of a rate than a student loan" crap. How did I see this quote you might ask? Re-posted by a U of Chicago, Stanford and Harvard grad who is now a Prof. :wall:

If the 69B includes money spent on private colleges, but the 62B doesn't, I'm not sure you're comparing apples to apples.

Ole' Soviet Sanders needs to be in that class with his "I don't understand how you can get a car loan for less of a rate than a student loan" crap. How did I see this quote you might ask? Re-posted by a U of Chicago, Stanford and Harvard grad who is now a Prof. :wall:
Soviet sanders? What other funny nicknames do you have?

And another on personal finance (although that should be a core part of H.S. curriculum.)
will the course explain how the state of California sets prices for its public universities.

Since most public universities survive on Federal grant money, don't you need to combine the numbers? And if you are fully funding college, wouldn't those University employees then become government contractors? Then their salaries and benefits would have to be commiserate with that status, further increasing the cost.

The average amount of student debt per borrower for undergrads at public universities has risen by a whopping $4,000 over the past 15 years.

The horror...

Cheap government money designed to increase consumption of a product or service leads to higher prices for said product or service????!!!

No, can't be #housingbubble #studentloanbubble #medicalcostbubble

The thing that makes me laugh the most about this is that people talk about the financing as the problem yet ignore the fact that the cost of college has risen leaps and bounds above inflation. Why? Largely because there is cheap and overly accessible financing available to all.

Instead of protesting the financing- maybe these people should protest the ridiculous cost of college these days.

Where does the money go?
This.

Also, lost in this is that every time government tries to help the poor by subsidizing college education, the middle class that isn't getting a subsidy ends up getting ####ed over because colleges raise prices due to the subsidies.

I don't think we should group this in with the Missouri and Ithica protest. Whatever you think about this issue, at least it's tangible. They're not demanding the school president resign for no reason whatsoever.

It's Berkeley. Protest is a tradition.

I don't think we should group this in with the Missouri and Ithica protest. Whatever you think about this issue, at least it's tangible. They're not demanding the school president resign for no reason whatsoever.

It's Berkeley. Protest is a tradition.
Tradition or not, holding a big protest to say the contract you agreed to is unfair seems pretty silly.

Is this part of the "everybody get a trouphy" problem?

Pretty sure some of their parents called to complain.

Users who are viewing this thread