What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kenneth Dixon, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

Sounds like a Monty Python skit!  ;)

iirc from previous seasons, ww priorities get clearer as the season progresses, but it sounds like many of us have been adding/dropping/adding more than we wish with each new shred of information.
LOL.

Sounds like McCoy injured his hamstring today in practice, so Gillislee could be the call. I am hoping Dixon gets healthier so that by week 10 (when I may need him, grabbed him for keeper potential next year as well) he's gotten his chance to take over. I think he is more talented than West, but obviously not completely healthy/ready to take over yet.

Per Rotoworld:

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said Monday he wants rookie Kenneth Dixon to have more involvement going forward.

Interesting. Dixon obviously was still limited by injury but the WK8 bye gives him one more week to fully heal. Even with West looking solid, good to see the team still committed to seeing what they have in Dixon.

Holding Dixon as a result, could still be a difference maker down the stretch. 

Per Rotoworld:

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said Monday he wants rookie Kenneth Dixon to have more involvement going forward.

Interesting. Dixon obviously was still limited by injury but the WK8 bye gives him one more week to fully heal. Even with West looking solid, good to see the team still committed to seeing what they have in Dixon.

Holding Dixon as a result, could still be a difference maker down the stretch. 
Harbaugh said today he wants Dixon more involved moving forward.

Strange that they gave Taliaferro more snaps than him in week 7. Certainly not the way most of us would think of to get someone more involved.

But apparently West injured his ankle so Dixon was running with the starters in practice last week. May not mean much, though. This week's practices will be more telling.

Picking him back up in both my PPR leagues. He is under the radar right now. Hope it ends better then the Dwayne Washington!

But apparently West injured his ankle so Dixon was running with the starters in practice last week. May not mean much, though. This week's practices will be more telling.
Harbaugh has been playing this guy up and now he comes off a bye week and possible injury to West...any intel from homers as to what we can expect.  Pit is 30th vs. the run

Strange that they gave Taliaferro more snaps than him in week 7. Certainly not the way most of us would think of to get someone more involved.

I don't see anything about west being hurt
link anyone?

Not a lot of specifics but I've seen multiple things citing Dixon getting 1st team reps over the bye due to West having some sort of ankle injury.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-ravens-notebook-1027-20161026-story.html

I've missed out, traded, or swung and missed on my RB sleepers so far.  Would be really nice if Dixon could emerge as a viable option over the 2nd half of the season.

West is clearly in the way right now but if Dixon's knee is closer to pre-injury form the opportunity could still come.

I thought I remember seeing something about West was hurt during the game, but I don't see anything under google, just some comments in here. I'd love to see some life out of him this week. I have a RB issue week 10 since my backup RB Riddick has the same bye as my starters (McCoy/Murray) so even though Riddick filled in nicely for McCoy last week and will fill in this week, he and Gillislee do me no good in week 10. I've been holding Dixon and Dion Lewis since the draft (20 player rosters) and both appear as potential, but not quite. I figured he would have gotten a bit more play already so this week is a big week. Not just for me, but more of a if he doesn't show anything this week, I'd be surprised if he plays much at all the rest of the year.

I may drop Ryan Mathews and pick up Dixon.   I can't see myself starting Mathews anytime soon and at least with Dixon I have someone who could explode the second half of the season.

Not a lot of specifics but I've seen multiple things citing Dixon getting 1st team reps over the bye due to West having some sort of ankle injury.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-ravens-notebook-1027-20161026-story.html

I've missed out, traded, or swung and missed on my RB sleepers so far.  Would be really nice if Dixon could emerge as a viable option over the 2nd half of the season.

West is clearly in the way right now but if Dixon's knee is closer to pre-injury form the opportunity could still come.
I'm waiting for news about the brace. Brace off, I like. Brace on, I'll pass.

Really getting harder to keep holding onto Dixon in a 14 team league with super short benches. He's a huge unknown right now, and while we hope he can fully take over the backfield and shine, seems equal chance that, barring longer/lingering injury to West, he may just be in the mix.

Just don't know how much longer I can hold him if it leaves me weak elsewhere and as a result, I start to lose games.

Really getting harder to keep holding onto Dixon in a 14 team league with super short benches. He's a huge unknown right now, and while we hope he can fully take over the backfield and shine, seems equal chance that, barring longer/lingering injury to West, he may just be in the mix.

Just don't know how much longer I can hold him if it leaves me weak elsewhere and as a result, I start to lose games.
I'd have a tough time keeping him in a short bench league. I only have him in my league with deep benches (pretty sure he's available in the others). I drafted him knowing I wouldn't use him and then with McCoy and Murray playing great and having late byes it didn't really matter. I picked up Langford/Carey before Howard's bust out hoping they might takeover since Howard had been bad, but Monday night kind of put a damper on that, but it may open more spots up for other flyers.

Sure, but you don't keep him all year through his return from injury and the bye and drop him this week for anything short of the exact same upside.

Sure, but you don't keep him all year through his return from injury and the bye and drop him this week for anything short of the exact same upside.
Agree, and that's where the rub is. Do you drop Dixon for the opportunity to cuff a Ware or Ingram on your team (just to use recent examples) with West or Hightower? Do you drop Dixon with a need to cover a bye with a one-week upside play (like Antone Smith). What about the longer term potential of Dixon vs a guy like Starks (who is likely to return as the main back in GB when healthy).

These are the tradeoffs that, while always difficult, I feel are compounded by the fact that we don't know where Dixon is in his recovery, haven't seen what he truly can do on the field in game situations, and how this might shake out in terms of Terrence West still hanging around.

To me, Dixon is increasingly becoming a drop in favor of some of the more utile players right now.

Hopefully we get a much clearer picture this weekend and Harbaugh stays true to his word of upping Dixon's use. If he is in the mix much more and doesn't produce, becomes that much clearer that he might be more of a "next year player" to target in favor of going after guys who can help your squad now.

Graded Zeke, Dixon, Howard as the top3 rookie backs to own after the NFL draft based upon skill/talent/opp/team situation, in that order. Don't drop him. You have seen what the other two did. If Dixon hits ... could go 3 for 3 this year. With where you could get Howard/Dixon in the draft or FA pool, they will give much more value than Zeke did as a 1st round pick as everybody bid up Zeke's potential this year. People are sleeping on Dixon as they slept on Howard until yesterday. Once the brace comes off and he is near 100% it will be clear as day how much better Dixon is than anyone else on the BAL roster. I think he is has the highest week to week scoring potential PPR back in this draft based on his tape. Zeke is better at a lot of things and probably more durable, but when healthy I think Dixon has the highest ceiling and omg type moves that make you shake your head. Zeke/Howard are less flashy, more steady, better at pass pro, better at goal line. It's a shame Dixon got injured to start the season or I think he would already be paying huge dividends to his owners. I have held him since the draft in all leagues. West has stood in admirably and has been productive for the most part, but he isn't the long term solution. Of course, Dixon may never get to 100% this year so there is risk of fizzle.

Before somebody comes in here saying I graded Howard/Dixon ahead of Booker/Henry, their team opp to start the year was much less opportunistic behind C.J. and Murray, hence they are not In the top3 must haves at the time of the draft.

Good insight, mnm, thanks!

Just read this on 4for4:

Under Harbaugh, the Ravens have rarely relied on a rookie running back. Ray Rice averaged 10.7 touches per game in his first NFL season in 2008. Buck Allen never received more than 10 touches in a game as a rookie last season before Justin Forsett suffered a season-ending injury. No other rookie running backs got more than 115 touches for Baltimore. That's why it would go against the Ravens' track record to put the running game on the shoulders of Dixon. But it's reasonable to project more than a handful of touches for him, which has been the case in his first three games.

Thoughts all?

I'm in a contract capped keeper league and have been offered Dixon for my 2019 2nd round pick.  Basically that pick will be a veteran who has had their contract ended so this year we would have been talking guys like DJax, Sims, Ertz, etc (ie. no studs) or rookies like Prosise, Treadwell, DeAndre Washington.  Of course there are always guys that hit like Ware or Marvin Jones or Booker too but we're talking 3 years from now.

I take this offer right?

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
Good insight, mnm, thanks!

Just read this on 4for4:

Under Harbaugh, the Ravens have rarely relied on a rookie running back. Ray Rice averaged 10.7 touches per game in his first NFL season in 2008. Buck Allen never received more than 10 touches in a game as a rookie last season before Justin Forsett suffered a season-ending injury. No other rookie running backs got more than 115 touches for Baltimore. That's why it would go against the Ravens' track record to put the running game on the shoulders of Dixon. But it's reasonable to project more than a handful of touches for him, which has been the case in his first three games.

Thoughts all?
These types of historical HC decisions read nice, fill the page and make you feel better about paying for a subscription service (dunno if this was free or not), but the situations are not the same. Rice in 2008 was playing behind McGahee, a legit vet back. This would be akin to the Demarco Murray, Henry situation, or C.J. and Booker if C.J. never got injured. I wouldn't glean to much insight from that 4for4 article, although I do respect their work.

Ray Rice owned the position until the latter half of 2013 and no rookie RBs existed for BAL to take his spot when he got the boot. 2014 Forsett broke out. So while it sounds like in 8 years history proves that Harbaugh won't play rookies more than X amount of carries per game, it really came down to BAL already having a capable vet back during Rice's rookie year AND them sticking with Rice until 2014. Forsett filled in nicely as a vet back in 2014 and the first part of 2015. So really there was only one year where an opportunity existed to play a rookie back and that was 2nd half of 2015 after Forsett went down. Have you seen their rookie RBs from 2015? JAG city, which is why they drafted a stud in 2016. The story is a non-factor and means nothing. It would probably had served your Dixon decision better if you had never read it.

What's more important info is that Dixon was getting groomed to be the starter during his pre-season breakout, and they waived Forsett even after his injury. Forsett was the only sentimental thing in his way. West has been on the team only a little while longed than Dixon and is not a huge road block.

ETA: If you think about it, this article is actually pro Dixon. Harbaugh was willing to hand the rookie Rice carries in spite of having a competent vet back. West is probably not as good as McGahee. Rice was drafted earlier than Dixon, however there is nobody with McGahee type talent on the team standing in his way.

Last edited by a moderator:
These types of historical HC decisions read nice, fill the page and make you feel better about paying for a subscription service (dunno if this was free or not), but the situations are not the same. Rice in 2008 was playing behind McGahee, a legit vet back. This would be akin to the Demarco Murray, Henry situation, or C.J. and Booker if C.J. never got injured. I wouldn't glean to much insight from that 4for4 article, although I do respect their work.

Ray Rice owned the position until the latter half of 2013 and no rookie RBs existed for BAL to take his spot when he got the boot. 2014 Forsett broke out. So while it sounds like in 8 years history proves that Harbaugh won't play rookies more than X amount of carries per game, it really came down to BAL already having a capable vet back during Rice's rookie year AND them sticking with Rice until 2014. Forsett filled in nicely as a vet back in 2014 and the first part of 2015. So really there was only one year where an opportunity existed to play a rookie back and that was 2nd half of 2015 after Forsett went down. Have you seen their rookie RBs from 2015? JAG city, which is why they drafted a stud in 2016. The story is a non-factor and means nothing. It would probably had served your Dixon decision better if you had never read it.

What's more important info is that Dixon was getting groomed to be the starter during his pre-season breakout, and they waived Forsett even after his injury. Forsett was the only sentimental thing in his way. West has been on the team only a little while longed than Dixon and is not a huge road block.
You think dixon is startable this week in a ppr?

I'm in a contract capped keeper league and have been offered Dixon for my 2019 2nd round pick.  Basically that pick will be a veteran who has had their contract ended so this year we would have been talking guys like DJax, Sims, Ertz, etc (ie. no studs) or rookies like Prosise, Treadwell, DeAndre Washington.  Of course there are always guys that hit like Ware or Marvin Jones or Booker too but we're talking 3 years from now.

I take this offer right?
In a hypothetical redraft of this year in dynasty, i would expect dixon to go somewhere in the 10 to 14 range.  elliott, henry, booker and howard, coleman, thomas, shepard, doctson, treadwell, hhenry, wentz and dak, and then... who?

I don't think he's necessarily worth a 2017 first - it's close but i wouldn't blame someone for selling - but a 2018 2nd is automatic.  A 2019 second shouldn't even be a question.

So is anyone rolling with Dixon this week? I'm tempted in the hopes he gets more looks coming out of the bye.

Hardly a peep over 2 weeks of practice aside from the HC line.  I can't find anything saying he looks better/worse/same.. certainly what we saw on the field the last 3 weeks wasn't confidence inspiring.

Still clearly behind West but looks to like the brace is off.

Noticeably quicker and more burst than previous weeks on the two runs he's had so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump -- anyone still holding onto Dixon? Dumping this week in favor for claims on other upside backs like Bibbs, comebackers like Dion Lewis or even James Starks.

Dixon may still turn out to be the guy in BAL, but I think I'm done waiting around for it.

Bump -- anyone still holding onto Dixon? Dumping this week in favor for claims on other upside backs like Bibbs, comebackers like Dion Lewis or even James Starks.

Dixon may still turn out to be the guy in BAL, but I think I'm done waiting around for it.
I am. In 2 leagues (14/16) But I'm always patient.

They are headed the Dixon direction. That's been true since the preseason.

Are you starting him this week against the browns? That's to soon, right? I'm thinking of dumping him but I think I'll wait another week. He's just a flyer on my team right now.

Ugh. I was really hoping to see him get some more carries so I could think about using him with McCoy and Riddick off this week. I don't think you can start him yet.

Still clearly behind West but looks to like the brace is off.

Noticeably quicker and more burst than previous weeks on the two runs he's had so far.
He missed time with a chest contusion but still played 20 snaps to West's 29, so I'd say it's much closer to a split than him being clearly behind him.

Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Definitely still holding where I can afford to, but I'd drop him in a heartbeat for Dion Lewis. Would not drop him for Bibbs or Starks, though.

Ugh. I was really hoping to see him get some more carries so I could think about using him with McCoy and Riddick off this week. I don't think you can start him yet.
I was hoping for a week 10 flex start out of him, too. :kicksrock: Definitely can't start him yet. Well, I guess nothing is stopping anyone from doing so, but it's just a hope and a prayer at this point. I'm hoping he dominates touches week 10 so he becomes a viable "start with confidence" play during the playoffs (and also prevents the Ravens from drafting another RB next year).

I think you at least need to own him for this TNF game.  Sit in your chair tomorrow night, watch him first hand and make an educated decision post-TNF game.  It's the only game in town that everyone will be watching tomorrow night, at home in Balt, vs. the Browns soft rush/pass Def.  This screams showcase game for Dixon and a breakout that may give their O the boost they're looking for.  Remember back to what he did in ncaa (goal line, catches and big yardage with power/moves) and some of the flashes he showed in the brief chances he's had to date.  Heck an injury could even hit this game and they have to revert back to a single back moving forward.  Bottom line is you need to at least own his rights leading up to this TNF game.  He's probably got a 10-12 point floor tomorrow if all goes well as a best guess IMO.  

I think you at least need to own him for this TNF game.  Sit in your chair tomorrow night, watch him first hand and make an educated decision post-TNF game.  It's the only game in town that everyone will be watching tomorrow night, at home in Balt, vs. the Browns soft rush/pass Def.  This screams showcase game for Dixon and a breakout that may give their O the boost they're looking for.  Remember back to what he did in ncaa (goal line, catches and big yardage with power/moves) and some of the flashes he showed in the brief chances he's had to date.  Heck an injury could even hit this game and they have to revert back to a single back moving forward.  Bottom line is you need to at least own his rights leading up to this TNF game.  He's probably got a 10-12 point floor tomorrow if all goes well as a best guess IMO.  
If all has to go well, it's not a floor.

I think you at least need to own him for this TNF game.  Sit in your chair tomorrow night, watch him first hand and make an educated decision post-TNF game. 
I have watched him first-hand, in preseason and over the last two games (via Game Rewind). While the Steelers did a good job stacking the box and holding the line against the run, I saw very little burst or success from Dixon in getting past the point of attack with either power or elusiveness. Simply put, he was a back who kept getting stuffed against a very middle-of-the-road run D.

What I saw from him in preseason was a different back, so while I believe in his talent, he just isn't putting it out there on the field when he has the opportunity (which he did in getting 20 snaps vs West's 29). It's not like West did any better, but at this point I believe I am looking at a back who is still trying to get back into form, a back who will likely content with an RBBC that gives it to the hot hand, and a back who may even may be susceptible to getting nicked up (a borad assumption, I know, but a chest contusion? C'mon now).

At this point in the season, I'm at the point where I'm more comfortable going for someone who could contribute more frequently and reliably, or a lotto stash -- rather than continuing to hold Dixon in the hopes that he goes off. If I'm wrong, so be it but I think at this point there are players out there with more immediate upside.

I have watched him first-hand, in preseason and over the last two games (via Game Rewind). While the Steelers did a good job stacking the box and holding the line against the run, I saw very little burst or success from Dixon in getting past the point of attack with either power or elusiveness. Simply put, he was a back who kept getting stuffed against a very middle-of-the-road run D.
Yup, I came away with the same impression after watching his touches. Granted it was the preseason, but he looked completely different. He's not on the injury report anymore but is it possible he's still not recovered from the MCL? I mean he hurt it twice during the off season, first spraining it and then tearing it. I don't know how else to explain what I'm seeing.

I'm giving him another shot on my bench to see how this pans out vs. CLE. Since I own him in Yahoo I can drop him for someone else after he's played if need be.

Users who are viewing this thread