What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If you had or do have a young son would you let him play American Football? (1 Viewer)

Would you let your son play football?

• Yes

Votes: 67 44.1%
  • No

Votes: 85 55.9%

• Total voters

Hov34

Eephus's Great Great Great Love Child
I feel like this has been done, so apologies if this is Hondaish.

Flag football is the way to go when the kids are young and still learning the sport.  Teaches them play design, movement of the game and gives them time understand the rules of the sport.  Once they reach about thirteen or so you add in pads and tackling.  

At that point I'm okay with letting my kid play for reelz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell yes.  Actually I am in the process of trying to get an ovum from JJ Watts mother and some Calvin Johnson sperm with which to fertilize the egg.  The resulting son will be fed nothing but pineapple, raw beef, deer antler velvet, and mangos.  I will bathe him every night in GGH (Gigantopithecus Growth Hormone) and will have him strapped to the same wheel young Conan was strapped to.  I will make Todd Marinivich's father look rational in comparison to how hard I will push.  At 21 I will release my creation on an unsuspecting world.

If the resulting baby is a daughter I will just have to figure something out.

Hell yes.  Actually I am in the process of trying to get an ovum from JJ Watts mother and some Calvin Johnson sperm with which to fertilize the egg.  The resulting son will be feed nothing but pineapple, raw beef, deer antler velvet, and mangos.  I will bathe him every night in GGH (Gigantopithecus Growth Hormone) and will have him strapped to the same wheel young Conan was strapped to.  I will make Todd Marinivich's father look rational in comparison to how hard I will push.  At 21 I will release my creation on an unsuspecting world.

Drafting him now.  1.01

Hell yes.  Actually I am in the process of trying to get an ovum from JJ Watts mother and some Calvin Johnson sperm with which to fertilize the egg.  The resulting son will be feed nothing but pineapple, raw beef, deer antler velvet, and mangos.  I will bathe him every night in GGH (Gigantopithecus Growth Hormone) and will have him strapped to the same wheel young Conan was strapped to.  I will make Todd Marinivich's father look rational in comparison to how hard I will push.  At 21 I will release my creation on an unsuspecting world.

3 choices:

1) flush

2) Breed a Wimbledon Champ...  ton of money in that

3) UFC

Not to sound like a richard, but he has more risk if being injured driving a car.  Are you going to allow him a driver's license?  

You're doing a disservice to your potential FrakenDW as his football income, even if maximized, would pale in comparison to creating a left handed pitching monster.  Longer career, more guaranteed $$, less stress on most of the body, not likely to be dull by 50.  Ovum of Randy Johnson's mom and baby batter from Steve Carlton's loins and **BOOM** the perfect creature!

You're doing a disservice to your potential FrakenDW as his football income, even if maximized, would pale in comparison to creating a left handed pitching monster.  Longer career, more guaranteed $$, less stress on most of the body, not likely to be dull by 50.  Ovum of Randy Johnson's mom and baby batter from Steve Carlton's loins and **BOOM** the perfect creature!
I'm not doing it for him, this is all about me.  If I were doing it for him your plan would certainly beat mine, as would one involving golfers or musical ability, to name a few.

Not to sound like a richard, but he has more risk if being injured driving a car.  Are you going to allow him a driver's license?  
apple, i'd like to introduce you to orange

A 10-16 year is not more at risk to be injured driving a car, obviously cause he isn't driving a car at that age.
Parents are having to make a decision at an age as early as 8 whether or not to let their son play a game most are finding has many many long term side effects.
Driving is more/less a necessity of life for some, so again the comparison is bad when talking about 17 year old kids and a terrible comparison when talking about a 10 year old kid.

My son is 7, if he wanted to play. I would be OK with it but just a lot more attentive and involved in his health than I would be say...10 years ago?

I played football growing up, and loved it.  My kids got into flag young, and both started tackle in 3rd grade as they do around here.  Both played 3rd and 4th grade and gave it up (I was scrawny as a kid, and they got that from me, so they were generally just getting pummeled and didn't enjoy it).  It didn't break my heart to see them give it up.  I saw a fair amount of concussions in those few years in other kids, and saw a high school player have to give it up after his 3rd concussion.

My older son is now in 8th grade and has to decide in the next couple of weeks if he wants to play high school football in the fall.  I'm leaving it up to him, certainly not encouraging or discouraging him, but won't be heartbroken if he decides not to play.

A 10-16 year is not more at risk to be injured driving a car, obviously cause he isn't driving a car at that age.
Parents are having to make a decision at an age as early as 8 whether or not to let their son play a game most are finding has many many long term side effects.
Driving is more/less a necessity of life for some, so again the comparison is bad when talking about 17 year old kids and a terrible comparison when talking about a 10 year old kid.

My son is 7, if he wanted to play. I would be OK with it but just a lot more attentive and involved in his health than I would be say...10 years ago?
You obviously missed the point.  But carry on with the debate. 

You obviously missed the point.  But carry on with the debate. 

Um, wat?

No.  My son is turning 11 and has asked the last two years.  His other friends play but I have him stick to basketball and baseball.  I don't think he really appreciates the violence of tackle football vs  playing football with his friend's in the backyard.  All of his friends have already been injured in some fashion - ankle, knee injuries so far.  From a selfish standpoint I already drive him around enough and devote a lot of other times to the other sports so not having to deal with Fall football is a welcome break from the craziness of youth sports.  He is really into cross country running so when he gets to middle school next year that will be a fall sport for him and I think the football issue will go away. 

On a sheer #s standpoint, of course.  I would assume that 99% of all kids are in a car multiple times per day.  Where as (pulling  a # out of thin air here, but being conservative) maybe 10% of the population plays tackle football consistently from the age of 10-18?

Also, the "long term effects" of tackle football is still a relatively recent phenomenon....so we'll continue to learn.

I liked Dutch's point above on letting them play flag for awhile to learn the game (speed, where to be, etc)...closer to home, I know Drew Brees has said the same thing.....and there is data supporting playing tackle prior to 12 were at a higher risk of altered brain development:

http://www.today.com/health/playing-tackle-football-12-impacts-brain-health-t38331

My 12 yo has played for 5 years and loves it.  My 6 yo will probably start next year, he's been begging to play for a while.

At a younger age, the speed and size isn't all that great....you don't see many hard collisions, injuries, or concussions.  I understand there is a risk, but honestly I love the sport and so do they.  If either get multiple concussions I would intervene and not let them play.

I let them play touch and flag. They will never be allowed to put pads on to play tackle.

Playing tackle football is not safe. Parents who let their boys play tackle football are being irresponsible in my opinion.

I played as a kid and had many undiagnosed concussions I believe.  The constant dizziness and puking after practices should have been a clue, but I just assumed it was moms cooking.  So anyway.....what's the question again?

I have four sons, none of which are interested in playing "American" football.  It's possible that my 5 year old will want to play when he's older but the other three almost certainly won't.  So it's pretty much a moot point for us.  BUT, let's assume for the sake of argument that they wanted to play.  Right now I would let them play, but unless they show real talent and a love for the game they would stop playing by high school.  Frankly, as they have my genes, they won't be big enough or naturally talented enough to play football long.  They will excel in many other things if they so choose.

FWIW, my sister and BIL allow their sons to play and their sons enjoy it.  But they also will probably stop playing by HS.

Here in Texas I'm pretty sure it's state law that boys play football. 

A lot of money goes into high school football here. The stadiums and weight rooms are ridiculous. They rival some colleges. 

But to answer your question, I would absolutely let my son play football (hypothetically speaking because I don't have kids). 

Cross country and track would probably be of a greater benefit in the long term, however. It's hell trying to become a runner later on in life. 

That there are risks in many activities that kids do at that age group.  You can put your child in a plastic bubble and try and protect him from everything, but anything you look at there will be studies or risks that can cause injury.  Granted if he wanted to juggle chainsaws and swords that is a bit extreme, but football, baseball, soccer, hockey, bike riding, skate boarding, rollarblading, etc all have risks of head injury or concussion. Sure some activities have a greater risk, but I think there is so much focus on football right now that it is being reported and diagnosed more that has parents all up arms about this dangerous sport.   

I'm not trying to sell you on my parenting style, you can put your kid in cross country and have him run the mile in track.  It of course is your choice.  I am just answering your question that you asked. 

Yes, I am a father of a son and will allow him to play football. 

I played as a kid and had many undiagnosed concussions I believe.  The constant dizziness and puking after practices should have been a clue, but I just assumed it was moms cooking.  So anyway.....what's the question again?

Spaghetti?

That there are risks in many activities that kids do at that age group.  You can put your child in a plastic bubble and try and protect him from everything, but anything you look at there will be studies or risks that can cause injury.  Granted if he wanted to juggle chainsaws and swords that is a bit extreme, but football, baseball, soccer, hockey, bike riding, skate boarding, rollarblading, etc all have risks of head injury or concussion. Sure some activities have a greater risk, but I think there is so much focus on football right now that it is being reported and diagnosed more that has parents all up arms about this dangerous sport.   

I'm not trying to sell you on my parenting style, you can put your kid in cross country and have him run the mile in track.  It of course is your choice.  I am just answering your question that you asked. 

Yes, I am a father of a son and will allow him to play football. 
Watch the concussion movie then report back.  It's an eye opener.

I answered no.  

I love watching football and have no issue with kids(2 boys 10-12) playing flag football, or even back yard tackle with their buddies. As to why back yard and not on the field, simple answer, I don't know what some coach, or jerky father said or did to the opposing player that will likely contribute to a serious injury.  For example, go low(saw a kids kneecap explode) get angry, and other nonsense crazy parents put into their kids heads. There is no way in hell I will put my children's most important asset(their brain) at risk for HS glory, and certainly not middle school or lower.  

There are plenty of other sports such as basketball, wrestling, fall baseball, and soccer, which pose significantly less risk to injury, equally enjoyable, and teach all the great life lessons.  I have seen kids my children's ages with the following injuries: broken wrist, broken fibula, collarbone, kneecap, ribs, hip, stress fractures, shredded tendons, muscle torn for hip, oh and those pesky concussions.  Those are types of injuries, not just #'s.  I don't care what anyone says, football is a violent sport and there is not even a close second.  Finally, for those friends I know who played pop warner up until HS, not benchwarmers, guys playing both sides, all have some type of residual injury, and again, not talking about concussions.

If other parents want to let their kids, go for it; not mine.

My son played through high school.  But I look at my grandson now and I don't want him to play football.  He'll be walking around with a golf club in his hand as long as I'm around.  

When I was growing up, my family was very much against me playing football. Now, if I really wanted to, I could have but from an early age it was drilled into me that I shouldn't play football. The reason was all centered around long term injuries to knees and such. Head injuries/concussions were not really even a concern.

I played mostly baseball and basketball growing up until I had a major knee injury from a bicycle accident. I attempted to come back from the injury and had many setbacks. Eventually it ended my ability to play competitive basketball (I had already moved on from baseball).

Later in life, I regretted not playing football as I believe I could have been pretty good if I had. With ending up with a messed up body anyways (bad back, bad knee and bad ankle) it kind of felt like that you just need to live life and do what you want.

Now, I feel different about the head injury as that is a whole different issue. I have a few years to really think about this as my oldest son is 2 and it is something I struggle with. My son already seems to have strength/physicality well beyond his peers that would lend well to football and if he inherits my size then he would have options. I know I will struggle with this for several years. I know my wife already would like to steer him to non-contact sports like tennis. :yawn:

I have 2 teenage boys. Both played flag but never played tackle.

Primary reason neither played tackle is  because there isn't much demand for skinny kids who are quick but not fast and can run all day.

If they did play tackle, neither would have played until they were at least 14. Not sure that Pop Warner is worth all of the extra collisions for a growing kid.

I don't think I will. I played in HS, but I never played before that.

I have a former HS teammate who is now paralyzed from football. Just not worth it.

I feel that with this conversation starting to pop up and more and more, it can't be good for the sport going forward correct? I mean the fact that the majority of us fantasy football nerds don't want our kids playing football should be telling for the future of the game.

I feel that with this conversation starting to pop up and more and more, it can't be good for the sport going forward correct? I mean the fact that the majority of us fantasy football nerds don't want our kids playing football should be telling for the future of the game.
it is no coincidence that the NFL is increasing its presence in Europe

I think the NFL will be fine. They pay a lot of money and the biggest/strongest athletes will always be willing to take the risks to be in the NFL. You will definitely see a decrease in quality/participation at the high-school and even college levels though.

My oldest played youth football for a couple of years (4th and 5th grade, I think), then stopped. He played freshman football last fall.

If ever gets a concussion or has concussion like symptoms, I would consider telling him he is done. If he got two, he would certainly be done, without further discussion.

One son doesn't like sports too much, the other is all about sports.  With that said, he's 10 and he has always been focused on Baseball.  He has played basketball and flag football.  A couple of dads have asked him if he would like to play tackle football on their teams.  We talk about it, but I tell him it's his choice for now.  We talk about concussions and how it's different from Flag or even schoolyard football.  He has told me that he is fine playing Flag Football and doesn't want to play tackle.  I'm fine with this, as I'm not sure if I'd want him to play tackle yet.  I'd rather he continue growing up into an athlete and then deciding which sport is for him.  Too much pressure on the kids to make them all-stars in a sport nowadays.

I played since I was in 4th grade > high school. 

I wouldn't push him into it, but if he asked me I would let him. Football is just not that big around my house and area we live in (Long Island NY). I can see this being a bigger question in the south. 

That said, my son plays ice hockey, so its not that I am adverse to sports with injury potential.

Side note, a good friend's son just got a full ride to St Mary's College (don't know much about their program) for football. I guess you would get a different answer to this from them.  

My teenage boys aren't into sports at all. So this isn't much of an issue for me.

If that weren't the case, my older son is built like a future offensive lineman, and my younger son is tall for his age and wiry. I'd probably advise against it.

Users who are viewing this thread