What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vontaze Burfict - nobody wins (1 Viewer)

Whom did it negatively affect most?

• Bengals fans

Votes: 60 43.8%
  • Steelers fans

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • NFL football fans

Votes: 31 22.6%
  • His own family

Votes: 27 19.7%

• Total voters
How long is the NFL going to keep allowing this guy to run around cheap-shotting people? You can't fart near a QB any more because of "player safety" (read : the NFL doesn't want star players injured for TV ratings reasons) but this jackwagon can continue to throw forearms at players' (stars') heads? Kick him the hell out of the league already. He's out there to injure people, plain and simple. 

He belongs with the Syracuse Bulldogs on a line with Oglethorpe and McCracken, not in today's NFL. 

When does the NFL dole out fines for the week?  This dude should get suspended again due to his history of cheap shots.

Evilgrin 72 said:
How long is the NFL going to keep allowing this guy to run around cheap-shotting people? You can't fart near a QB any more because of "player safety" (read : the NFL doesn't want star players injured for TV ratings reasons) but this jackwagon can continue to throw forearms at players' (stars') heads? Kick him the hell out of the league already. He's out there to injure people, plain and simple. 

He belongs with the Syracuse Bulldogs on a line with Oglethorpe and McCracken, not in today's NFL. 
A+ on the reference

He'd play defenseman for the Bulldogs, right alongside:

"Here's a name for you nostalgia fans: Clarence "Screaming Buffalo" Swamptown. I'll never forget an exclusive interview in which Swamptown revealed that he calls his hockey stick the "Big Tomahawk," and he usually refers to the opposing players as "the little scalps.[5]"

—Jim Carr, Charlestown Chiefs play-by-play announcer describing Clarence Swamptown, the character that was played by Joe Nolan in Slap Shot

Nice work, EG!

When does the NFL dole out fines for the week?  This dude should get suspended again due to his history of cheap shots.
No dog in fight but honestly that did not seem bad.  We watch these plays in slo-motion.  At game speed if Brown does not lower at least split second he hits him in shoulder area. Anyone else and that is just incidental contact.

It was definitely a cheap shot that I could see in full speed that should have drawn a flag.  Took his own guy out too.

No dog in fight but honestly that did not seem bad.  We watch these plays in slo-motion.  At game speed if Brown does not lower at least split second he hits him in shoulder area. Anyone else and that is just incidental contact.
I’m not sure you’ve seen a lot of Burfict over the last 7 years. It’s one thing if that happens once, it’s another thing when it’s the 97th time it’s happened. 

The next snap, while AB was in the tent undergoing concussion tests, Burfict pointed at JuJu and purportedly yelled : "You're next !"

He was making absolutely no attempt to tackle Brown - he saw that he was stopped and threw an elbow/shoulder right to his helmet.  He was TRYING to concuss Brown, nothing else.

If the league cares a lick about player safety, Burfict is staring down the barrel of another suspension.  What he did was way more egregious than the hit on Burfict himself that got Smith-Schuster suspended a game last year.  That was JuJu's first offense, this is Burfict's what... 5th?  6th?  This guy is out there blatantly trying to injure people, he doesn't even hide it.

But it's not anyone else, its the current dirtiest player in the NFL coming off a 4 game suspensions  He should get zero benefit of the doubt and the maximum number of games allowed for repeat offenders.

Sorry Steeler fans, Vontez is a dirty player, but that wasn't excessive IMO. I guess he could've just dove at AB's knees instead - would that be better?

Sorry Steeler fans, Vontez is a dirty player, but that wasn't excessive IMO. I guess he could've just dove at AB's knees instead - would that be better?
What would have been better would have been to either pull up or just tackle him rather than whipping his forearm/shoulder directly into his helmet.  He wasn't trying to get him down, he was trying to blast him in the head.  This is precisely what the league wants to avoid - it knows the CTE lawsuits are coming en masse and when they do, it's end of pro football as we know it.

I guess all that matters is the end result, if Brown had been knocked out of the game with a concussion, it would have been a lead story this morning and Burfict would be getting suspended.  Instead, Brown came back into the game so all is forgiven, right?  No harm, no foul?  This is a frigging clown show.  It's painfully obvious that he was intentionally trying to injure one of the league's stars, AGAIN, but by all means let him keep doing it. Maybe next time, he'll be more successful.

From the article :

For his career, Burfict has missed 10 games due to suspension (six for violating on-field safety rules) and fined more than $295,000.

If the latest dirty move simply results in another middling fine, it's unlikely Burfict will change his playing style.

Reap what you sow, NFL.  Maybe next time, he'll ring Tom Brady's bell and knock him out for a few weeks, let's see what happens then.

So I guess not calling the illegal pick on the game winning TD was a make up call?

Nice pick
One has to do with game itself and the other is dirty, cheap and dangerous.  Refs missing a pick, hold, block in the back is apples compared to the oranges of ridiculous dirty play by Burfict.

Ahhhh, the tried-and-true "change the argument" move.  Well played, sir.
OK, you got me - I should never have responded at all and left you to scream at the moon.  I just don't have a lot of patience for whiny, the refs are out to get us posts.  The refs might have missed a call, and Burfict is a dirty player.  The Steelers have also had dirty players (Ryan Clark, Mike Mitchell are two off the top of my head).  My point is that the refs have missed many calls that have gone the Steelers way - like the game winning TD yesterday.  It's just the way the NFL is.  I'm moving on - nothing personal.    

OK, you got me - I should never have responded at all and left you to scream at the moon.  I just don't have a lot of patience for whiny, the refs are out to get us posts.  The refs might have missed a call, and Burfict is a dirty player.  The Steelers have also had dirty players (Ryan Clark, Mike Mitchell are two off the top of my head).  My point is that the refs have missed many calls that have gone the Steelers way - like the game winning TD yesterday.  It's just the way the NFL is.  I'm moving on - nothing personal.    

So I guess not calling the illegal pick on the game winning TD was a make up call?

Nice pick

This aside, I never said word one about the refs missing the call.  Refs miss calls all the time.  I'm complaining that Burfict is a dirty player that is out there intentionally trying to injure people.  I know he's done it to more than just Steelers, I just only watch Cincy games when they're playing Pittsburgh, so that's when I see it first hand.  I'm saying the NFL should sit him down for an extended period of time.  Steelers don't play Cincy again until week 17, so it likely wouldn't affect my team either way.  But it's the only way he'll ever stop (and even that hasn't been enough so far.)

I'm worried about the future of tackle football, period.  When the CTE suits start coming (and they ARE coming..), it's going to decimate the NFL.  The headhunting has to stop, these guys are way too big and too fast to be popping one another in the head.  Now that we know about the danger of concussions and the horrific after-effects of CTE, the league needs to be trying to do whatever it can to legislate head shots out of the game.  Horrific injuries are going to happen even when dirty play isn't involved (Shazier) - they need to stop people from intentionally trying to concuss other players.  That's very clearly what Burfict was doing here and by not suspending him, they're granting tacit approval of his play.  That's dangerous.

This aside, I never said word one about the refs missing the call.  Refs miss calls all the time.  I'm complaining that Burfict is a dirty player that is out there intentionally trying to injure people.  I know he's done it to more than just Steelers, I just only watch Cincy games when they're playing Pittsburgh, so that's when I see it first hand.  I'm saying the NFL should sit him down for an extended period of time.  Steelers don't play Cincy again until week 17, so it likely wouldn't affect my team either way.  But it's the only way he'll ever stop (and even that hasn't been enough so far.)

I'm worried about the future of tackle football, period.  When the CTE suits start coming (and they ARE coming..), it's going to decimate the NFL.  The headhunting has to stop, these guys are way too big and too fast to be popping one another in the head.  Now that we know about the danger of concussions and the horrific after-effects of CTE, the league needs to be trying to do whatever it can to legislate head shots out of the game.  Horrific injuries are going to happen even when dirty play isn't involved (Shazier) - they need to stop people from intentionally trying to concuss other players.  That's very clearly what Burfict was doing here and by not suspending him, they're granting tacit approval of his play.  That's dangerous.
OK; clearly your homer glasses are in the way.  Just because you have a player who has been fined and/or suspended multiple times for dirty hits, who clearly threw an elbow at a defenseless player’s head that in no way, shape, or form was necessary since the player receiving the hit  was already on the process of being tackled to the ground doesn’t mean it was a dirty hit.  Are you just working the kinks out of your jumping to conclusions mat? 

Just read any of Burfict’s comments directed towards the Steelers in recent years and look at the number of dirty hits that he’s had.  You seriously believe his top priority when he steps on the field against the Steelers isn’t to injure someone?  The football game is secondary to him (at least when it’s against the Steelers).  He’s got about a billion screws loose and one of these times he will take it too far and the league will really have a mess on their hands.  I hate when the Steelers play the Bengals anymore and it has nothing to do with football.

The simple fact is that unless a quarterback is getting hurt, the NFL really doesn't care.  They might fake it a little if the guy has to be wheeled out on a stretcher.

Burfict is way past benefit of the doubt territory. He should be gone
Agreed x 2. 

He's going to get fined for this. If and when he does, the NFL will have admitted he did something wrong and their punishment will be little deterrent. 

If they don't fine him for a cheap shot to a 1st team All-Pro's head after fining Watt for basically falling at a QB's feet, they'll be announcing that their concerns for player safety do not extend beyond QBs (read : ratings.) 

The next snap, while AB was in the tent undergoing concussion tests, Burfict pointed at JuJu and purportedly yelled : "You're next !"

He was making absolutely no attempt to tackle Brown - he saw that he was stopped and threw an elbow/shoulder right to his helmet.  He was TRYING to concuss Brown, nothing else.

If the league cares a lick about player safety, Burfict is staring down the barrel of another suspension.  What he did was way more egregious than the hit on Burfict himself that got Smith-Schuster suspended a game last year.  That was JuJu's first offense, this is Burfict's what... 5th?  6th?  This guy is out there blatantly trying to injure people, he doesn't even hide it.
Well Shuster has to know he will get his one day.

The in-booth ref who calls the games (I forget which is NBC's but it's not Triplette) said it was not an illegal pick and will never be called.

Last edited by a moderator:
Schefter tweeted that the league is looking at 3 plays from the game. One is Burfict's shot to Brown's head. 

The other two are Burfict initiating contact with the crown of the helmet. 

Sit. Him. Down. The time for fines is long past. 

Burfict is obviously a dirty ### player. I hope he gets suspended again

I'm curious what Steelers fans thought of James Harrison and his headhunting ways.  :lol:

I have him rostered in my IDP league & I think he’s a delightful fellow who should keep playing all season. 

No bias whatsoever. ;)  

Schefter tweeted that the league is looking at 3 plays from the game. One is Burfict's shot to Brown's head. 

The other two are Burfict initiating contact with the crown of the helmet. 

Sit. Him. Down. The time for fines is long past. 
The NFL should: 

a) give him a long suspension.
b) give Marvin Lewis a hefty fine. If he is going to enable this kind of behavior, make him pay as well.

And the funny thing is, that was a tame hit compared to Burfict's other cheap shots in the past, but he should get no benefit of the doubt, because he clearly isn't getting it. 

But the NFL has no balls and will likely give him a slap on the wrist. 

Burfict is obviously a dirty ### player. I hope he gets suspended again

I'm curious what Steelers fans thought of James Harrison and his headhunting ways.  :lol:
Why are you bringing up Harrison in a Burfict thread?  Harrison had his share of dirty hits but he's not even in the same zip code as Burfict.  Burfict is clearly just out to injure people (his comments alone corroborate that).  He's a ####### reckless moron and should not be in the league.  

Yesterday

Vontaze Burfict with another ugly turn

Tweet of the game

Vontaze Burfict with another ugly turn. Apparently, now he doesn’t just reserve his cheap shots for the opponent. Coming off the field with an injury on Sunday he took it out on Bengals head trainer Paul Sparling, ripping down on his arm as he guided him to the sideline at the end of the first half.

Former Bengals and Browns receiver Andrew Hawkins offered another side of the story from the perspective of a concussed player. 

Andrew Hawkins✔@Hawk

Educational Thread: I get everything that surrounds Burfict & his antics. BUT when you have a concussion, you ARE NO LONGER CLEAR thinking. Literally reacting on instincts & possibly with no logically reasoning. For me, I would not even remember up to 10 hours AFTER I had them..

I liked Burfict for years, but his play has also declined badly this season. 

I dont expect him back. Like pretty much every profession, the amount of leash has everything to do with how replaceable you are. His play has become replaceable and he’s just as big of a headache as ever. I do think people go nuts about most of his stuff just because it’s him but he has earned that treatment with his past. 

Itll be interesting if he gets picked up next year by anyone. 

He went from LB1 to potential cut on my dynasty team with not a lot of points in between those 2 designations.

Not sure who will take a gamble on him. Concusions, injuries and suspensions are more frequent than his tackles.

This guy is a cancer. I'm old school and love tough, hard hitting play on the field. The way defenses have been neutered over the last few years is tragic BUT Burfict's style of play and the continuous focus on cheap shots really make me question how this guy plays in today's league. I don't like him, I don't like his play and I put this on the Bengals for not stepping in & cutting him after some of his antics. They're as much to blame here as the player.

I don't wish ill on anyone, karma is a ##### and I don't need that in my life but this guy isn't going to make it outside of football. Whether he ends up in prison or worse (think Junior Seau) it's not going to end well for him. Dude has some serious demons in his life and with no outlet they are going to turn inward quickly, coupled with the 17 concussions and nothing points to a happy ending for Burfict.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of sucks the guy who injured both Bell and AB does not get sent out of the division until the Steelers officially cut ties with those two. 

He is a perfect old school Raider.

Users who are viewing this thread