What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2016 Philadelphia Eagles* - The year of Change (1 Viewer)

As a funny side note about Sean Payton, he has a VERY minor Philly connection. He is second cousins (or so) with my wife's college roommate (who is from Scranton). He was a scab QB during the 1987 strike season for the Chicago Bears. He played QB against the Eagles (in Philadelphia) in the first game using the non-union players. In that game he was 5-11 for 51 yards passing and had one rush for 28 yards.

On a more related matter, I heard something on sports radio over the weekend that made sense regarding a reason to pick a 3-4 over a 4-3. It was something Chip said once that by going 3-4 you have more LBs on the team. This helps out your Special Teams be more athletic and have more splash plays as the personnel manning the STs is less big DE types and more speedy LBs. Maybe it isn't a coincidence that our STs have been so much better during the time Chip was here.

As for Shanahan rumors, would our RBs be a good fit for his zone blocking system?
Pretty sure neither Sproles, Mathews, Barner, or Murray would lead the team in rushing.

Adding salt to the wound: Jeremy Maclin finished with the best hands in the league at WR. Just one drop from 120 targets

I realize it's to my team (Skins) advantage if the Eagles don't do well, but I wouldn't wish Mike Shanahan on you guys. He's a bad coach and a financial liability to any team he coaches. His shining moments were with John Elway, and he's well past his prime. His defenses have seldom if ever been good; he hires DC's he likes and lets them perform terribly, until he himself begins to interfere with defensive strategy. Haslett never said it with the Redskins but other coaches and players did --- Haslett would set up their defensive game plan for the week, they'd practice it all week, and on Friday or Saturday Shanahan would come announce to them that they were using a different defensive strategy.

Too much is made of him being "right" about Cousins vs. Griffin. He rode Griffin to his only playoff appearance in Washington, and if he ever wanted to replace Griffin he didn't have the nads to do so despite outranking the GM in authority. 2 years later little kid Jay Gruden came in and had the nads to do it --- bench Griffin for Cousins -- so I think a good bit of the "Shanahan preferred Cousins over Griffin" story is revisionist history, something Shanahan excels at.

Shanahan's good at zone blocking offense, that's about it. A player gets in his doghouse and he does everything he can to humiliate and devalue the player, instead of speaking well of them and trading them for whatever he can get. He's just............. a bad choice as a head coach any more.

If you like arrogant guys who are never wrong, who are past their prime, and who rub people the wrong way, he's your man. I don't think the Eagles are looking for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
An article I read this morning had Duce as a candidate for the HC job. He has to be the Rooney Rule sacrificial lamb, right?
I would think so. They like him, and want to keep him (blocked his move to KC when Andy requested). But I don't think he's a serious candidate at this point.

-----

Howie and Jeff see Duce walking down the hallway at NovaCare:

"Hey Duce? Got a minute?"

Rooney rule satisfied. Gase tomorrow and now free to make him HC if they want.
It was suggested on the pre-game WIP stuff yesterday that it was also partly for Lurie to get more feedback about what the players are saying and thinking, since they supposedly trust Duce and talk to him a lot.

Also, re: Peters, it was suggested that perhaps in a different offense he could be more useful, particularly if he were using his size and weight. In Chip's offense, that was irrelevant, but in a different scheme, it could work a lot more to his advantage.

If the Eagles are squeezing Shurmur's interview in on the the same day they are having him do all the player exit interviews, I don't think they are seriously considering him.

Some Eagles Salary Cap Thoughts

Per the Eagles page at overthecap.com, they currently have $133m allocated against a projected cap of around $154m for 2016. Given that I believe they should franchise Bradford, at a figure of just under $20m per at least one projection that means they will have to make room under the cap for any acquisitions.

Here's a few thoughts on players they could target. All the figures I'm going to quote don't use the post June 1 designation, because if they're going to swallow dead money, I'd rather get it out of the way in one year than spread it out.

Riley Cooper: No brainer here, $2.4m dead money but frees up $2.9m.

Brent Celek: He's been a great Eagle and I love what he's done, but $5m in cap savings with no dead money cost for a declining backup TE is another no brainer.

DeMeco Ryans: $1m dead money and $3.5m cap savings for a guy who's become a deep backup. No brainer #3.

Mark Sanchez: I think he's a good backup, but if you admit the team needs enough work to be unlikely to contend next year and roll with the risk of cheaper backups or 2 developmental QBs, the $3.5m in cap savings might allow the team to add somebody at another position.

Chris Maragos: $1.5m cap saving for a guy who doesn't shouldn't play on D.

Now a couple that might be unpopular.

Jason Peters: He's a shadow of his former self and is no better than competent now and has declined steeply over the last 2 years. Would save $6m with $3m in dead money. If the post June 1 tag was used with Peters, the saving goes to $8.3m with only $1m in dead money this year. The problem is the depth on this unit is so poor that there's no one on the roster that would be considered a potential replacement. Could be a post draft cut if they draft someone they think can play early. Might take some rough moments with a young player early, but that $$ might be used to bolster the interior OL, defensive backfield or pass rush. Probably not feasible to replace him with a FA player, the savings would be wiped out on anyone decent.

Darren Sproles: Can't argue with his contribution over the last 2 years, one of the best value trades ever but he might be a luxury they can't afford. $3.5m cap savings w/ $1m in dead money might be too much to pass up for a team which has ejected a lot of talented players over the last two offseasons and is fielding substandard starters in several positions.
Ya I'm fine with any of those 5 going. Though, I would hope maybe Ryans could stick around for less money. Having that depth was so nice, and so needed this year at the LB position. Peters/Sproles I'd like to see stick around for one more year, but could see them leaving under a new HC. If we use Murray in a more traditional role next year, I'd be fine with the other 3rbs and no Sproles if we needed the money saved. WIth OL already being a huge issue though, I'd want to keep Peters though. Even if we draft OL, we'll still be not very strong/deep there and Peters would still help a ton (even though he's not near the pro bowl caliber he once was). A lot depends on how much space we really need though to tie up Sam or Cox or other players.

Good breakdown overall though. Good to have you back.
Would it make sense to restructure Peters, Sproles and Ryans?Our team takes a hit losing any of those productive players. Yes, past prime ... yes not the future, but we are a much worse team without them. Not having Peters and Sproles will impact Sam, or another QBs, ability to be successful next year.
They can certainly ask. The player doesn't have to though.
What I mean is, will the restructing put us in a better cap position?Knowing Banner and probably Roseman, it will be to trade or cut them.
Yes, restructuring definitely will help our cap issue. We should ask most of that list to restructure, but most will probably say no. It's so weird about Peters, some think he was really bad, yet he made the friggin pro bowl. He's obviously not probowl quality but I don't think he was awful. With Oline being our #1 weekness, you can't let a guy like that walk without at least TRYING to restructure.
Which is exhibit a why the prob bowl means nothing. No one watches olinemen. So once you're declared "the best" you're voted in for several years after that barring injury.

If the Eagles are squeezing Shurmur's interview in on the the same day they are having him do all the player exit interviews, I don't think they are seriously considering him.
Why would he be doing the exit interviews? I would think that falls onto Howie or Donohue under current circumstances.

Shurmur joked that his last duty was to get the team on the buses and then safely back to Philadelphia. In reality, he will also run the exit interviews on Monday as the players clear out their lockers and head into that murky unknown.

"I'll handle that role as if I was the head coach," he said.

Then the understudy will step aside, and no one knows who will play the part next. For one week, it was Pat Shurmur. The reviews were good, but the show still closed.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20160104_Shurmur_steadies_Eagles_for_finale.html#y4IfXUSQ23SZ3rCA.99

So, Bradford's agent (Condon) is the same one as Maclin switched to that saw him leave town. I suspect we'll have to use the franchise tag as leverage to keep him here, then hopefully once it's on him, he'll sign a longer deal. regardless of coach - there aren't any better options out there. We can win and be successful with Bradford, imo.

I realize it's to my team (Skins) advantage if the Eagles don't do well, but I wouldn't wish Mike Shanahan on you guys. He's a bad coach and a financial liability to any team he coaches. His shining moments were with John Elway, and he's well past his prime. His defenses have seldom if ever been good; he hires DC's he likes and lets them perform terribly, until he himself begins to interfere with defensive strategy. Haslett never said it with the Redskins but other coaches and players did --- Haslett would set up their defensive game plan for the week, they'd practice it all week, and on Friday or Saturday Shanahan would come announce to them that they were using a different defensive strategy.

Too much is made of him being "right" about Cousins vs. Griffin. He rode Griffin to his only playoff appearance in Washington, and if he ever wanted to replace Griffin he didn't have the nads to do so despite outranking the GM in authority. 2 years later little kid Jay Gruden came in and had the nads to do it --- bench Griffin for Cousins -- so I think a good bit of the "Shanahan preferred Cousins over Griffin" story is revisionist history, something Shanahan excels at.

Shanahan's good at zone blocking offense, that's about it. A player gets in his doghouse and he does everything he can to humiliate and devalue the player, instead of speaking well of them and trading them for whatever he can get. He's just............. a bad choice as a head coach any more.

If you like arrogant guys who are never wrong, who are past their prime, and who rub people the wrong way, he's your man. I don't think the Eagles are looking for that.
Never liked him but I think a lot of that was he coached a rival. I do wonder how much friction there was with ownership while he was there though as you mention the whole Griffin/Cousins debacle. Just the fact that he took Cousins though in the same draft has to make you think he was very against RG3?

So, Bradford's agent (Condon) is the same one as Maclin switched to that saw him leave town. I suspect we'll have to use the franchise tag as leverage to keep him here, then hopefully once it's on him, he'll sign a longer deal. regardless of coach - there aren't any better options out there. We can win and be successful with Bradford, imo.
I think at this point, despite all the bashing he took, there may only be 1 or 2 eagles fans who have ever posted in here who don't want to keep Bradford here next year.

Wasnt Condon Orlando Pace's agent for all those years he was tagged?

All I remember about that was Pace showed up like 1 week before the season started.

Do not want Shanny the Elder. If Lurie thought there was too much discord with Kelly, what does he think would happen with Shanny? The 2013 Redskins were in total turmoil, and Shanny was responsible for many of the leaks to let the world know about it. That wasn't all on Snyder. Everything I've read about Shanny indicates he's just as inflexible and imperious as Kelly is. He can construct a good running game, but that's about it.

Plus, post-Elway, his choices of DCs and meddling on the defensive side of the ball have both been disastrous.

Adam Gase Scheduled Interviews:

Tuesday - Philadelphia

Wednesday - Cleveland

Thursday - Miami
Outside of the in-house guys is he the only one known to have scheduled and interview with us?
After posting I realized that pretty much all the other candidates will be in the playoffs.
Ya I think Hue and McDaniels and McDermott are really the ONLY current coordinators who will be in contention and all in playoffs.It's weird though, I remember Dan Quinn was still playing in the playoffs with Seattle but Atlanta hired him like hours after they were done. I feel like discussions do happen even if it's not allowed.
You can talk if it's a bye week. So McDermott and McDaniels may have conversations if they wish.
Then the team can work out details of an offer and contract with the agent, who can talk to the coach whenever he likes obviously. It's only direct team <-> candidate contact which is not allowed. That's how Dan Quinn had everything worked out with the Falcons and could sign as he walked out of the stadium following the Seahawks SB loss.

If they are dead set on going after a tackle in the draft then letting Peters go makes sense. With our position being 13th, its hard to count on it though. He's probably here one more year.
They've drafted for need the last two years and it hasn't worked out, although Agholor does flash some potential. I hope they go back to a BPA approach. If they do pick an OT they think can play straight away I'm fine if they let Peters go, or keep him for one more year.

Some Eagles Salary Cap Thoughts

Per the Eagles page at overthecap.com, they currently have $133m allocated against a projected cap of around $154m for 2016. Given that I believe they should franchise Bradford, at a figure of just under $20m per at least one projection that means they will have to make room under the cap for any acquisitions.

Here's a few thoughts on players they could target. All the figures I'm going to quote don't use the post June 1 designation, because if they're going to swallow dead money, I'd rather get it out of the way in one year than spread it out.

Riley Cooper: No brainer here, $2.4m dead money but frees up $2.9m.

Brent Celek: He's been a great Eagle and I love what he's done, but $5m in cap savings with no dead money cost for a declining backup TE is another no brainer.

DeMeco Ryans: $1m dead money and $3.5m cap savings for a guy who's become a deep backup. No brainer #3.

Mark Sanchez: I think he's a good backup, but if you admit the team needs enough work to be unlikely to contend next year and roll with the risk of cheaper backups or 2 developmental QBs, the $3.5m in cap savings might allow the team to add somebody at another position.

Chris Maragos: $1.5m cap saving for a guy who doesn't shouldn't play on D.

Now a couple that might be unpopular.

Jason Peters: He's a shadow of his former self and is no better than competent now and has declined steeply over the last 2 years. Would save $6m with $3m in dead money. If the post June 1 tag was used with Peters, the saving goes to $8.3m with only $1m in dead money this year. The problem is the depth on this unit is so poor that there's no one on the roster that would be considered a potential replacement. Could be a post draft cut if they draft someone they think can play early. Might take some rough moments with a young player early, but that $$ might be used to bolster the interior OL, defensive backfield or pass rush. Probably not feasible to replace him with a FA player, the savings would be wiped out on anyone decent.

Darren Sproles: Can't argue with his contribution over the last 2 years, one of the best value trades ever but he might be a luxury they can't afford. $3.5m cap savings w/ $1m in dead money might be too much to pass up for a team which has ejected a lot of talented players over the last two offseasons and is fielding substandard starters in several positions.
Ya I'm fine with any of those 5 going. Though, I would hope maybe Ryans could stick around for less money. Having that depth was so nice, and so needed this year at the LB position. Peters/Sproles I'd like to see stick around for one more year, but could see them leaving under a new HC. If we use Murray in a more traditional role next year, I'd be fine with the other 3rbs and no Sproles if we needed the money saved. WIth OL already being a huge issue though, I'd want to keep Peters though. Even if we draft OL, we'll still be not very strong/deep there and Peters would still help a ton (even though he's not near the pro bowl caliber he once was). A lot depends on how much space we really need though to tie up Sam or Cox or other players.

Good breakdown overall though. Good to have you back.
Would it make sense to restructure Peters, Sproles and Ryans?Our team takes a hit losing any of those productive players. Yes, past prime ... yes not the future, but we are a much worse team without them. Not having Peters and Sproles will impact Sam, or another QBs, ability to be successful next year.
They can certainly ask. The player doesn't have to though.
Restructuring to save cap space involves converting current year salary to signing bonus, so the player doesn't get less money (and may get more money as an incentive) so the signing bonus component is spread across the remaining contract years.

The problem with this approach is that you end up creating a bigger problem in future years than you have today, ie the player's cap figure will be even higher, and their performance likely declined even further. And all this so we can retain a player who's overpaid right now.

Teams who do this a lot end up carrying so much dead money they often have to gut the roster altogether and/or can't afford to retain the talented younger players they might have. The only time this approach is acceptable is to keep the nucleus of a Superbowl calibre team together for an extra couple of years, so not the Eagles right now.

Better just to rip off the bandaid and be done with it, IMO.

On a more related matter, I heard something on sports radio over the weekend that made sense regarding a reason to pick a 3-4 over a 4-3. It was something Chip said once that by going 3-4 you have more LBs on the team. This helps out your Special Teams be more athletic and have more splash plays as the personnel manning the STs is less big DE types and more speedy LBs. Maybe it isn't a coincidence that our STs have been so much better during the time Chip was here.
The LB thing may have something to do with it, although I'm sure there's plenty of good ST units who's teams use a 4-3. I think Dave Fipp and Sproles are the biggest factors.

The toughest thing with the 3-4 though, and why I think ours ultimately failed is that the large majority of the pass rush has to come from two players, the OLBs, and players who can set the edge, cover and consistently beat OTs 1:1 are incredibly difficult to find. We never had one in 3 years. Barwin is a really good player, but he's just an OK pass rusher. If you look at the sacks he had in 2014, he's rarely just straight up beating an OL 1:1, they mostly came through line stunts and other scheme tricks or just sheer persistence if the QB holds the ball. That's great and I'll take them, but it's not the same as having a guy who can just line up and win with a vanilla play call.

4-3 DEs who can rush are just a lot easier to find.

I thought McDaniels was a damned train wreck his first go around, but something still tells me he may end up being a good head coach
If McDaniels is ever a successful HC, he'll be the first Bellichick assistant in over a decade to do it. I just shake my head at how brilliant Bellichick is, because he's not getting help from coaches who are great on their own, the league has proved that over the years.

Think about what McDaniels did in Denver. He not only thought Tebow was an NFL starter, but worth multiple draft picks including a first rounder, after having coached Tom Brady. If that's what he knows about the QB position, Boston isn't far enough away from the team for me.

Then when he got fired in Denver, he didn't go out in the league and get a job where he could continue to develop and prove himself. He ran straight back to Daddy. No thanks.

I thought McDaniels was a damned train wreck his first go around, but something still tells me he may end up being a good head coach
If McDaniels is ever a successful HC, he'll be the first Bellichick assistant in over a decade to do it. I just shake my head at how brilliant Bellichick is, because he's not getting help from coaches who are great on their own, the league has proved that over the years.

Think about what McDaniels did in Denver. He not only thought Tebow was an NFL starter, but worth multiple draft picks including a first rounder, after having coached Tom Brady. If that's what he knows about the QB position, Boston isn't far enough away from the team for me.

Then when he got fired in Denver, he didn't go out in the league and get a job where he could continue to develop and prove himself. He ran straight back to Daddy. No thanks.
Preach*Tebow might have been pushed on him. He came in and guys were demanding trades. Keep that in mind too.

Was just discussing this with a buddy. Patricia's names came up (NE DC), and we rattled off several of the old coordinators who coached under Belichick, and couldn't think of one real good example where it worked out.

Weiss, Crennel, McDaniels, Mangini...buyer beware.

ETA I guess the best would be Bill O'Brien?

Was just discussing this with a buddy. Patricia's names came up (NE DC), and we rattled off several of the old coordinators who coached under Belichick, and couldn't think of one real good example where it worked out.Weiss, Crennell, McDaniels, Mangini...buyer beware.
Try to replicate Bellichick all you want. It doesn't work without Tom Brady.

The LB thing may have something to do with it, although I'm sure there's plenty of good ST units who's teams use a 4-3. I think Dave Fipp and Sproles are the biggest factors.
According to Footballoutsiders.com (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst) Philly had the #9 ranked ST unit. The top 8 all ran a base 4-3.

I want Hugh Jackson. I think he fits philly perfectly. Hopefully he gets a good DC. I think Jackson could get a lot out the talent on offense currently here. I don't hold his time in Oakland against him. Didn't he actually have. .500 record? Not bad considering how dysfunctional that org has been.

I want Hugh Jackson. I think he fits philly perfectly. Hopefully he gets a good DC. I think Jackson could get a lot out the talent on offense currently here. I don't hold his time in Oakland against him. Didn't he actually have. .500 record? Not bad considering how dysfunctional that org has been.
Oakland has had 15 seasons in a row w/o a winning record. 13 losing seasons and 2 .500 records.

Hue was the OC in 2010 and HC in 2011, the two years they were .500. He was fired after Al died, and new ownership brought in Reggie McKenzie and gutted the staff.

His big move was giving up a 1/2 for Palmer, who was holding out in CIN. He was traded mid season and played half a year for Oakland before Hue got canned.

Oakland has had 15 seasons in a row w/o a winning record. 13 losing seasons and 2 .500 records. Hue was the OC in 2010 and HC in 2011, the two years they were .500. He was fired after Al died, and new ownership brought in Reggie McKenzie and gutted the staff.

His big move was giving up a 1/2 for Palmer, who was holding out in CIN. He was traded mid season and played half a year for Oakland before Hue got canned.
I think Hue and Bradford could be a nice combo no? He's done well with Dalton and I think Bradford is AT LEAST the equal of him.

Oakland has had 15 seasons in a row w/o a winning record. 13 losing seasons and 2 .500 records. Hue was the OC in 2010 and HC in 2011, the two years they were .500. He was fired after Al died, and new ownership brought in Reggie McKenzie and gutted the staff.

I think Hue and Bradford could be a nice combo no? He's done well with Dalton and I think Bradford is AT LEAST the equal of him.
IDK what to make of Hue. Interesting article here post-Oak firing giving some detail into what kind of coach he was and players' perspectives on him: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jackson-says-raiders-owner-made-011200648--nfl.html

Wouldn't have a problem with it, as he's had success as position coach/OC everywhere he has been.

Lurie set to interview Marone after Gase. Yuck. No thanks.

According to Footballoutsiders.com (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst) Philly had the #9 ranked ST unit. The top 8 all ran a base 4-3.
wow, that debunked Chip's theory haha.

IDK what to make of Hue. Interesting article here post-Oak firing giving some detail into what kind of coach he was and players' perspectives on him.

Wouldn't have a problem with it, as he's had success as position coach/OC everywhere he has been.

Don't love Jackson... think its just a boring hire. But I'd be fine with it. I've cooled down a lot on McDermott, Shurmur, and McDaniels over the last day. I still really want Gase, he's been my #1 want since day 1.

It will be weird though, they pretty much have to offer him the job tomorrow without even kicking the tires on the other guys. I guess if we do hire him tomorrow, that means he blew us away. Can't remember if he had many interviews last year and knows the process or not. Just hope our FO is prepared to blow him away and not want him to leave.

I'm coming around on Shurmur, actually. Given the turmoil of the past offseason - I think he'd bring some stability and continuity to the group - he'll be familiar with everyone, no learning curve getting to know the players. As long as he doesn't retain Billy Davis, of course...

Mighty Mice said:
Don't see the appeal of Marone, but I'd still prefer him to Josh McDaniels.

Todd Haley had his problems in K.C and was kind of Chip Kelly light but he overcame some obstacles in Pitt and is now a fan favorite when even Big Ben didn't want him intially. Great passing game and Hall had an amazing year as a backup when everyone thought he was washed up. Don't see why we don't at least bring him in for an interview.

Todd Haley had his problems in K.C and was kind of Chip Kelly light but he overcame some obstacles in Pitt and is now a fan favorite when even Big Ben didn't want him intially. Great passing game and Hall had an amazing year as a backup when everyone thought he was washed up. Don't see why we don't at least bring him in for an interview.
Hell no

Hell no
Yeah...uh...no.
It took him years. Years. To figure out Jamal charles was the best rb in kc. He's got top notch talent in pitt. He is nothing special.

Hell no
Yeah...uh...no.
He's known to be very surly. Another coach that players don't like. I remember Anquan Boldin wanting to rip his head off on the sidelines a few years back when they were in Arizona. Can't see Philly bringing in another guy the players won't like.

Sean McDermott would be a welcome addition in my opinion. He's on 975 the fanatic right now and, man he gets it. Interesting sidenote, since McDermitt became defensive Cordinator and Carolina five years ago they're the only team to finish in the top 10 defensively each year since.

Sean McDermott would be a welcome addition in my opinion. He's on 975 the fanatic right now and, man he gets it. Interesting sidenote, since McDermitt became defensive Cordinator and Carolina five years ago they're the only team to finish in the top 10 defensively each year since.
Yes!! Just wrapping up! Man I'd take him with Shermerbas OC and keep Bradford. This would be awesome. Just think about what Kurt Coleman was here and what he's done in Carolina.

Yes!! Just wrapping up! Man I'd take him with Shermerbas OC and keep Bradford. This would be awesome. Just think about what Kurt Coleman was here and what he's done in Carolina.
I agree. That's a combination I'd be happy with. Was listening to a few players last night and they all seem to like Shermer. Not sure McDermott wouldn't have his own guy in mind for OC, but the prospect of McDermott/Shermer/Bradford being here next year is exciting.

Heard it as well. It started as I was getting in my car and they were wrapping up as I was getting to the office parking lot. Great interview and was very impressive. As they pointed out on the show, it sounded like McDermott was speaking directly to Lurie. He hit all the main points about being a players' coach and being personable. And I liked how he mentioned the Schuikill Expressway and I-95 (hey Jeff! I'm a Philly guy. wink wink).

Users who are viewing this thread