What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Curious Case of Eric Bieniemy (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
I never like to play anyone in the NFL as a victim but Bieniemy is starting to enter some rare air around the NFL, it's mind boggling.
My first question is why was Bieniemy not discussed in any circles of the 8 teams that hired a new HC this off season?
He has been at the top of the charts for years and studied under Andy Reid, does he just come across as lifeless or a nit whit when they interview him?
EB is not let go but when the Head Coach is fired or released, you gotta think that your job as OC or *** t HC or whatever, your time there is over.

Was Eric trying to interview at any of the 8 teams?
Many of the jobs around the NFL have been filled already, even many Asst Coaches.
I am pretty sure the title of Asst Head Coach is not an automatic on every NFL team, in Miami I don't think we have one of those.
Some teams have them and some don't so it feels like when something like this happens that one of the 32 teams steps out and says come on over, we'll find a spot for you on staff.
I assume Eric B can find a spot to land but this has to be frustrating and I would liek to know why he isn't given the same opp as others.
Especially when Raheem Morris is introduced for his 2nd tour of duty in Atlanta

-It's good to see D.C. is changing the culture over there post-Snyder

I have no insider knowledge, but I think while EB's passion is admirable I'm not sure he's ever proven himself as a good play caller. Clearly Reid was the main guy in KC, and his play calling was pretty awful in Washington. Why he never utilized the run game with a raw QB I'll never understand, and the fact that he couldn't seem to get the balls to his 2 best WRs when he was passing was worrisome. You should be able to scheme to use your best players, and Dotson was just an afterthought in this offense. That's pretty sad when you consider how productive he was last year as a rookie. I think this past year was a really important audition for his future and I think he failed miserably. But I truly wish the guy the best, but as a Washington fan I'm glad we moved on.

Here is the part I think is wrong, all these openings were happening and since Rivera was fired, a guy that has been an Asst HC, OC, he has a solid resume, he should have been given the courtesy of a pink slip along with Rivera, WTH?!

All these teams with open jobs have been doing interviews since early January
It's a disservice to Bieniemy, Are you telling me the guy from Tampa Bay that took the job in Carolina was a better candidate?
At the same time I want to know what the bleep Eric Bieniemy is doing just waiting around for Dan Quinn to fire him!

-I've also heard that teams prosper when they hire minority candidates and then they jettison for head coaching jobs which is one of the reasons Phins fans are excited about this new guy Weaver from Baltimore. He seems to be a fairly well thought of Asst Coach and if he excels in Miami and in 2025 lands a Head Coaching job, Miami will get at least 1 compensatory pick. With that as a guideline I would bet that a team like Carolina that needs more draft picks would have been all too happy to at least interview him for a spot on the staff. Maybe they still will

It's baffling to me how he ends up in this spot and yet I don't understand why he didn't demand his release from DC

Let's unpack this BS story by Schefter on ESPN

The Washington Commanders fired offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy after one season with the team, coach Dan Quinn said during his introductory news conference.
-That is a load of horse ****. WC did not fire him, Dan Quinn fired him. Why would they have waited until they introduce Quinn as HC to fire EB?
Plus they had EB listed as the OC even as they hired Donald Duck, sorry Kliff Kingsbury as the OC, he did such a great job in Arizona, who else was going to hire KK?

Bieniemy was considered a long shot to return, but the move became official when Washington hired Kliff Kingsbury as offensive coordinator Sunday night. Quinn said he delivered the news to Bieniemy in person Monday.
-Give me a break! EB was not waiting around to meet with Dan Quinn on Monday and be shocked they were firing him, he already knew on Sunday when they announced KK

And finally this load of horse **** from Quinn...
"We won't work together here," Quinn said, "[but] I wanted him to know I really respect the work he's done. I wish him nothing but the best."
-If Quinn fired him which is what he did then the truth is "we won't work together here or anywhere for that matter" and "I don't respect EB but I have to say I do and wish him nothing but the best even though I think he's a terrible NFL coach"

Just be honest about it
If I were a player on the DC team I would be very nervous about anything that Dan Quinn starts saying in the first meeting or whenever he starts addressing his players
Guy is a complete liar and was the scapegoat in Dallas for much of their woes this season
The Ministry wants to send a special congrats to DQ on his new job, wish him nothing but the best...in the cellar or last place where they belong.

New ownership really getting off on the right foot here, they botched this hiring and process up pretty good.
In 3 years when Quinn is unemployed, I hope EB has an opening that's perfect for Quinn and announces in the media that "We won't work together here"

Bienemy is abrasive. People don't like working with abrasive in any industry.

Bienemy needs to look in the mirror.
Yep.

When your head coach is the face of the organization and has to do all the press conferences every week.....you do not hire Eric Bienenemy.

EB clearly does not play politics and looks like he does not have the skill set to change his attitude and communications skills for different audiences. And that's ok - he is who he is.

He just isn't a head coach. I would love the Chiefs to bring him back next year as the team ***-kicker.

RG III.on twitter
Eric Bieniemy not being a Head Coach after 2 Super Bowls and 7 straight AFC West titles in Kansas City is STILL BAFFLING. Then he got Charlie Brown’d by people saying he needed to run his own offense and goes to a Washington staff on its last breath. He should have never left KC.

RG III.on twitter
Eric Bieniemy not being a Head Coach after 2 Super Bowls and 7 straight AFC West titles in Kansas City is STILL BAFFLING. Then he got Charlie Brown’d by people saying he needed to run his own offense and goes to a Washington staff on its last breath. He should have never left KC.
RG111 Is 100 percent wrong. EB needs to look in his own mirror. Period. It's as if Andy Reid just stands around yelling "Koolaid..OH YEAH!" on Sundays.

RG III.on twitter
As a Bears fan who had to deal with Nagy, it's very clear the success in KC is all the Andy and Mahomes connection. I'm not surprised Bienemy isn't a head coach.

No one on the inside is surprised. People on the outside looking in might be but they don't make the decisions.

I've always been a fan of Bienemy, going all the way back to his Colorado days. (I've also always hated the "My grandmother could be OC for that HC/QB" argument. No she couldn't, because Reid and Mahomes want someone who can be a partner and help them achieve greatness). I was bummed when the Lions hired Campbell over him, which was pretty dumb of me in retrospect. And even though I knew the Washington thing was probably a one-year deal, I was hopeful he could at least show something that would finally get him a HC role. But even in the context of reduced expectations, Washington had a pretty bad season. Howell failing to develop was bad, if expected. But the regression in the entire offense (other than Robinson) was honestly kind of shocking. As for his personality, I don't think any of us know what's actually going on in an NFL locker room, but it does sound like he rubbed some people the wrong way.

At this point, the best option is probably that he catch on somewhere and start rebuilding his rep. Funny that MOP mentions Morris. He got a HC job way too early, but over the past decade he's worked with a bunch of great coaches and been beloved by his players, and has gained a ton of respect, which eventually helped him get another shot. EB could probably learn something from his example

I'd rather have Quinn as my HC than Bienemy. I'd take all 32 HCs over Bienemy personally, and several guys who weren't hired this cycle as well.

I think the media gives Bienemy FAR too much credit for anything KC accomplished while he was there, and I think the NFL is representing that fact. I thought he was atrocious as a play caller in Washington this season, as a bad as any in the NFL.

Forget head coach, I wouldn't really want him as my OC, unless the HC is the one calling all the plays. So, in that regard, KC was probably his best-case scenario, and honestly, I thought Matt Nagy (and this is coming from a Bears fan) was an upgrade for KC. He had a big hand in developing Isiah Pacheco and especially Rashee Rice. Who developed under Bienemy in recent years? Pretty much everyone in Washington took a step back, especially Jahan Dotson.

My guess is he just interviews horribly. Maybe shows up shirtless and shouts every answer.
Many forms of interviewing poorly. I have no idea if that is true about him, but if he was much younger I could see being rejected for using the word “like” out of context every fifth word.

Jokes aside, it has to be something with his personality and / or his communication skills, because he’s been a guy on the radar for years.

The logic:: if someone white and bad at being a HC such as Josh McDaniels gets two cracks at it, why does the league not owe the same chance to another bad HC candidate in EB, simply because he has a similar looking resume and is black? :: is flawed.

How is that very clear? The NFL is full of head coaches who were part of a staff for 1 year/college coaches who rode the back of a good recruiting class and got hired. You'd think a guy who coached in a championship organization for almost a decade learning the ropes and elevating himself to OC who shared playcalling would get a sniff.

Maybe he doesn't have "connections in the right places" or "is gruff with players"... until you see his references are the Chiefs' players and Andy Reid, who all love him and you hear no complaints about his coaching style there. Washington Commanders complained he worked them hard? Welcome to Culture Building 101. He should have to start over to "rebuild his rep" when huis success is far greater than some of the retreads who are getting hired now.

RG III.on twitter
He didn’t get Charlie Brown’d. He left to run his own offense and while the reasons may be plenty, the team offense was worse in 2023 than it was before he got there. In other words, he set out on his own and didn’t succeed.

I don’t personally know that he is abrasive, but the pre-season stories about him being “harsh” in Washington “instructing” his players and then EB saying he was hard-nosed and would not change, got my attention.
He may be a good coach, but in KC, he had a better play caller and situation schemer in Andy Reid and one of the best QBs in Mahomes, and he decided it wasn’t enough for him. Bad decision to leave, unless it wasn’t his choice.
Then, he chose to go to Washington where his HC was not in the best situation, he had much less coaching support and much less talented players at a spot to prove himself was a worse choice.
Then early on, the his way or the highway tough love was a poor choice.
He probably could have left earlier along with Rivera, but likely mistakenly thought himself a HC possibility in Washington and did not realize he had no shot.
I don’t see Quinn as lying to the media, just trying not to punish EB further.

My theory going back several years is because he would not stand up to media scrutiny. He was involved in some nasty stuff at Colorado, as a player, and as an assistant.

These teams run background checks.

They don't want have the opening press conference to be about rape charges from when Bienemy was recruiting at CO. Or about the female parking attendant that he threatened, resulting in a one year ban from the campus.

The logic:: if someone white and bad at being a HC such as Josh McDaniels gets two cracks at it, why does the league not owe the same chance to another bad HC candidate in EB, simply because he has a similar looking resume and is black? :: is flawed.
Josh McDaniels wasn't only a terrible head coach he wrangled GM power and traded UP for Tim Tebow and still got another NFL head coaching job. White and Christian, an NFL owner wet dream.
My theory going back several years is because he would not stand up to media scrutiny. He was involved in some nasty stuff at Colorado, as a player, and as an assistant.

They don't want have the opening press conference to be about rape charges from when Bienemy was recruiting at CO. Or about the female parking attendant that he threatened, resulting in a one year ban from the campus.
Rape?
Dude don't even.... EB had nothing to do with Katie Hnida at all. For you to even INSIUATE that he had ANYTHING to do with it proves YOU are a POS. Seriously you are a POS to make that accusation by proxy.
Yeah, a DUI from over 20 years ago and an assault/harassment charge from 1993 when he was still a student at CU from over 30 years ago just doesn't cut it considering the crap head coaches that have been hired over EB and run their franchises down. Plenty of NFL players are utter pieces OS but play well. See Micah Parsons who sexually assaulted teammates for fun in the locker room in college and that wasn't thirty plus years ago, it was 2020. In the NFL he's gotten in trouble for sexually insensitive tweets and for punching another NFL player so obviously he's a gem of a person not some POS who plays well so everyone looks away.
But yeah, EB shouldn't get an NFL HC job because of an incident over 30 years ago. Oh and he's black and SHORT and FAT but that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with it.

Ever hear of an NFL head coach called Bill Belichick?
The guy that couldn't win without Brady and currently finds himself without a job?

Sounds kinda like Bienemy without Mahomes.

If Washington did not want him after a year on staff and getting to know him and observe him first hand there is an issue.

Working on a staff for a year, showing what you are about as a coach in person is a much better interview than sitting in a room talking for 2 hours.

Rape?
Dude don't even.... EB had nothing to do with Katie Hnida at all. For you to even INSIUATE that he had ANYTHING to do with it proves YOU are a POS. Seriously you are a POS to make that accusation by proxy.
Yeah, a DUI from over 20 years ago and an assault/harassment charge from 1993 when he was still a student at CU from over 30 years ago just doesn't cut it considering the crap head coaches that have been hired over EB and run their franchises down. Plenty of NFL players are utter pieces OS but play well. See Micah Parsons who sexually assaulted teammates for fun in the locker room in college and that wasn't thirty plus years ago, it was 2020. In the NFL he's gotten in trouble for sexually insensitive tweets and for punching another NFL player so obviously he's a gem of a person not some POS who plays well so everyone looks away.
But yeah, EB shouldn't get an NFL HC job because of an incident over 30 years ago. Oh and he's black and SHORT and FAT but that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with it.
Oh, man. It's been proven I am a POS?

When a guy gets passed over for a year or two, I'm open to the suggestion that perhaps a few teams are misjudging a guy. When that same guy is passed over year after year after year, despite what looks like a wonderful resume, I assume there's an excellent reason why he's being passed over. As another poster noted, teams do background checks, and not the $50 variety offered by some online vendor. There's a very high likelihood that they know what they're doing and people posting on a message board don't.

I was wondering how long it would be before someone would insinuate the reason EB didn't get hired was because he was black - in a year where half of the head coaching vacancies were filled by minorities.
I’m sure some desperately want to play the race card, but as you said, “half of the head coaching vacancies were filled by minorities “. So, there has to be something about him that rubs teams the wrong way and the color of his skin isn’t it.

Im curious, how many of the head coaches, OC, and DC are minorities? What percentage are you happy with?

Last edited:
I'd rather have Quinn as my HC than Bienemy. I'd take all 32 HCs over Bienemy personally, and several guys who weren't hired this cycle as well.

I think the media gives Bienemy FAR too much credit for anything KC accomplished while he was there, and I think the NFL is representing that fact. I thought he was atrocious as a play caller in Washington this season, as a bad as any in the NFL.

Forget head coach, I wouldn't really want him as my OC, unless the HC is the one calling all the plays. So, in that regard, KC was probably his best-case scenario, and honestly, I thought Matt Nagy (and this is coming from a Bears fan) was an upgrade for KC. He had a big hand in developing Isiah Pacheco and especially Rashee Rice. Who developed under Bienemy in recent years? Pretty much everyone in Washington took a step back, especially Jahan Dotson.
That's fine but then DC should have fired him or released him along with Rivera to give EB an opportunity to interview at BOTH the Pro and College level. Maybe he needs to step down into the college ranks which he could with his rather lengthy pro resume.

At the very least his alma mater and one Deion Sanders I imagine would find a spot for him and let him reshape himself
I find the whole thing odd and I appreciate your post Trav

I was wondering how long it would be before someone would insinuate the reason EB didn't get hired was because he was black - in a year where half of the head coaching vacancies were filled by minorities.
I’m sure some desperately want to play the race card, but as you said, “half of the head coaching vacancies were filled by minorities “. So, there has to be something about him that rubs teams the wrong way and the color of his skin isn’t it.

Im curious, how many of the head coaches, OC, and DC are minorities? What percentage are you happy with?
I didn't know if you actually meant me specifically but I'll answer anyway - I'm happy when qualified people get the jobs they've earned.

I thought it was really awesome seeing Demeco Ryans do well. From all accounts, he was quickly rising up the coaching ranks because he was, in fact, a really good coach. That he's black is pretty incidental to me.

I also recognize that it is NOT incidental to a whole lot of people. If it inspires other black (or any, really) aspiring coaches because he "looks like them" - that's a great thing. I'm 100% behind removing barriers to individual achievement.

How is that very clear? The NFL is full of head coaches who were part of a staff for 1 year/college coaches who rode the back of a good recruiting class and got hired. You'd think a guy who coached in a championship organization for almost a decade learning the ropes and elevating himself to OC who shared playcalling would get a sniff.

Maybe he doesn't have "connections in the right places" or "is gruff with players"... until you see his references are the Chiefs' players and Andy Reid, who all love him and you hear no complaints about his coaching style there. Washington Commanders complained he worked them hard? Welcome to Culture Building 101. He should have to start over to "rebuild his rep" when huis success is far greater than some of the retreads who are getting hired now.
Well said Frank, thank you

May as well be in the yahoo comment sections with these types of threads. Embarrassing content from FBG.
What are you talking about? Are you saying the thread topic is horrific?
I'd like to think we do a good job around here of deep diving and I actually did not know anything about some of these EB stories going back to Colorado
Thank You @massraider because I never heard about a parking lot attendant or a 1 year ban from campus.
We're just trying to get down to the root of the issue which I find rather unique and there are members of the media defending Bieniemy

Josh McDaniels wasn't only a terrible head coach he wrangled GM power and traded UP for Tim Tebow and still got another NFL head coaching job. White and Christian, an NFL owner wet dream.

Rape?
(Add cayenne pepper)

TY Bracie, i liked your 1st post as well. I can understand where Mass is coming from but I might have overlooked the word rape which you highlighted. I don't think we want to go down this road either, appreciate you pointing out the proxie link. Also understand that some folks play connect the dots, maybe this isn't the right case but I don't fault males that champion women and believe them when they speak up in life.

I don't want to derail the thread but it's possible teams are aware of these issues and it holds EB back. We do have to think about what the PR is when you hire a coach
Most of the guys hired this year have very little controversy surrounding them, almost vanilla to a degree.

Ever hear of an NFL head coach called Bill Belichick?
The guy that couldn't win without Brady and currently finds himself without a job?

Sounds kinda like Bienemy without Mahomes.

If Washington did not want him after a year on staff and getting to know him and observe him first hand there is an issue.

Working on a staff for a year, showing what you are about as a coach in person is a much better interview than sitting in a room talking for 2 hours.
But the issue is Dan Quinn fired him.
You think you might be a HC candidate and then the next thing is the guy that interviewed and is hired walks right in and fires you
I also feel like EB was incredibly naive to think he was staying on with D.C.

Plus as I have come to lean, if teams hire a minority candidate as an Asst or OC/DC and they move on and become a head coach, the team that hired him as the assistant, they get at least 1 extra draft pick, not sure if that's a 3rd, 4th, etc but the incentive is there to hire them and be rewarded.
There is a flip side to this coin which I'm not going to start discussing but if I were an NFL owner I would want to take advantage of this NFL guideline or rule.
If you have 2 candidates, both well qualified and you like both of them but one is a minority that you stand to gain a draft pick in a season or two, what would you do?

That's not the issue. Bienemy had no reason to expect to keep his job, and he knew that. There were no stories about Washington stopping him from interviewing anywhere. He was under contract, WAS maybe even figured he was a emergency choice at HC.

Not sure why you think Quinn letting him go is a scandal.

That's not the issue. Bienemy had no reason to expect to keep his job, and he knew that. There were no stories about Washington stopping him from interviewing anywhere. He was under contract, WAS maybe even figured he was a emergency choice at HC.

Not sure why you think Quinn letting him go is a scandal.
Who said it's a scandal?
I've been defending you in here because I think there is merit to some of your POV

-D.C. should have had the stones to cut him with Rivera, EB should have had the stones to resign and start interviewing all over the place.
I'm sure EB is going to land on his feet, many teams can create positions which is how I feel about the "Asst Head Coach" position which is a made up spot on the staff
Not all 32 NFL teams have that designation on their coaching staff.

Plus as I have come to lean, if teams hire a minority candidate as an Asst or OC/DC and they move on and become a head coach, the team that hired him as the assistant, they get at least 1 extra draft pick, not sure if that's a 3rd, 4th, etc but the incentive is there to hire them and be rewarded.
There is a flip side to this coin which I'm not going to start discussing but if I were an NFL owner I would want to take advantage of this NFL guideline or rule.
If you have 2 candidates, both well qualified and you like both of them but one is a minority that you stand to gain a draft pick in a season or two, what would you do?
No offense but offering draft picks for minority hires is dumb and discriminating. Best person for the job should always be the focus. I don’t have the stats but it seems to me there has been a lot of minority hires in the NFL.

McDaniels was a Super Bowl winning play caller. Bienemy is/was not. I think he took the Washington job because there weren't better offers among teams offering play calling duties. I think Bienemy thought if he could turn around that offense, that it'd open some doors for him to advance up the ranks, something that wasn't happening as Reid's 2nd. Unfortunately for him, he bombed completely.

That's fine but then DC should have fired him or released him along with Rivera to give EB an opportunity to interview at BOTH the Pro and College level. Maybe he needs to step down into the college ranks which he could with his rather lengthy pro resume.

At the very least his alma mater and one Deion Sanders I imagine would find a spot for him and let him reshape himself
I find the whole thing odd and I appreciate your post Trav
Its possible Quinn may have wanted him as OC if other candidates said no. I mean, Kingsbury seemed headed to the Raiders before he surprisingly withdrew his name. Also possible Bienemy wants nothing to do with the college game again.

I think Bienemy's best bet is probably going back to KC, in that "Assistant Head Coach" role.

No offense but offering draft picks for minority hires is dumb and discriminating. Best person for the job should always be the focus. I don’t have the stats but it seems to me there has been a lot of minority hires in the NFL.
All that said, Miami has minorities in place at DC and Head Coach, I'd be fine if they created an Asst HC spot for EB so if we lose any coaches we at least are compensated for it.
I don't make the rules JU, just exploit them
I'm not disagreeing with your POV, but since the rule is in place and Miami has been docked a 1st and another 3rd in this upcoming 2024 Draft, it would be nice to get a couple of them back even if not until next off season and beyond

-D.C. should have had the stones to cut him with Rivera, EB should have had the stones to resign and start interviewing all over the place.
I'm sure EB is going to land on his feet, many teams can create positions which is how I feel about the "Asst Head Coach" position which is a made up spot on the staff
Not all 32 NFL teams have that designation on their coaching staff.

MoP--As I understand it, Bienemy was the only Commander assistant coach under contract for the 2024 season; all the other assistants' contracts run through the end of the league year. So I think those guys may actually still be around Ashburn/Redskins Park (or could be). It's possible that any one of them could have been retained, but highly unlikely. Eric Bienemy has been around long enough to know he was in the same boat, contract status non-withstanding. That's why its so curious he didn't get any interviews for HC or coordinator...hard to imagine that the team would block him. It solves everyone's issue if he's hired away from a team that really doesn't want him anymore

I have no opinion one way or the other on him (besides cursing Chris Berman for permanently lodging that stupid nickname in my head), but can't help but reflect on the Commander's offensive stats against the woeful Giants: 13 points per game, 338 ypg, 7 total turnovers and 10 sacks allowed.

Taking out games vs. Washington, the Giants defense averaged 25 ppg against, 365 ypg against and generated a total of 24 turnovers and 24 (!) sacks.

Wink Martindale runs a pretty predictable defense, and seemingly Bienemy was one of the few OCs who couldn't figure it out, even after seeing it once.

Neither he, nor Rivera or anyone else associated with that pathetic franchise was put in a good position to win. But unfortunately Bienemy's performance was unable to overcome that challenge and change what appears to be a league-wide narrative about his capabilities.

RG III.on twitter

RG3 is a guy people should never listen to. He sounds smarter than he is. Listen to what he says rather than the polished way he says it. It's pretty obvious he is looking for conflict and pushes made up agendas. He's right EB made a mistake coming to WAS. But that's on EB.

I have no idea why EB hasn't gotten more looks. But he has gotten looks, and they've passed on him. And he did poorly in WAS.

WAS maybe should have fired him with Ron. But what if all the OCs were taken? Or the HC they picked had a relationship with EB? It's what comes with signing a multi-year contract. EB had no say in the matter.

RG3 is a guy people should never listen to. He sounds smarter than he is. Listen to what he says rather than the polished way he says it. It's pretty obvious he is looking for conflict and pushes made up agendas. He's right EB made a mistake coming to WAS. But that's on EB.
Yep.

It's not a scandal because RGIII tweets that it is.

Users who are viewing this thread