What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drinking Less...Soda (1 Viewer)

Johnny Rock

Footballguy
Eating out for lunch everyday including two sodas, plus many cups of coffee, isn't working anymore. Too much caffeine and beverage calories.

So last week I stopped having soda at lunch. I've been exercising a bit more too. I figure I'll drop 20 lbs. in due course just from eliminating the excessive soda. Down 3 lbs. to 195. I'd like to be 175.

I thought I was pretty good drinking water before but I've upped that too. Feel a little better already.

The bonus is it saves $2-$3 every lunch. Doesn't seem like much but it's an extra little incentive.

Yeah with soda prices what they are at restaurants it always floors me that people buy them.

One of my few minor pet peeves with my wife is that we'll go out to eat for lunch or something and she'll get a $3 diet coke and drink like two sips of it. Not worth fighting the battle but it's a little annoying to see $3.50 on an otherwise $20 dollar lunch bill for some ####ty substance that was barely consumed when water, which is so much better for you, is free. I mean, at least go coffee as that's healthier and usually cheaper.

A lot of places give free soda refills. For some people it's like a hay day! Refill after refill. Oh my. It's not just the calories but the sugar content alone with that much soda will make you a diabetic.

Haven't drank soda in years. Soda is for kids or people from the 50s when soda meant something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah with soda prices what they are at restaurants it always floors me that people buy them.

One of my few minor pet peeves with my wife is that we'll go out to eat for lunch or something and she'll get a $3 diet coke and drink like two sips of it. Not worth fighting the battle but it's a little annoying to see $3.50 on an otherwise $20 dollar lunch bill for some ####ty substance that was barely consumed when water, which is so much better for you, is free. I mean, at least go coffee as that's healthier and usually cheaper.
Interested in coffee healthier than soda if you have any facts or links. Don't disagree, it's for a side project I never work on.

Interested in coffee healthier than soda if you have any facts or links. Don't disagree, it's for a side project I never work on.
Study Links Daily Coffee Habit to Longevity
There was a similar "study" about bacon.

Study Links Daily Coffee Habit to Longevity
There was a similar "study" about bacon.
and?
Turns out daily bacon shortens your life span by 6.2 years.

Kicked my soda habit about 10 months ago as it was needed. Had an eye opener at a dietitians conference learning about all that makes up soda. I couldn't just turn to water or tea as I needed my carbonation. Completely mental.

Poland and Schweppes flavored sparking water has been a huge help. Water and carbonation with natural flavors. No sugar no sodium no calories and no artificial sweeteners that you find in the diet sodas. My doctor also said it counts towards my daily water intake as well. Im fully converted to water during my days and a sparkling water if I need the carbonation.

Used to pound cokes back in my 20s/30s. I think I maxed out a 10 per day. I could fine tune my weight by adjusting the # of cokes per day I drank. Now i might drink 1 or 2 in a week or 1 when I'm driving somewhere thats more than 3 hrs away.

I mostly drink water, unsweetened tea or beer.

Stopped drinking soda regularly years ago. Sure, I'll have an occasional soda here and there, but if I have more than one a month, it's a lot any more.

Stopped drinking soda regularly years ago. Sure, I'll have an occasional soda here and there, but if I have more than one a month, it's a lot any more.
I'm in this bait but probably don't have more than 6 soda's in a year and they are almost all in a place like China when I can't find coffee

Mostly off the soda now. I only drink coke on special occasions like Mexican food nights or if I need a kick in the shorts to get some work done after lunch food comas.

I still give into natural fruit juices(no hfcs) and Gatorade(once in a while), but have significantly increased my water intake overall and plan to continue down that path.

Fruit juices may actually be worse for you than soda. Often times they can have twice the sugar of soda by volume. Just eat the fruit and drink water. And just take a salt tab and not Gatorade.

I'm in this bait but probably don't have more than 6 soda's in a year and they are almost all in a place like China when I can't find coffee
My soda intake anymore is if I'm at the movies or in my mixed drinks

Gave up pop (I'm from MN) about two weeks ago. Have been doing a morning coffee/mocha since to keep the caffiene fix. I'm lowering the coffee ratio daily to ween myself off and eventually give it up. I've only had a couple of headaches since. I've tried in the past and gone through the massive three day withdrawal headache.

I'm hoping to make it stick this time. My wife goes through massive amounts of diet Mt Dew and I can't get her to try to kick the habit.

tonydead said:
Haven't drank soda in years. Soda is for kids or people from the 50s when soda meant something.
Seriously. We live in a nation of overgrown children drinking soda wearing baseball hats while watching comic book movies.

I love soda. Wish I could drink it all the time but I know it's awful for me. I usually limit it to 1 a week (with pizza)with occasional exceptions.

No cola though. Regular old cola is gross. Tastes like sludge to me. Not refreshing at all. Occasionally I'll have a craving for cherry coke but I think plain old coke is gross.

Pop was my true addiction. At my worst I was drinking well over a litre a day. I would quit for a month or so, but just the tiniest of sips would reel me back in. Last May, I was forced to drop ALL carbonated drinks due to preparing for bariatric surgery. I have not had a pop since then, but up until last December, I severely craved it every single day.

I have replaced it with flavoured water...Lots of water. The craving are now gone.

In the past I could drop 10-15 pounds in 3 or 4 weeks just by cutting out pop.

Neither of my kids like or drink pop, so that is a good thing

What's the verdict on the "zero" drinks? We replaced Cokes with Coke Zeros, mainly to cut down on our sugar intake.

Being Iranian, I'm a born tea drinker. So it wasn't too hard to kick soda despite I love coca cola. I drink fresh brewed persian iced tea (black tea) like water. Sugar is fuel for cancer so I've cut out all sweets and look at the labels to make sure there isn't a ton of sugar in it. Juice has a ton. Everything seems to have sugar in it. I'm going by double digits a serving as not good. You also have to look at serving size. You'd be surprised how small the servings are if you've never paid attention to this..

What's the verdict on the "zero" drinks? We replaced Cokes with Coke Zeros, mainly to cut down on our sugar intake.
Terrible for you. Bad stuff in there.

On another note, these type of threads always amaze me in how unpopular a drink plain water is. I love water.

On another note, these type of threads always amaze me in how unpopular a drink plain water is. I love water.
I can only handle ice cold water on a warm day. It's close to refreshing as iced tea for me. But in the cooler months, can't stand water alone.

I typically drink 60+oz of just plain water a day. Sometimes I'll put a lemon or orange in there just for something different. But 99% of the time, it's just plain old water.

I typically drink 60+oz of just plain water a day. Sometimes I'll put a lemon or orange in there just for something different. But 99% of the time, it's just plain old water.
This is prettymuch me - water all day long. Coffee in the am, some seltzer w/ a meal, and beer when the time comes. But essentially plain water is my main drink.

Pop was my true addiction. At my worst I was drinking well over a litre a day. I would quit for a month or so, but just the tiniest of sips would reel me back in. Last May, I was forced to drop ALL carbonated drinks due to preparing for bariatric surgery. I have not had a pop since then, but up until last December, I severely craved it every single day.

I have replaced it with flavoured water...Lots of water. The craving are now gone.

Yet you chose to go for WLS rather than just quitting?

Nothing better than a can of coke while crushing a bag of chips and dip on movie night :thumbup:

Sadly, that only happens about 6-7 times a year now. Otherwise, water, coffee and beer or wine depending on the season.

I don't really drink them to often. Coffee is my primary daily drink. I try to drink a glass of water every 2-3 cups. I'll drink water at lunch, and then typically a beer or two at night for dinner. My wife doesn't like coffee or tea so she drinks 1-2 20oz Coke Zeros for her caffeine kick.

water

coffee - made at work or home

beer

whisky

everything else is unnecessary.
Pretty much my liquid intake as well. Although ice water is by far the most. Even at restaurants where 1 or 2 refills is the norm. Soda does nothing for me except make me more thirsty.

My wife otoh is completely addicted to soda. Fortunately our kids never started drinking it.

Yet you chose to go for WLS rather than just quitting?
Well...while it has helped me lose some weight, I would not have been able to drop the 100+ pounds I needed to lose. It was just part of the problem. I did quit, and it was a great start

La Croix carbonated water is amazing. Prefer it by far over a soda. Even Mountain Dew, Cherry Coke, Mr. Pibb, and Tahitian Treat (my Mt. Rushmore of sodas).

Quit drinking soda over 15 years ago and we don't buy it for our kids except for special occasions. If they want to order one when we are out to dinner, that's fine.

However, now that my 11 year old has Type 1 Dibeeeeeeetuhs he seems to think he can drink all the diet soda he wants, which I am strongly trying to discourage. I just don't think Diet Soda is good for anybody, let alone an 11 year old kid. Isn't there some sort of bad chemical in Diet Soda that causes cancer?

Quit drinking soda over 15 years ago and we don't buy it for our kids except for special occasions. If they want to order one when we are out to dinner, that's fine.

However, now that my 11 year old has Type 1 Dibeeeeeeetuhs he seems to think he can drink all the diet soda he wants, which I am strongly trying to discourage. I just don't think Diet Soda is good for anybody, let alone an 11 year old kid. Isn't there some sort of bad chemical in Diet Soda that causes cancer?
aspartame maybe? Or whatever the hell "philokeotronics" (sp?) is?

aspartame maybe? Or whatever the hell "philokeotronics" (sp?) is?
Aspartame gets a really bad rep.

http://www.healthline.com/health/aspartame-side-effects#Products3

The acceptable daily intake (ADI) recommendations are:

• FDA: 50 milligrams per kilogram of body weight
  • EFSA: 40 milligrams per kilogram of body weight
A can of diet soda contains about 185 milligrams of aspartame. A 150-pound (68-kilogram) person would have to drink more than 18 cans of soda a day to exceed the FDA daily intake. Alternately, they would need nearly 15 cans to exceed the EFSA recommendation.

Yup, aspartame has been studied like crazy and found to be safe, but has been the victim of fear mongering ever since it was introduced.

And now diet sodas are getting bashed way more than they probably deserve. It's common to hear that they're worse than regular soda and make you fat by getting you eat more (whether by stimulating appetite or getting you to feel you are allowed to eat more) or altering gut bacteria or something. A new review shows there's a good chance that drinking LES (low energy sweetener) drinks results in lower overall energy intake and body weight compared to regular sweetened drinks. Not only that, but it actually showed some reduction vs drinking plain water.

Yup, aspartame has been studied like crazy and found to be safe, but has been the victim of fear mongering ever since it was introduced.

And now diet sodas are getting bashed way more than they probably deserve. It's common to hear that they're worse than regular soda and make you fat by getting you eat more (whether by stimulating appetite or getting you to feel you are allowed to eat more) or altering gut bacteria or something. A new review shows there's a good chance that drinking LES (low energy sweetener) drinks results in lower overall energy intake and body weight compared to regular sweetened drinks. Not only that, but it actually showed some reduction vs drinking plain water.
Still won't buy it for the house, but feel better knowing this when he order a Diet Pepsi at the bowling alley. Sucks that he can't just eat/drink whatever he wants because he loved regular soda but he'll be healthier overall without it and an occasional Diet Pop here or there won't harm him. :thumbup:

when I ditched diet coke cold turkey I noticed my migraines stopped.

water doesn't do it for me, but I found carbonated clear drinks work fine. calorie and everything free, like simply clear.

Still won't buy it for the house, but feel better knowing this when he order a Diet Pepsi at the bowling alley. Sucks that he can't just eat/drink whatever he wants because he loved regular soda but he'll be healthier overall without it and an occasional Diet Pop here or there won't harm him. :thumbup:
Yeah, that's very reasonable. I don't buy any kind of soda for the house, but don't make a big deal about what they order when we're out for a treat. It's not going to kill a kid to have a soda (diet or otherwise) once in a while.

Personally, I don't drink much soda - usually it's water or unsweetened iced tea for me - but sometimes it just hits the spot. I don't have a real preference between regular Coke and Coke Zero, so I'll usually pick the Zero when I want one.

water doesn't do it for me, but I found carbonated clear drinks work fine. calorie and everything free, like simply clear.
Just curious here - you ditched coke completely or just went from diet to regular?

Was your caffeine intake adjusted any other way when you quit diet coke?

Seems like most everything is tooted for contributing to causing cancer. You should see what different info pts are getting from their docs on the less than obvious food/drinks. Being a cancer pt, I'm all over trying to figure out what the hell can/should I eat. Vegan seems to be the best but I can't even do vegetarian for long. However, there are many vegans/vegetarian marathon runner who got the cancer, some stage IV.

The dietitian basically has you eating healthy with no fillers, preservatives, added sugars, high sodium, bad carbs fruits/veggies affected most by pesticides (basically thin and no skin items) and watching the calories (which all soda is chalked full of)---basically what we already know. Maybe just keep diet soda out of your house. That's the easiest solution.

La Croix carbonated water is amazing. Prefer it by far over a soda. Even Mountain Dew, Cherry Coke, Mr. Pibb, and Tahitian Treat (my Mt. Rushmore of sodas).
this is the only flavored water that I've tried that I actually like after stopping soda - the curate flavors are REALLY good.

Thanks for the info. Cool they have La Cola. I'll have to check it out as I can't completely go coca cola free yet.

jhib said:
Chemical X said:

Just curious here - you ditched coke completely or just went from diet to regular?

Was your caffeine intake adjusted any other way when you quit diet coke?
ditched traditional soda altogether. I found myself somehow at almost 100 oz. a day. would have a 20 oz around 11a, lunch at work was usually a 16 oz with refill.

a 20 oz at dinner, maybe another when I got home or in the evening, was just natural. found my BP high and doc suggested. went to water, tea and crystal light add ins. all other caffeine stayed the same. poof, migraines gone.....now I have maxalt laying around the house.

Honestly, if you don't mind the taste of it, I like it personally, try to replace your soda with sparkling water. Perrier and s###. It is just as healthy as water (I've found no conclusive studies linking carbonation to anything), and it gives you that mental satisfaction of tricking your brain by downing a carbonated beverage.

Users who are viewing this thread