What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Early Thoughts on Rookies (1 Viewer)

cjv123

Footballguy
Nice situations:

Redraft:  1) Joseph DB, 2a) Bosa DL, 2b) Buckner DL 3) Ragland LB

Dynasty 1) Jack LB, 2) Bosa DL 3) Smith LB 4) Ragland LB

With DT/DL production so hard to come by, and Buckner playing a 3-technique, I think he will probably have redraft value this year.

If Joseph pans out he will be a monster.

ETA Ragland: HT Tick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scooby falling to almost UDFA is criminal for his talent, but does allow me easier access to get him in most leagues.

Bosa looks to be lb in San Diego. No value

Darren Lee to me is fighting Jack for top IDP spot. And than a hot mess unless s has huge value in your league. Buckner might be the 3rd guy as 3-4 de. I do t think he is Watt. Ragland is probably 3rd but I am not that excited there either, Noah spence could be the surprise guy here. But overall a hot mess unless your league has s value, my only league does not

Bosa looks to be lb in San Diego. No value

Darren Lee to me is fighting Jack for top IDP spot. And than a hot mess unless s has huge value in your league. Buckner might be the 3rd guy as 3-4 de. I do t think he is Watt. Ragland is probably 3rd but I am not that excited there either, Noah spence could be the surprise guy here. But overall a hot mess unless your league has s value, my only league does not
Did not know that about Bosa. Ouch.

My league has realistic rosters so DL who can score are *huge* (last year, Mack carried me to a Super Bowl as DL-eligible per Yahoo!).

Two-down LBs are relatively dime-a-dozen (top 5 studs excluded of course).

Safeties who play both the run and pass are very valuable, but that is true for most leagues I think. 

I play one 16 team league. I got Harrison Smith a few years ago at 3.16. They just don't seem to have LB value because you can only ever start 2 compared to 4 Lb. a good lb will go bottom of 1. Most teams carry 3 on the season while teams are carrying 8 plus lb. if you have more flex on D, than that can make a difference and up safety value. My former home league where everyone carried 4 no matter what and some had 6 with roster size, saw S drafted in large 2nd instead. But you can go 3-3-5 and put S in for LB instead. 

DE is always so valuable as most leagues start 2 and the 3-4 guys kind of hurt the supply to demand.

What about for leagues that break out DT?
This draft was great for DT but most leagues start 1 and value is limited unless special scoring rules. But if you need DT, than this is draft for you. Rankings, Nkemfiche, Robinson, Clark should be good to go but I see them maybe at 15 - 25 range for D.

ahead 12  Lb, 4 DE, and 7 S could be drafted ahead 

This draft was great for DT but most leagues start 1 and value is limited unless special scoring rules. But if you need DT, than this is draft for you. Rankings, Nkemfiche, Robinson, Clark should be good to go but I see them maybe at 15 - 25 range for D.

ahead 12  Lb, 4 DE, and 7 S could be drafted ahead 
16 teamer start 1-2 DT with enhanced scoring for DT like you mentioned.

Thanks for the quick rankings.

What about for leagues that break out DT?
I'm in two such leagues but even there DTs don't go high.  

For example, Danny Shelton was still available in the 6th in one.  I wouldn't take any of these guys until the 4th or so.  But that depends on the availability of serviceable DTs; in that league Tom Johnson, peko, Dan Williams, and John Jenkins are still free agents. 

If Yahoo! gives Khalil Mack DL-eligibility again this year he will push for #1 IDP pick. It's reminiscent of the Marques Colston TE eligibility that made Colston a Round 1 pick across all Yahoo! leagues,

16 teamer start 1-2 DT with enhanced scoring for DT like you mentioned.

Thanks for the quick rankings.
This very competitive league has this over the years with extra for DT

2015 no one

2014 Aaron Donald 2.13, Dominick Easley 4.5

2013 no one

2012 no one

so Aaron Donald was an exception and do you feel any guy in this draft is him

This very competitive league has this over the years with extra for DT

2015 no one

2014 Aaron Donald 2.13, Dominick Easley 4.5

2013 no one

2012 no one

so Aaron Donald was an exception and do you feel any guy in this draft is him
Donald went 1.16 and Easley  3.02 in my league 

Non-issue for shallow leagues in which starting LB's are available on waivers, but deep leaguer's - good year to target LB's in the mid-late rounds to buid some depth.  

Non-issue for shallow leagues in which starting LB's are available on waivers, but deep leaguer's - good year to target LB's in the mid-late rounds to buid some depth.  
care to throw out some early/quick Rookie LB rankings? 

care to throw out some early/quick Rookie LB rankings? 
Mid/Late #1

Myles Jack 

Late #1/Early #2

Darron Lee 

Reggie Ragland

Sometime later in round #2 - if IR size allows

Jaylon Smith

Once there are no more offensive players I'm interested in (late 3rd? early 4th?) - still unsure of the order after the first two though

Deion Jones

Blake Martinez

Joe Schobert

Antonio Morrison

Joshua Perry

Nick Vigil

Scooby Wright

How do you feel about the DEs?

Jihad ward in particular seems to fall far but has potential to contribute. 

How do you feel about the DEs?

Jihad ward in particular seems to fall far but has potential to contribute. 
I'm still not totally on board with this strategy, but as of right now I mostly ignore rookie DE's in the draft unless they are all of - freakish athletes, drafted early, and in a scheme setup to net them points.  This list is not surprisingly small.  The last few years I have made a habit of targeting young DE's after they've been dropped or adding LB's late in the season in hopes they may end up as DE's the next season (i.e. Brandon Graham).  This limits the options some, sure, but it's worked...so far.

cjv123 said:
Is Floyd listed as a DE? Else he has to be very high as an LB.
Very dependent on scoring system.  3-4 OLBs aren't very strong in balanced scoring systems.

He has Ragland as a 4th rounder yet I seen 3 IDP drafts on FBG forum for rookie IDP drafts and Ragland went 10th, 7th and 15th overall so what gives ?

How can he be a 4th rounder on his board ?  That seems way low to me.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/742820-2016-idp-rookie-draft/
All it takes is one person to like him to take him higher than he should.  Think the worry is that he is a 2-down thumper in the mold of Brandon Spikes.  Obviously, getting selected in the 2nd means Buffalo probably has bigger plans than that, but can he do it?  

All it takes is one person to like him to take him higher than he should.  Think the worry is that he is a 2-down thumper in the mold of Brandon Spikes.  Obviously, getting selected in the 2nd means Buffalo probably has bigger plans than that, but can he do it?  
Yes players are always taken early, they probably like him in a Ryan defense but it is risky. 

He has Ragland as a 4th rounder yet I seen 3 IDP drafts on FBG forum for rookie IDP drafts and Ragland went 10th, 7th and 15th overall so what gives ?

How can he be a 4th rounder on his board ?  That seems way low to me.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/742820-2016-idp-rookie-draft/
Yep.  I personally had him at 32 but is only takes one guy to not be in tune with what the player is today.  If he can become a 3 down LB then I'll miss out but I can live with that given who else I had a chance to get ahead of him.

Cart is way before the horse here.  First he needs to get healthy.  Then he needs to beat out a guy that has played pretty well when he's been on the field.  Sean Lee is not getting younger nor healthier either, so that may open up a Will spot which Smith might be better suited for.  McClain could very well be re-signed and hold the Mike if he's able to stay on the field and play well.

I like the late LBs a lot, and really dislike some of the early ones.  

Bosa might be worth holding for a year, if he gets reclassified as a DE anytime soon, I think he has top 10 DE potential.  Depends on how much room you have on your roster, but deeper teams always have a few 3-4 edge guys on there, that are big play-dependent.  May as well get one that I think is a DE, sooner or later.  

Ragland might get some tackles, but it's tough to imagine him being a lock for 3-down work, and big plays seem unlikely.  He WAS a fairly decent pass rusher, so if he gets 3rd down work as a pass rusher, he might be a really nice starter.  I haven't heard anything like that, tho.  

I'm all set with Leonard Floyd.  Won't draft him.  String bean who wasn't even a killer pass rusher in college.  

Jaylon and Jack will just be fun to have on your team.  But I cannot see Jaylon before the 3rd round.  

Deion Jones is very fast, which is to say he is usually the fastest guy on the field to run into a blocker.  He could have value as a 3 down LB, but I don't see it.  There will be some safety I'd rather take when he gets drafted.  

I love Jordan Jenkins, but I dunno if he is a fantasy starter, I think he's just going to be a good player.  I'm wagering he's a better NFL player than Floyd, his old teammate.  

BJ Goodson is going to wind up on my taxi squad for sure.  Mainly because I think every other LB on the Giants sucks out loud.  It's like they made a point to go out and get every journeyman LB in the league.  No other LB on that roster is guaranteed a 2017 roster spot, it's amazing.  

Joe Schobert, I know nothing about, except he plays LB for the Browns, and there's gonna be a lot of tackle opportunities there.  If I hear they are looking at him as an ILB, I might go after him.  But if he is only an OLB, meh.  I wonder if Scooby will go in front of him in some drafts.  I don't think Scooby makes the team.  You can have all the instincts in the world, but if you move as quick as a retiree in a golf cart, you ain't making plays.  

I like Antonio Morrison's chances in Indy, and I LOVE the situation.  D'Qwell is old, Nate Irving is....Nate Irving (probably sign with the Giants next year, hahahaha), and Sio Moore is squandered talent.  Big fan of this guy late in rookie drafts.  

De'Vondre Campbell might be quietly better than Deion Jones, I want to see what he does in camp.  

Kentrell Brothers went to a less than great situation.  Minny has a lot of good LB.  He might be buried.  

I'll take a look at Blake Martinez.  Packers have no ILB that I care about, and I almost missed Martinez.  He sounds like a bad athlete, doesn't he?  'Blake', the white MLB from Stanford.  Yuck.  But he ran a 4.7, and was a top combine performer in the 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle.  

You could do worse than Jatavius Brown late in the draft.  Speedball S/LB type, who can rush the passer.  

Not a bad year to trim the fat off the back end of your LB depth chart, and grab a few in the 5th/6th round.  

I don't see Bosa listed anywhere as an LB but I only watch Roto/MFL as that is where all my leagues are - he's a DE there.  Agreed he's worthless as a LB but interesting as a DE.

No mention of Darron Lee, but I think he's the best in this bunch.  Steps into a vacated situation where a couple of very ordinary talents racked up a whole ton of tackles, and he's a pretty solid blitzer too.

Not interested in Jack or Jaylon at their prices.  Jax has tackle machines Pozluszny and Telvin Smith and Jack may end up at SAM and/or fighting those guys for tackles.  Can he hold up as a Mike?  Is the knee clean?  Too many issues at his price - he went in the first in all three of my drafts which is normal for LB1's but he's not there on my board.

Kwiatkowski is my favorite late sleeper but that depth chart will hold him back initially.

I do think Schoebert ends up at ILB for good value.

I like Nick Vigil's opportunity - Maualuga needs replaced and Burfict is out the first four games so Vigil could make a name for himself quickly.

Nice take on Goodson, I missed him everywhere but he could be a useful stash that racks up some numbers ala Uani Unga for a couple of years.  Not sure he's not replaceable in a year or two but could be a good train to ride until then.

Deion Jones is too pricey for me too.  He went in the 2nd in all of my leagues and I'd much rather have Morrison in the 5th than the same guy in the 2nd.

De'Vondre Campbell might be quietly better than Deion Jones, I want to see what he does in camp.  

i'm targeting him in offseason auctions. i think he's got a lot of potential in the ATL defense. i'm not sure how the LB corp shakes out (for ex, I think Wheeler played well enough down the stretch to get the start at OLB) but he's worth monitoring.

BJ Goodson is going to wind up on my taxi squad for sure.  Mainly because I think every other LB on the Giants sucks out loud.  It's like they made a point to go out and get every journeyman LB in the league.  No other LB on that roster is guaranteed a 2017 roster spot, it's amazing.  
Are you including Keenan Robinson in that list?  I think he's better than you're giving him credit for.

Bosa is DL on MFL and Rotoworld's latest blurb suggests that's where he'll stay.  That could change, of course.

I like Antonio Morrison's chances in Indy, and I LOVE the situation.  D'Qwell is old, Nate Irving is....Nate Irving (probably sign with the Giants next year, hahahaha), and Sio Moore is squandered talent.  Big fan of this guy late in rookie drafts.  
I've been getting Morrison in most of my leagues.  Most recently in a 16 team IDP in the 5th round, after Dodd, Blake Martinez, Vigil and Correa among others; the 70th player taken.  He was my target and I was trying to trade up for the last round plus (the 5th was the first pick I had).  With D'Qwell already on board, he was one of the easiest picks I've made.

i'm targeting him in offseason auctions. i think he's got a lot of potential in the ATL defense. i'm not sure how the LB corp shakes out (for ex, I think Wheeler played well enough down the stretch to get the start at OLB) but he's worth monitoring.
Currently penciled in as their starting WLB, I think he's very undervalued right now. Certainly possible that things change between now and September, but he's going after a lot of 2nd/3rd string LBs in drafts I've seen. 

Dallas will be happy to be able to move on from McClain and his drama. Jaylon will man the middle in 2017. Count on it.

Scooby falling to almost UDFA is criminal for his talent, but does allow me easier access to get him in most leagues.
I don't have any opinions yet on Wright because the pads haven't come on and won't till camp but saw this and just passing this along.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/browns-rookie-linebacker-scooby-wright-impressing-coaches-who-believe-he-could-be-seventh-round-steal-1.693276?localLinksEnabled=false

Browns

Browns rookie linebacker Scooby Wright impressing coaches who believe he could be seventh-round steal

Browns inside linebacker Scooby Wright undercut a deep out route, intercepted a pass thrown by fellow rookie Cody Kessler and caught the attention of coach Hue Jackson as he barreled toward the end zone.

“That a way, Scooby. That a way, Scooby,” Jackson said, running toward Wright to congratulate him with a pat on the helmet. “Good job, Scooby. Scooby, nice job. Scooby, nice job. Scooby, that a baby. That a baby. That a way. That a way.”

The scene unfolded last month during a rookie minicamp practice at FirstEnergy Stadium. Although Jackson and his coaching staff won’t be able to adequately evaluate their players until they strap on pads in training camp, which opens July 29, they’re excited about Wright. The interception was especially encouraging because Wright barely dropped into pass coverage at the University of Arizona and it’s been a point of emphasis in the early stages of his NFL career.

“He’s done an excellent job of trying to learn our defense, working very hard. He’s going to have a bright future,” Browns inside linebackers coach Johnny Holland said three weeks ago as mandatory minicamp wrapped up. “Scooby plays with the effort that we like. He’s a very intense player, and he had a lot of production in college.”

No one can deny the production...

Go to the link for the rest of the article.

Morgan Burnett asked if he could be used as AZ used Bucannon revealed this about Martinez.

The only true inside linebacker on the field in that package was rookie Blake Martinez, who not only appears to be on track for a starting job but as the third-down backer as well. But there was Burnett in the same vicinity, near where the second inside linebacker would play if Capers had called his nickel defense.

Correa looks like an impact rookie. 

(Joe Flacco got in his face yesterday)

The next step for Correa is to look as good against opponents as he looks against teammates. But he’s flying around the field, and the ball seems to find him. The Ravens’ second-round pick has intriguing potential as a versatile linebacker, who may start inside next to C. J. Mosley.

“He has had two interceptions already in what, four days or whatever?” Harbaugh said. “He stays around the ball and he’s in the middle of things. That is what we drafted. We drafted a high-energy guy.”

Blake Martinez.

The first thing to notice about Martinez during 11-on-11 drills is his awareness. You can see him scan the field and look over the formation. One play during Family Night on Sunday the offense split a running back out, and Martinez went with him. That’s something a rookie linebacker might miss. But Martinez was aware of what was happening in front of him.

Martinez isn’t an explosive runner — at the NFL scouting combine he ran the 40 in 4.71 seconds, which isn’t particularly fast for a coverage linebacker — and that’s the main reason he wasn’t picked higher than the fourth round. But he appears to play faster than that time suggests, and a little faster than what we’ve seen over the past year from Jake Ryan and Barrington.

For instance, on one play Sunday night Martinez matched up on receiver Davante Adams, and though Adams made the catch on a route breaking to the sidelines, Martinez was on his hip. He knew his assignment, and he showed the ability to turn his hips and run. It’s just that the pitch and catch were a little better.

We won’t know Martinez’s story in the running game until there’s live tackling in a preseason game. Barrington, for instance, is a thumper. Ryan also is a good hitter who presses the line of scrimmage and finishes plays. Is Martinez like that? Or is he a chase-you-down, rope-you-down guy like A.J. Hawk was later in his career?

All we’ve seen in the first week of practice when there’s no tackling to the ground, is that Martinez hasn’t been taking false steps, and he’s pressed the line rather than waiting for the ball carrier to come to him. We’ll see if does that and then finishes plays in live action.

It’s also worth pointing out that on Saturday morning, about a half hour before the official start of the 8:15 a.m. practice, Martinez was the lone player on the field stretching and warming up.

That tells you he’s a football guy, he’s there to prepare and get ready for practice. He’s a rookie playing full time, including running the dime defense even though he’s been with the team for only a few months. That’s a crucial role that requires multiple skills: running with a receiver on crossing routes, punching a tight end coming off the ball, staying with a running back, getting guys lined up correctly.

You didn’t see any glaring mistakes during Family Night. That’s a promising starting point.

Bills second-round ILB Reggie Ragland exited Friday's practice after suffering a non-contact knee injury.
Ragland injured his left knee while trying to defend a sweep run near the end of practice. He was on the ground for several minutes but was able to leave the field on his own power. Coach Rex Ryan couldn't offer up any details but admitted he's "very concerned." 

Updating a previous item, the Bills announced second-round ILB Reggie Ragland (knee) is expected to miss the entire season.
Ragland is undergoing surgery on his partially torn ACL this week. Some partial tears don't require surgery, but the ones that do normally end in a lost season. It's a big blow to the Bills' defense, and DC Dennis Thurman said it's one that is going to change the whole scheme. Zach Brown, Brandon Spikes, and David Hawthorne are all candidates to replace Ragland next to Preston Brown.

Users who are viewing this thread